Salary Dumps, Last Year Control Players, and Other Possible Movable Players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salary Dumps, Last Year Control Players, and Other Possible Movable Players

With the deadline fast approaching, here's a look at the team already out of it (or close to being so) and what players may be available at the deadline (FA after this year unless otherwise noted):

Houston: 1B C Pena, LHP E Bedard, RHP B Norris (2 arbs left)

Milwaukee:  LHP M Gonzalez, IF Y Betancourt, RHP Y Gallardo (after '14), LHP Gorzelanny (after '14), 3B A Ramirez ('15 option), R Braun (to 2020+), Lohse (to '15)

Miami: OF J Pierre, 3B/1B G Dobbs, RHP J Rauch, OF M Stanton (3 arbs), S Cishek (4 arbs). 

Cubs: RHP M Garza, RHP S Baker, RHP M Guerrier, C D Navarro, RHP K Gregg, OF A Soriano (FA after '14), RHPs C Villanueva (FA after '14), OF N Schierholtz (after '14)

CWS: 1B P Konerko, RHP J Crain, RHP J Peavy (2014 @ $14.5M), LHP J Danks (3 more years at $15.75M), DH/1B/OF A Dunn (2014 @ 15M), RF A Rios  ($12.5M for 2014 and 2013 club option for $13.5M w $1M buyout) , SS Alexei Ramirez ('14 $9.5M, '15 $10M, & club option $10M for '16 w $1M buyout).

Seattle: RHP A Harang, 1B/OF M Morse, 1B K Morales, SS B Ryan, OF R Ibanez, LHP O Perez, OF J Bay, C H Blanco, RHP Iwakuma (opt after '14), Felix (signed to 2019)

Minnesota: 1B Morneau, RHP M Pelfrey, Willingham ('14 then FA), Mauer (to 2018)

Possibles:

NY Mets: J Buck, F Francisco, S Marcum, L Hawkins, I Davis (3 arbs)

LA Angels:  J Vargas, S Downs, B Hawpe, Callaspo (FA after '14), lots of big contracts.

Toronto:  J Johnson, C Rasmus (1 arb left)

KCR: E Santana, B Chen, Shields ('14 option), B Butler ('14 + opt), A Gordon (2 yrs + opt).

San Diego: E Volquez, C Headley (1 arb)

Colorado: J Francis, J de la Rosa ('14 opt), M Cuddyer (FA after '14), Tulo (2020+), CGonzalez (to 2017)

Philly: M Young, C Utley, C Lee (2016 opt), R Howard ('17 option), Papelbon ('16 opt)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Re: Salary Dumps, Last Year Control Players, and Other Possible Movable Players

You have to focus on 2 positions.  SP who can be 180 inning guys at less than 3.50 era, and 3B who can hit 15-20 hr and have at least a 300 OBP.  Bigger question to me is to trade Doubie, Buch, or Lester.  Buch has got to be the safest of the three.  Lester versus Doubie is quite a quandry.  Potential now versus potential future.  Youth versus experience.  Cost factor.  Very tempting to trade Lester over Doubie.  Very tempting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

After admittedly only seeing him during the series in Seattle, I would really, really love to have Oliver Perez on my team. Throws hard from the left side and had pretty nasty stuff. I also loved the way he mixed it up with different deliveries - it was fun too watch and must be tough to hit against.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Issue with trading Lester and any other guy on the 25 is upsetting the apple cart for any length of time. Yes they can trade Lester but what would be the consequences in the clubhouse.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to wherescreamingcomesfrom's comment:

After admittedly only seeing him during the series in Seattle, I would really, really love to have Oliver Perez on my team. Throws hard from the left side and had pretty nasty stuff. I also loved the way he mixed it up with different deliveries - it was fun too watch and must be tough to hit against.

I agree! I honed in on Perez a few weeks ago, he's nasty, and AFFORDABLE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Add to the list Seattle lefthander Joe Saunders, who posted an ERA of 3.63 and an ERA+ of 116 in seven starts down the stretch last season after being traded to the AL East contending Baltimore Orioles.

Saunders, who has an ERA of 2.37 in his last nine starts this year, has a 2013 salary of $6.5 million (with an additional $1 million in performance bonuses) and a mutual option for 2014.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

You have to focus on 2 positions.  SP who can be 180 inning guys at less than 3.50 era, and 3B who can hit 15-20 hr and have at least a 300 OBP.  Bigger question to me is to trade Doubie, Buch, or Lester.  Buch has got to be the safest of the three.  Lester versus Doubie is quite a quandry.  Potential now versus potential future.  Youth versus experience.  Cost factor.  Very tempting to trade Lester over Doubie.  Very tempting.

Lester's 2014 option is voided if he is traded. His trade value is much less than Doubie's.

I would not trade Doubront right now, unless we get a better pitcher (package deal) under team control for 2+ years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Add to the list Seattle lefthander Joe Saunders, who posted an ERA of 3.63 and an ERA+ of 116 in seven starts down the stretch last season after being traded to the AL East contending Baltimore Orioles.

Saunders, who has an ERA of 2.37 in his last nine starts this year, has a 2013 salary of $6.5 million (with an additional $1 million in performance bonuses) and a mutual option for 2014.

Thanks. I missed him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

How many teams are in a position to claim a big name by overpaying at the farm? How many are inclined to? Once you've sold the farm for the first big name it can be pretty hard to repeat for another name on the list.

I'm wondering who we'd be competing against after the first few big names came off the board. Maybe with a little patience there'd be some salary dump / B prospect bargains ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

How many teams are in a position to claim a big name by overpaying at the farm? How many are inclined to? Once you've sold the farm for the first big name it can be pretty hard to repeat for another name on the list.

I'm wondering who we'd be competing against after the first few big names came off the board. Maybe with a little patience there'd be some salary dump / B prospect bargains ...

There should be, but probably not a big impact type player.

Sections
Shortcuts