Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey:
    [QUOTE]If they limit you to one IP address then either 2004Idiots or PinstripeZac will have to disappear.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

And??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey:
    [QUOTE]Sox only, no Yankees isn't the main problem. The biggest problem is recognizing the pretenders or concern trolls, closeted rival fans who come to purposely annoy. If regulars think that these con artists are legitimate then how will BDC be able to weed them out. So the basic problem will go unsolved. At least weeding out the forum using unique IP addresses will prevent someone like Mikey from having ten monikers that concern troll. The percentages will work in our favor since if you most most concern trolls are abusing the current system. Shoot a shotgun at a forum inundated with concern trolls and you will get mostly concern trolls.

The problem is that a web site, by definition is a public forum and as such is open to all.  It not really about Yankee fans or other teams fans it or even posters that are annoying with grossly different opinions.  It's about the pettiness and lack of civility that occurs when one can easily hide behind a keyboard and an Internet avatar.  

It's not only OK, .. but preferable to have differing opinions on a forum.  That is what they are for.  The cost of having them, however, is not suffering the opinions of Yankee fans or Rays fans or whomever.  That is talking or debating baseball which is kind of why we are all here.  The real cost is suffering along with the deliberate wanton stupidity and belligerence of some people, whether they be RS fans or not, who lack the civility to even attempt to make a point and at the same time comport themselves like grown ups.  Yes Yankee fans are a royal pain in the butt, that however, doesn't mean you can't debate baseball with them.  And,  a percentage of Yankee fans are complete imbeciles that should not have Internet access.  But, RS fans are pains too with a similar percentage of imbecile.  

The only answer is for the moderator to toss posters that go too far or don't follow the rules.  That is ongoing maintenance that will go on as long as there are forums.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : what?? joe theyre upgrading software to identify and ban ip address due to the multiple issues. was told sox site only is being developed which will be identical to this one. thats all. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Okay, then that has nothing to do with EE fans.  That's fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]"Sox only" might just mean that the talk has to be about the Red Sox not other teams. Maybe someone who continually starts "TB Will Not Go Away Part's I, II, III..." could be banned.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Great but are you aware that many times I've come here and of the 5 threads that appear on the main page 4 or 5 of them are about the Yankees?

Regardless, of the team being discussed it's all generally baseball related so it's indirectly about the RS.  And, I don't see how the Globe is going to do something that easily could be considered stifling free speech.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : " All I do know is they will now be able to identify and ban by IP address,..." They can't do that by IP address because the overwhelming majority of individuals use DHCP, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, to connect to the Internet.  Basically, the IP address changes every time you disconnect, then reconnect to the Internet.   Now, if the Globe was serious about banning Yankee fans, which they are not, they could force you to log on and then cull out the accounts that they thought were Yankee fans.   An easy way to identify Yankee fans computers, once the Globe's "Central Scrutinizer" determined that they were a Yankee fan would be Internet cookies.  They are little files that ones computer exchanges with a web site so that they know who you are as soon as connect to the sight.  That would be easily defeated by merely erasing ones Internet history after every session.  The Globe's web site might even go as far as getting the MAC address of the computer which is unique to each cpu and would be harder to fake but also hard to attain.  Technically is tracking certain fans that were considered Yankee fans doable, .. yeah but it would be a lot of work.  But, it's not doable by IP address. And, how would you know who is in fact a Yankee fan?  Do I need to give myself up?  What if I change my avitar to a RS logo?  What if I'm a Yankee fan but say I'm a RS fan?  What about fans from other teams, .. are they getting bannedf too?   Even if it were possible and the Globe did this what happens in a few weeks when aside from this site turning into a echo chamber, everybody realized that all the petty stuff really didn't go away that there were still posters that were twits and morons but they're also part of the Nation? And, finally, how do you think this it would look if a Newspaper, who's very existence is dependent of the 1st Amendment and free speech, made a public effort to stifle free speech?  It would be a public relation nightmare. Is this technically possible, .. maybe.  Is it practical, .. no.  Is it actually something the Globe is considering, .. absolutely not.   This is clearly a hoax, .. started by a Yankee fan no doubt.  
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

I believe this is false. Internet packet data would contain a log of all enroute IP (& MAC) info; this is how some sites know you've been there before, and from what I understand is how IP Discovery logic is implemented. As far as this being just a rumor, that is quite possible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : Okay, then that has nothing to do with EE fans.  That's fine.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Basically what it seems to mean is that one poster will have one ip address.

