Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Rumors of Papi's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated !

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to steven11's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

This thread never dies...

Sox4ever

MOON, I look forward to my  BDC check every month !!!

Is that why you beg like a 6 yr old, every time you're given a vacation?

And I use the term vacation, because it's a vacation from stupidity for the rest of us.

How do you know that he begs?  Do you have an informant who works for BDC?

Bills banned posts still showed up on his page.

People posted some of them.

doesn't mean he was begging, just checking to see if he was reinstated.  Begging would be calling bdc and getting reinstated within hours of getting banned.  Bill sat out his time like a man, even your buddy has said this several times.

You obviously didn't read them...

You want to be a Bill cheerleader, knock yourself out.

obviously you did not read my comments to Bill on his latest Ortiz thread.  Go ahead and prove me wrong and post Bill's comments on his begging.  Like I said, even your friend has complimented Bill on his waiting out his suspension.  In fact, she cheerleaded for him by starting a thread for his return.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

You obviously didn't read them...

You want to be a Bill cheerleader, knock yourself out.

obviously you did not read my comments to Bill on his latest Ortiz thread.  Go ahead and prove me wrong and post Bill's comments on his begging.  Like I said, even your friend has complimented Bill on his waiting out his suspension.  In fact, she cheerleaded for him by starting a thread for his return.

Nobody's perfect...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

2 HR's & 6 RBI.  WHAT SAY YOU????????

Mods:  is it possible to "sticky" this thread so it stays on page 1 for the next year or two?

other names i have posted under:  none

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This thread is like the Energizer bunny.

It keeps going and going and going.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ya got to like  "BIG PAPI< DAVID ORTIZ".....  I mean, how many hitters can hit under 250 but still play an occasional  HOME RUN DERBY ????     Great game last night, keep the milkshakes coming !!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ya got to like  "BIG PAPI< DAVID ORTIZ".....  I mean, how many hitters can hit under 250 but still play an occasional  HOME RUN DERBY ????     Great game last night, keep the milkshakes coming !!!

Too bad there are no milkshakes to cure terminal stupidity.

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Perhaps, but this being the 1400th POST on this THREAD, the  BDC must be just thrilled with MR> MOON  &  BILL-806   !!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I've been warned by the MODS not to insult Bill. Thanks for picking up the slack. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Pretty funny isn't it-Bill's ideas about how Ortiz has been finished for YEARS now. You know, I feel like I should block this post, but I can't. Because its true. Bill-your ideas about Ortiz being washed up are not your most shining moment here. Maybe its time you recanted and repented.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Can he really hit 40 HR this season? Holy moly.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Can he really hit 40 HR this season? Holy moly.

I'm more impressed by the RBI than the HR's. That he will end up over( maybe way over) 100 RBI with this team is truly amazing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

MLB offense has declined the last 2 years:

2012: .255/.319/.405/.724

2013: .253/.318/.396/.714

2014: .251/.315/.388/.702

Papi's numbers have declined as well:

.318/.415/.611/.1.026

.309/.395/.564/.959

.252/.341/.504/.845

but they are still very impressive.

Papi's on pace for more HRs since 2006  at age 30 and more RBIs since 2007 at age 31.

He now leads the league in RBI.

His career HR and RBI per 650 PAs: 35 116.

His 2014 HR and RBI per 650 PAs: 35 119.

Sox4ever

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

MLB offense has declined the last 2 years:

2012: .255/.319/.405/.724

2013: .253/.318/.396/.714

2014: .251/.315/.388/.702

Papi's numbers have declined as well:

.318/.415/.611/.1.026

.309/.395/.564/.959

.252/.341/.504/.845

but they are still very impressive.

Papi's on pace for more HRs since 2006  at age 30 and more RBIs since 2007 at age 31.

He now leads the league in RBI.

His career HR and RBI per 650 PAs: 35 116.

His 2014 HR and RBI per 650 PAs: 35 119.

Sox4ever

I can't exactly put my finger on Papi's precipitous drop in BA, down to the .250 range, but there is no question he remains a serious offensive threat that is critical for the RS.

Those who continue to bash him simply are not looking behind the #'s.

Imagine if he had some guys actually getting on base in front of him........

His 91 RBIs are amazing.

Our 1-2 hitters have a .318 OBP.

Last year, they were at .355.

2011: .369

2010: .331

2009: .355

2008: .349

2007: .356

2006: .341

2005: .357

2004: .358

This year, our team has only 41 HRs and 403 RBI with men on base: Papi has 15 and 78.

That's 36% of the HRs and 19.4% of the RBIs.

Sox4ever

• You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

There are a few things you can count on in life...sure bets if you will. One of them is this thread being bumped up whenever Papi has a great night ;-)

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

There are a few things you can count on in life...sure bets if you will. One of them is this thread being bumped up whenever Papi has a great night ;-)

Especially because the anecdotal 1 game heroics tend to punctuate & spotlight how well he is actually doing, which flies in the face of conventional wisdom, which contends that he is having a terrible year based mainly on his relatively low batting average.

Certainly an off year with respect to BA, but a pretty darned productive year just the same.

I must admit, I too tend to over-emphasize his BA when I start thinking about how Papi's year is going......  It's certainly good to be reminded that his production is still excellent despite his uncharacteristically liw BA.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Sox4ever

That .318 is misleading because it's distorted by how bad those spots were for the first month and a half.

Holt has batted leadoff in 76 games with a .342 OBP. All those games are from late May to now, and Ortiz RBIs per month went up in June and July.

Pedroia has batted first in 26 games with a .354 OBP. Now Pedroia's OBP is just .308 in 52 games at the No. 2 spot, but he always bats ahead of Ortiz and has a .389 OBP batting third and a .345 OBP for the season.

And Nava's OBP is .347 batting second.

So that .318 OBP is distorted by the poor start to the season at those spots. Nava and Sizemore's OBP at leadoff are both under .300 when they were given a shot there early.

Ortiz had 14 RBIs in April and 17 in May. But in June and July when those spots improved, he had 21 and 25. He has 14  for August with just under two weeks left in the month, so he could hit 20 again, barring a bad slump.

Plus, Ortiz's clutch stats are superb -- .299 w/RISP, .313 with men on; .333 with two outs and RISP. He's 3 for 3 with two outs and the bases loaded and .667 with the bases loaded.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

As long as there are idiot fans that try to denigrate great players, using weak arguments like lower than normal BA, or gutless PED insinuations, threads like this will get bumped.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Especially because the anecdotal 1 game heroics tend to punctuate & spotlight how well he is actually doing, which flies in the face of conventional wisdom, which contends that he is having a terrible year based mainly on his relatively low batting average.

Certainly an off year with respect to BA, but a pretty darned productive year just the same.

I must admit, I too tend to over-emphasize his BA when I start thinking about how Papi's year is going......  It's certainly good to be reminded that his production is still excellent despite his uncharacteristically liw BA.

Agreed....but on the other hand..this philosophy the Sox have of relying on Papi to carry the offense is not working out so well. If highlights the importance of having team performance over individual performance. Papi is having a darn good year...the Sox..not so much :-(

• This post has been removed.

In response to royf19's comment:

Sox4ever

That .318 is misleading because it's distorted by how bad those spots were for the first month and a half.

Holt has batted leadoff in 76 games with a .342 OBP. All those games are from late May to now, and Ortiz RBIs per month went up in June and July.

Pedroia has batted first in 26 games with a .354 OBP. Now Pedroia's OBP is just .308 in 52 games at the No. 2 spot, but he always bats ahead of Ortiz and has a .389 OBP batting third and a .345 OBP for the season.

And Nava's OBP is .347 batting second.

So that .318 OBP is distorted by the poor start to the season at those spots. Nava and Sizemore's OBP at leadoff are both under .300 when they were given a shot there early.

Ortiz had 14 RBIs in April and 17 in May. But in June and July when those spots improved, he had 21 and 25. He has 14  for August with just under two weeks left in the month, so he could hit 20 again, barring a bad slump.

Plus, Ortiz's clutch stats are superb -- .299 w/RISP, .313 with men on; .333 with two outs and RISP. He's 3 for 3 with two outs and the bases loaded and .667 with the bases loaded.

One also has to wonder how much better he'd be with 2 guys up behind him that strike fear in the minds of opposing pitchers and managers.

OK, for once & for all, lets put him on WAIVERS and see who comes CALLING !!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bill, there are a lot of issues on this forum where we have people on one side and people on the other side.  But on this issue, you are all by yourself.  You are a shipwrecked sailor marooned on a desert island. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Virtually all players are put on waivers late in the season, if only to judge interest from other clubs.  My best guess is that EVERYONE will come calling, and the Sox will quickly pull him back.

Try reading the rules regarding waivers sometime.  I found it to be quite interesting, and you may learn something about how the mechanics of the game works.  
    [object HTMLDivElement]

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

If we put you on waivers maybe the forum on Kansas City Start will take you..... then you can bash Hosmer and Moustakas.

Bill would clear waivers, but I like the idea. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts