Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to LionSean's comment:

The guy hits the biggest HR in years for the Sox, and he still has all these haters.

He's 6 for 28 this playoff season with 3 HRs and 7 RBI in 8 games. He has 7 walks and has been OB 13 out of 35 PAs.

He has hit good pitching all year long, until the recent 4 game stretch. Within that 4 game stretch, he nearly single-handedly carried us to a win.

Still, the hate.

This is sick!

He single handedly carried us to a tie game. Salty and Gomes carried us to the actual win. I don't hate ortiz just calling as I see it for any player.

By that logic, Napoli single handedly carried us to a win the other night. Right?

I would tend to think the story of this series up until last night is our starting pitching. Odd that any Red Sox fan thinks Ortiz is THE story of this series.

1) I said "near single-handedly" as no one player wins or loses any game. It's a team game. If just one guy makes an out Papi never gets up for a chance to hit the granny.

2) I will defend any good hitter that is being bashed over a small sample size. (Not saying you are bashing him, but some clowns have been relentless by not looking at the big picture, but instead coming on here and starting threads everytime Papi sneezes.

3) It's always about the pitching to me, but it's hard to blame the fans who see the granny as the defining moment of this series.

I for one don't like when people use the term "single handedly" or even "nearly single handedly". Every play that happens on the field during a baseball game brings you to the place where the big plays happen.

I have to say I agree with a couple of the others here. It seems like there is a lot of free passes given to certain player while other players get piled on when they make the smallest of mistakes. Ortiz must be a symbol of the Red Sox to many people on this site because he gets credit for most things.

I am sure we are all hoping that he comes through when the chips are down...but the Red Sox have also more than demonstrated that they can win games when Ortiz is slumping. For myself..I'd rather give attention and laurels to the unsung heroes of the game.

To me...for this ALCS Red Sox fans should be on the ground kissing the feet of our pitching staff..not gushing over a DH.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

To me...for this ALCS Red Sox fans should be on the ground kissing the feet of our pitching staff..not gushing over a DH.

'Gushing' over 'a DH'?  Hmmm...it sure sounds like you're taking a shot at both Ortiz and his fans.

Fans can 'gush' over whoever they want.  It's part of the fun of being a fan.  I don't know why it would bother you.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

'Gushing' over 'a DH'?  Hmmm...it sure sounds like you're taking a shot at both Ortiz and his fans.

Fans can 'gush' over whoever they want.  It's part of the fun of being a fan.  I don't know why it would bother you.

If you think that was a shot, then you must not hang around with baseball fans outside this virtual community.  I will be watching the game with Yankee fans tonight, there will be lots of shots from everyone then.

You are right, fans can gush over whomever they want.  Fans can also post stats on whomever they want, even when the stats don't make the players who are usually gushed over, look good at that moment.

Clown

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Not taking a shot at all. It's just that I find this BDC forum somewhat unique for some of the views. Ortiz gets a hit and there are an abundance of threads and comments praising him. Napoli hit's a gamewinner..or Salty...not so much love.

However..when Naps or Salty don't deliver..or when one of the pitchers don't deliver...there's a lot of piling on. Not so with Papi( well...from Bill maybe..but he is essentially castrated whenever he posts the slightest critique of Papi...lol)

You're right...people in the forum are free to gush or criticize any player on the team..and to like ( or dislike) who they choose. Just wish everyone else understood that.

It doesn't bother me who people gush over. I am enough of a true, die hard fan to support them when they are down..and to understand that EVERYONE on the team is the reason they are where they are. Just a different philosophy from some here I guess on the idea of team sports.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

If you think that was a shot, then you must not hang around with baseball fans outside this virtual community.  I will be watching the game with Yankee fans tonight, there will be lots of shots from everyone then.

You are right, fans can gush over whomever they want.  Fans can also post stats on whomever they want, even when the stats don't make the players who are usually gushed over, look good at that moment.

It can be tough watching these games with fans from out of town. For example...I laugh when people on this site call Peralta "Roid boy" etc. I would never even mention that in front of some of my out of town friends...why? Because they all say the same thing about our guy Ortiz...!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Ortiz gets a hit and there are an abundance of threads and comments praising him. Napoli hit's a gamewinner..or Salty...not so much love.

That's an exaggeration.

If there were a thread created every time a .309 hitter got a hit, that's all you see here.

If you think the Ortiz grand slam the other night isn't deserving of a thread or two, then I don't know what to tell you.

However..when Naps or Salty don't deliver..or when one of the pitchers don't deliver...there's a lot of piling on. Not so with Papi( well...from Bill maybe..but he is essentially castrated whenever he posts the slightest critique of Papi...lol)

If some fans are piling on other players, because of their failures, it's probably the same folk that got on these players all season.

Ortiz was the best hitter on the Sox this year and one of the reasons they are in the postion they're in now.

That's the reason he and guys like Pedroia are cut a lot of slack.

Critisize all you want, but expect other memebers to speak up, if your opinions aren't grounded in reality.

Something Bill and Jack's posts, concerning Ortiz, rarely do.

BTW, Bill loves the attention he gets from his stupid posts.

That's why he does it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Maybe this has been addressed you guys, but why isn't Nava starting??

Is he hurt??

I think Nava would be be better offensively and defensively.  Granted, Gomes is making the plays, yet every time something goes his way is an adventure.  He threw out Cabrera, but I think Nava wouldn't have had a problem either.  Offensively, Nava is batting around .300 and Gomes is what? near the Mendoza line?

I just don't get it.  Is it because he beard isn't long enough??  What do you guys suppose is going on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to LionSean's comment:

The guy hits the biggest HR in years for the Sox, and he still has all these haters.

He's 6 for 28 this playoff season with 3 HRs and 7 RBI in 8 games. He has 7 walks and has been OB 13 out of 35 PAs.

He has hit good pitching all year long, until the recent 4 game stretch. Within that 4 game stretch, he nearly single-handedly carried us to a win.

Still, the hate.

This is sick!

He single handedly carried us to a tie game. Salty and Gomes carried us to the actual win. I don't hate ortiz just calling as I see it for any player.

By that logic, Napoli single handedly carried us to a win the other night. Right?

I would tend to think the story of this series up until last night is our starting pitching. Odd that any Red Sox fan thinks Ortiz is THE story of this series.

1) I said "near single-handedly" as no one player wins or loses any game. It's a team game. If just one guy makes an out Papi never gets up for a chance to hit the granny.

2) I will defend any good hitter that is being bashed over a small sample size. (Not saying you are bashing him, but some clowns have been relentless by not looking at the big picture, but instead coming on here and starting threads everytime Papi sneezes.

3) It's always about the pitching to me, but it's hard to blame the fans who see the granny as the defining moment of this series.

I for one don't like when people use the term "single handedly" or even "nearly single handedly". Every play that happens on the field during a baseball game brings you to the place where the big plays happen.

I have to say I agree with a couple of the others here. It seems like there is a lot of free passes given to certain player while other players get piled on when they make the smallest of mistakes. Ortiz must be a symbol of the Red Sox to many people on this site because he gets credit for most things.

I am sure we are all hoping that he comes through when the chips are down...but the Red Sox have also more than demonstrated that they can win games when Ortiz is slumping. For myself..I'd rather give attention and laurels to the unsung heroes of the game.

People like Ortiz because he is the best hitter on the team and that he is been on the team a long time.

It isn't that odd. I don't think any of should try and choose who other peoples favorite players should be.

Mine used to be Darnell McDonald. That doesn't mean I think he should have been yours too.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah, I can understand Yankee fans taking shots at Ortiz, jack.  When Red Sox fans do it it's a little different.  And when you do it all the time, it's a little weird.

Have fan with your Yankee fan friends taking shots at Ortiz. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Ortiz is not the only player leaving men on base.

With the exeption of this thread, most Ortiz threads are started by bill and then your clown antics follow. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How's this...

the guy soty said was "the key to the Sox advancing to the playoffs" was benched for Bogey, and off we go!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Close to a 2nd post season grand slam and a power shot 2 run homer  Go Big Papi

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

boom goes the big Papi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and the clown thinks Big Papi should retire!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

people on this board must love eating Crow.

Probably why they are so silent today.....their mouths are stuffed. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

So while you're hanging out with Stiffy & your other Yankee troll friends, why don't you explain to them that the theory of mutual exclusivity does not apply to every situation. 

SMART Red Sox fans are able to walk & chew gum at the same time.  Contrary to your lack of understanding, we actually get the fact that our guys, INCLUDING Papi, were absolutely shut down by some of the greatest pitching I, or most other Red Sox fans have ever seen.  We get the fact that Papi, along with the rest of the team did not look good at all.  We get that they were MADE to look silly by unreal pitching.  It happens, as real baseball fans well know.  WE, as opposed to you, also know that our pitching was pretty damn good.  Excellent in fact.  We ARE "kissing the feet" of our pitchers, while marveling at Papi's clutch hitting.  We're also marveling at the clutch hitting of Vic, who had been made to look absolutely horrific by Detroit pitching.  WE actually get the fact that Papi had also been made to look silly for the majority of that series.  All the while, we are also marveling at our continued AWESOME pitching.

While myopic Yankee trolls seem incapable of viewing baseball out of a vacuum, real Red Sox fans well understand that more than one thing can in fact be true at once time.  Thoughts & feelings are not necessarily mutually exclusive, as you clearly believe.  I actually like chicken and beer.  The two do not necessarily cause mayhem in situations in & of themselves.  Wake up clown!  I love Papi, despite his generally pathetic performance in the ALCS.  I knew there would come a time when he would come up big.  You hate him.  Stiffy hates him.  You & Stiffy are all about "being proven right," albeit by using flawed and sophemoric logic.  "If X is true, I am therefor ipso facto right," said Socrates. "I guess you must be!" replied Plato.  This is how Yankee trolls like you & the Stiffy boy are want to read Socratic debate.  Again.....  Wake up Stiffy!  It's not all about your feelings.  You clowns couldn't think your way out of a paper bag.

p.s.   GO PAPI!!!  Go Sox!  Go Gomesy!  Go Nava!  

p.p.s.  I hope that last thought is NOT on the list of approved mutually exclusive thoughts & feelings

;)   LOL   ;)

p.p.p.s   Suchk it stiff boy  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

10/23/13: Boston, MA: The Red Sox David Ortiz gets some serious air time as he slides across the plate with the third run on a first inning three run double by teammate Mike Napoli (not pictured). The Boston Red Sox hosted the St. Louis Cardinals in Game One of the World Series at Fenway Park. (Jim Davis/Globe Staff) section: sports topic: Red Sox(1)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

10/23/13: Boston, MA: The Red Sox David Ortiz gets some serious air time as he slides across the plate with the third run on a first inning three run double by teammate Mike Napoli (not pictured). The Boston Red Sox hosted the St. Louis Cardinals in Game One of the World Series at Fenway Park. (Jim Davis/Globe Staff) section: sports topic: Red Sox(1)

Awesome pic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

His lack of hustle is disappointing...

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts