Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to jackbu's comment:

Numbers from the beginning's of David's return's did not help this homestand.  I can throw numbers at you all day, like my favorite which is 3 0f his 4 homers are off terrible pitchers.

It all comes down to what have you done for me lately.  Today Toronto is starting another really bad pitcher so possibly Ortiz comes out of it.

How about some context? How many HRs by the league are off terrible pitchers? Maybe 75% as well? maybe close to that?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

"It all comes down to what have you done for me lately. "

Maybe for you it does,I look at what I think he'll do over the course of the season.Lackey lost the last game he pitched.So even though he has an ERA 2.82,do you think the Sox should trade him because he's 1-3?

Buchholz gave up 4 runs in 6 innings to a pretty bad Twins team his last outing ,should he go too?What has he done for us lately?

David's trend over the last several years is to hit in clusters and then go silent.  I would much rather break the numbers down from week to week.  This way we get to see how clutch David is.  The numbers produced in a tight game with a score of 3-2 mean more to me then a blow out.  We can go on all day with numbers.  The most important stat is the present one.  0 for 16 for david and all he can do about it is laugh in front of a camera.

But today is another day and with the bad pitcher starting for Toronto, I am sure I will be hearing from the usual suspects, or at least looking at their names with ignore next to them.

I have expressed grave concerns for Papi's lack of clutch hits over the last 3-4 years. Blaming it on no Manny has some merit, but the fact is, he has come up short in that area.

This small sample size judgements are just plain silly. Every great hitter has gone Oh for 16 or had longer slumps than that.

When Papi was doing great, why didn't recent 16 PA sample sizes mean anything to you? It is clearly because you have an agenda.

Oh, and by the way, Yu Darvish is not a terrible pitcher, nor is Brandon Morrow (2.96 ERA last year and a sub 4.40 ERA this year if you take away Papi's HR. It's 2 terrible pitchers, 1 great pitcher and 1 good pitcher for 4 HRs, but I don't know why I'm even arguing this point. A 70 PA sample size and 4 HRs are tiny sample sizes to be picking apart with tweezers.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Don't understand why we can't just enjoy Ortiz' offense while it lasts.  I expect him to need rest from time to time but he doesn't look like a guy who is ready for pasture.  Why so much disrepect for a guy for who has done so much for the team in his career and is giving it his best this year as well?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ok, moonslav: Thanks, the lack of clutch hits is pretty much the core of what I have been saying.  Thru 08 he was on fire and I never had a bad thing to say.  That post season when he went 1 for 13 was when I started to think differently. With the exception of calling him a clown, I mostly just report his numbers and give opinions.  But you can check with ms and fourb's, I am sure they have all my bad comments on a personal disc.

The lack of clutch hits is why the stats need to go a little deeper.  Getting hits when the sox are ahead or behind by a lot is different when the game is 3-2.

His hits this year have been in more clutch times than recent years, so that's why I feel you are being selective with small sample sizes. He has a .956 OPS in Late & Close situations this year and an .892 high leverage OPS with more PAs than the 16 PA sampel size you are using to bash Papi now with.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to trantor's comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Don't understand why we can't just enjoy Ortiz' offense while it lasts.  I expect him to need rest from time to time but he doesn't look like a guy who is ready for pasture.  Why so much disrepect for a guy for who has done so much for the team in his career and is giving it his best this year as well?

If you want to catch Japanese Beetles, you bait a trap on a pole with the aromatic lure bait. If you want to draw JackBU out of the woodwork, you start a Papi thread.  It works year round.

disrespect is going to a game and yelling at a player.  When in McCoy I saw someone yelling at Ortiz from the box seats when he was on third.  I told that fan to shut up.

Coming here and posting why I thought a two year deal at a potential 30 mil was a bad idea, is simply my opinion and I doubt David reads this forum.

The posters who need to lash out at someone simply because there is a difference of opinion, have issues.  Their issues are evident in their new names, names of which have accumulated in excess of 700 posts in a short time.

wasn't trying to bait anyone and had no one particularl in mind when i wrote the post.  don't keep up with that stuff.  just sincerely wonder why Papi gets so much negativity.  he is clearly devoted to boston and hopes to play out his career in boston.  he is giving it his best but still some fans want to throw him to the curb.  i don't get it.  that's all.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thru 08 he was on fire and I never had a bad thing to say.  That post season when he went 1 for 13 was when I started to think differently. 

The whole concept of a "clutch hitter" is largely a myth.  It is so difficult to hit a baseball, that to excpect a hitter to remain consistent during any 13 to 16 PA stretch is absurd. To expect that a hitter can "turn it up a nothch" when it is clutch time and consistently do better is something not found in baseball, at least for long sample sizes.

Even Mr. October, Reggie Jackson had these numbers in some selected playoff series:

(PA) BA/OPS

1973 ALCS:  (21) .143/.286

1974 ALCS: (17) .167/.662

1977 ALCS: (18) .125/.347

1980 ALCS:  (12) .273/.697

1981 ALCS: (5) .000/.200

1982 ALCS: (20) .111/.478

1986 ALCS: (28) .192/.519

His career ALCS BA: .227 with an OPS of .679. He was lucky his teammates were good enough to help get them to the 5 Worls Series he got to that allowed him to go .357/1.212 in thos 116 PAs.

How about Babe Ruth going 1 for his first 12 in the WS? Also, in 1926, he went 2 for 17 with no HRs and a ,426 OPS. Maybe they should have traded him back to the Sox after that one.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts