Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Thru 08 he was on fire and I never had a bad thing to say.  That post season when he went 1 for 13 was when I started to think differently. 

The whole concept of a "clutch hitter" is largely a myth.  It is so difficult to hit a baseball, that to excpect a hitter to remain consistent during any 13 to 16 PA stretch is absurd. To expect that a hitter can "turn it up a nothch" when it is clutch time and consistently do better is something not found in baseball, at least for long sample sizes.

Even Mr. October, Reggie Jackson had these numbers in some selected playoff series:

(PA) BA/OPS

1973 ALCS:  (21) .143/.286

1974 ALCS: (17) .167/.662

1977 ALCS: (18) .125/.347

1980 ALCS:  (12) .273/.697

1981 ALCS: (5) .000/.200

1982 ALCS: (20) .111/.478

1986 ALCS: (28) .192/.519

His career ALCS BA: .227 with an OPS of .679. He was lucky his teammates were good enough to help get them to the 5 Worls Series he got to that allowed him to go .357/1.212 in thos 116 PAs.

How about Babe Ruth going 1 for his first 12 in the WS? Also, in 1926, he went 2 for 17 with no HRs and a ,426 OPS. Maybe they should have traded him back to the Sox after that one.

I am sure there were people who complained about reggie as well.  We are not even talking about a 1-13 during the alcs, it was the dvision series.

Ruth eventually did get traded or let go and ended up with the Boston Braves. The Yankees kept him around a few extra years banking on he would sell seats, the same reason the sox signed Ortiz to a two year deal, but the plan isn't working for there are lots of empty seats at fenway.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

and there are my dogs. it never fails that when I call they come running.  They are so well trained.

Jackieboo recently answered this ad in the Globe

Sensitive man with lots of personality/ies seeks "companionship" with fellow papiknockers.

He, Bill-69, & Stiffy are vacationing on the upper-Cape this summer ;0

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Wow that got removed in record time. But thanks dirtdog.  Are the reports of Papi's demise still exaggerated?  a 3 for 4 day with his recent strike out having Dustin in scoring position.  He saved face and avoided a 0 for 20.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

jackiebooboo,

The hyberbole of forcasting papi's demise is simply foolish.  If you embrace that, as does your guy pals Billy-69 & Stiffy, no skin off my arccs.  If you want to look foolish???  Go for it!

;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

jackiebooboo,

The hyberbole of forcasting papi's demise is simply foolish.  If you embrace that, as does your guy pals Billy-69 & Stiffy, no skin off my arccs.  If you want to look foolish???  Go for it!

;)

I don't usually take into consideration what others think when I post.  As long as I stay insult free, you should have no issue with me.

The contract of Ortiz is once again looking bad. He is not even hitting the ball hard at the moment. When he was hitting well, I took the insults without tossing them back.

He went from 100 to 0 in record time.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am sure there were people who complained about reggie as well.  We are not even talking about a 1-13 during the alcs, it was the dvision series.

What's the difference? Reggie played in an era with no division series. The ALCS was the first round, until his 1981 first division series.

My point was that jusging players by 13 or 16 or even 160 PAs sample sizes so definitively as you do, is just nothing short of absurd. I'm sure if Papi goes 6 for his next 16, even if against good pitching, you'll find a way to discount it or minimize it.

Papi is going to end up with an OPS over .850 and quite likely over .900. It still may not end up being worth what he is paid, but he's not all washed up as you hint at.

He does have a .970 OPS vs Texas this year. He has a 1.012 OPS vs teams with a .500+ winning % last year, including 1.571 (his highest vs any team) vs the Yanks, 1.300 vs Detroit, 1.274 vs Oakland, 1,144 vs TB, and 1.400 vs WSH-- all with some darn good pitching.

Combining 2012 and 2013, here are the pitchers Papi has faced the most and his OPS vs them:

13 Hellickson  1.538

10 D Price      .875

9   J Shileds   .819

8   H Alvarez 2.125

7   B Chen     1.000

7   J Vargas   .619

6   P Humber 2.233

6  AJ Griffen 2.167

6  Ivan Nova  2.067

6  M Buehrle  1.667

6  M Moore    1.667

6 Verlander   1.500

6 D Holland   .833

6 T Patton    .500

6  R Romero .500

6 J Hammel  .333

6 J Parker     .333

6 K Drabek    .167

6 W-Y Chen   .000

I see a totally different picture here than you do. These are all the pitchers he has 6+ PAs against, and he seems to do better vs the better pitchers and worse vs the worse ones.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

I hope Papi didn't stop juicing just because Shaughnessy asked him the question.

funny, but there could be some truth here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I hope Papi didn't stop juicing just because Shaughnessy asked him the question.

Or it could be just another stupid remark.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Or it could be just another stupid remark.

Do you have a better explanation on how someone goes from where he was to where he is now?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is too funny. No good player has ever gone into a slump.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

That's funny, when I have called his 2 for 20 runs a slump, you guys had another definition for it.  Now that I drop the steroid word, you rush to call it a slump.  No problem, I can live with slump.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

ruff

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

and there are my dogs. it never fails that when I call they come running.  They are so well trained.

Jackieboo recently answered this ad in the Globe

Sensitive man with lots of personality/ies seeks "companionship" with fellow papiknockers.

He, Bill-69, & Stiffy are vacationing on the upper-Cape this summer ;0

Do you read these ads a lot? I hope you find your sensitive man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's funny, when I have called his 2 for 20 runs a slump, you guys had another definition for it.  Now that I drop the steroid word, you rush to call it a slump.  No problem, I can live with slump.

I never denied it was a slump.

I never denied Papi used steroids.

I have called you and others out for using small sample sizes to definitively judge players and/or selectively using snapshot sample sizes to definitively judge players while ignoring or explaining away snapshot sample sizes tha go counter to your position.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm still waiting for a reply to the numbers that show Papi has hit good pitchers better than poor ones...

Combining 2012 and 2013, here are all the pitchers Papi has faced with 6 or more PAs  and his OPS vs them:

13 Hellickson  1.538

10 D Price      .875

9   J Shileds   .819

8   H Alvarez 2.125

7   B Chen     1.000

7   J Vargas   .619

6   P Humber 2.233

6  AJ Griffen 2.167

6  Ivan Nova  2.067

6  M Buehrle  1.667

6  M Moore    1.667

6 Verlander   1.500

6 D Holland   .833

6 T Patton    .500

6  R Romero .500

6 J Hammel  .333

6 J Parker     .333

6 K Drabek    .167

6 W-Y Chen   .000

I see a totally different picture here than you do. These are all the pitchers he has 6+ PAs against, and he seems to do better vs the better pitchers and worse vs the worse ones.

Sections
Shortcuts