Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

Lol, my post got deleted? The moderators have strange priorities.

Ah well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

If he can keep that average, then I would sign him for the next five years. The last two years he started well, last year obviously the injury and the year before he like the rest of the team, did nothing down the stretch. Is great to see him do well, but the homers need to come. Singles are for the guys not making 15 million per year.

Papi has always taken a minute to get the HR stroke going.  At this juncture, we want him to be hitting singles anyway.  MLB pitchers have known better than to give papi anything he can turn on for years.  The difference between 09 and 10, when he was trying to make up for maybe a downtick in bat speed and also a loss of Manny,  by trying to cheat and get around on everything near the plate, and 11 and 12, when he was an absolute beast in full rennaisance, is that he started taking what pitchers were giving him (thanks to Adrian perhaps?).  He started poking singles around the yard, and suddenly pitchers had to pitch him honest, and THAT is when he started going yard consistently.  

Singles are important for the guys making 15 million a year.

As far as Ortiz taking a minute to get the home run stroke going, I will leave that to the stat heads of the forum. I think last year and the season before he started off quickly.  It is still a minute into his joining the team but a month is already gone.  The singles do not impress me because they do not impress Ortiz either.  Pitchers will gladly give up a single to David every at bat.

I doubt anyone is impressed by singles out of sluggers.  However, that doesn't change the fact that hitting those singles leads to closing up the plate which leads to impressive home runs.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

flapjack: I hope you noticed that I kept my repsonses to a sentence with one post several sentences.

Connan leaves short messages to me all the time, and you don't see me responding with 5 or 6 very long posts mirrored by another poster who duplicates everything.

Conan / Triumph / MrYazz / Carnie all post that way. You should be used to that by now.

i was not complaining Pike, by now you should now that.  for a while now I have let connan's remarks slide by.  My point was that one remark should not warrant  a slew of posts.

But I have put ms on ignore and will leave miscricket on ignore.  I promise there will be no more interaction from me from this point on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If he can keep that average, then I would sign him for the next five years. The last two years he started well, last year obviously the injury and the year before he like the rest of the team, did nothing down the stretch. Is great to see him do well, but the homers need to come. Singles are for the guys not making 15 million per year.

Here is the thing Jackbu: its certainly possible for Ortiz to have an off year this year. The question is, is it reasonable to ASSUME that he will have an off year? To answer that you look at his last two or three years of performance for the team. Past performance is the best indicator for future results, though its certainly not a guarantee. IF HE STAYS RELATIVELY HEALTHY, he should do fine. I like OPS+ if you are going to use a single measure of offensive production for a player, and here is what he has done: 2012: 172, 2011: 154, 2010: 137. Standard OPS for the same three years: 1.026, .953, .899. There is no cogent reason to EXPECT him to play poorly. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

David Ortiz is a Sox icon. Deserves all the respect in the world.  But , seriously , he can't DH in both games of a doubleheader ?  Give me a break .

Guess he's not as tough as you are.

I am tougher than you would care to deal with. 

That's hilarious!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

We have a stooge posting a slugging stat in a sample size of an atom, and another poster boasting about Ortiz's OPS before he hit the shelf nearly a year ago!

You punch and drivel posters miss the entire point! Ortiz has been on the shelf since last summer and couldn't get out of bed to start this season! He had about half the year of 2012 and all winter and early spring to be ready. Yet he's still in bed to start the season. And then, in a doubleheader sweep loss from the hapless Royals, he's back in bed for Game 2 while the team struggles to find slugging production to back decent pitching staff work that was put in the position of having to be one and half steps above perfect just to split the doubleheader.

This team was built for Ortiz to provide year long slugging. That's not going to happen. He's a punch and judy hitter with no more bat speed than Iglesias, who doesn't have the Constiution to sustain season long slugging production. Get it over and put him on the field for what he's paid to do, and if he breaks down then 60 day DL him and allow the team to settle in and adjust to a style of baseball that relies on speed and top defense. This team isn't going to get the season home record job done when it comes to trying to outslug the AL, and bottom feeding off weak slugging teams like the Rays isn't going to offset the problem. The sooner they expose Ortiz's patent infirmities and adjust, the better. 

81 games are played in Fenway, and no more than 18 games are played in any other single venue. Losing to the O's and hapless Royals at home is a serious problem that the current early record doesn't erase. This team isn't going to get it done with Ortiz slugging, even though the GM constructed it that way. The sooner the realization and adjustments are made the greater the chance the team and the manager adjusts and tries to make the playoffs with a team character of team defense and speed and adequate overall pitching staff performance.

Because of Fenway, this GM is incompetent in understanding value and allocation of labor costs in trade and FA market. This is how great managers earn their money, despite the GM. My mind is still open on Toronto bust manager John, who does seem to understand confidence and approach to pitching. Beyond that, my mind is still open. We'll see, but I'm watching how he handles and adjusts to the fact Ortiz aint gonna get it done in the slugging department.

