Ryan Kalish, we hardly knew thee.......... BEN now sees the light .......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Ryan Kalish, we hardly knew thee.......... BEN now sees the light .......

Joe,  1st of all......... Jacoby, Salty, Aceves, and a few other names should form a "pool" to bring in some young pitching.......  Heck, for all the reasons, Jacoby, 5 catchers and a deep PEN......

1-Why would we want to trade Ellsbury?  We only have two fulltime outfielders, and one platoon candidate in LF.

2-I wouldn't object to trading Aceves, but you certainly aren't getting a top-100 prospect in return.  And who would become our long reliever?

3-Who are our 5 catchers?  Salty, Ross, who I think will make an excellent platoon.  Lavarnway, who may or may mat not be a major league hitter and/or catcher, and Swihart, who is at least two years away

From the looks of your proposal, you want to trade for a pitching prospect in exchange for weakening our chances in 2013.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Joe,  1st of all......... Jacoby, Salty, Aceves, and a few other names should form a "pool" to bring in some young pitching.......  Heck, for all the reasons, Jacoby, 5 catchers and a deep PEN......

1-Why would we want to trade Ellsbury?  We only have two fulltime outfielders, and one platoon candidate in LF.

2-I wouldn't object to trading Aceves, but you certainly aren't getting a top-100 prospect in return.  And who would become our long reliever?

3-Who are our 5 catchers?  Salty, Ross, who I think will make an excellent platoon.  Lavarnway, who may or may mat not be a major league hitter and/or catcher, and Swihart, who is at least two years away

From the looks of your proposal, you want to trade for a pitching prospect in exchange for weakening our chances in 2013.

jACOBY is not going to sign with us, and the question iremains, what is he going to give us this year ??  Even with all his speed & potential he has only met that in one year.... If he has value, get rid of him now before BORA$$ turns it into a circus (SOFTLAW CONCURS)......... Salty's bat should bring some interest as well as the depth of the PEN........  Just advocating that BEN has some options to do some/few good moves.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Another said to softy... "I assume you will be banned soon so... "

Anyhow Bill I know you are dying for a BLOCKBUSTER but it ain't in the cards. 

Bill please let us know the last BLOCKBUSTER major league baseball trade. I honestly can't recall one aside from our unique Dodger salary dump...

Actually, I think Ben is in a position with a good depth chart to make a positive move that would be considered a "BLOCKBUSTER".....  Make sure you all get back to me when he does !!!

Why do we need a blockbuster, and who would we target?

That's asking a little too much from Bill. On a good day he can actually spell blockbuster. I don't think his thought processes actually encompass coming up with players we should target.

Hey "SMARTARRRRRS", see above posting !!!!

So your target is "young pitching"?  Wow!  Which young pitchers, for example?  Can you give 2-3 names?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to notin's comment:

"BLOCKBUSTER" NOW NEEDED, MORE THAN EVAA  !!!!

No need for a blockbuster. 

Cherington reacted immediately to bring Sweeney on board to replace Kalish, therefore allowing him to be teamed with Dempster and Lavarnway to maintain the Sox 3 Ryan Minimum.

Another bullet dodged!

Sweeney should be nowhere near the 25 man roster. He has no power and in the AL, you can't afford to have outfielders who are lucky to hit 1 HR a year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

"BLOCKBUSTER" NOW NEEDED, MORE THAN EVAA  !!!!

No need for a blockbuster. 

Cherington reacted immediately to bring Sweeney on board to replace Kalish, therefore allowing him to be teamed with Dempster and Lavarnway to maintain the Sox 3 Ryan Minimum.

Another bullet dodged!

Sweeney should be nowhere near the 25 man roster. He has no power and in the AL, you can't afford to have outfielders who are lucky to hit 1 HR a year.

HRs are not everything..... he is an above average defender, plays every OF position, plays hard (something we lacked), and a good batter overall (despite the lack of power, which is one small part of an offensive game)

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

On a more serious note, I've never been a big Kalish fan.  I think he will be a journeyman at best, if he stays / ever gets to the bigs.  I still like Nava over Kalish.

Think this is way off base. IMO another Trot Nixon with more speed. Great athelete from NJ who made a very good MLB team by his age 22 season. Think Jackie Bradley Jr who is 22 now and no gaurantee he makes to RS this year or Bryce Brentz who is 24 this year. Really too bad to see a young player with such a bright future get ruined due to injury bug. To think our outfield could have been Kalish - Ellsbury - Westmoreland how nice would that have been? Wouldn't have needed to spend $ on Victorino or Gomes could have been better served on some more pitching. But injuries are a part of the game, just seems RS get more than their share for some reason lately.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Roster is a mess right now. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Kalish has never done anything in the majors to justify all the hype he has been getting on this board for the last two years.  He doesn't have the talent to be an everyday major league player.  He is below average at best in all facets of the game.  His injury does not hurt the Sox 2013 or 2014 chances one bit. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

ahh I wish Softy would say over there but there's no way he's going to last on that more carefully moderated board. 

I got a huge kick out of the rebuttals Softy got over there to his expected Upton drivel, such as:

"Are you ret&&&&? Where do you come up with this stuff?"

LOL

Bill please let us know the last BLOCKBUSTER major league baseball trade. I honestly can't recall one aside from our unique Dodger salary dump...

Actually, I think Ben is in a position with a good depth chart to make a positive move that would be considered a "BLOCKBUSTER".....  Make sure you all get back to me when he does !!!

That's asking a little too much from Bill. On a good day he can actually spell blockbuster. I don't think his thought processes actually encompass coming up with players we should target.

He is mean to you because most if not all of what you contribute on this and the Cs board is trade.. specifically blockbuster type yet you never have any knowledge of who you would trade for?

Additionally, you continue to use bold letters which you said was because of your eyesight but seems to me that you see other non bold posts just fine....  

Any of this true?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Kalish has never done anything in the majors to justify all the hype he has been getting on this board for the last two years.  He doesn't have the talent to be an everyday major league player.  He is below average at best in all facets of the game.  His injury does not hurt the Sox 2013 or 2014 chances one bit. 

hes got the talent.. look at his numbers when healthy. Pretty good in the minors and majors when he is healthy. the problem is his health, he can never stay on the field. this is his 3rd time being "derailed" by injury. It sucks that it seems we will never get to see what this kid will be..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

ahh I wish Softy would say over there but there's no way he's going to last on that more carefully moderated board. 

I got a huge kick out of the rebuttals Softy got over there to his expected Upton drivel, such as:

LOL

He is mean to you because most if not all of what you contribute on this and the Cs board is trade.. specifically blockbuster type yet you never have any knowledge of who you would trade for?

Additionally, you continue to use bold letters which you said was because of your eyesight but seems to me that you see other non bold posts just fine....  

Any of this true?

As DAD would say.................... "SON, your working too hard at this " !!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

LOL

Any of this true?

As DAD would say.................... "SON, your working too hard at this " !!!!

would dad REALLY say that??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

jACOBY is not going to sign with us, and the question iremains, what is he going to give us this year ??  Even with all his speed & potential he has only met that in one year.... If he has value, get rid of him now before BORA$$ turns it into a circus (SOFTLAW CONCURS)......... Salty's bat should bring some interest as well as the depth of the PEN........  Just advocating that BEN has some options to do some/few good moves.....

1-If you don't think Ells is any good, then what type of return do you think we can get for him?

2-Why would it turn into a circus?  We lose a player per year, on average to free agency.  Except for Papelbon, we haven't missed any of them one iota.

3-If we traded Ellsbury, then we would have to trade for another outfielder.  How would that make sense?  How does this even work?  We trade Ellsbury to Cincy for a top-50 prospect, then trade the same top-50 prospect away for another OF?

4-Our BP is already so deep that we are going to likely put Mortensen in AAA, or else we have to trade someone to cut our BP down to 7.  So we are going to trade our starting catcher for what?  A #9 BP arm?  And then what, we have to trade for a starting catcher?

5-What does advocating that Ben have some options mean?  Having options means keeping your powder dry until you need to exercise your options.  What you are advocating is that Ben make a trade, for no particular reason, just to give Bill something to talk about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

1-If you don't think Ells is any good, then what type of return do you think we can get for him?

2-Why would it turn into a circus?  We lose a player per year, on average to free agency.  Except for Papelbon, we haven't missed any of them one iota.

3-If we traded Ellsbury, then we would have to trade for another outfielder.  How would that make sense?  How does this even work?  We trade Ellsbury to Cincy for a top-50 prospect, then trade the same top-50 prospect away for another OF?

4-Our BP is already so deep that we are going to likely put Mortensen in AAA, or else we have to trade someone to cut our BP down to 7.  So we are going to trade our starting catcher for what?  A #9 BP arm?  And then what, we have to trade for a starting catcher?

5-What does advocating that Ben have some options mean?  Having options means keeping your powder dry until you need to exercise your options.  What you are advocating is that Ben make a trade, for no particular reason, just to give Bill something to talk about.

Amongst all the "bloke on the internet" stupidity, the most frustrating to me is when people will sh1t all over Salty's Ks, or Ellsbury's two unrelated traumatic injuries.....and then suggest we should trade them for Gale Sayers, Hermann Hesse and a Greek philosopher to be named later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Amongst all the "bloke on the internet" stupidity, the most frustrating to me is when people will sh1t all over Salty's Ks, or Ellsbury's two unrelated traumatic injuries.....and then suggest we should trade them for Gale Sayers, Hermann Hesse and a Greek philosopher to be named later.

Good one, but there is merit in trading Ellsbury before we lose him for nothing but a possible draft pick in 2014 that may amount to something in 2018.

Back to the post you responded to...

1) It doesn't matter what you, I or Ben thinks Ellsbury is worth. (Well, Ben to the extent that to trade him he has to like what he gets back more than he likes Jacoby). What matters is what a single GM who thinks he's an impact OF'er away from a 2013 ring and maybe vales the draft pick as well enough to offer a nice prospect or two (possibly in a multi-player trade).

2) Circus? No, but many of us feel we can get more for Ellsbury now than the draft pick is worth plus 1 year with us during a season that is a long shot anyways.

3) We could move SV to CF and pick up a cheap RF'er to platoon with Sweeney. We might give Brentz, Linares, or Hassan a shot this summer, or (not my plan) sign Bourn and not lose our 1st rounder since it is protected.

4) Mortensen is out of options. If nobody gets hurt, we'll have to create a phantom DL, make a trade of a pen guy, DFA a good pitcher, or send a better pitcher (like Taz) to AAA since he has options. Trading a catcher could mean trading Lava. Trading Salty would give Lava a chance to start vs LHPs, but thats not a good plan for anyone.

5) There is a reason to make a trade. Trade quantity for higher quality, make roster moves easier to make, make room for more capable players (Taz to MLB & Linares to the 40 man roster), and get something for players we will lose after a year where we barely have a chance to squeak into the playoffs anyways.