Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games

From WEEI.com:

BALTIMORE -- Outfielder Ryan Kalish, who has been limited to just 24 minor league games since the start of 2011 due to a pair of injuries (a partial tear of his shoulder labrum and a bulging disc in his neck) that ultimately required surgery, has advanced his rehab process to the point where he is now playing in extended spring training games in Fort Myers. If all goes well on that front, then Kalish could be sent out to a minor league affiliate to begin playing against more advanced competition by mid-June.

The 24-year-old played 53 big league games for the Sox in 2010, hitting .252 with a .305 OBP, .405 slugging mark, .710 OPS, four homers and 10 steals. While he will likely need an extended time in the minors playing against advanced competition before he is ready to return to the big leagues, if Kalish returns to full health, it could be a significant development for a Red Sox team that currently has seven outfielders on the disabled list and is eager for reinforcements.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games

We might see him in September.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

From what we have seen so far from Sweeney and Ross, I dont see Kalish coming to the Sox and sitting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games:
    [QUOTE]  Son, we hardly knew thee.....   1/ was/is he that good ???  2/ Can he stay on the field ?????
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    Two VERY key questions, Bill.
    I believe it was Kalish's development which allowed inclusion of Reddick in Bailey / Sweeney trade. 2010 call-up was ahead of schedule due to obvious reason : injuries, particularly Ellsbury.
    Scouts at time had Kalish rated ahead of Reddick defensively, less arm but more speed & range, a true centerfielder with speed.Plus although slightly less power, a higher ceiling offensively with better pitch/swing selectivity. He is, in my opinion either the projected future rightfielder or Plan B in center if Ellsbury can't be signed to an extension.
    But a 2014 outfield of Brentz / Linares in left, Ellsbury in center and Kalish in rf; with Sweeney & Nava bench ? Pretty good, with J.Bradley coming up fast. Or Brentz/Kalish/Linares with Ellsbury gone F.A. and Bradley about to step in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bradley in LF, Kalish in CF and Brentz in RF--I do like Nava's switch hitting ability and Sweeney has always been a reliable defensive performer. I would like to see Sweeney develop a swing that provides more power--it seems like there is a flat ripple in his cut---more line drive not much power.

The other component that is probably more God-given but something that should be worked on is throwing accuracy, throwing to the right base and a live arm.
    It would seem that Dewey Evans had all three down pat and could work with OF'ders on those skills. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]Bradley in LF, Kalish in CF and Brentz in RF--I do like Nava's switch hitting ability and Sweeney has always been a reliable defensive performer. I would like to see Sweeney develop a swing that provides more power--it seems like there is a flat ripple in his cut---more line drive not much power. The other component that is probably more God-given but something that should be worked on is throwing accuracy, throwing to the right base and a live arm. It would seem that Dewey Evans had all three down pat and could work with OF'ders on those skills. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Throwing accuracy can be improved upon with hard work.  Throwing to the right base can be worked on by thinking ahead and experience (think Jim Rice, who improved in these areas quite a bit in his early years). 

Having a live arm?  You are born one or you are not.  You may improve slightly with hard work, but no amount of hard work was going to turn Jim Rice's arm into Dwight Evans'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I would love to see Kalish back.  He was good on D and looked like a legit 20-20 guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

We sure could use him, at least he could become another option.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Another over hyped, overrated Sox prospect.A 4th OF type and not much more, IF he can stay healthy enough to ever play for a full season.
    Brentz is a butcher, who could never play RF in Fenway. LF at Fenway is ideal for sluggers, who can't field very well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : Two VERY key questions, Bill. I believe it was Kalish's development which allowed inclusion of Reddick in Bailey / Sweeney trade. 2010 call-up was ahead of schedule due to obvious reason : injuries, particularly Ellsbury. Scouts at time had Kalish rated ahead of Reddick defensively, less arm but more speed & range, a true centerfielder with speed.Plus although slightly less power, a higher ceiling offensively with better pitch/swing selectivity. He is, in my opinion either the projected future rightfielder or Plan B in center if Ellsbury can't be signed to an extension. But a 2014 outfield of Brentz / Linares in left, Ellsbury in center and Kalish in rf; with Sweeney & Nava bench ? Pretty good, with J.Bradley coming up fast. Or Brentz/Kalish/Linares with Ellsbury gone F.A. and Bradley about to step in.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

