Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

Nowhere is it reported that Ortiz sat out the second game because of his injury. Ortiz was not the only Red Sox player to not play in both games. I am sure this was a coaching decision. If Farrell thinks it was a better course of action to give him the second game off in an abundance of caution..I have no problem with that. I assume the coach knows better than anyone in this forum.

Well put.  The armchair managers are so tiresome.

He wasn't out there. He should have been out there. If it was Farrell's decision then it was his bad decision. I can understand it if Ortiz plays in the field too, but he doesn't. All he has to do is grab a bat and maybe run the bases a little. We needed his offense and he sat on the pine. This was one of the reasons we lost.

Nonsense...then by that logic you can say that about any of the players Farrell sat for the second game. The Sox didn't lose the second game because Ortiz was not in the lineup. By your logic..they should have won the first game...I am not going to play armchair quarterback with Farrell leading the team. He has more baseball acumen in his little pinky finger than any one of us possesses in total. He is a good coach. The Monday morning quarterbacking was a fun sport last season with Valentine..who could possibly go down in history as the worst Sox coach..but it is not necessary this season.

I agree with the wisdom of not having a player..one day off the DL..play 3 games in two days. It's a long season and this is just the beginning.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Nowhere is it reported that Ortiz sat out the second game because of his injury. Ortiz was not the only Red Sox player to not play in both games. I am sure this was a coaching decision. If Farrell thinks it was a better course of action to give him the second game off in an abundance of caution..I have no problem with that. I assume the coach knows better than anyone in this forum.

He wasn't out there. He should have been out there. If it was Farrell's decision then it was his bad decision. I can understand it if Ortiz plays in the field too, but he doesn't. All he has to do is grab a bat and maybe run the bases a little. We needed his offense and he sat on the pine. This was one of the reasons we lost.

Another pink hat armchair quarter back. 

It was a double header, lots of times a coach changes things up and sits players during double headers. The only reason this is even mentioned is because he sat Ortiz. If it were any other player they'd be no mention or question on Farrell's decision.

Ortiz is a DH, not a particularly stressful position to play. Some of the position players managed to play both games. Unless you think the lineup is more potent with Ortiz out of there, he should have taken his ABs. If he gets three hits out of 9 PAs he runs the bases three times too. Big deal. He gets paid to play, not to sit.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

It was a double header, lots of times a coach changes things up and sits players during double headers. The only reason this is even mentioned is because he sat Ortiz. If it were any other player they'd be no mention or question on Farrell's decision.

Ortiz is a DH, not a particularly stressful position to play. Some of the position players managed to play both games. Unless you think the lineup is more potent with Ortiz out of there, he should have taken his ABs. If he gets three hits out of 9 PAs he runs the bases three times too. Big deal. He gets paid to play, not to sit.

Gee maybe you should give John Farrell a buzz, I'm sure he'd be glad to take your thoughts under advisement. 

I love armchair quarterbacks that say being a DH isn't particularly stressful.... I'd love to see you out at bat on a professional level with a ball coming at you over 95 mph.  Pffft, what a joke.

Why take a chance with Ortiz so early in the season? I'd rather them sit him now when they can.

He gets paid to put on a Sox uniform, it's the coaches call on who plays. 

I didn't blame Ortiz. I am sure is the coach's call. I fault them. For me being a DH would of course be hard, but thats not what I do. Thats HIS job. I do my job; he should do his.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Gee maybe you should give John Farrell a buzz, I'm sure he'd be glad to take your thoughts under advisement. 

I love armchair quarterbacks that say being a DH isn't particularly stressful.... I'd love to see you out at bat on a professional level with a ball coming at you over 95 mph.  Pffft, what a joke.

Why take a chance with Ortiz so early in the season? I'd rather them sit him now when they can.

He gets paid to put on a Sox uniform, it's the coaches call on who plays. 

I didn't blame Ortiz. I am sure is the coach's call. I fault them. For me being a DH would of course be hard, but thats not what I do. Thats HIS job. I do my job; he should do his.

If your boss tells you to take the day off, do you? 

Not always, actually-when I was working. The group I worked for owed me 40 hours a week of work. They did not have the right to tell me to use my vacation when I didn't want to. Again, I am not blaming Ortiz. I am blaming whichever coach made the decision to sit him in game 2. I don't think it was a good idea.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Let Red Sox management make the decisions on Papi's schedule, boys.  Relax.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Papi's slash line so far .625/.625/.750/1.375. The numbers don't lie. He is doing his job. And all this when he says he still doesn't feel comfortable. The man sure plays a mean banjo. His critics don't have a leg to stand on. Just hot air and no facts to back their blowhard opinions. Now that's embarrassing.

The desperation of the Ortiz bashers is really something to behold. Can you imagine if he'd gone 0-for-4 his first day?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Obviously, they do. That does not prevent us from expressing our opinion when they make a bad call. For the benefit of Ms Obstinate, I will rephrase my post so it is clearer: I do my job; Ortiz should be allowed to do his. He makes a lot of money and if he is not yet ready to play he should be at Pawtucket.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Obviously, they do. That does not prevent us from expressing our opinion when they make a bad call. For the benefit of Ms Obstinate, I will rephrase my post so it is clearer: I do my job; Ortiz should be allowed to do his. He makes a lot of money and if he is not yet ready to play he should be at Pawtucket.

Pink hat.

Not being sure what you mean by "pink hat" I looked it up. Here is what I found:

Answer

A pink hat red sox fan is typically female and trendy. However, most are bandwagon fans who have just latched on the recent success of the Red Sox

This is inaccurate on both accounts. First, I am not female. And second, I have been following the Red Sox since you were a gleam in your father's eye-since the late 1950s. Better find a more accurate name if you would like to degrade the conversation into a name calling contest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He's just coming back from an injury that was serious enough to sideline him a long time.  They're being cautious.  Pretty simple.  If they sit him again after playing the next two games maybe it's an issue.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

So basically, we really really need his offense (I agree), but on the other hand, if he's not going to play every single game (or both games of a doubleheader, in this case) he should be at Pawtucket? What does that gain us exactly?

Hard to believe people are arguing about this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

He's just coming back from an injury that was serious enough to sideline him a long time.  They're being cautious.  Pretty simple.  If they sit him again after playing the next two games maybe it's an issue.

What I heard is that the Achilles injury is actually healed completely. Its his heel now, and thats a relatively recent injury. The fact that he is out of a game again is already a concern. We need him in the lineup if he is physically able to play.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

If it's plantar fasciitis, it most probably will bother him the whole season.  It takes a long time to heal.

Since, supposedly, his achilles is healed, it could be plantar...