Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia...

Interesting rotation...advantage Yankees.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia...

All it does is give NY a competitive S.T. for the starting five and then some depth. If they can somehow remove AJ from the mix along with at least some of his contract,  life would be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Cashman will do his utmost to be rid of Burnett.     He won't beat out Hughes or Garcia and the NYY have lots of depth at AAA if needed.    Solid bullpen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Oh well it will just give me even more gratitude when the Sox beat them!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's a nice deep seven.

I wouldn't be so sure about AJ losing his job.
    1) Garcia will be 36 in October and was injured in 3 of the previous 4 seasons before joining the Yanks. The one healthy season saw a 4.64 ERA and 1.376 WHIP.
    2) Kuroda turns 37 soon.
    3) Hughes is young and just had a tough season (5.79/1.487)
    4) Pineda is young and just came off a tough second half season, and may need to adjust to the park, the tougher offensive line-ups, and the media/fans.
    5) Nova is young and could have a sophomore slump (if you don't count 2010 as a season).
    (Plus, CC has been remarkably healthy for a pitcher of his stature.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Regardless of any flaws, the Yankee rotation is probably stronger now than it was at any point last season.

That said, a lot of hype went into the Phillies 2011 rotation, and we all know how that turned out....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Well said, Notin...Perhaps as significant, the Yankee offense without Montero is likely to appear developmentally challenged in many games, a weakness that became obvious during the ALDS. Pena as a lefty DH could help if they get him, but his numbers contine to decline, decent OBP or not.  What is encouraging to me as a Yankee fan is that Banuelos and Betances should be ready in a year or so, and one of them might be used later in the year if the others ahead of them in the pitching queue falter badly....
         People keep talking about Kuroda's age and his transition to the AL East.  My guess is that his ERA will rise by at least by a half a run, but I bet he will be fine. Especially because he is primarily a ground ball pitcher.  Pineda, on the other hand, gives up a ton of fly balls and could be hurt in Yankee Stadium.  The Yanks might try pitching him on the road more at first, and they will surely be yanking him early in a given game if the roundtrippers start flying out...But he will have more run support than he had with the M's so this might help him to adjust as a pitcher in the less friendly confines of the Stadium.  
         I agree with you that the hype is a bit much (Yahoo's resident MLB guru Jeff Passan, is already talking "World Series favorites" http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoSahsyFC.70yoIQzh49sbMRvLYF?slug=jp-passan_trade_yankees_mariners_pineda_montero_011312 ).
         That being said, I do think the Yankees are going to be set pitching wise for a while to come, and I would not be shocked if at least Pineda lived up to most of his enthusiastic billing....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

After such successful Yankee threads that I've seen the last couple of days it appears that Yankee threads on this Sox board are the new black.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia...:
    [QUOTE]Regardless of any flaws, the Yankee rotation is probably stronger now than it was at any point last season. That said, a lot of hype went into the Phillies 2011 rotation, and we all know how that turned out....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Good point. It's a long season and alot can happen. As we saw last year injuries can play a big part in the outcome of a season. No team's players are immune to injuries...not even the Yankees.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless of any flaws, the Yankee rotation is probably stronger now than it was at any point last season. That said, a lot of hype went into the Phillies 2011 rotation, and we all know how that turned out....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

same could be said when lackey first signed here, beckett,lester,lackey,dice k was going to bring us a trophy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you're coming from; since the Phillies in 2011 led MLB in TEAM ERA by a ton (3.02, and with a so-so BP, and in a hitters park, no less;  -- SF was 2nd at 3.20); and led the MLB with 102 Wins (With a declining offense yet) this post baffles me; unless you're talking about the PS, which is partly a crap shoot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia... : Good point. It's a long season and alot can happen. As we saw last year injuries can play a big part in the outcome of a season. No team's players are immune to injuries...not even the Yankees.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

Of course; that could be true if you have Ruth & Gehrig; but depending on your bent, you have to like (or dislike) what you see

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

It looks pretty good on paper but the Yanks are still relying pretty heavily on some unproven guys.  Kuroda moving the A.L., we all know that can be a rough adjustment for some guys, Pineda I think we all agree can be a top of the rotation guy but he is still young and again moving from pitcher friendly SafeCo to the A.L. Beast will be an adjustment.  Nova has had one good year, Hughes has been wildly inconsistent and injury prone.  Burnett, cmon.  Garcia is a good depth guy and still gets by b/c he is smart pitcher but is now another year older.

