Re: Ryan Kalish, we hardly knew thee.......... BEN now sees the light .......
posted at 1/28/2013 11:57 PM EST
In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
Good one, but there is merit in trading Ellsbury before we lose him for nothing but a possible draft pick in 2014 that may amount to something in 2018.
In response to Joebreidey's comment:
jACOBY is not going to sign with us, and the question iremains, what is he going to give us this year ?? Even with all his speed & potential he has only met that in one year.... If he has value, get rid of him now before BORA$$ turns it into a circus (SOFTLAW CONCURS)......... Salty's bat should bring some interest as well as the depth of the PEN........ Just advocating that BEN has some options to do some/few good moves.....
1-If you don't think Ells is any good, then what type of return do you think we can get for him?
2-Why would it turn into a circus? We lose a player per year, on average to free agency. Except for Papelbon, we haven't missed any of them one iota.
3-If we traded Ellsbury, then we would have to trade for another outfielder. How would that make sense? How does this even work? We trade Ellsbury to Cincy for a top-50 prospect, then trade the same top-50 prospect away for another OF?
4-Our BP is already so deep that we are going to likely put Mortensen in AAA, or else we have to trade someone to cut our BP down to 7. So we are going to trade our starting catcher for what? A #9 BP arm? And then what, we have to trade for a starting catcher?
5-What does advocating that Ben have some options mean? Having options means keeping your powder dry until you need to exercise your options. What you are advocating is that Ben make a trade, for no particular reason, just to give Bill something to talk about.
Amongst all the "bloke on the internet" stupidity, the most frustrating to me is when people will sh1t all over Salty's Ks, or Ellsbury's two unrelated traumatic injuries.....and then suggest we should trade them for Gale Sayers, Hermann Hesse and a Greek philosopher to be named later.
Back to the post you responded to...
1) It doesn't matter what you, I or Ben thinks Ellsbury is worth. (Well, Ben to the extent that to trade him he has to like what he gets back more than he likes Jacoby). What matters is what a single GM who thinks he's an impact OF'er away from a 2013 ring and maybe vales the draft pick as well enough to offer a nice prospect or two (possibly in a multi-player trade).
2) Circus? No, but many of us feel we can get more for Ellsbury now than the draft pick is worth plus 1 year with us during a season that is a long shot anyways.
3) We could move SV to CF and pick up a cheap RF'er to platoon with Sweeney. We might give Brentz, Linares, or Hassan a shot this summer, or (not my plan) sign Bourn and not lose our 1st rounder since it is protected.
4) Mortensen is out of options. If nobody gets hurt, we'll have to create a phantom DL, make a trade of a pen guy, DFA a good pitcher, or send a better pitcher (like Taz) to AAA since he has options. Trading a catcher could mean trading Lava. Trading Salty would give Lava a chance to start vs LHPs, but thats not a good plan for anyone.
5) There is a reason to make a trade. Trade quantity for higher quality, make roster moves easier to make, make room for more capable players (Taz to MLB & Linares to the 40 man roster), and get something for players we will lose after a year where we barely have a chance to squeak into the playoffs anyways.