Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Since Papi came back from the injury, he has played in 8 games out of 10 (in 11 days).

That's an 80% clip. If he continues at that rate and stays healthy, he'll end up at about 106 games played.

He won't, not that 106 games is the role he's payed to fill. He's toast as far as being capable of that, anymore.

My guess is he'll play over 90% of the games, if he stays healthy. That would put him at about 120 games. I would not be surprised to see him play in at least 125-130 games (some as a PH'er) this year.

He isn't starting any 120 games, despite your guess. "At Least" is truly the work of a stooge. At most, even with the PH to try and help you lie with statistics, he'll almost surely "play in" no more than 120 games.

I agree. Ortiz is hitting very well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Since Papi came back from the injury, he has played in 8 games out of 10 (in 11 days).

That's an 80% clip. If he continues at that rate and stays healthy, he'll end up at about 106 games played.

He won't, not that 106 games is the role he's payed to fill. He's toast as far as being capable of that, anymore.

My guess is he'll play over 90% of the games, if he stays healthy. That would put him at about 120 games. I would not be surprised to see him play in at least 125-130 games (some as a PH'er) this year.

He isn't starting any 120 games, despite your guess. "At Least" is truly the work of a stooge. At most, even with the PH to try and help you lie with statistics, he'll almost surely "play in" no more than 120 games.

& when you're proven wrong once again, as with........

Naps

Dempster

Vic

Nava

Buch

Carp

etc................   ???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Lie with the stats"? That's a good one!

I mentioned the PH'ing aspect, so how is that "lying"?

I have you down for Papi playing less than 80% of the remaining games (not counting PH'er games). I'm sure you'll be very happy to win this position. I'm sure if you lose, you'll deny ever saying it or change your IM.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since Papi came back from the injury, he has played in 8 games out of 10 (in 11 days).

That's an 80% clip. If he continues at that rate and stays healthy, he'll end up at about 106 games played.

OK, we've played 30 games. Since Papi has been back he has started 12 of the 15 games. He missed the 2nd game of a doubleheader and 2 others.

We have 132 games left and softy says Papi will not start in 106 total games this year or what amounts to 94 of the 132 games left.

He actually sounds like it's even absurd to expect 106 games started.

softy could be right, and it would be the first in a long time, but what a strange position to be so stauchly defending.

My position is that Papi is a DH that has remained remarkably healthy given is size and (reported) age. He had a bad heel injury, which for a big man is no laughing matter, but I'm putting my money on over 106 games started by papi in 2013. I think 120+ is very reasonable (108 out of the remaining 132 games).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Wait until Napoli hits the DL.... then we can have 2 players that everyone wanted based on "what if they played 162 game averages" wearing egg on the face.

Napoli seems perfectly healthy.  Easy to see what you're wishing for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Wait until Napoli hits the DL.... then we can have 2 players that everyone wanted based on "what if they played 162 game averages" wearing egg on the face.

I never expected Naps or Papi to play 162, but 130-145 was not a stretch.

I understand the importance of playing almost everyday, but when these two guys sit out, it's not like we go 0h for 5 every time. Gomes, Nava and Carp are not slouches at the plate, so we can hold our own when they are out. If someone like Pedey goes down, we'd be in trouble.

Napoli is not catching anymore, so maybe that will help his health.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Its not about how many games can Papi or Napoli play.

Its about where will the Red Sox be in late September w/ Napoli and Papi vs where would they be without. 

I disagree that the 20 or so million for Papi and Napoli could have been better spent.

What would our 3-4-5 look like right now without these guys?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If at the end of the regular season, Papi and Naps both have .OPS in the high .800's,  we are in position to make the playoffs, and they are both healthy at that juncture...

...Who cares whether they play 100 or 120 games?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I mean, Papi and Napoli are not ideal.  I think we are all holding our breath and crossing our fingers that they stay healthy.  Its really not worth it to debate, in my opinion.

Its not like there were better options in free agency, on the trade market, or in our minor league system.  It is what it is.  We are depending on the health of two guys who are longshots to stay healthy all year.

Just have to hope that they are healthy when the postseason comes around and that we can win enough of the games when these two arent in the lineup to make the postseason.

I do wish we had Justin Upton , because I dont like the look of the middle of our lineup when either Papi or Napoli isnt in it.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We have 132 games left and softy says Papi will not start in 106 total games this year or what amounts to 94 of the 132 games left.

