Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

The thought that someone would find fault for a .625 BA is beyond belief.

Plus, you said, he wasn't going to even play again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The thought that someone would find fault for a .625 BA is beyond belief.

Plus, you said, he wasn't going to even play again.

I guess some people are never satisfied..lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

What say you, BILL?

Since you asked........ hHe has turned into a banjo hitter, that oh by the way, can't run !!!

The oh so knowledgable baseball fan Billy-69 speaks......   YAWN!

nice call based on 5 AB's Billy!  Look forward to you looking stupid once again!!!  Even if Papi does end up losing his power, which I sincerely doubt, you making this observation / prediction as though it sums up where he is at in his career, based on 5 GREAT AB's is beyond your normal stupidity.

Still trying to impress your girlfriend Stiffy?  Give it a rest Billy-69, you sound desperate for her constant approval.

WELL  ?????     BTW, 5 great at bats ????  Please spare me.......  4 singles, 1 double, at least 1 double play.......  SLOW, good thing ya don't need speed in the H R trot !!

He has more hits, doules and RBI's than Bradley already....and I think more hits then Iggy in the Minors so far.......but again.....facts are not your thing...we know.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated!

With Drew, Salty, Middlebrooks, JBJ, Ross & Gomes plate performance, we need him more than I ever would have admitted a year ago. I thought we'd be much better investing that money in the rotation.

Turns out maybe all we needed there was a little time for Webster!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

With Drew, Salty, Middlebrooks, JBJ, Ross & Gomes plate performance, we need him more than I ever would have admitted a year ago. I thought we'd be much better investing that money in the rotation.

Turns out maybe all we needed there was a little time for Webster!

I like Webster too, but he alone may not be enough to carry the bottom of our roatation. Lackey and Doubront are still big question marks, and Dempster has still not convinced me he can be a solid #3 starter for this team.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

What say you, BILL?

Since you asked........ hHe has turned into a banjo hitter, that oh by the way, can't run !!!

Bill, it's highly unlikely anyone was going confuse him with Rickey Henderson..

Hey Jete, 

Wouldn't we all pay huge dollars to see Henderson and Papi both in there prime days in a 100 yard dash. Scratching my noggin wondering who the winner might be !!

Cheers, Hetch 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

As always, it's easy to manage a baseball team from the armchair.

Personally , I am undefeated from my recliner. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Ortiz didn't do his job today or tonight. He's paid to slug, not single and go station to station. If he deosn't start slugging over the the fences and deep in the gaps, he's de facto done. No one has been a bigger supporter of Ortiz, but the 2 year contract was embarrassing. This should be his final season, and 2011 was probably his last high slugging production full season.

S. Drew has hit an embarrassing rock bottom, the only way is to either go up or go to sleep.

B I N G O !!!!!  Dad continues to say.......  "SON, that SOFTY knows his baseball " !!!!

Ummmmmm......  Your dad said "Softy knows his baseball"?  You might not want to ask your dad what "Mr Softy is"........you also might want to move out of your dads house......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

But , seriously , he can't DH in both games of a doubleheader ? Give me a break .

An old guy sits out for about 8 months. He then comes back and can't DH for a doubleheader. Great point, there's a problem, alright. After the break in between games, he sits on a sofa and takes a nap like Griffey, Jr. did, but he can't DH in the 2nd game.

I've been as big a supporter of Ortiz as anyone on this Board, but enough is enough. If the guy breaks down because he cann't DH 3 gimes in 2 days then let's get it over with. The notion that more time is going to save Ortiz's health is utterly absurd. He either has the Constituion to go or he doesn't.

This much I agree with: Ortiz should have been in the lineup in the nightcap. If he is not well enough to do that then he should be in the minors, forfeiting his $4M, until he is ready to play full time. However, your characterization of his performance as a "Punch and Judy hitter" is simply untrue, as are many of your posts. Last year he hit .318/1.026. This year he has had all of 8 ABs. You are not really going to use those 8 ABs to make a judgement about his production are you? Even though his OPS is 1.375 in those 8 PAs, I would not use that to describe him as a superstar. Would you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

But , seriously , he can't DH in both games of a doubleheader ? Give me a break .

