Rumors of Verlander's Decline Were Greatly Exaggerated!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rumors of Verlander's Decline Were Greatly Exaggerated!

WOW!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Rumors of Verlander's Decline Were Greatly Exaggerated!

This is cut and pasted from my post in the ALCS Rotation thread.

Agree that you must use Peavy or Buchholz in game three. The reason, as it looks like it will be Detroit, is that we will probably see Sanchez, Scherzer, and Verlander in the first three. Therefore, whoever pitches game three will oppose Verlander on the road, and if need be at home again in game seven! So the game three starter could be one of the most important decisions Farrell makes. If game four is Fister, I like Peavy or Buchholz over him. I think I'd go with Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Buchholz. But that 3/4 combo is tempting to switch back and forth.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Nobody in their right mind would declare Bostons rotation better than Detroits in 1-3. We (Sox offense) has its work cut out fot them. Our 1-3 is still quite good so I can see them holding Detroits offense down just enough to give us a chance to win every game.

Its real close. If theyre better, its not by much.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

He's money, no doubt.

Sox have to take the first two in Boston against Sanchez & Fister, cuz here come Scherzer & Verlander in #3 & #4 in Detroit.  Strikeout machines, both of them... rally killers.  

Boston in 6....  Bring on Gonzo & Crawford.  Hopefully St Louis will take the Dodgers to 7 and we can line up our pitching so as to not face Kershaw or Greinke in Boston in the first two either.

Boston vs. L.A.         MLB wants it... so do I.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Nobody in their right mind would declare Bostons rotation better than Detroits in 1-3. We (Sox offense) has its work cut out fot them. Our 1-3 is still quite good so I can see them holding Detroits offense down just enough to give us a chance to win every game.

We do seem to hit righties better, so maybe Detroit not having any lefty starters will be that little boost we need to get us one more run than the Tigers each game.

Although I like Gomes vs a lefty, I much prefer Nava vs a righty with Gomes as that scary late inning PH'er.

Although Ross hits lefties pretty well, Salty does very well vs RHPs.

Papi, Ellsbury and Drew do way better vs righties.

OPS vs RHPs this year:

1.092 Ortiz

.904 Carp

.896 Victorino (as a RHB)

.894 Nava

.876 Drew

.873 Salty

.863 Ellsbury

.816 Napoli

.745 Gomes

.722 Pedroia

.706 Victorino (as LHB)

Only Pedey looks at risk as Gomes won't start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

This is cut and pasted from my post in the ALCS Rotation thread.

Agree that you must use Peavy or Buchholz in game three. The reason, as it looks like it will be Detroit, is that we will probably see Sanchez, Scherzer, and Verlander in the first three. Therefore, whoever pitches game three will oppose Verlander on the road, and if need be at home again in game seven! So the game three starter could be one of the most important decisions Farrell makes. If game four is Fister, I like Peavy or Buchholz over him. I think I'd go with Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Buchholz. But that 3/4 combo is tempting to switch back and forth.

why

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The pitching matchups, the stats, the reputations can all go out the window. Detroit obviously has the better starters. We have the better closer. Both teams can score runs. The difference is : which team will come up big and find a way to win? I like our chances. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I am worried about Scherzer and Verlander a little, Sanchez and the rest of that staff does worry me against the Sox line up. However, Verlander has been inconsistent all year and I would not be surprised to see him throw a stinker. I also think we have better 1-4 pitchers, I mean its a 7 game series and having a much better 4th option(Peavy) than the other guys is always a huge plus.  The Det offense has been bad, besides Cabrera and Fielder their line up isn't all that scary. With the better bullpen and defense I think we come out on top in 6 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

What an amazing performance by him. Anyone saying he was in decline is a buffoon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It's amazing that anyone would think Verlander is in decline. What a game last night! The good news is we won't face him until game 3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Until a couple months ago many on this board were saying the same about Lester. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

he is ridiculous....he probably pitches 1 hitters on Playstation too...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to croc's comment:

That was hilarious. people saying Lester is only a back of the rotation starter now, and even some comments that he doesnt belong on an MLB staff altogether. Not being concerned, or counting out  either of them is foolish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to croc's comment:

True enough.

Now, he's our go to guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox got their work cut out for them with Sanchez too. He's been one of their most consistent starters. Thing about Sanchez he doesn't go deep in games. Get to that BP of the Tigers, early and often in this series.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

WOW!

Casey Pratt         @CaseyPrattCSN

#Athletics fan intimidation at its finest. Jumbo @KateUpton heads in the bleachers to rattle #Tigers' SP Verlander.

Didn't seem to work

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Sox got their work cut out for them with Sanchez too. He's been one of their most consistent starters. Thing about Sanchez he doesn't go deep in games. Get to that BP of the Tigers, early and often in this series.

That's the key with the Tigers: get to the pen ASAP.

Sections
Shortcuts