Your prevarication isn't exageration, I never once said that Ortiz wound't start 106 total games! I said that unless they rest him frequently, they'll be lucky to get 120 starts out of him.

The notion that you foresee 120 to 130 starts (or games played) is out on a twig.

Ortiz is a part-time player, and your claim that you foresee 120 to 130 starts for 2013, and a repeat for 2014, is a total fantasy.

Ortiz will do well to appear in 120 games, this year, and next year.

"If he can keep it up" and "if he can stay healthy" is meaningless rhetoric.

He's not going to keep it up and he's not full season healthy, now. And he's not ever going to be "healthy", because he doesn't have the physical constitution anymore.

But I've noted that you think Ortiz is a 120 to 130 games started per season player, over the next two seasons.

Ortiz is going to test his physical limits to  start 110 to 120 games. The GM can't justify a 2 year deal at that rate for a guy who is little more than 2 out of 3 games, at best, profile.         

I'm holding out hope that we dont push Papi too hard for an extra 10-20 regular season games.  What we need is to trade for a big bat (once Nava cools off), so we can give Papi that extra rest while still having a decent middle of the order.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wait until Papi proves his dyspeptic critics wrong. That will be sweet!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your prevarication isn't exageration, I never once said that Ortiz wound't start 106 total games! I said that unless they rest him frequently, they'll be lucky to get 120 starts out of him.

This is what you answered to my earlier post:

Since Papi came back from the injury, he has played in 8 games out of 10 (in 11 days).

That's an 80% clip. If he continues at that rate and stays healthy, he'll end up at about 106 games played.

Are you, or are you not saying "he won't" start 106 games. Maybe you need to write a little clearer, if that is not what you intended to say. (see underlined answer)

The notion that you foresee 120 to 130 starts (or games played) is out on a twig.

Papi is a DH who doesn't run hard anyways. It is not outlandish to think he will start 108 out of the final 132 games. I'm not saying the odds are not high he may get hurt again, but I think 120 games is not a stretch. 

You are now saying he might reach 106, but 120 is "out on a twig". There's not much difference there, so are you on the same twig or what? Give us your number...

Ortiz is a part-time player, and your claim that you foresee 120 to 130 starts for 2013, and a repeat for 2014, is a total fantasy.

You dream that he gets hurt is creepy and strange.

Ortiz will do well to appear in 120 games, this year, and next year.

Again, how many do you see him starting this year and next? 110 and 105? Less? More?

"If he can keep it up" and "if he can stay healthy" is meaningless rhetoric.

Everything you post is meaningless rhetoric, so I guess you are the expert on that subject.

He's not going to keep it up and he's not full season healthy, now. And he's not ever going to be "healthy", because he doesn't have the physical constitution anymore.

Yes, Doctor softy. You know it all.

But I've noted that you think Ortiz is a 120 to 130 games started per season player, over the next two seasons.

120 this year/ 130 in 2014- yes. Now, what's you number to "note"?

Ortiz is going to test his physical limits to  start 110 to 120 games. The GM can't justify a 2 year deal at that rate for a guy who is little more than 2 out of 3 games, at best, profile.         

I never said the deal was justified, but I do recall you saying I was a racist for "lowballing Papi", and then a few short weeks later, you were suggesting a lower offer than mine was ($10M x 2 with easy PA based incentives that could bring him to $14M was my suggestion.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

prevarication

Hey softy- time for your new word of the week.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I mean, Papi and Napoli are not ideal.  I think we are all holding our breath and crossing our fingers that they stay healthy.  Its really not worth it to debate, in my opinion.

Its not like there were better options in free agency, on the trade market, or in our minor league system.  It is what it is.  We are depending on the health of two guys who are longshots to stay healthy all year.

Just have to hope that they are healthy when the postseason comes around and that we can win enough of the games when these two arent in the lineup to make the postseason.

I do wish we had Justin Upton , because I dont like the look of the middle of our lineup when either Papi or Napoli isnt in it.

Exactly.

I was all for getting Justin, and no, Ellsbury was not going to net us JU.

I do think the Papi signing was steep, but the papi/Napoli combo was a lot cheaper than other FA options out there this past winter.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Papi rules!