Ryan Roberts why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Ryan Roberts why?

Horrible career 3B at .954 and a 290 OBP the last four years.  The only decent stat this guy brings to the team is a career 265 BA against lefties. 

Does Farrell just have a tataoo fetish for mediocre players?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Ryan Roberts why?

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Horrible career 3B at .954 and a 290 OBP the last four years.  The only decent stat this guy brings to the team is a career 265 OBP against lefties. 

[/QUOTE]

Probably because you cannot put a rookie next to Xander.  Xander is making some rookie mistakes at short and someone with experience needs to be at third.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

[QUOTE]

Horrible career 3B at .954 and a 290 OBP the last four years.  The only decent stat this guy brings to the team is a career 265 OBP against lefties. 

Probably because you cannot put a rookie next to Xander.  Xander is making some rookie mistakes at short and someone with experience needs to be at third.

[/QUOTE]

Snyder was probably an equal talent and it doesn't matter if you are a veteran because the guy can't field or hit.  How does this help Bogy?  I just don't understand why we needed this guy.  Drew at SS with Bogy at 3B is even better if we want to pay the cost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Snyder was probably an equal talent and it doesn't matter if you are a veteran because the guy can't field or hit.  How does this help Bogy?  I just don't understand why we needed this guy.  Drew at SS with Bogy at 3B is even better if we want to pay the cost.

[/QUOTE]

Fine, sign Drew and then once Middlebrooks is back, what do you do then?  Roberts is a cheap 1 month rental, nothing more.  They are committed to Bogaerts at short, and he has to play there to get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ryan Roberts is a solid defender who hits LHP well. Holt and Herrera were redundant. Roberts can play 2 IF positions. it was a 1M investment, which they had to spend.

signing Drew would cost much more and then you have to make more moves to make it work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Brandon Snyder has an MLB career on-base percentage of .287 and a UZR/150 of a negative 1.1 in 118 career innings at third base. Ryan Roberts has a career OBP of .321 and a UZR/150 of 4.6 in 1,746 career innings at third base.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ryan Roberts is a solid defender who hits LHP well. Holt and Herrera were redundant. Roberts can play 2 IF positions. it was a 1M investment, which they had to spend.

signing Drew would cost much more and then you have to make more moves to make it work.

southpaw,

I understand the short term signing rather than Drew but to say Roberts is a solid defender is a bit of a mystery.  His career fielding percentage is .954 at 3B.  Brandon unless hes hurt hits 303 against lefties, with a .330 OBP, 876 OPS and is a bit better fielder at .971 not to mention younger and already having played in Fenway.

Sorry, makes little to know sense I guess only Farrell can explain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

southpaw,

I understand the short term signing rather than Drew but to say Roberts is a solid defender is a bit of a mystery.  His career fielding percentage is .954 at 3B.  Brandon unless hes hurt hits 303 against lefties, with a .330 OBP, 876 OPS and is a bit better fielder at .971 not to mention younger and already having played in Fenway.

[/QUOTE]

Have to ask Farrell. He knows more than me or you. I liked the signing though.

from Hill:

For what it's worth, Brandon Snyder has an MLB career on-base percentage of .287 and a UZR/150 of a negative 1.1 in 118 career innings at third base. Ryan Roberts has a career OBP of .321 and a UZR/150 of 4.6 in 1,746 career innings at third base.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

southpaw,

from Hill:

You were talking about Roberts ability to play 3B and hit lefties which Snyder is better at.  Match those Stats and  I'm sure it still points to Snyder being better. 

Snyder's OBP listed by hill reflects overall "not lefties" alone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Snyder would require you to DFA him when Middlebrooks gets back. They weren't ready to do that in April. Roberts is an actual Major Leaguer, granted not much of one, where Snyder is a journeyman MiLer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

southpaw,

from Hill:

[/QUOTE]

You were talking about Roberts ability to play 3B and hit lefties which Snyder is better at.  Match those Stats and  I'm sure it still points to Snyder being better. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually he just proved statistically that Roberts is better and now you are spinning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

southpaw,

from Hill:

[/QUOTE]

Snyder is more a 1b type. he hasnt had nearly as much time at 3b than Roberts and hes a terrible defender at 3b. With Xander still needing some improvements at SS, finding a better option than Snyder was needed. Ryan has about 1600 more innings at the position. They need a better defender than Snyder there. I think thats what itcame down to. experience and defense. before Snyder came to Boston he had all of 18innings at 3b in the majors...