Great summarization!Kalish,although he doesn't have the power that Reddick has,seems to be a much more consistent hitter.Reddick is kind of streaky and has been since he joined the Sox organization.When he's hot,he's on fire.But when he's cold,he goes cold for a while.
     IMO,while the Red Sox Front Office liked both players,figured that Reddick was expendable thinking that Kalish would be ready by now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

When do we start the Ryan Kalish "Next Injury Countdown"?

Somehow people think Ellsbury is injury-prone, and can't wait for this guy, who makes Andrew Bailey look like Cal Ripken...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]When do we start the Ryan Kalish "Next Injury Countdown"? Somehow people think Ellsbury is injury-prone, and can't wait for this guy, who makes Andrew Bailey look like Cal Ripken...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    He played 136 games in 2008....156 games in 2009....131 games in 2010....he injures his left shoulder making a diving catch in 2011....and to be fair he was injured in 2007 when he was hit by a pitch which broke a bone in his wrist.....clearly this is an indication that he is INJURY Prone.....give it a rest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : Two VERY key questions, Bill. I believe it was Kalish's development which allowed inclusion of Reddick in Bailey / Sweeney trade. 2010 call-up was ahead of schedule due to obvious reason : injuries, particularly Ellsbury. Scouts at time had Kalish rated ahead of Reddick defensively, less arm but more speed & range, a true centerfielder with speed.Plus although slightly less power, a higher ceiling offensively with better pitch/swing selectivity. He is, in my opinion either the projected future rightfielder or Plan B in center if Ellsbury can't be signed to an extension. But a 2014 outfield of Brentz / Linares in left, Ellsbury in center and Kalish in rf; with Sweeney & Nava bench ? Pretty good, with J.Bradley coming up fast. Or Brentz/Kalish/Linares with Ellsbury gone F.A. and Bradley about to step in.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]Good post hillbilly. You've really got to like the long term outlook in the outfield.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : Good post hillbilly. You've really got to like the long term outlook in the outfield.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    I might add to all the Theo haters out there, that Middlebrooks, Lavarnways, Brentz, Bradley...Linares....Kalish.....Ranaudo....Barnes...Bogaerts, as well as many of the young ML level Sox are Theo guys.....and those guys were picked while we were winning two WS, competing for the playoffs each year and drafting low in the rounds...lets give the guy some credit once in a while

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : He played 136 games in 2008....156 games in 2009....131 games in 2010....he injures his left shoulder making a diving catch in 2011....and to be fair he was injured in 2007 when he was hit by a pitch which broke a bone in his wrist.....clearly this is an indication that he is INJURY Prone.....give it a rest.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

So missing 3 out of 6 years does NOT make him injury-prone?

I have seen that label attached to far more durable players.

I hope Kalish can be the Man of Steel, but I have very little reason to think he will stay on the field...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : So missing 3 out of 6 years does NOT make him injury-prone? I have seen that label attached to far more durable players. I hope Kalish can be the Man of Steel, but I have very little reason to think he will stay on the field...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Injury prone is a guy like Jose Reyes....who had to learn to run differently to avoid pulling his hammy for the 10th time...not a guy who has had TWO injuries....one by a Hit by pitch and one diving for a ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : Injury prone is a guy like Jose Reyes....who had to learn to run differently to avoid pulling his hammy for the 10th time...not a guy who has had TWO injuries....one by a Hit by pitch and one diving for a ball.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

....similar to a guy that has his ribs broken by a charging bull then has a guy fall on top of his shoulder.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Heh...have any or you guys actually seen Kalish play? His approach is waiting for an injury. Diving for balls he didn't come within 2 feet of. He's a football player in a baseball uniform. He needs to not play defense like a crazy man or he will not stay on the field. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Heh...have any or you guys actually seen Kalish play? His approach is waiting for an injury. Diving for balls he didn't come within 2 feet of. He's a football player in a baseball uniform. He needs to not play defense like a crazy man or he will not stay on the field. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Hey Boom,
    His hustle and athleticism are why he's still considered a very good prospect and why he's made it this far...Hard to change the way one plays the game. Kalish is a gritty kid that plays the game hard all the time, a "Dirt Dog" if you will...

