Ryan Dempster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Ryan Dempster

With a decent performance tonight, Ryan will pass Clay in lead for K's on the team. He is at least equal to the majority of #3's in the league. Very few are better and Ryan will hopefully show up big tonite.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Ryan Dempster

Dempster is a decent pitcher. Apparently a lot of people here didn't know that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

His career ERA is 4.32, but most of that came from NL stats. So we should add about a half a run per game or so (or you can pick an adjustment factor-its certain to be higher in the ALE). I do not think an ERA of 4.82 represents a "decent" pitcher, if thats what he ends up at. I know he has done well so far, but its early. I still do not trust Dempster. I think he will end up with an ERA around 5 and that Lackey will be better than him this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

His career ERA is 4.32, but most of that came from NL stats. So we should add about a half a run per game or so (or you can pick an adjustment factor-its certain to be higher in the ALE). I do not think an ERA of 4.82 represents a "decent" pitcher, if thats what he ends up at. I know he has done well so far, but its early. I still do not trust Dempster. I think he will end up with an ERA around 5 and that Lackey will be better than him this year.

That is unfair. I wouldn't factor this years before he was a closer. What ever happen when he went into the bullpen changed him. I would say 4.32 will be around or higher than his ERA this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Maybe you're right over the course of the season, but as of right now his era is 3.38 ( 3 fold better than you're adjustment). Lowe had a +5 era in 2004 and I wouldn't change a thing. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

1 bad outting and he will be back to his norm.

players usually find a way to find their average by seasons end.

unless you find doctor in miami.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Pitching in the NL where there's a pitcher does help, but you can't automatically assume it would be a half a run. Beyond that, just look at his career:

From 1998-2003, his ERA was 5.01.

From 2004 to 2012, his ERA was 3.81.

It's more likely he's closer to the 3.81 pitcher than than the 5.01 pitcher. I don't expect him to finish the year with a 3.38 ERA and is age is a concern, but if he stays healthy, he could end up with an ERA under 4.00.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Dempster is a very good pitcher through six innings.  He gets shelled if he starts the seventh - you can set your watch to it.  With our bullpen, he should never have to start the seventh, so if he used correctly, he can be one of the top #3s in the game.  There's also the potential for Doubront, Lackey, Morales or one of the guys from the farm or bullpen stepping up and becoming a #1 or #2 guy.  Or 3 of these guys pitching like top #3 guys.  There are a lot of ways for this staff to keep rolling most of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

He is "Decent" "average" whatever word you think fits best.  Lackey is also a decent pitcher so you may be right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Dempster is a very good pitcher through six innings.  He gets shelled if he starts the seventh - you can set your watch to it.  With our bullpen, he should never have to start the seventh, so if he used correctly, he can be one of the top #3s in the game.  There's also the potential for Doubront, Lackey, Morales or one of the guys from the farm or bullpen stepping up and becoming a #1 or #2 guy.  Or 3 of these guys pitching like top #3 guys.  There are a lot of ways for this staff to keep rolling most of the year.

But out of his 4 starts, he's already gone 7 innings twice without getting shelled. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

But out of his 4 starts, he's already gone 7 innings twice without getting shelled. 

oops

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Demp could get some run support he could easily have 3 wins right now the way he's pitched.

3 ER once 1 ER twice and 4 runs once. Averaging 6IP a game going 7IP twice and 5IP twice. 1 shortened by rain.

Hes going to have a couple stinkers along the way, but he a smart pitcher and has good control. I can see 12+ wins and a 4 ERA as long as he gets better run support than he has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If Demp could get some run support he could easily have 3 wins right now the way he's pitched.

3 ER once 1 ER twice and 4 runs once. Averaging 6IP a game going 7IP twice and 5IP twice. 1 shortened by rain.

Hes going to have a couple stinkers along the way, but he a smart pitcher and has good control. I can see 12+ wins and a 4 ERA as long as he gets better run support than he has.

+1. I like What Demp has shown us so far. Like you said Demp could easily Have Three Wins right now, And at the very least two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good thread, pro and con.  So far I am surprised to be on the pro side because I thought you really could tell a book by its cover, in this case his name.  I think Boboinflorida has made a solid case and would only add Dempster is currently 3d on the team in innings pitched, averaging 6 per game on the button.   6 is good.  ERA of 3.38 is also good.  Consistency, which he has shown so far, is definitely good. 

Here's the best part.  Ben C hired Farrell in part because he thought he could retool the pitching staff, especially the rotation, and so far, so good.  I expect Dempster to continue to have a good season. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Slo FYI according to his numbers he gives up more runs earlier than later In his careeer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Softy Law you haven't weighed in----calling Softy and Bill. RYAN DEMPSTER---lots of positive upbeaat comments about  Ryan D.--no one has complained about his two year contract. 

Very refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Softy Law you haven't weighed in----calling Softy and Bill. RYAN DEMPSTER---lots of positive upbeaat comments about  Ryan D.--no one has complained about his two year contract. 

I wont see their comments either. Have them both on ignore. Actually tried to look at one of their posts and it wont let me "unignore" them...Maybe its a sign.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Dempster is what he is. A guy who shows up every 5 days and gives your team a good chance to win. Isn't that what we want from the 3,4,5 guys.

I think Dempster may well be our #5 but I think it is because Doubront and Lackey will improve, not necessarily because Dempster will decline that much.

I LIKE OUR CHANCES!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Slo FYI according to his numbers he gives up more runs earlier than later In his careeer

Maybe over the course of his career, but over the past three years, his OPS against is about .900 in the seventh inning (.250 points higher than the sixth).  Of course, he's been perfect the last two innings, so let's just push the reset button.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

Ryan has great control tonight and the catch by Gomes is what is making this team special with the great D.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I wont see their comments either. Have them both on ignore. Actually tried to look at one of their posts and it wont let me "unignore" them...Maybe its a sign.

I've also got a few on ignore and for laughs, I thought I'd unignore one of them to look and see.  The same thing happened to me.  I couldn't unignore...kind of funny, actually.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Looling great!  Nice to see him pick up his first win....  Well deserved!!  Overdue...

ERA around  3.30 & mowing guys down. 

Just one more example of a Red Sox player Stiffy keeps pounding dispite the production.  Bashing a guy who keeps helping us win!  A #4 with an ERA WELL UNDER 4.00 & Stiffy can't be happy??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I bet management would tell you he has so far given them exactly what they hoped for which is a chance to win every game. 2 to 4 runs/6 or 7 innings. just what the team needs in the 3 or 4 slot

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Dumpster has been upgraded to a recycling bin.

Sections
Shortcuts