I think with the additions of Pineda and Kuroda they have undoubtedly added some guys who will eat a lot of innings and that goes a long way but 1-5 I'm not giving anyone an advantage yet, I'd say both teams are still behind TB's rotation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

It sure looks like the Yanks have decided to play to win this year. My advice for the Sox at this point may surprise some of you, but I say we should trade away Scutero for prospects and do whatever else is necessary to remain under the luxury tax threshold for next season. Yes, that means a possibly unsuccessful season this year (yes-the only success I value is a legit shot at a ring-not just making the post season), to position us for next season. Our tax rate would fall from 30% to 17%, while the Spankees will rise from 40-50%. We could be well positioned to be VERY aggressive in the free agent market, while the Yanks, Angels and many other large market teams will be hamstrung. Of course, that also means silly thoughts like adding Varitek, Wake,etc out of sentimentality should be rejected once and for all. The fans would understand and appreciate an intelligent plan being implemented. What would not be intelligent would be to exceed the cap again this season...by a paltry amount....and to raise our tax rate from 30% to 40% next season. You either go all in and spend this season, something Henry has shown zero willingness to do, or you go conservative and roll with a team slightly below the cap and hope for the best this year with an eye on next. Anything else would be STUPID.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It looks pretty good on paper but the Yanks are still relying pretty heavily on some unproven guys.  Kuroda moving the A.L., we all know that can be a rough adjustment for some guys, Pineda I think we all agree can be a top of the rotation guy but he is still young and again moving from pitcher friendly SafeCo to the A.L. Beast will be an adjustment.  Nova has had one good year, Hughes has been wildly inconsistent and injury prone.  Burnett, cmon.  Garcia is a good depth guy and still gets by b/c he is smart pitcher but is now another year older. I think with the additions of Pineda and Kuroda they have undoubtedly added some guys who will eat a lot of innings and that goes a long way but 1-5 I'm not giving anyone an advantage yet, I'd say both teams are still behind TB's rotation.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yes, TB is still clearly better, and an accurate portrayal of the Yankees SP. However I would like to see you break down the Bos rotation's concerns in a similar vein.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It sure looks like the Yanks have decided to play to win this year. My advice for the Sox at this point may surprise some of you, but I say we should trade away Scutero for prospects and do whatever else is necessary to remain under the luxury tax threshold for next season. Yes, that means a possibly unsuccessful season this year (yes-the only success I value is a legit shot at a ring-not just making the post season), to position us for next season. Our tax rate would fall from 30% to 17%, while the Spankees will rise from 40-50%. We could be well positioned to be VERY aggressive in the free agent market, while the Yanks, Angels and many other large market teams will be hamstrung. Of course, that also means silly thoughts like adding Varitek, Wake,etc out of sentimentality should be rejected once and for all. The fans would understand and appreciate an intelligent plan being implemented. What would not be intelligent would be to exceed the cap again this season...by a paltry amount....and to raise our tax rate from 30% to 40% next season. You either go all in and spend this season, something Henry has shown zero willingness to do, or you go conservative and roll with a team slightly below the cap and hope for the best this year with an eye on next. Anything else would be STUPID.
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Good post, great avatar, but disagree on the Yankees ever being hamstrung; that's doubtful. If anything, the RS are overcommitted; and you're already seeing it this offseason, as you've indicated.

Like I said before, 2012 seems like a bridge year for the RS, but in 2013, in Bobby V's 2nd year at the helm, look out. It appears we basically agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia... : Yes, TB is still clearly better, and an accurate portrayal of the Yankees SP. However I would like to see you break down the Bos rotation's concerns in a similar vein.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Ask and you shall receive.

I left C.C. out of the Yankee breakdown b/c he is a proven commodity and I think the same can mostly be said for Lester.  4 straight years of 30+ starts and never an ERA over 3.50, that is very consistent.  Regarding Lester, I think he might be extra motivated this year b/c of the beer/chicken non-sense last year.

Beckett is a complicated case.  On the surface his numbers were actually great last year but he has been up and down over the past 3 years, injuries seem to always be a concern and maybe motivation too.  He rarely works deep into games b/c of struggles with high pitch counts but a highly motivated Beckett is still an All-Star caliber starter.

Clay's season is mostly predicated on his health.  It is hard to bank on him but if he makes 25+ starts the Red Sox should be in great shape.  His stuff is elite but like Hughes to questions of durability will linger.

