Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

It surprises me that no one responded to my suggestion that Ortiz may have plantar fasciitis.

Especially, if anyone here has had it.  It's not that uncommon of an ailment.  It usually affects people who are active or on their feet long periods of time, and it's VERY painful in the heel or bottom of the foot.  Just walking, in itself, can be extremely painful.

It can take months to heal up...after orthopedic shoe inserts and long acting cortisone injections.

Ask me.  I can personally vouch for the pain it causes.

No.  I'm not a doctor.  I'm a pharmacist.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

It surprises me that no one responded to my suggestion that Ortiz may have plantar fasciitis.

Especially, if anyone here has had it.  It's not that uncommon of an ailment.  It usually affects people who are active or on their feet long periods of time, and it's VERY painful in the heel or bottom of the foot.  Just walking, in itself, can be extremely painful.

It can take months to heal up...after orthopedic shoe inserts and long acting cortisone injections.

I had thought that originally, my good friend had the same thing and I remember how much pain she was in, it still comes back to haunt her from time to time.

Sorry I didn't reply,  I figured it would just add fuel to the Ortiz haters fire. Plus, none of us are the Sox/Ortiz's doctor so the only one's that really know what is going on is really Ortiz and his doctor.

Of course, only the medical staff knows.  Unfortunately, sometimes their past history dealing with medical diagnosis etc. has been suspect.  And, sometimes I don't think they really want to disclose everything to the public. 

No need to apologize for not responding.  Smile  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I had thought that originally, my good friend had the same thing and I remember how much pain she was in, it still comes back to haunt her from time to time.

Sorry I didn't reply,  I figured it would just add fuel to the Ortiz haters fire. Plus, none of us are the Sox/Ortiz's doctor so the only one's that really know what is going on is really Ortiz and his doctor.

I meant to respond earlier but got sidetracked.

I try not to get involved in medical issues, because I know no two injuries are the same, people have different pain threshholds, and healing times vary. That's just too many variables to have any idea what is going on.

Yes, only Ortiz and the doctor know what happened. There's nothing in Papi's history to think he did not work as hard as possible to get back as quickly as possible. I think he deserves our benefit of doubt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

If my comment that Ortiz possibly has plantar was interpreted that he hasn't worked hard or whatever, it was not my intention.  I realize he works very hard.

Plantar just happens. IF that is what he has, it's not a fault of his own.

I'm NOT SAYING it's what he has.  All I do know is that it's not that an uncommon of a condition and is extremely painful.

Yet, I wouldn't put it beyond the medical staff to not say anything.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Exactly what statistic do you base this on? So far he IS hitting; last year he hit too. In fact, its been a very long time since he hasn't produced.

There wasn't any "last year". There was a few months of a partial season and then shelf.

Hermida was hitting "so far" after a few games. Ortiz is punch and judy and his tiny sample with come crashing down. He's paid to hit the ball out and drive it deep in the gaps, for 140 plus workload.

There you go again.  You don't like anyone on this team because you aren't the GM.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Funny how it didn't bother softy that A-Gon wasn't hitting very many home runs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If my comment that Ortiz possibly has plantar was interpreted that he hasn't worked hard or whatever, it was not my intention.  I realize he works very hard.

Plantar just happens. IF that is what he has, it's not a fault of his own.

I'm NOT SAYING it's what he has.  All I do know is that it's not that an uncommon of a condition and is extremely painful.

Yet, I wouldn't put it beyond the medical staff to not say anything.

I didn't mean to imply you felt he didn't work hard. That was more for the resident clown.

Yes, many times certain ailments are kept from the public and the opponents for various reasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Funny how it didn't bother softy that A-Gon wasn't hitting very many home runs. 

Excellent post. It's an ever-changing criteria for the resident clown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Its normal to sit a player, especially with 2 games in one day, after a lengthy stint on the DL. Not sure why this surprises some folks. With papi's specific situation I would expect him to have a few games off this year and certainly not be overused in one day. Its a long season, and we all know hes dealing with heel issues that the team will need to be cautious about this year.

Not to mention..and this bears repeating...Ortiz was not the only player to sit in the second game. How come all those questioning Farrell's decision are only questioning his decision to sit Ortiz and not the other players? This is only an issue because certain people in this forum are fixated on Ortiz' every move.

I am pretty sure that we are all in basic agreement that a two year contract is a golden parachute for Ortiz. We all get it..we don't have to like it ( and I have said many times I don't like the two year contract)..but it's a done deal. Are people really going to spend the next two seasons second guessing all things Ortiz? Geesh.

Also..I am with msobstinate. I don't believe the claims of a poster who states he is a doctor...although I would like to know what kind of doctor.

Added to that...this is the Red Sox front office on whom we are relying for information. For all we know..Ortiz could have some underlying condition which causes the pain and inflammation in his heel. I'm confident that our resident "doctor" can rattle off an entire list of things that have nothing to do with the Achilles injury. In any event..that would be Ortiz' private business.

Well, I am a doctor. Retired now for nearly two years except for volunteer work taking care of kids in my area with no medical insurance. Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant to that fact.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If it's plantar fasciitis, it most probably will bother him the whole season.  It takes a long time to heal.

Since, supposedly, his achilles is healed, it could be plantar...

That should heal in a matter of months. Furthermore, its treatable with shoe inserts or even steroid injections. I do not think thats what he has. I got rid of my case of it in about two months, but I was able to train for a marathon with it. Hurts like hell the first two miles, but after that its a non-issue.

I believe that Ortiz's Achilles problem was in his left leg but the heel problem is on the other side. Its not related.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

pumpsie:  There is no need to tell us what kind of doctor you are.  It will only lead to a million questions from the person who ask.  Besides, she is skilled in finding out tons of personal info with the least little info.