Where was this kind of criticism when Adrian Gonzalez was a punch and judy hitter?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where was this kind of criticism when Adrian Gonzalez was a punch and judy hitter? 

There was some, but not by softy the clown and his sidekick BILL "Papa Do Preach" 806.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That was my question too. 

I think we can expect a candid and thoughtful answer from softy on this any minute now.  He might even re-think his position. LaughingLaughingLaughing   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

FWIW:

In 2012 when Ortiz hit 23 HRs and was on a pace for 35-plus, it took him eight games to hit his first home run.

In 2011 when he hit 29, he hit one home run in each of his first two games. BUT ... he didn't hit his third home run until May 2.

In 2010 when he hit 32, he didn't hit his first home run until his 12th game (his only home run for the first month).

So anyone making a big deal that Ortiz hasn't hit a home run after just three games simply just wants to complain. 

But hey ... who am I to let facts get in the way of a good rant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

That was my question too. 

I think we can expect a candid and thoughtful answer from softy on this any minute now.  He might even re-think his position. LaughingLaughingLaughing   

Don't hold your breath. He will likely divert the question to Drew, Wake of some mistaken position you might or might not have held years ago.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I see no reason to expect a marked decline in HR per PA or Slg% from 2012 beyond natural age regression.

Thanks for making my case, stooge.

PA can't come from the disabled list. His HR per season is the issue, stooge. Leave it to you to bash Ortiz and follow Olney's lead to release him in 2010, then fall asleep and fail to recognize what a washed up middle of the order punch and judy hitter looks like.

You went on and on about washed up Wastefield, and you will go on and on about washed up Ortiz. At this point, he's a punch and judy pinch hitter guy who splits time at DH.

Over this two year contract, Ortiz and the "natural age regression" will manifest in DL stints and RBI and HR season averages that reflect a bench guy, part-time DH and pinch hitter.

His latest words reflect the reality that he knows there will be no more fooling and getting a big contract anymore, which reflects the reality that Ortiz has bad wheels that aren't going to get better without PED. Unless the Red Sox use him as a part-time player, he's going back on the DL in less than 3 months.

Back-up drive activated.  Position noted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I see no reason to expect a marked decline in HR per PA or Slg% from 2012 beyond natural age regression.

PA can't come from the disabled list.

Listen clown, lack of PA is not the defintion of "punch & judy" no matter how much you try ti think it is.

His HR per season is the issue, stooge. Leave it to you to bash Ortiz and follow Olney's lead to release him in 2010, then fall asleep and fail to recognize what a washed up middle of the order punch and judy hitter looks like.

Stop the lies. I never said release Papi. I wanted him demoted from the 3 slot. You, on the other hand, wanted to slap him in the face and send him to AAA.

You went on and on about washed up Wastefield, and you will go on and on about washed up Ortiz. At this point, he's a punch and judy pinch hitter guy who splits time at DH.

Begin your Lowell treatment as I projected.

Over this two year contract, Ortiz and the "natural age regression" will manifest in DL stints and RBI and HR season averages that reflect a bench guy, part-time DH and pinch hitter.

You were fully behind extending him for 2 years for more money than I was, and even called me a racist for daring to "lowball" him. Then, he got hurt and you crumbled like a dried up coffee cake.

His latest words reflect the reality that he knows there will be no more fooling and getting a big contract anymore, which reflects the reality that Ortiz has bad wheels that aren't going to get better without PED. Unless the Red Sox use him as a part-time player, he's going back on the DL in less than 3 months.

I know you are praying this happens as you did with Jake & Jed. You are no true Sox fan, clown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

I see no reason to expect a marked decline in HR per PA or Slg% from 2012 beyond natural age regression.

PA can't come from the disabled list. His HR per season is the issue, stooge. Leave it to you to bash Ortiz and follow Olney's lead to release him in 2010, then fall asleep and fail to recognize what a washed up middle of the order punch and judy hitter looks like.

check out a cpl of players you drooled over this past winter....

adrian gonzalez 18 games  2 hr

v mart 17 games  0 hr 4 rbi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

check out a cpl of players you drooled over this past winter....

adrian gonzalez 18 games  2 hr

v mart 17 games  0 hr 4 rbi

Don't forget Reed Johnson at .125.

Lyle Overbay .259

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I showed the results of the 6 starters you wanted for 2012: it was hideous. I'll do the same this fall. The results will be the same.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester and Buch are two of the starters I wanted for 2012. Be sure to show the cost of the starters you wanted, which inculde Santana. You have to like Gio, who you bragged about.  

I didn't want Santana for 2012. I suggested dumping CC's contract for someone like Zito or Santana, but made it clear I did not expect anything from them. Of course, your reading comprehension skills are so limited you missed the boat... 

again.

Sections
Shortcuts