Ryan Sweeney: Moron of the Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Ryan Sweeney: Moron of the Year

In Response to Re: Ryan Sweeney: Moron of the Year:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Sweeney: Moron of the Year : Mich: Well thought out and on the spot thread. Sweeny is a pro athlete and is not playing t-ball. Oakland picked ole Ben's pocket on that deal.
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

Well, I think I was refering more to Bailey but the same goes for Sweeney - they both destroyed their seasons completely on their own.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

[QUOTE]Although punching the door was a stupid thing to do, I'd rather see a player with some emotion as opposed to Miller, Lackey, and whoever else was in the dugout the other night, laughing and carrying-on during a very key point in the game. Unlike some, at least he cares.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

When I played for so many years. we broke bats and not body parts. Yeah maybe Sweeny cares, but if he would have hustled out of the box, he may have made it to first.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Not a bad platoon Ross/Sweeney while Ells and CC were out.

Good contact hitter, good D

Dumb move, not what the sox needed.  What are the odds we see another
    injury to an outfielder soon?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not buying moron of the year even though I'll bet Sweeney feels exactly like that.  Sweeney got too wrapped up in what was going on, too hyper, and injured himself.  Lots of other players have done something very similar.  I do think he vastly over-reacted.  He didn't screw up or strike out or make an error.  He the ball into the hole and would have gotten the single except for an excellent play by the Tigers secondbaseman.  By then the Sox were leading, so his not getting on was not crucial. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

And where is Scott Podsednik fit in here? I don't know what Ross is hitting against LH pitching, but I don't think it's all that great; and neither is his fielding. Get SP back, use Ross against lefties, and forget Sweeney.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Not a bad platoon Ross/Sweeney while Ells and CC were out. Good contact hitter, good D Dumb move, not what the sox needed.  What are the odds we see another injury to an outfielder soon?
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

well, it would foolish to think that our injury problems are behind us.

even now, when "everyone is back" (supposedly/post AS break) we are averaging a major injury per week........Middlebrooks, Ortiz, Aviles, Sweeney.......Who's next?  Remember, Beckett will break down at some point as the season wears on and you got Doubrant pitching more innings than every before so that's 2 top candidates right there......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]And where is Scott Podsednik fit in here? I don't know what Ross is hitting against LH pitching, but I don't think it's all that great; and neither is his fielding. Get SP back, use Ross against lefties, and forget Sweeney.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

Ross hits LH's great...I think you meant RH's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Not buying moron of the year even though I'll bet Sweeney feels exactly like that.  Sweeney got too wrapped up in what was going on, too hyper, and injured himself.  Lots of other players have done something very similar.  I do think he vastly over-reacted.  He didn't screw up or strike out or make an error.  He the ball into the hole and would have gotten the single except for an excellent play by the Tigers secondbaseman.  By then the Sox were leading, so his not getting on was not crucial. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

That's why it feels more like Sweeney was more concerned about getting his batting average up vs helping the team win.  But hey, that's just me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I thought they were supposed to take a bat to the water cooler when they got mad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

So .... eating chicken, drinking beer, punching doors ... which is worse?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]Not a bad platoon Ross/Sweeney while Ells and CC were out. Good contact hitter, good D Dumb move, not what the sox needed.  What are the odds we see another injury to an outfielder soon?
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]
    We might see the whole farm playing by the end of August.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

How is punching a door not "intentional"? Did the Devil make him do it? Players and tweeting are not a good match.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]How is punching a door not "intentional"? Did the Devil make him do it? Players and tweeting are not a good match.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

yup, that's what you want too - a guy who does things BEYOND HIS CONTROL.  Very scary stuff.  Ryan Sweeney just joined a long list of meatheads.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm very disturbed by this....I really liked Sweeney up until this point.  Yes everyone deserves a second chance and does something stupid once and a while but he has some redemption to do in my book...

Good luck to him next year but yes he definitely deserves Moron of the month awards, with a nomination of Moron of the year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think Kalish will be better than Sweeney....offensively for sure....Defensively pretty close. The Sweeney injury hurts us only because it takes away a possible trade chip.....as to his stupidity however...hitting a wall or a water cooler or throwing something in frustration happens in sports all the time....it is unfortuante but we all want guys who care and hate failure and sometimes even the coolest of them lose their cool....I have seen Pedey flings his bat into the bat rack and such....lets cut him a break on that front.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Sweeney: Moron of the Year : yup, that's what you want too - a guy who does things BEYOND HIS CONTROL.  Very scary stuff.  Ryan Sweeney just joined a long list of meatheads.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

This kid has no game, none at all. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]                 This kid has no game, none at all. 
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]

He can't spell either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]He has been a total bust in Boston. To think we traded Reddick for this no-pop flop.  I know , I know , Bailey will be here someday.  Anyway , we are better off with Kalish than Sweeney.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

....what's Reddick's W-L record?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryan Sweeney: Moron of the Year : Ross hits LH's great...I think you meant RH's

Hi Andrew.  My posting here is dwindling by the day as I can't bear the collective ignorance and hysteria much longer.
    • Ross vs. LHP or RHP?  How can a baseball fan not know?
    • Why not have Lars (LH) play 3B?  Stupidest idea of the year.
    • This guy's too passive, that guy's too emotional.
    • Salty's rubbish!  So let's trade him for Thomas Edison and Babe Ruth!
    • Cook!  The new Sandy Koufax....I mean the new Marty Pattin....I mean the new Derek Lowe....d'oh!  he's the same old Cook - rubbish for 10 years but after 3 good starts.....

Pitiful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

chili, i agree

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]chili, i agree
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to completely abandon ship anytime soon or probably ever....the knowledgeable/cool/smart/funny posters here talking about the Sox is a great little lifeline for a transplanted-not-to-return Sox fan and I've learned a lot here for which I'm grateful.

But the relentless awfulness of a few repetive and/or abusive posters and, worse, their grotesque (creepy, stalking, lonely, sexless, humourless) bête noire Pike gets a bit much at times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think if Sweeney doesn't hurt himself, we would have dealt him and been able to keep (and call up) Pods......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I think if Sweeney doesn't hurt himself, we would have dealt him and been able to keep (and call up) Pods......

I would not trade Sweeney for Pods (factoring in everything e.g. O, D, age, potential, salary).....would you?

25. This post has been removed.