She can use her time that way if she wants to. Its going to be a colossal waste of time though. I am a boring underpaid pediatrician.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

If it's plantar fasciitis, it most probably will bother him the whole season.  It takes a long time to heal.

That should heal in a matter of months. Furthermore, its treatable with shoe inserts or even steroid injections. I do not think thats what he has. I got rid of my case of it in about two months, but I was able to train for a marathon with it. Hurts like hell the first two miles, but after that its a non-issue.

I believe that Ortiz's Achilles problem was in his left leg but the heel problem is on the other side. Its not related.

I'm not suggesting it's related...never have.

You're lucky with the plantar. Mine took longer...and it comes back...with inserts and dexamethasone/triamcinolone injections.

With both knees being replaced, my running days are over.  So, I walked 5 miles a day.  With the plantar, I have trouble walking to the mailbox..LOL. I've been dealing with it off and on now about a year.  Wish me luck.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

You're lucky with the plantar. Mine took longer...and it comes back...with inserts and dexamethasone/triamcinolone injections.

With both knees being replaced, my running days are over.  So, I walked 5 miles a day.  With the plantar, I have trouble walking to the mailbox..LOL. I've been dealing with it off and on now about a year.  Wish me luck.

Generally its worse first thing in the morning and getting up after a long period of sitting. You have probably tried this, but if you haven't, sometimes dorsiflexing your foot (trying to flex your foot back up towards your head) with a straight leg before getting up can help. It stretches out some of the tendons involved with the condition. And obviously, no walking barefoot. Use well padded slippers. I realize that I was lucky, but I was not going to let that condition prevent me from running the marathon. Good luck with it! It really should be time limited.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Generally its worse first thing in the morning and getting up after a long period of sitting. You have probably tried this, but if you haven't, sometimes dorsiflexing your foot (trying to flex your foot back up towards your head) with a straight leg before getting up can help. It stretches out some of the tendons involved with the condition. And obviously, no walking barefoot. Use well padded slippers. I realize that I was lucky, but I was not going to let that condition prevent me from running the marathon. Good luck with it! It really should be time limited.

Thanks for the advice.  Actually, I'm trying/tried everything..even got one of those plastic devices that immobilizes the foot while asleep.

It has been getting better recently.  So, with time it'll hopefully get better.

Thanks again for the concern.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

wow, all this because I blocked you on twitter?

Oh please..I could care less about you blocking me on twitter. Your tweets were boring anyhow. Didn't Pete Abe tweet once that you were tedious..? That pretty much sums you up in one word. If it helps you sleep at night to tell yourself that then by all means have at it. You believe what you want to believe anyhow...you did care about the truth. I'll say it again...you are not a quality person...even though you pretended to be.

[/QUOTE

You seem to remember a lot for someone who does not care. I have not followed him in two years.  I don't remember him saying that but you seem to remember more about my tweets then me. I have had my twitter account locked down for years, I guess you have your ways.

LIAR.

Wow!  Hell hath no fire....

Yikes!  What the hell are people talking about?  Sounds like a soap opera???

Let it go girls!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A-Gon wasn't hitting very many home runs.

Over 2011 and 2012, AGon has over 200 RBI's. Ortiz has 75% of that amount because he's been on the shelf since last summer.

It's about slugging all season and driving in runs. Ortiz is a punch and judy guy, now, which started with his breakdown last summer that caused him to produce 1/2 season production.

It's a pipe dream to think he's going to have 100 RBI's and a high slugging average. Ortiz is a punch and judy guy, now, who offers next to nothing by gettong base.

I just commented, before the fact, that it would be up to Napoli and Middlebrooks to pick-up the slack that is punch and judy aging out, Ortiz.

Papi had 29 HRs in 605 PAs in 2011.

He had 23 HRs in 383 PAs in 2012.

Yes, playing all season vs half a season makes a huge difference, but playing half a season does not magically turn you into a "punch and judy hitter". I know you like to create your own definitions for English words and expressions, but "punch and judy" does not mean you play half the games; it means you do not hit with power in the games you do play in.

I see no reason to expect a marked decline in HR per PA or Slg% from 2012 beyond natural age regression. Some maybe, but not enough to turn him into "punch and judy" overnight.

Silly clown!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

A-Gon wasn't hitting very many home runs.

Over 2011 and 2012, AGon has over 200 RBI's. Ortiz has 75% of that amount because he's been on the shelf since last summer.

It's about slugging all season and driving in runs. Ortiz is a punch and judy guy, now, which started with his breakdown last summer that caused him to produce 1/2 season production.

It's a pipe dream to think he's going to have 100 RBI's and a high slugging average. Ortiz is a punch and judy guy, now, who offers next to nothing by gettong base.

I just commented, before the fact, that it would be up to Napoli and Middlebrooks to pick-up the slack that is punch and judy aging out, Ortiz.

But....  If he can play the banjo while doing the punch & judy?  If so, I say we play him.

Nice to hear you're rooting for Papi though... 

Do you have any idea how foolish you sound?

You sound like the spoiled littel tubby kid who's mommy always wiped for him & told him he was the most special boy ever.  She always gave you your way, & when the other kids inevitably shunned you, she told you they were jeolous.  As were all your teachers, coaches, neighbors, etc..... 

Dude!  Seriously.....   get a grip.

It's ok to be WRONG now and again......  and again...... and again....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

wow, all this because I blocked you on twitter?

I think it's because miscricket doesn't like LIARS. 

Haha..well at least he pretty much admits he lied about the twitter thing. He's had his account locked down for 2 years...except that he accused me of creating that account approximately 18 months ago.

Sections
Shortcuts