Running hard for 60ft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Running hard for 60ft

When watching the games, have you noticed how many guys bust it down the line for 60ft then pull up the last 30 when they are relatively sure they will be thrown out on a ground ball.
    I saw Lowrie do this the other day, when Zobrist actually bobbled the ball and if Lowrie had run hard all the way, he would have been safe.
    Ells, Crawford, Gonzo, Scutaro; they all do it. The only ones who don't are Pedey and Youk. Reddick used to bust it all the way, but even he is starting to do it more.
    Papi never runs hard.
    Same thing goes for routine fly balls, you just never know when one will drop.
    How many times have seen it happen, and the player is standing on first.

Now, If I were Francona, I'd start fining these guys for loafing. The only way to get results is to hit them in the pocket-book.
    Of course, Francona would never dream of asking his players to hustle on every play, they might not like him anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Running hard for 60ft

Alibi, Youkilis has chronic injuries from running out every ball hard, and Nomar often hurt himself doing the same later in his career. You play baseball long enough in MLB, you know how fast the ball is coming from the fielder to the 1b. There is absolutely no need to kill yourself if you are out. You are not going to beat that ball to 1st with your legs. The only guys who this doesn't apply are guys like CC and Ellsbury. They have the ability to possibly beat a fielder who is too deliberate on the catch and throw, and still they even know 99 times out of 100 when there is no chance. You run out the grounders, but by the time you are 70 feet, you pretty much know based on where you hit the ball and if it's fielded cleanly what is going to happen. If a guy makes an error, trust me, the runner will know to accelerate or not slow down. Placement of the ball has a lot to do with guys racing or not racing down the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If you tap it to the pitcher (cue the Manny v. Tampa highlight reel that was over-exposed) with nobody on base, guess what? You are out, you are out, you are out. Why race down the line to kill yourself, if the pitcher is throwing you out by 45 feet. It's a waste of energy in a long, long season. "Oh run out that ball, you never know what happens!"....true in lower levels of baseball. Not so much in MLB. The pros are pros and they practice,practice,practice to the point where a 5-3 is a 5-3 and a 4-3 is a 4-3, and if an error is made it's so few and far between...and even at that, the recovery of the fielder to throw out the jogging runner is slow. Too hard to get you out in that scenario, unless you are walking to the bag. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Ortiz has been doing this for years and it has always bothered me. He only gets to bat 4 times a game, doesn't play in the field and can't hustle to first base! Sure the possibility that he might beat one out or force a bad throw is remote, but the influence on other players is beginning to show. Gonzalez doesn't run hard and I saw Ellsbury pull up 1/2 way to first base the other day. It's the kind of lazy, lack of effort that could spill into other aspects of the game such as going hard for a ball or running the bases hard. It irks me as well but maybe it's just how the modern day player plays the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Running hard for 60ft:
    [QUOTE]When watching the games, have you noticed how many guys bust it down the line for 60ft then pull up the last 30 when they are relatively sure they will be thrown out on a ground ball. I saw Lowrie do this the other day, when Zobrist actually bobbled the ball and if Lowrie had run hard all the way, he would have been safe. Ells, Crawford, Gonzo, Scutaro; they all do it. The only ones who don't are Pedey and Youk. Reddick used to bust it all the way, but even he is starting to do it more. Papi never runs hard. Same thing goes for routine fly balls, you just never know when one will drop. How many times have seen it happen, and the player is standing on first. Now, If I were Francona, I'd start fining these guys for loafing. The only way to get results is to hit them in the pocket-book. Of course, Francona would never dream of asking his players to hustle on every play, they might not like him anymore.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

hell, he might hurt his foot; oh, nevermind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

trouts, that's why I got initially upset about Ortiz not being in the lineup for heel bursitis. But in my case, I was calling out that he can hit, that the running aspect wasn't as important as his power bat possibility. If he homers (think Kirk Gibson who was so hurt, he barely could walk, and then homered off Eckersley in the 88 WS), it has an impact. I think it is a reflection of modern day, rainbow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LMFAO, yazzer, and so true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Why give the defense an easy out? Why not put some pressure on them to field the ball cleanly and make an accurate throw?
    Seeing guys run hard down the line could cause the fielder to hurry his throw and cause an error.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Alibi, it's not how I was taught, and I agree essentially, but I'm explaining how the players think today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Running hard for 60ft:
    [QUOTE]Why give the defense an easy out? Why not put some pressure on them to field the ball cleanly and make an accurate throw? Seeing guys run hard down the line could cause the fielder to hurry his throw and cause an error.

I agree Ike.  I bust my butt down the line, no matter what.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You can stop running AFTER the ump calls you OUT.

Until then, you better run hard all the time.

I'll say one thing about AROID - he runs hard all the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

AROD, Scott Rolen, Pedroai play oldschool baseball. Youkilis though might benefit from the Ortiz-style of running. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]AROD, Scott Rolen, Pedroai play oldschool baseball. Youkilis though might benefit from the Ortiz-style of running. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

A-Rod is so old school, he will bust his butt down the line AND slap the ball out of your hand at the same time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Why give the defense an easy out? Why not put some pressure on them to field the ball cleanly and make an accurate throw? Seeing guys run hard down the line could cause the fielder to hurry his throw and cause an error.

maybe they could run faster if they weren't carrying their stuffed wallets in their back pocket.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

This attitude permeates baseball at the big league level. The Sox aren't the only team Pujols has been criticized for lack of hustle on routine plays. One of the things that is far superior to ball back in the day is infield play. SS routinely made 30 to 40 errors a year and with diminished range, so players say pre-90 baseball had better chance to reach than the player of today. I'm not saying it's right, just giving a possible reason for attitude.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Not very many (percentagewise) hustle in pro sports like they used to before the big contracts.

The old days are gone and soon to be forgotten. Because the older fans, like many of us,remember a day when not hustling was the exception , not the rule....and we won't be around that much longer. By 2040 or so these will be the old days, and the 20 year olds (who will be approaching 50 ) will say,"back in my day we had some real hustlers like Pedroia ( who will be retired and a legend in the Hall of Fame by then) who busted it on every play. The younger kids of 2040 will snicker and think the old geezer has lost his mind...that part never changes.

I shudder to think what pro sports will be like in 30 years, judging by where it is now compared to 1981. It's changed so much, however year to year the changes are minimal, but the big picture is; it has become a place for people who want celebrity and riches. As recently as the 1960's it was just another job....a more fun job than laying bricks or digging ditches, but still a job.