Kind of keeping wraps on trouble makers.

So unless you have access to multiple ip addresses you have to live by the site rules to stay onboard.

And even if you have more than one, take pike and pikette for example, changing names would be a thing of the past.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]"Sox only" might just mean that the talk has to be about the Red Sox not other teams. Maybe someone who continually starts "TB Will Not Go Away Part's I, II, III..." could be banned.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

dont think so moon. when we couldnt get on the site several weeks, i sent an email to the address I had from dealing with them regarding harness. i got an email back thanking me for letting them know they didnt relaize the forums were down. when they went back up, i emailed they were, got an email back they were working on upgrading the software and developing a sox only site. dont know if its in addition to or will replace this one. i think the answer is better moderation, as what they have now is clearly not enough. delete some that shouldnt be and visa versa imo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : Okay, then that has nothing to do with EE fans.  That's fine.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I think its to finally weed out the problem children from both sides, joe. what sox site only means is anyones guess but I took it as that, sox only. I think it should be both, as I always have, with better moderation. If I recall correctly when they tried the private forum, they allowed both both tried to keep the problem posters out. now with the ability to ban by ip address, may take care it it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : I think its to finally weed out the problem children from both sides, joe. what sox site only means is anyones guess but I took it as that, sox only. I think it should be both, as I always have, with better moderation. If I recall correctly when they tried the private forum, they allowed both both tried to keep the problem posters out. now with the ability to ban by ip address, may take care it it. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I believe you misconstrued her point.

This is a Sox site too.

What it seems to imply is a new site with better moderation controls over members.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : What took so long? I beleieve this capability has been around for nearly a decade, as I've previously discussed. As far as this Japanese Internment Camp treatment for those of the NYY bent, shouldn't they do this for problem posters as well?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

dont know but my guess is they didnt want to spend the money to do it. I think the answer is better moderation and banning when warranted. who will determine and do it, I have no idea. frankly, there are problems on both sides. should go on content and disruption, not fandom IMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : I believe you misconstrued her point. This is a Sox site too. What it seems to imply is a new site with better moderation controls over members.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

maybe, TWM but not sox only, obviously. dont know if its in addition to or another.  not sure they would have two sox sites on boston.com. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

If they were striving for a Sox fan only site would they put all applicants on truth serum to find out your true loyalties?

Sounds like to pike's consternation what they have in mind is just a way to employ better controls over names, ip addresses and site behavior.

Which is a good idea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]If they were striving for a Sox fan only site would they put all applicants on truth serum to find out your true loyalties? Sounds like to pike's consternation what they have in mind is just a way to employ better controls over names, ip addresses and site behavior. Which is a good idea.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

agreed. its the multiple screen names, the banned account, which aren't permanent, so they are able to do the thread bumping and impostors, are the biggest issue. may put pike out of business 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : I believe this is false. Internet packet data would contain a log of all enroute IP (& MAC) info; this is how some sites know you've been there before, and from what I understand is how IP Discovery logic is implemented. As far as this being just a rumor, that is quite possible.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Internet packet data would change with every session.  Internet Service Providers generally use DHCP.  In fact to get a static IP address, one that doesn't change, it usually cost more and you have to ask for it.  DHCP assigns you an IP address every time you log in but it's not the same address so tracking IP addresses would never work.  Even most major corporations are getting away from static IP addresses for most of their users.

Tracking MAC addresses is possible but there is also security measures that prevent that information from being given.  If you use a corporate computer it likely has a configuration at the computer, router and firewall levels that work to not give out that information as part of their over all computer security.  A little ingenuity and effort and ones home computer could have the same protection.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]SOSH moderates their forum and manages to identify those who go there with the intent to pretend, annoy, and inflame. It's a subjective process but worthwhile. Many of our concern trolls probably tried SOSH and left or were booted because their routine didn't work there or wasn't permitted, so they came here where anything goes.

Yeah like you pike. Condemning the behavior of every other poster.

Mr. fox guarding the hen house.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey:
    "Sox only" might just mean that the talk has to be about the Red Sox not other teams. Maybe someone who continually starts "TB Will Not Go Away Part's I, II, III..." could be banned.
    Posted by moonslav59

Great but are you aware that many times I've come here and of the 5 threads that appear on the main page 4 or 5 of them are about the Yankees?

Regardless, of the team being discussed it's all generally baseball related so it's indirectly about the RS.  And, I don't see how the Globe is going to do something that easily could be considered stifling free speech

I agree. I was the one starting the "TB Will Not Go Away" threads, and think they were highly relevant to the Red Sox. 

I was just pointing out that maybe "Sox only" was being misiterpreted to mean "only Sox fans allowed" rather than "only Sox talk allowed".

I sincerely hope Jessey and others are not banned because of their loyalties, and what about Hill55 as a Mariners fan? Losing him would be a big loss in perspective as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : dont think so moon. when we couldnt get on the site several weeks, i sent an email to the address I had from dealing with them regarding harness. i got an email back thanking me for letting them know they didnt relaize the forums were down. when they went back up, i emailed they were, got an email back they were working on upgrading the software and developing a sox only site. dont know if its in addition to or will replace this one. i think the answer is better moderation, as what they have now is clearly not enough. delete some that shouldnt be and visa versa imo
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I don't read what you said here as BDC saying they will ban all non Sox fans. It might mean that, but it is not clear.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Got scared for a minute - took about 15 minutes to log-in. It was not accepting my password or recognizing my e-mail address. Very strange - but glad I am still here.

I can't say I know much about IP addresses and all that other good stuff. I do know that Kim has been advocating againt closed profiles and all Yankee fans clearing marking their profiles that we are indeed Yankee fans. I guess it is like wearing a scarlet letter on one's chest.

Anyway - I really do enjoy this forum & I hope I get to stay. It has opened my eyes to many things that I never knew, especially about this great rivalry. Moon and Harness have taught me about WAR and Cera and all those other metrics (I hate metrics) and most importantly I have learned that one can be friends with the enemy. Now just imagine if world leaders learned that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Got scared for a minute - took about 15 minutes to log-in. It was not accepting my password or recognizing my e-mail address. Very strange - but glad I am still here. I can't say I know much about IP addresses and all that other good stuff. I do know that Kim has been advocating againt closed profiles and all Yankee fans clearing marking their profiles that we are indeed Yankee fans. I guess it is like wearing a scarlet letter on one's chest. Anyway - I really do enjoy this forum & I hope I get to stay. It has opened my eyes to many things that I never knew, especially about this great rivalry. Moon and Harness have taught me about WAR and Cera and all those other metrics (I hate metrics) and most importantly I have learned that one can be friends with the enemy. Now just imagine if world leaders learned that.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

jess, I'm sure everyone wants you to stay, not sure you'll beat out Jete tho;) Dottie said in her message the site would be experiencing  problems, while the software upgrade was being implemented

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill - Wish You All Well - Enjoy Life - Regards - Jessey : jess but I'm sure everyone wants you to stay, not sure you'll beat put Jete tho;) Dottie said in her message the site would be experiencing  problems while the software upgrade was being implemented
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Me and Jete are going to fight Tongue Out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Got scared for a minute - took about 15 minutes to log-in. It was not accepting my password or recognizing my e-mail address. Very strange - but glad I am still here. I can't say I know much about IP addresses and all that other good stuff. I do know that Kim has been advocating againt closed profiles and all Yankee fans clearing marking their profiles that we are indeed Yankee fans. I guess it is like wearing a scarlet letter on one's chest. Anyway - I really do enjoy this forum & I hope I get to stay. It has opened my eyes to many things that I never knew, especially about this great rivalry. Moon and Harness have taught me about WAR and Cera and all those other metrics (I hate metrics) and most importantly I have learned that one can be friends with the enemy. Now just imagine if world leaders learned that.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

That happened to me too jessey. I got scared that my sarcastic nature finally put me over the line and that I got booted.  Glad I'm still here and also glad that you are as well.

Also: I dislike metrics too. It's not that I can't grasp them, but after nearly thirty years in the survey/engineering field, too many numbers tend to make me sleepy.