Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

Here are some quotes from 'jackbu' from his '71 games' thread - his posts were deleted but parts of them are still there quoted by other posters.

All I can say when I read a post like this is wow, there really are some ignorant people out there." That is a stat that someone desperate to hold on to the past would use. Ortiz isn't close to being the player ted was. Sorry if my facts ruffle the girls in the crowd. Anything I post here are facts and not made up. Ortiz missed 71 games this season and there is the chance that this will be the way next season. I am not about to offer a 37 year old a multi year contract, especially when we see other older players breaking down in a hurry. Despite what he did before the injury, those are the numbers he ended with the season. Those are the numbers the owners should base their offer on.

Ortiz will no doubt miss a lot of games next season.  He will no doubt go 2 for 20 many times.  He will also get his hits and homers but they will be once again off bad teams and bad pitchers.

The sox did not get their 14.5 million worth from Ortiz this past season.  You are a pink hat fan if you think they did. Obviously there is a problem in the negotiations, because the talks aren't moving along as fast as first reported.

Here is a quote from 'The4040Club' from this thread.

There is no doubt Ortiz had a good year.  But it is fair to bring up that he is having a tough time against good pitching.  Possibly the second time around will be a charm.  The first time around against detroit starters has him batting 0.00.  Not a good stat for a clutch player.

Here is a quote from 'LionSean' from this thread.

Cause he is paid to be an offensive player. That is all he is paid to do and he's choking. 8 players in the lineup have better averages than your hero.

Besides someone has to bring the pink hat Ortiz hero worshippers back to reality. Only a pink hat would be giddy about a home run from a guy whose gone 1 for 15 in a championship series.

4040Club and LionSean showed up at the same time jackbu disappeared.

Same guy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and he was proven wrong the first time about Papi vs good pitchers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/batter_vs_pitcher.cgi?batter=ortizda01&min_year_game=2013&max_year_game=2013&post=1&opp_id=&throws=any&opponent_status=&c1criteria=&c1gtlt=eq&c1val=0&c2criteria=&c2gtlt=eq&c2val=0&orderby=PA&orderby_dir=desc&orderby_second=Name&orderby_dir_second=asc&submitter=1#gotresults&batter=ortizda01&min_year_game=2013&max_year_game=2013&opp_id=&throws=any&opponent_status=&c1criteria=&c1gtlt=eq&c1val=0&c2criteria=&c2gtlt=eq&c2val=0&orderby=PA&orderby_dir=desc&orderby_second=Name&orderby_dir_second=asc&ajax=1&submitter=1

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...but at least he can admit when he's wrong...

Where has he admitted he was wrong, without adding another jab in the same post?

Show us where.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LionSean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

thanks tho I can only go by what I see. The very first comment I made was followed up with 2013 and 4b declaring I was this jack person. Fact is I don't think 2013 knows anything about baseball since her comments don't reflect that. All I know is I see that bill has apologized left and right and still the kicking goes on. don't you think that is odd?

[/QUOTE]

well, there are alot of posters that get booted and come back under a new name.  it happens all the time and apparently you post similar to jackbu. 

bill apologizes and still manages to insult papi within the apology.  what you deem as innocent, most see as another sly attempt at disparaging ortiz. 

question - are you jackbu?  If not, were you previously a poster on this board that was banned? If so, what was your previous screenname?

or was September 2013 your very first post on this website?

[/QUOTE]

september was my first time on this forum. I followed a link here from an article I was reading. Seemed cool so commented and was promptly accused of being the infamous jack. gave up for a week or so but then tried again and decided to just fight the false assumption. I am not jack and I don't understand the comment about me posting similar to jack. Sorry can't change the way I write.

[/QUOTE]

L-Sean, FWIW, you don't strike me as Jackbu.  There is a lot of weird conspiratorial paranoia around here about posters being other posters.  Some of it is warranted (certain people getting banned all the time and coming back with new screennames).  But, the amount of Jackbu and Babe accusations that are way off base is truly funny.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Weird is a word for it. Incredible how stubborn people can be when they are wrong. I decided to take the comments with a grain of salt. I will say this-Bill might be an odd one but at least he can admit when he's wrong. 4b's and gf 2013 are something else. Your spot on about the way off base beliefs.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't the first to think you were a well-known Ortiz hater.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/ortiz-vs-top-pitchers/100/6817879?page=1

But, it amuses me that I'm the one that ticks you off the most.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

thanks tho I can only go by what I see. The very first comment I made was followed up with 2013 and 4b declaring I was this jack person. Fact is I don't think 2013 knows anything about baseball since her comments don't reflect that. All I know is I see that bill has apologized left and right and still the kicking goes on. don't you think that is odd?

