Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Honestly, you people are still talking about softy?  How long has the guy been gone?  Some of you aren't happy unless you are raggin' on softy, bill or someone else.

I know the season isn't going well but I really do believe we are all at least average minded here.

Great minds discuss ideas;

average minds discuss events;

small minds discuss people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

That is one of my favorite quotes. I think it's great that Papi came through in a clutch situation. I am sure he's feeling better now that Naps is back and he has some protection.
    We need more of this from Ortiz though. In spite of the great hit, his batting average still went down last night..from .262 to .260.
    He needs to be more consistent. I was surprised when I picked up the sports section this morning and Ortiz 3 run game winning homer was not a headline.  Even Nick Cafardo is saying that Ortiz needs to step it up. ( actually..I can't remember if it was Cafardo or Abraham's article which said that..but I would guess Cafardo).

Anyhow..the weather is heating up..so I expect the bats will heat up as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

14 home runs is like having 30 on the punchless Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Honestly, you people are still talking about softy?  How long has the guy been gone?  Some of you aren't happy unless you are raggin' on softy, bill or someone else.

I know the season isn't going well but I really do believe we are all at least average minded here.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That is one of my favorite quotes. I think it's great that Papi came through in a clutch situation. I am sure he's feeling better now that Naps is back and he has some protection.
    We need more of this from Ortiz though. In spite of the great hit, his batting average still went down last night..from .262 to .260.
    He needs to be more consistent. I was surprised when I picked up the sports section this morning and Ortiz 3 run game winning homer was not a headline.  Even Nick Cafardo is saying that Ortiz needs to step it up. ( actually..I can't remember if it was Cafardo or Abraham's article which said that..but I would guess Cafardo).

some how I am thinking it wasn't Pete A.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Eleanor Roosevelt

It's a great quote and so true.

For an athlete ortiz is old, fat and slow.  That's not to say he's a bad player and no one can dispute the fact that he is a cluch hitter.  It is saying he ain't no kid, he could lose some weight and he lumbers around the bases

His bat is a big part of sox wins so I hope it heats up.  I'm not sure this team has what it takes to be competitive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Hey 67:  Aren't you from the Baltimore area?  What is up with no one in the park?  I know that since sox tickets are more available, people don't travel from Boston.  Looking at the camera shots, it seems the park is empty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Hey 67:  Aren't you from the Baltimore area?  What is up with no one in the park?  I know that since sox tickets are more available, people don't travel from Boston.  Looking at the camera shots, it seems the park is empty.

The park is usually pretty empty unless the sox or yanks are in town.  Since the sox aren't doing well their fans are

staying home.  Sox fans used to rock the yard and even sing sweet caroline.  Those were the days!

Of course O's fans didn't like us being there but we didn't much care. 

The local economy loved it when we took over the area.  Sox fans filled the hotels and restaurants.  No longer.

Back in the 80's after the O's won the WS that place was filled to overflowing with very loud O's fans. 

If the O's make a run for post season you will see more fans in the stands.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

softy's two highest projected performers were Middy & JBJ.

...'nuff said...

Sox4ever

If softy predicted jbj to be a slugger, then he was wrong.  I bet there were just a few who predicted JBJ's glove to this good or his arm.  JBJ is on his way to be in the discussion for a gloden glove this season.  Once again, although his average is .204, his rbi count is up there, a stat which seems to impress the national sports media people more than it does local.

When the discussion was going on in ST of 2013 about JBJ making the club that year, I suggested we play JBJ in CF and Jacoby in LF (if we didn't deal him away). I have always thought JBJ would be a great defensive CF'er. (One of the few things I have gotten right lately.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bradley reminds me a little of Herm Winningham, a lifetime .296 OBP guy with no power. I don't see Jackie having a future as a regular OF. He doesn't hit for power and he gets handcuffed by most hard throwers (hell so does most of the Sox players anyway). Good defender but Pokey Reese was one of the best defensive players I've seen and not much of a hitter (2 homers in a game once though).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Well..if we are going to bump up ancient threads when Ortiz hits one game winner..then it's only fair to bump it up when he goes 0-4...like he did last night.

Turns out it doesn't matter much how Peavy pitched. The game was lost in the first inning when Baltimore scored their single run.

Ortiz' average is now down to .254. Is this the lowest it has ever been?

Of course..never mind Ortiz...I am still wondering why Ross was in the game over AJ...and why we bothered signing Drew if he's not going to play.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Well..if we are going to bump up ancient threads when Ortiz hits one game winner..then it's only fair to bump it up when he goes 0-4...like he did last night.

Turns out it doesn't matter much how Peavy pitched. The game was lost in the first inning when Baltimore scored their single run.

Of course..never mind Ortiz...I am still wondering why Ross was in the game over AJ...and why we bothered signing Drew if he's not going to play.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Name another player that's won a game for the Sox recently.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Winning a game on occasion isn't much to brag about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you are talking about his homer the other night, other players scored runs and hit RBI's.  Jackie Bradley made a few catches which prevented a few doubles and maybe a triple. Ortiz did not win the game all by himself.  Those players he hit home weren't just placed on base.  Just the last two games even with the homer he is 1 for 9.  Not worthy enough to start bashing Softy all over again.

I love him on the team, but like all the rest of the players, he needs more production.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Good point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

67: Just saw your comment.  You just ruined 4b's morning coffee.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It is when it's the only one in 7 games.

With the way this team is playing, I'm taking every win as something special.

But, I get that the haters got to hate.

Ortiz is a bum because he doesn't win it every night.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Fans are blinded by the long ball........ PAPI has 14 to date & hitting about 250 ...... Lets own up to it, HIS TIME IS DONE, HE REALLY DOES NOT BRING MUCH TO THE TEAM GOING FORWARD !!!      Oh yes,  "WHAT SAY YOU"  ???

i will say that you have posted this exact same thing the past 4 years.  and every year you have been WRONG.  topped off by God winning the WS MVP this past season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

no one is bashing Ortiz.  JBJ gets more hate posts than anyone and his glove is saving more runs than most on the team are producing.  Add JBJ's risp average and rbi's and he is looking like a superstar to many.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

no one is bashing Ortiz.  JBJ gets more hate posts than anyone and his glove is saving more runs than most on the team are producing.  Add JBJ's risp average and rbi's and he is looking like a superstar to many.

[object HTMLDivElement]

JBJ WAS hitting with RISP.

He's got 1 RBI this month after getting 20 in April and May.

That, along with his bad BA is why he's benched.

But, I don't see 67 , or any of the other Ortiz haters saying a word about it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Fans are blinded by the long ball........ PAPI has 14 to date & hitting about 250 ...... Lets own up to it, HIS TIME IS DONE, HE REALLY DOES NOT BRING MUCH TO THE TEAM GOING FORWARD !!!      Oh yes,  "WHAT SAY YOU"  ???

Every time you post something like this you confirm that you know very little about the game of baseball.

99% of the posters on this site realize that Ortiz is still by far our biggest offensive weapon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

JBJ WAS hitting with RISP.

He's got 1 RBI this month after getting 20 in April and May.

That, along with his bad BA is why he's benched.

But, I don't see 67 , or any of the other Ortiz haters saying a word about it.

Do you even watch the games? Last night was his first night off in a while for JBJ.  He did not play to make room for Size who has been on the bench.  Check the stats on redsox.com.  In the last seven days JBJ has played 5 games and has a .235 average.  In the last 7 days Ortiz has played six games and has a .192 average.

Talk about people making things up.

[object HTMLDivElement]

BALTIMORE -- Jackie Bradley Jr., 3-for-14 with 10 strikeouts over his last four games, is headed to the bench for a little while.

How long?

"Undetermined right now," Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell said Monday, when he gave the start in center field to Grady Sizemore.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2014/06/jackie_bradley_jr_moved_to_the.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2014/06/jackie_bradley_jr_moved_to_the.html

Sounds like a benching to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Every time you post something like this you confirm that you know very little about the game of baseball.

99% of the posters on this site realize that Ortiz is still by far our biggest offensive weapon.

[object HTMLDivElement]

You may want to revise that to about 95%.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Grady's 0 fer doesnt help to send the young man a message.

i'd rather have the hitless guy who is beastmode defensively in the lineup

i can see giving JBJ a game or two on the pine but for JF to say "undetermined right now" is puzzling.

weird season so far......

Sections
Shortcuts