That said, there's a fine line between "giving up your body" and diving for balls that might find grass or running into the wall in an attempt to make a play vs being reckless. Ballplayers are encouraged from and early age to "get dirty" in an attempt to field balls that are just out of thier reach and in the spirit of team. Are applauded by thier teammates for making the effort to try to catch the ball when they do. It's a fine line, but if you asked any coach or player who's ever played the game at the high school level or above. "Getting dirty" is the least the fielders can do in support of thier pitcher and sometimes in the spirit of team, guys get hurt.

We've seen first hand in recent times with Ellsbury. What can happen when an outfielder tries to make a diving catch and has to fully extend to reach for a ball that is just out of his reach. A ball that if he didn't give up his body, would surly be an extra base hit...Ell's has now suffered two injuries diving for balls that have cost him time on the DL with broken ribs and this year he separated his shoulder...JD Drew never dove for balls, which along with his frequent trips to the DL for his chronic hamstring problems, lent credence to his being labled "Nancy" by his detractors.

In 1975 Fred Lynn in his rookie year played centerfield much like Kalish does now and would run down balls hit in the gaps and crash into walls, diving for balls that looked to be uncatchable. Only to make what is today considered a "web gem"...Many thought that he'd ultimately kill himself. In fact he did hurt himself running into the wall in left center...Today the padding on the outfield fences was installed to keep him from killing himself. 

My guess is that Kalish probably will continue to give up his body and play hard. It's wired into his DNA. Like Lynn, will learn when to and when not to give that extra effort in the interest of staying on the field...but if the balls within his grasp...my guess is that he's gonna lay out, injury be damned...I wouldn't want it any other way and I would venture to guess that guys like Pedrioa will be the first to pat him on his back for doing so...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Bradley in LF, Kalish in CF and Brentz in RF--I do like Nava's switch hitting ability and Sweeney has always been a reliable defensive performer. I would like to see Sweeney develop a swing that provides more power--it seems like there is a flat ripple in his cut---more line drive not much power. The other component that is probably more God-given but something that should be worked on is throwing accuracy, throwing to the right base and a live arm. It would seem that Dewey Evans had all three down pat and could work with OF'ders on those skills. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Funny, Ive read every post here and not one mentions CC in LF...I hope we are able to dump that albatross of a contract, but im not holding my breath...If Theo had more vision and actually trusted some of his young players, he might not have signed him...Theo did draft very well..One of his strong points IMO, but they have some kids that could've come up and played, or got a fill-in for another year, ie; sweeney, ross. They didn't need CC and his huge contract...So dont count on Ells being here after next year, if he makes it til the end of next year here...Id love to see Brentz in RF, Bradley Jr. in CF and Nava, Kalish in LF...but Im sure CC will be there...Kalsih wont be here anytime before the ASB this year...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Wish him nothing but the best. He sure looked like the next RS RF for many a year when he first came up. But by time he's ready RS will probably have Ells, Crawford, Ross, and Sweeney all back playing. A Sept. callup and some time then would be nice, hopefully 100% by ST 2013 and trying to win a job then.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish ready to start playing games : Good post hillbilly. You've really got to like the long term outlook in the outfield.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Hillbilly ?
    Been called many things, most probably worse, but......

Signed,   XXXX
    (as J.E.D. Clampett )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I am not worry about Kalish.  He is not yet in the minor league rehab which that is not going to happen until the month of June.  By the time he is fully ready to play at the major league level, it will be the month of July or August or September.

Since Nava have been playing well, I would rather to play healthy Nava over Kalish

Sections
Shortcuts