[/QUOTE]

well, there are alot of posters that get booted and come back under a new name.  it happens all the time and apparently you post similar to jackbu. 

bill apologizes and still manages to insult papi within the apology.  what you deem as innocent, most see as another sly attempt at disparaging ortiz. 

question - are you jackbu?  If not, were you previously a poster on this board that was banned? If so, what was your previous screenname?

[/QUOTE]

september was my first time on this forum. I followed a link here from an article I was reading. Seemed cool so commented and was promptly accused of being the infamous jack. gave up for a week or so but then tried again and decided to just fight the false assumption. I am not jack and I don't understand the comment about me posting similar to jack. Sorry can't change the way I write.

[/QUOTE]

L-Sean, FWIW, you don't strike me as Jackbu.  There is a lot of weird conspiratorial paranoia around here about posters being other posters.  Some of it is warranted (certain people getting banned all the time and coming back with new screennames).  But, the amount of Jackbu and Babe accusations that are way off base is truly funny.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Weird is a word for it. Incredible how stubborn people can be when they are wrong. I decided to take the comments with a grain of salt. I will say this-Bill might be an odd one but at least he can admit when he's wrong. 4b's and gf 2013 are something else. Your spot on about the way off base beliefs.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't the first to think you were a well-known Ortiz hater.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/ortiz-vs-top-pitchers/100/6817879?page=1

But, it amuses me that I'm the one that ticks you off the most.

[/QUOTE]

You don't tick me off. In fact it amuses me that you usually comment within minutes of whenever/wherever I comment. What does this say about you?  you may not be the first but you are one of only a handful who stubbornly sticks by your wrongness.so cause one person stated something wrong you just buy it? In fact I'm getting quite a chuckle right now that you have all this information and comment links at your fingertips ready to whip out. Ya know what that tells me? That tells me me you have a problem and addiction maybe to the internets.

[/QUOTE]

LOL

I respond to a lot of members here.

You're not that special.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

You don't tick me off. In fact it amuses me that you usually comment within minutes of whenever/wherever I comment. What does this say about you?  you may not be the first but you are one of only a handful who stubbornly sticks by your wrongness.so cause one person stated something wrong you just buy it? In fact I'm getting quite a chuckle right now that you have all this information and comment links at your fingertips ready to whip out. Ya know what that tells me? That tells me me you have a problem and addiction maybe to the internets.

[/QUOTE]

Why not just admit that you're jackbu?  It's not a big deal.

What gives you away is not just your constant sniping at Ortiz, but your posting style is also identical to jackbu's.  Some things are easy to spot.

For example, you and jackbu are the only posters I've seen who keep switching between capitalizing the first letter in a sentence and not capitalizing it.  You probably weren't even aware you were doing this.  You can't help it, your DNA is in your posts. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What gives you away is not just your constant sniping at Ortiz, but your posting style is also identical to jackbu's.  Some things are easy to spot.

For example, you and jackbu are the only posters I've seen who keep switching between capitalizing the first letter in a sentence and not capitalizing it.  You probably weren't even aware you were doing this.  You can't help it, your DNA is in your posts. 

[/QUOTE]

there are other tell tale signs Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Man, maybe it was because I never paid attention to Jackbu's idiotic rants.  So, I did not become intimately familiar with his 'style'.  But Lion Sean strikes me, no matter his positions, as a good deal more intelligent and communicative than Bu.  But, I am no internet foresnics expert, so what do I know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

drop the charade, parties over

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you are spending way too much time on this especially since you are WRONG. Believe what you want but really dude you are barking up the wrong tree and are making an azz of yourself along with 4b and 2013.  Why would you ask me to admit to something thats not true?

[/QUOTE]

your poor fake family

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

you know what? looking at my comment above it occurs to me that I am spending too much time on this. I'm outta here I tried but you people are over the top. Enjoy your little internets war with "jack". too many other great forums out there for this bullshyt.

[/QUOTE]

leave the socks in the drawer

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be fair....you comment to his posts within minutes as well.  so what should that tell us?

hey kettle, this is pot, you're black.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does this look like decline?

2012-2013 counting playoffs:

PA   AB    H    2B  3B  HR  RBI    BB

Reg   983  842  263  64   2   53  163  132   

Post    63    50    18     3   0    5     13     12

Tot  1046  892  281  67   2   58  176  144

BA   .315  (23 points higher than his career)

OBP .406 (16 points higher than his career)

SLG .589 (17 points higher than his career)

OPS .995 (33 points higher than his career)

Yes, Papi declined from his 2005-2007 stretch, but he has improved greatly over his 2008-2010 stretch.

His 2012-2013 stretch is actually closer to his 2005-2007 stretch than his 2008-2010 one! In fact his .995 OPS is within 6 points of his 1.001 OPS of 2004.