An old guy sits out for about 8 months. He then comes back and can't DH for a doubleheader. Great point, there's a problem, alright. After the break in between games, he sits on a sofa and takes a nap like Griffey, Jr. did, but he can't DH in the 2nd game.

I've been as big a supporter of Ortiz as anyone on this Board, but enough is enough. If the guy breaks down because he cann't DH 3 gimes in 2 days then let's get it over with. The notion that more time is going to save Ortiz's health is utterly absurd. He either has the Constituion to go or he doesn't.

This much I agree with: Ortiz should have been in the lineup in the nightcap. If he is not well enough to do that then he should be in the minors, forfeiting his $4M, until he is ready to play full time. However, your characterization of his performance as a "Punch and Judy hitter" is simply untrue, as are many of your posts. Last year he hit .318/1.026. This year he has had all of 8 ABs. You are not really going to use those 8 ABs to make a judgement about his production are you?

Nowhere is it reported that Ortiz sat out the second game because of his injury. Ortiz was not the only Red Sox player to not play in both games. I am sure this was a coaching decision. If Farrell thinks it was a better course of action to give him the second game off in an abundance of caution..I have no problem with that. I assume the coach knows better than anyone in this forum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

What say you, BILL?

The oh so knowledgable baseball fan Billy-69 speaks......   YAWN!

nice call based on 5 AB's Billy!  Look forward to you looking stupid once again!!!  Even if Papi does end up losing his power, which I sincerely doubt, you making this observation / prediction as though it sums up where he is at in his career, based on 5 GREAT AB's is beyond your normal stupidity.

Still trying to impress your girlfriend Stiffy?  Give it a rest Billy-69, you sound desperate for her constant approval.

WELL  ?????     BTW, 5 great at bats ????  Please spare me.......  4 singles, 1 double, at least 1 double play.......  SLOW, good thing ya don't need speed in the H R trot !!

Bill, now that you have been officially proven wrong on your far-fetched He's Done crusade, and given the fact that he is hitting nicely in his first series back, I eschew any of my pervious forgiveness for your blather and now my offical stance is 

YOU S&^K!!

Seriously.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

This much I agree with: Ortiz should have been in the lineup in the nightcap. If he is not well enough to do that then he should be in the minors, forfeiting his $4M, until he is ready to play full time. However, your characterization of his performance as a "Punch and Judy hitter" is simply untrue, as are many of your posts. Last year he hit .318/1.026. This year he has had all of 8 ABs. You are not really going to use those 8 ABs to make a judgement about his production are you?

Nowhere is it reported that Ortiz sat out the second game because of his injury. Ortiz was not the only Red Sox player to not play in both games. I am sure this was a coaching decision. If Farrell thinks it was a better course of action to give him the second game off in an abundance of caution..I have no problem with that. I assume the coach knows better than anyone in this forum.

I know, some here fail to realize that it was probably Farrells decision to sit a bunch of guys. He said Vic could go but he wanted to sit him anyway. maybe papi wanted to go. Some here are so quick to jump without realizing there is more than just their assumptions.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This team was built for Ortiz to provide year long slugging. That's not going to happen. He's a punch and judy hitter with no more bat speed than Iglesias, who doesn't have the Constiution to sustain season long slugging production. Get it over and put him on the field for what he's paid to do, and if he breaks down then 60 day DL him and allow the team to settle in and adjust to a style of baseball that relies on speed and top defense. This team isn't going to get the season home record job done when it comes to trying to outslug the AL, and bottom feeding off weak slugging teams like the Rays isn't going to offset the problem. The sooner they expose Ortiz's patent infirmities and adjust, the better. 

81 games are played in Fenway, and no more than 18 games are played in any other single venue. Losing to the O's and hapless Royals at home is a serious problem that the current early record doesn't erase. This team isn't going to get it done with Ortiz slugging, even though the GM constructed it that way. The sooner the realization and adjustments are made the greater the chance the team and the manager adjusts and tries to make the playoffs with a team character of team defense and speed and adequate overall pitching staff performance.

Because of Fenway, this GM is incompetent in understanding value and allocation of labor costs in trade and FA market. This is how great managers earn their money, despite the GM. My mind is still open on Toronto bust manager John, who does seem to understand confidence and approach to pitching. Beyond that, my mind is still open. We'll see, but I'm watching how he handles and adjusts to the fact Ortiz aint gonna get it done in the slugging department.

Noted on backup drive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papi is softy's next Lowell. Bash him for months, then later say he was one of his favorite players.

Man, if only Ben had lsitened and got us Reed and Overbay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well put.  The armchair managers are so tiresome.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i always thought OP preaches to not look at small sample size.  how many games has ortiz been back?  let's see him in the lineup for 8 weeks and then dissect his numbers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

We have a stooge posting a slugging stat in a sample size of an atom, and another poster boasting about Ortiz's OPS before he hit the shelf nearly a year ago!

You punch and drivel posters miss the entire point! Ortiz has been on the shelf since last summer and couldn't get out of bed to start this season! He had about half the year of 2012 and all winter and early spring to be ready. Yet he's still in bed to start the season. And then, in a doubleheader sweep loss from the hapless Royals, he's back in bed for Game 2 while the team struggles to find slugging production to back decent pitching staff work that was put in the position of having to be one and half steps above perfect just to split the doubleheader.

This team was built for Ortiz to provide year long slugging. That's not going to happen. He's a punch and judy hitter with no more bat speed than Iglesias, who doesn't have the Constiution to sustain season long slugging production. Get it over and put him on the field for what he's paid to do, and if he breaks down then 60 day DL him and allow the team to settle in and adjust to a style of baseball that relies on speed and top defense. This team isn't going to get the season home record job done when it comes to trying to outslug the AL, and bottom feeding off weak slugging teams like the Rays isn't going to offset the problem. The sooner they expose Ortiz's patent infirmities and adjust, the better. 

81 games are played in Fenway, and no more than 18 games are played in any other single venue. Losing to the O's and hapless Royals at home is a serious problem that the current early record doesn't erase. This team isn't going to get it done with Ortiz slugging, even though the GM constructed it that way. The sooner the realization and adjustments are made the greater the chance the team and the manager adjusts and tries to make the playoffs with a team character of team defense and speed and adequate overall pitching staff performance.

Because of Fenway, this GM is incompetent in understanding value and allocation of labor costs in trade and FA market. This is how great managers earn their money, despite the GM. My mind is still open on Toronto bust manager John, who does seem to understand confidence and approach to pitching. Beyond that, my mind is still open. We'll see, but I'm watching how he handles and adjusts to the fact Ortiz aint gonna get it done in the slugging department.

He's a punch and judy hitter with no more bat speed than Iglesias, who doesn't have the Constiution to sustain season long slugging production.

Exactly what statistic do you base this on? So far he IS hitting; last year he hit too. In fact, its been a very long time since he hasn't produced. This is just more of your mindless drivel that is based on your faulty belief system that Ortiz is to be hated no matter what he does out there. My ONLY concern is that he is healthy enough to play most of the games, and in a month, if he is still out there, there will be NO concerns. Could he suddenly fall off a cliff offensively? Sure. Is it likely? Only with YOUR screwy logic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Well put.  The armchair managers are so tiresome.

He wasn't out there. He should have been out there. If it was Farrell's decision then it was his bad decision. I can understand it if Ortiz plays in the field too, but he doesn't. All he has to do is grab a bat and maybe run the bases a little. We needed his offense and he sat on the pine. This was one of the reasons we lost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i always thought OP preaches to not look at small sample size.  how many games has ortiz been back?  let's see him in the lineup for 8 weeks and then dissect his numbers.

It was not about his OPS or small sample size numbers, it was about him being back- period.

BILL said he was "done" and kept talking about his injury being career ending. Papi is playing. 

He does not hav an HR yet, and for this, he is being roasted.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

ahhh.  gotcha.  well, kinda strange to think that this injury would have been career ending.  it's not like he has to rundown flyballs in the OF.  just need him to jog around the bases 25 or so times a year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

ahhh.  gotcha.  well, kinda strange to think that this injury would have been career ending.  it's not like he has to rundown flyballs in the OF.  just need him to jog around the bases 25 or so times a year.

That's what I kept saying. The guy is a DH who never ran well anyways.

Sections
Shortcuts