I'm actually optimistic on the Bard to the rotation project.  There will obviously be an adjustment but he has a very easy delivery that I think will allow him to stretch out his outings pretty easily.  He reminds me a lot of Derek Lowe, who has always been very durable, 30+ starts every year, and Bard is a harder thrower than Lowe ever was.  Looking at #5 starter is speculative right now, any contribution from Dice-K will be a bonus.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia... : Good post, great avatar, but disagree on the Yankees ever being hamstrung; that's doubtful. If anything, the RS are overcommitted; and you're already seeing it this offseason, as you've indicated.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words NHSteven! I do agree it's hard to consider a team with the Yanks cash flow to ever be hamstrung. I guess I meant as hamstrung as they could be. :p In 2014 the cap rises again to 189 million I believe, meaning 2013 would be a perfect time for the Red Sox to march boldly over the cap in a big way. There's a certain Japanese FA pitcher we could make a play for, (no posting fee required), and there will be several likely interesting choices for the outfield. I think we have a shot to make the post season now, assuming we get Lavarnway up fast if he does well to start the year in AAA, but I'd guess we lack the horses to nab the ring. But we could position ourselves to get younger and better for years to come if we play our cards right now.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia... : Ask and you shall receive. I left C.C. out of the Yankee breakdown b/c he is a proven commodity and I think the same can mostly be said for Lester.  4 straight years of 30+ starts and never an ERA over 3.50, that is very consistent.  Regarding Lester, I think he might be extra motivated this year b/c of the beer/chicken non-sense last year.  Beckett is a complicated case.  On the surface his numbers were actually great last year but he has been up and down over the past 3 years, injuries seem to always be a concern and maybe motivation too.  He rarely works deep into games b/c of struggles with high pitch counts but a highly motivated Beckett is still an All-Star caliber starter.  Clay's season is mostly predicated on his health.  It is hard to bank on him but if he makes 25+ starts the Red Sox should be in great shape.  His stuff is elite but like Hughes to questions of durability will linger.  I'm actually optimistic on the Bard to the rotation project.  There will obviously be an adjustment but he has a very easy delivery that I think will allow him to stretch out his outings pretty easily.  He reminds me a lot of Derek Lowe, who has always been very durable, 30+ starts every year, and Bard is a harder thrower than Lowe ever was.  Looking at #5 starter is speculative right now, any contribution from Dice-K will be a bonus.

Sounds good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, Garcia... : Ask and you shall receive. I left C.C. out of the Yankee breakdown b/c he is a proven commodity and I think the same can mostly be said for Lester.  4 straight years of 30+ starts and never an ERA over 3.50, that is very consistent.  Regarding Lester, I think he might be extra motivated this year b/c of the beer/chicken non-sense last year.  Beckett is a complicated case.  On the surface his numbers were actually great last year but he has been up and down over the past 3 years, injuries seem to always be a concern and maybe motivation too.  He rarely works deep into games b/c of struggles with high pitch counts but a highly motivated Beckett is still an All-Star caliber starter.  Clay's season is mostly predicated on his health.  It is hard to bank on him but if he makes 25+ starts the Red Sox should be in great shape.  His stuff is elite but like Hughes to questions of durability will linger.  I'm actually optimistic on the Bard to the rotation project.  There will obviously be an adjustment but he has a very easy delivery that I think will allow him to stretch out his outings pretty easily.  He reminds me a lot of Derek Lowe, who has always been very durable, 30+ starts every year, and Bard is a harder thrower than Lowe ever was.  Looking at #5 starter is speculative right now, any contribution from Dice-K will be a bonus.

He's had one good season, lets not go overboard on the elite stuff.  We'll see how he does this season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Let's say 1 thru 3 each win 20 games. That means 35+ wins needs to come from the scrap heap and the BP. RS are overmatched by NY and Tampa. Bailey and Melancon are a help to the BP, but unless they get 50-60 innings with a lead, they won't be a factor. My prediction also is that Buch an d Beckett spend a lot of time on the DL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

This from ESPN

The additions of Pineda and Kuroda have given the Yankees a strikingly deep rotation with six legitimate starters and Burnett...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Let's say 1 thru 3 each win 20 games. That means 35+ wins needs to come from the scrap heap and the BP. RS are overmatched by NY and Tampa. Bailey and Melancon are a help to the BP, but unless they get 50-60 innings with a lead, they won't be a factor. My prediction also is that Buch an d Beckett spend a lot of time on the DL.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

How's your lumbago Ike? Are you still on the disabled list at the shuffleboard league in Pensacola?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Lets face it, the yanks will have some older some younger pitchers.  They still have a very good offense and aren't going to need all of them to be cy young candidates.   The RS are in the same boat with their offense, we all know that they will score runs.  Health is always the issue and thats where I see the RS struggling.  Not one of out pitchers has gone through any season without a stint on the DL so we will need to be deeper than the rest.  Thats what I think BC is doing and thats getting us depth.  Teakus is absolutely correct about the salary cap and getting to next year.  It make sense then to hope that a couple of our "tradeable" parts have a good 1st half and build some value and hopefully bring in some quality prospects not just prospects.