Then throw in having to DFA him because hes out of options when Middy returns and you now lose some depth...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

is WMB now considered a DL waiting to happen???  injury plagued?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

southpaw,

from Hill:

[/QUOTE]

Snyder is more a 1b type. he hasnt had nearly as much time at 3b than Roberts and hes a terrible defender at 3b. With Xander still needing some improvements at SS, finding a better option than Snyder was needed. Ryan has about 1600 more innings at the position. They need a better defender than Snyder there. I think thats what itcame down to. experience and defense. before Snyder came to Boston he had all of 18innings at 3b in the majors...

Then throw in having to DFA him because hes out of options when Middy returns and you now lose some depth...

[/QUOTE]

Snyder is .971 at 3B so if you consider him bad just think how well Roberts .958 should look.  Not much better and a lot lower OBP, OPS and BA average against lefties.  Here is another factor to consider, Carp is here to back up the OF and IB while being even a worse defender than Snyder or Roberts so Snyder should be the more logical choice to back up Nap and 3B against lefties.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Roberts may prove to be a better defender  and possibly a better hitter than WMB if he gets to play a sufficient amount af time at 3 B. In addition Xander is going to need some time off coming up soon--Herrera and Roberts will get added playing time and if they make an outfield move Roberts can play the corners if needed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

Roberts may prove to be a better defender  and possibly a better hitter than WMB if he gets to play a sufficient amount af time at 3 B. In addition Xander is going to need some time off coming up soon--Herrera and Roberts will get added playing time and if they make an outfield move Roberts can play the corners if needed.

I was saying this about Bogy and Bradley before the season began and a lot of people disagreed with me.  Having two rookies up the middle trying to replace the defense of Ells and Drew was close to impossible.  So far JBJ has held his own but Bogy is what I thought he might be at SS at this point along with Middy not helping our cause.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

southpaw,

from Hill:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Snyder is .971 at 3B so if you consider him bad just think how well Roberts .958 should look.  Not much better and a lot lower OBP, OPS and BA average against lefties.  Here is another factor to consider, Carp is here to back up the OF and IB while being even a worse defender than Snyder or Roberts so Snyder should be the more logical choice to back up Nap and 3B against lefties.

[/QUOTE]

Im willing to bet if Snyder had 1700+ innings at 3b, like Roberts, rather than the 118 he has, Snyders numbers would be similar.

Like I said, you need someone with more experience at 3b while Middy is out due to Xander still needing defensive work. Their defensive numbers are very similar except Roberts has a boatload more innings at the position.

We'll just have to agree to disagree buddy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Brandon Snyder has posted a .309/.330/.546/.876 line in 100 career plate appearances against lefthanders and a .118/.211/.118/.328 line in 58 career plate appearances against righthanders.

Ryan Roberts has posted a .265/.342/.443/.785 line in 603 career plate appearances against lefthanders and a .233/.310/.362/.672 line in 1,071 career plate appearances against righthanders.

Last season the Red Sox had 2,125 plate appearances against lefthanders and 4,257 plate appearances against righthanders. If my math is correct, Sox hitters faced righthanders in 66.7 percent of their plate appearances in 2013.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Glad to see the team is in such great shape that we are quibbling about journeyman back-up infielders.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

I was saying this about Bogy and Bradley before the season began and a lot of people disagreed with me.  Having two rookies up the middle trying to replace the defense of Ells and Drew was close to impossible.  So far JBJ has held his own but Bogy is what I thought he might be at SS at this point along with Middy not helping our cause.

[/QUOTE]

He had a 876 OPS when he got hurt and still has more home runs than 12 of the 15 players with at bats combined. He clearly wasn't hurting our cause.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

is WMB now considered a DL waiting to happen???  injury plagued?

[/QUOTE]

WMB is a lot of things waiting to happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Glad to see the team is in such great shape that we are quibbling about journeyman back-up infielders.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm more concerned about the SOX pitching, both starting and relieving.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

starting? you make no sense

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ has never played like a rookie in center.  Jackie has a much better arm than ells and the book on him has always been that he plays right very well too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ has never played like a rookie in center.  Jackie has a much better arm than ells and the book on him has always been that he plays right very well too.

[/QUOTE]

If that throw he made was a little more on target, Andrus would have been dead to rights at home. Kids got a Howitzer for an arm.

If I had my way... GS in LF, JBJ CF, and a healthy Vic in RF.

Best breaks and routes to balls that Ive seen in a long time, and now hes hitting. I can see JBJ as our leadoff hitter very soon if he keeps it up. And it would be well deserved. Makes Jacoby's defense in CF look like childs play.