Saint Mariano

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Saint Mariano

Can we please stop with all this fawning, maudlin, overly sentimental gushing over Mariano Rivera ?  He is not the first great player to retire. He won't be the last. Yes , he is the greatest closer of all time. Yes , he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.  But this overdose of mawkish , emotional,  non - stop adulation is becoming nauseating.  Enough already. Please. Please.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Saint Mariano

speaking of Mariano, i really hope the sox do something special for his last game in the Fens. what a guy..

I heard from God today.... and she sounded just like me.

what have i done? and who have i become?

I saw the Devil today..... and he looked a lot like me

I looked away.... I TURNED AWAYYY!

I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

speaking of Mariano, i really hope the sox do something special for his last game in the Fens. what a guy..

If they find it obligatory to give him a parting gift , I recommend an autographed Bill Mueller bat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

If they find it obligatory to give him a parting gift , I recommend an autographed Bill Mueller bat.

and a blown save, for old time sake

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Can we please stop with all this fawning, maudlin, overly sentimental gushing over Mariano Rivera ?  He is not the first great player to retire. He won't be the last. Yes , he is the greatest closer of all time. Yes , he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.  But this overdose of mawkish , emotional,  non - stop adulation is becoming nauseating.  Enough already. Please. Please.

I agree totally. I have no desire to celebrate a guy who has helped NYY beat the Sox. Let his own team celebrate him. As far as Im concerned, the Sox can send him packing with a sore arm and blown save. Im old school when it comes to this stuff. Dont like the fraternization.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And one of Dave Roberts' spikes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW, will NY help celebrate the greatest DH of all time when he retires? You know the answer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I have never seen a guy that dominant for that long a period.  I respect the guy but I am a skeptic  and do not believe anyone can be that dominant for that long without using something. He never became a US citizen because he does not have to pay taxes on the money he makes in the United States.  He is not the immortal angel that people make him out to be. MLB Baseball and the New York Yankees would never let any bad publicity be leaked out about him. 

Arod is an easy target because he was stupid with his trail of PEDs. I am sure Arod has the "goods" on all the Yankees that are using PEDs and have used them in the past. This is one reason why The Yankes will continue to pay on the lifetime of Arods current contract. If they ever tried to get out of paying that contract he would name everyone on the team who is using and who has used. Even Rivera has come out and said that the Yankee team will support Arod when he comes back. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

And one of Dave Roberts' spikes.

And yet, although no longer a shutout, and while 2004 was unprecedented, it is still the most lopsided rivalry in history.

Regardless, he would chuckle,  take all these gifts via his recognizable grace, with hugs all around, and place them in his trophy room, likely near the front.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

BTW, will NY help celebrate the greatest DH of all time when he retires? You know the answer.

I guess you forgot the Boston tribute at YS after the horrible marathon incident; this doesn't surprise me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

Greatest DH of all time. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now THERE'S an accomplishment !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

I have never seen a guy that dominant for that long a period.  I respect the guy but I am a skeptic  and do not believe anyone can be that dominant for that long without using something. He never became a US citizen because he does not have to pay taxes on the money he makes in the United States.  He is not the immortal angel that people make him out to be. MLB Baseball and the New York Yankees would never let any bad publicity be leaked out about him. 

Arod is an easy target because he was stupid with his trail of PEDs. I am sure Arod has the "goods" on all the Yankees that are using PEDs and have used them in the past. This is one reason why The Yankes will continue to pay on the lifetime of Arods current contract. If they ever tried to get out of paying that contract he would name everyone on the team who is using and who has used. Even Rivera has come out and said that the Yankee team will support Arod when he comes back. 

Ha ha Yeah he's taking cutter juice.

When he first came up he was untouchable he is now a shadow of what he was early on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I guess you forgot the Boston tribute at YS after the horrible marathon incident; this doesn't surprise me.

Right. As if thats the same thing. Fenway gave tribute in 2001, thats a whole different thing and you know it. Why would you even think to compare the two? Im sure the Stadium will just resound with standing ovations and tributes the day Ortiz makes his last appearance there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Steven, what does one, have to do with the other? One was life and death, the other, baseball. Also, the Red Sox played New York, New York, Friday, to thank the Yankees for playing Sweet Caroline after the bombing, as did many teams, in all sports. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

[QUOTE]

Greatest DH of all time. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now THERE'S an accomplishment !!

[/QUOTE]

He's never hurt NY at all has he? Nah. Which is why you Yankees fans love him so much. LOL, just this post alone shows exactly what Im talking about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I hope Mariano has the decency to at least thank the AL umpires who have been giving him the largest strike zone in baseball all these years. 

Mariano consistently gets an additional 6 inches on both sides of home plate.

Defense.  It is still important.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

I hope Mariano has the decency to at least thank the AL umpires who have been giving him the largest strike zone in baseball all these years. 

The umps only give him that much leeway against the Red Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

He didn't get the called third strike yestarday against Saltalamacchia. He had to get him swinging on the next pitch. But you probably didn't notice that, did you Kim?

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In response to GEAUX-TIGRES' comment:

Again from 'the list' that never went public. There were 11 Yanks and 13 Sox which included nearly their whole pitching rotation. Big Pappi was not on it. Thus far, those implied or caught have all been on 'the list'. Everyone knows that you can't keep this kind of information from the public. It will get out. So stop it with MR and PEDS. His ball has freakish moment on it and very difficult to hit. Not paying taxes in this country, if not a citizen, is not a crime. Many people go off shore to avoid taxes. Those are US citizens. MR donates beaucoup money to his native country of Panama. I say, leave him alone.

Papi was on that list. You may recall he told the media he needed to look into it and would get back to them. Ten days it took him to decide it was the Dominican Milkshakes, and denied knowing he was on the list, even though every person on said list was supposedly notified.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Right. As if thats the same thing. Fenway gave tribute in 2001, thats a whole different thing and you know it. Why would you even think to compare the two? Im sure the Stadium will just resound with standing ovations and tributes the day Ortiz makes his last appearance there.

I believe they will; even though, quite frankly, I don't think Ortiz shall get a similar reception at his last ASG.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd say part of this depends on whether you're a BB junkie or a RS junkie.  I don't remember other 1st ballot getting this kind of send-off, but neither do I object to it.  And, after having seen the Ted send-off, and realizing how many greats have left this world without special days, I tend to think that you cannot see Willie or Hank enough times.  Hopefully the NYY will bring back Mays when the NYGs come in.

And, with so few of our WWII vets still around, the occasional event for them might be cool.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Steven, what does one, have to do with the other? One was life and death, the other, baseball. Also, the Red Sox played New York, New York, Friday, to thank the Yankees for playing Sweet Caroline after the bombing, as did many teams, in all sports. 

I'm not the one who brought this snarky subject up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He never became a US citizen because he does not have to pay taxes on the money he makes in the United States.  He is not the immortal angel that people make him out to be. MLB Baseball and the New York Yankees would never let any bad publicity be leaked out about him. 

I am not 100% positive, but every person we've brought in on long-term assignments has paid US taxes.  Are you sure he doesn't have to pay US taxes?

IRT bad publicity, NY writers don't keep anything hidden.  And one of friends knows a lot of insiders.  I've heard a lot of stories about a lot of players, but Mo has always been above reproach.  As much as the media would have us believe otherwise, some of the BB players are standup guys.