Ryan Madson is still out there. I say sign him.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Ryan Madson is still out there. I say sign him.

Obviously we would have to dump some salary and trade or not re-sign Wheeler of Jenks or both, but I feel it's a win-win for us. Plus we would have two good set up guys for Bailey. And Madson was the Phillies closer the past year so he can close if Bailey goes on the DL. Plus we don't know how healthy Melcanon will be. Now on the down side his agent is you know who, but if the prcie is right I say sign him. My only minor concern now is why nobody has signed him so far. And I agree that getting a right fielder is just as big a concern right now if not bigger.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: Ryan Madson is still out there. I say sign him.

Way too many other issues to deal with

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'd rather make a run at Oswalt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Madson is out there because his demands have not come down to a reasonable level yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Madson is still out there. I say sign him.:
    [QUOTE]I'd rather make a run at Oswalt.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Oswalt would be ideal, but is likely too expensive.

Maholm is more likely.  There are also trade possibilities for a SP....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Now with Bailey on board, I don't think so. Anyway, Boras wants 4 years, 44 million for him, and there is no way the Sox will meet that given their current luxury tax position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Madson is still out there. I say sign him.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Madson is still out there. I say sign him. : Oswalt would be ideal, but is likely too expensive. Maholm is more likely.  There are also trade possibilities for a SP....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

You're probably right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Oswalt is a nice idea but he was injury prone last past year. I would love Garza. Come on Theo!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

there can be no way that the red sox will sign madson for any where near what boras is asking for him.

if they wanted to spend big money over a bunch of years they would have resigned papelbon for that big money and long term deal.

and, jtf25, youcan't just "not sign" jenks because he is already signed for 2012.  you could release him, but you are still going to have to pay him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

This would be the ideal guy. I would love him but it looks like we have too many bullpen arms right now and our priorities are right field and one more starter. The easiest sloution would have been to re-sign Paps. But it's obvious he din't want to re-sign with us because his agent didn't even go the Red Sox and say hey the Phillies just offered 11 mil a year....will you match or beat it. Madson would have been a good second choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Boras seems to have overplayed his hand with both Madson and Fielder, as the market hasn't developed for either guy. 

If the price tag comes down enough, Madson would allow the Sox to move Aceves to the rotation but I don't see the Sox going after Madson at this point. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

They already have 3 closer types on the team, that's more than enough. They have as many closing pitchers as starters at this point, and one of those starters was on the DL all last year. Madson's a good player, but you gotta prioritize. And as for Aceves, Madson doesn't have anything to do with him. Madson's a one inning shutdown guy, Aceves is the long relief/clean up a bad start/spot start when needed guy, and a damn good one at that. He's honestly what's making Wake expendable at this point. It's not easy to find those guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Same old story.  It's about money and Madson won't work on the cheap.    John Henry has a bitter taste in his mouth about going over the luxury tax threshold.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Only if we have money left after signing two starters and a RH Outfielder.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

moths circle

the stadium lights

seventh inning stretch

all day rain infielderG

on the playing field

a stray dog

the toddler

runs to third base

first

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If his price tag goes down, maybe.  But he's too expensive to afford right now.  And plus, we have Melancon who will be the setup guy.  And Bard is not guaranteed a spot in the rotation yet.  IMO, Bard has to earn it in ST.  If Bard fails, then he will return to BP.  That's why Ben is going around signing all those low budget starting pitchers.  (Cook, Miller, Silva etc.) I think we have good enough BP right now.  I say Ben will pass on Madson without any thinikings.
    And Madson can get closer contract from other teams.  It's a bad choice for both RS and Madson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Maybe we could sign him and convert him to a starter ...  Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I say sign Brad Lidge to even more strenthen our BP. But he's gotta work on his control during winter first.