58 HRs and 175 RBIs in 1046 PAs prorates to 36 HRs and 109 RBI over 650 PAs.

If you prorated to the 713 PAs he had in 2005, he'd have 40 Hrs and 120 RBI!

Now, factor in the guy who "protects" him in the line-up.  During Papi's best stretch from 2005 to 2007, he had Manny batting behind him. Now, he has had Napoli, Nava,  Gomes or Carp. One could argue that if he had a guy like the 2005-2007 Manny behind him now, he migh have equal numbers to those years, or at least much closer ones.

softy wants Papi to retire this winter. BILL worships the ground softy soils and would be happy with the "next Carlton Fisk" as our DH next year instead of Papi.

This would have been softy and BILL's team tonight:

C Ross

1B Overbay

2B Pedey

SS Iggy

3B Middy "leading us to the playoffs"

LF Bogaerts

CF JBJ

RF Reed

DH Lava

SP Jeremy Guthrie

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does this look like decline?

2012-2013 counting playoffs:

PA   AB    H    2B  3B  HR  RBI    BB

Reg   983  842  263  64   2   53  163  132   

Post    63    50    18     3   0    5     13     12

Tot  1046  892  281  67   2   58  176  144

BA   .315  (23 points higher than his career)

OBP .406 (16 points higher than his career)

SLG .589 (17 points higher than his career)

OPS .995 (33 points higher than his career)

Yes, Papi declined from his 2005-2007 stretch, but he has improved greatly over his 2008-2010 stretch.

His 2012-2013 stretch is actually closer to his 2005-2007 stretch than his 2008-2010 one! In fact his .995 OPS is within 6 points of his 1.001 OPS of 2004.

58 HRs and 175 RBIs in 1046 PAs prorates to 36 HRs and 109 RBI over 650 PAs.

If you prorated to the 713 PAs he had in 2005, he'd have 40 Hrs and 120 RBI!

Now, factor in the guy who "protects" him in the line-up.  During Papi's best stretch from 2005 to 2007, he had Manny batting behind him. Now, he has had Napoli, Nava,  Gomes or Carp. One could argue that if he had a guy like the 2005-2007 Manny behind him now, he migh have equal numbers to those years, or at least much closer ones.

softy wants Papi to retire this winter. BILL worships the ground softy soils and would be happy with the "next Carlton Fisk" as our DH next year instead of Papi.

This would have been softy and BILL's team tonight:

C Ross

1B Overbay

2B Pedey

SS Iggy

3B Middy "leading us to the playoffs"

LF Bogaerts

CF JBJ

RF Reed

DH Lava

SP Jeremy Guthrie

[/QUOTE]

Appropriately frightening for this time of year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy claimed Papi needed to be pampered after his return from the DL in April. He suggested Papi needed to be rested once a week and should not play in more than 105 games. BILL agreed and boasted everytime Papi rested a game or went oh for 4. Well, the results are in...

After tonight's game, Papi will have played in 153 games this year and had about 667 PAs.

The durability issue after his return from the early season DL has been decided.

Only 4 of the 153 games saw Papi not get the full amount of PAs possible from his slot. 

1) He pinch hit for one PA

2) He pinch hit for one PA

3) He was removed after 5 innings in a 12-1 game after getting 3 PAs.

4) He was removed after 6 innings in a 15-5 game after getting 4 PAs.

His combined regular season and playoffs numbers:

PA     AB    H   2B  3B HR   RBI  BB

Regular  600  518  160  38  2   30  103  76

Playoff     63    50    18     3  0     5    13  12

TOTAL   663   568   178  41  2  35  116  88

BA:     .313

OBP:  .401

SLG:  .577

OPS:  .979

His OPS is 47 points higher than his career OPS.

His OPS is 17 points higher than his career OPS with the Red Sox only.

His OPS is just .004 below his 2004 regular season OPS, which he could possibly pass up tonight with a 4 for 4 night with an HR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big Papi: World Series MVP!

His combined regular season and playoffs numbers (153 games):

PA     AB    H   2B  3B HR   RBI  BB

Regular  600  518  160  38  2   30  103  76

Playoff     68    51    18     3  0     5     13  16

TOTAL   668   569   178  41  2  35  116  92

BA:     .313

OBP:  .404

SLG:  .577

OPS:  .981

His OPS is 50 points higher than his career OPS.

His OPS is 20 points higher than his career OPS with the Red Sox only.

His OPS is just .002 below his 2004 regular season OPS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

I thought he was done.

I thought he was overpaid.

I questioned his athleticism.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong, and he has firmly planted himself among the most clutch performers in postseason history of any sport. What he did this year was refrigging diculous and may never be seen again. I hope every Boston athlete spends hours focusing on his eyes during each at-bat to help them understand what "clutch" is all about. We have been blessed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Punch and Judy stikes again!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts