Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

Look it up on Fangraphs.  They don't like his defense either, but on fangraphs it's only slighly below average.I

I have yet to hear or read any commentator say he is a deficient defensive catcher. 

Meanwhile on OTFB among some posters it's an article of faith he can do nothing right. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB:
    You should get power production from all your corner positions and DH...With the Sox you CAN add catcher to that...Oh look, almost 2 tonight...Right off the top of the wall...Dont blame Lesters problems on Salty...he couldnt pitch to Johnny Bench right now..And Becketts first inning issues date back to his Marlin days...Its so convenient to blame Salty for things when there so many more issues with this team...Oh no, our SS and C dont have high OBP's...Salty almost hit his 20th HR tonight...Thats called run production from your catcher...His HR the other night scored the 3 runs the sox had, but its not good enough for some...Gonzo just started his power recently, WMB has cooled off, RF is good, but streaky...We have no power in LF and DH is hurt right now...Thats where your power should come from and its not...You should be thanking Salty for making up for some of this teams power deficiencies all while consistantly improving upon his catching skills...
    Posted by southpaw777
    Very true. And if the guys who are paid to get on base had been better at getting on base, those 19 homers would have produced a lot more runs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Great point, ex. Imagine if the offense was half as good as it would have been without injuires, and that could have improved Salty's RBI numbers by 15 alone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Great point, ex. Imagine if the offense was half as good as it would have been without injuires, and that could have improved Salty's RBI numbers by 15 alone.
    Posted by dannycater

exactly my point guys...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

southie, also as you I believed mention is my mantra thus far this season--the Sox have not generated much offense, and it's been power or home runs that have created much of that offense---Salty's 19 home runs, a good portion of them either gave the Sox the lead, a few helped win a few games late, and others at least promoted the idea of a rally. Pedroia is not getting it down powerwise and Ellsbury and his replacements produced virtually no power at all. AGONzo, who thankfully has pulled himself out of a prolonged slump of just singles hitting is finally putting up RBI numbers and hitting some dingers too. Take away Salty's home runs, you'd almost have to wonder if the team would be 10 games under .500.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

southie, also as you I believed mention is my mantra thus far this season--the Sox have not generated much offense, and it's been power or home runs that have created much of that offense---Salty's 19 home runs, a good portion of them either gave the Sox the lead, a few helped win a few games late, and others at least promoted the idea of a rally. Pedroia is not getting it down powerwise and Ellsbury and his replacements produced virtually no power at all. AGONzo, who thankfully has pulled himself out of a prolonged slump of just singles hitting is finally putting up RBI numbers and hitting some dingers too. Take away Salty's home runs, you'd almost have to wonder if the team would be 10 games under .500.

Im absolutely sure they would be a few games under .500 if it werent for some of those HR's Saly has hit...This team has real big problems right now and none of them involve Salty...
    Posted by dannycater

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I agree, I see more positive from Salty than anything else. I don't see the downside to a kid who produces power/RBI out of the catcher's spot and still handles the staff in just his 2nd real season as a regular catcher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I know quotes don't mean much in the scheme of things, but boy did Jarrod really hit the nail with his talk about what his job is--helping the pitchers and that he wasn't the one being paid to hit, but he is trying to help the pitchers to help the team win. He's right, and yet he's hit for power at a position that many catchers are banjo hitters at best. Beckett and Lester have not done their part as well and it's being blamed by some on Salty--now that in itself is really giving free passes to the veteran pitchers, who by now, should know better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Salty is helping the pitchers SO MUCH that his CERA is 2nd from the bottom in AL qualifying catchers ( starters ).

Honestly, I think Lavarnway can come in from scratch and within 1 day of study probably do better. What do we really have to lose when the guy is just a hair above the worst catcher in the league in CERA?

Yesterday they gave up 15 runs on Salty's watch. Today 9 runs of Salty's watch. Do you really think Lavarnway is probably worse? Than the above?

And Salty has been in mlb for 6 years now, and primarily a mlb player in 5 of those years. To say he is just starting to get a chance to play is RIDICULOUS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

He also was responsible for 4 of the team's last 8 runs, 2 by home runs. I don't know exactly how to say this but for you to continually rip a guy who came within a foot or two of hitting 2 jacks just tonight is just another reason why some posters don't take you seriously.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

At least when I came down hard on AGON it was at a time when he wasn't delivering any type of big hit. You are jumping all over Salty when he's actually producing. Now, that's ridiculous.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Salty is helping the pitchers SO MUCH that his CERA is 2nd from the bottom in AL qualifying catchers ( starters ). Honestly, I think Lavarnway can come in from scratch and within 1 day of study probably do better. What do we really have to lose when the guy is just a hair above the worst catcher in the league in CERA? Yesterday they gave up 15 runs on Salty's watch. Today 9 runs of Salty's watch. Do you really think Lavarnway is probably worse? Than the above? And Salty has been in mlb for 6 years now, and primarily a mlb player in 5 of those years. To say he is just starting to get a chance to play is RIDICULOUS.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom
    We know what you think Lavarnway can do. You've said it until you're blue in the you know what's. Speaking of which, you have NO WAY of knowing what Lavarnway might do with the Sox staff. The phrase "within one day of study" is proof on its face that you have no idea what goes into the pitcher/catcher dynamic. Talk about a sack. If CERA is your proof that Salty is to blame for truly lousing pitching, you may be a hero back there with the bean counters and paper shufflers. But stay away from the front. The troops on the line would fall down laughing -- or shoot you.
    I've watched what Salty was calling and why in these disasters. The pitchers' breaking stuff hardly matched that description. Lester had nothing and grooved it. Doubront wasn't much better. They not only missed their spots. They missed zones. You think these guys would have pitched better with a kid behind the plate -- even a kid from Yale, as you are fond of repeating? ( Note: Academic smarts do not always translate into baseball smarts. But you wouldn't know that because you don't  have baseball smarts -- on the field smarts -- or  know what they are and how they function in action. )
    As I say, stay away from the front with the kind of ridiculous remarks you make in this post. Those are the kind of statements you are prone to make when your excitability gauge starts to get hot. Which is often.
    I don't know whether Lavarnway will someday be a better catcher than Salty, all angles considered. But I do know that the odds are very much against his being better with the Sox staff at this moment.
    The FO and BV must think so too, as Danny and Southpaw keep pointing out. Otherwise in this time of dire need, years of control notwithstanding, Lavarnway would be behind the plate in Boston, not in Pawtucket. If Salty were as bad defensively as you claim the numbers show ( CERA, for goodness 
    sake ), his homers would not save him -- not on a club with Boston's pitching problems. Not when Gonzalez is starting to rake. Not with Ellsbury back in the lineup. Not after Pedey had a three-hit game. 
    Right, Ben is thinking, "Better get that kid up here before Salty ruins this pitching staff."
    Perhaps -- just perhaps -- the people in charge know a tad more than you do at this moment about Lavarnway behind the plate. I know it's hard for you to grant that possibility, given your struttin' style. ( To say nothing of its disgusting analogies. ) Don't count on whining to Moon, as you did before. He agrees with Danny, Southpaw, and me, and, not incidentally, the many other posters who are saying Salty is not to blame. Far from it.
    But you know better than all of us -- and the Sox brass. Wow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ex, your point about academic smarts brings me to the story of U.S. Reed, a college hoops player for Arkansas who made a famous half-court buzzer beater to shock the Louisville Cardinals. When they asked the Arkansas coach about Reed's shot, he said that Reed was supposed to get it up court for a 3 to his two shooting guards on a designed play. Then he said, "It's why I love players who are straight C students like Reed. C students don't think, they react and he didn't hesitate to fire that shot off. An A student would think too much and still try to make a pass as the buzzer expired." Now, I'm not saying you don't want a cerebral guy behind the plate--McCarver was actually a very cerebral catcher in his career before becoming a bombastic announcer, although he was very good at the start of his broadcasting career. But I am saying that there is some truth to the C student relying more on skills and spending less time thinking about what to do or how to do it. Salty seems like a guy who reacts but is now learning the craft of catching as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

trade salty

1  lava has an eye

2 salty value way up since 2010

3 lava has loads of years under team control

4 salty FA after 2013

5 duplication, one should go

6 last place, shake it up

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

ex, your point about academic smarts brings me to the story of U.S. Reed, a college hoops player for Arkansas who made a famous half-court buzzer beater to shock the Louisville Cardinals. When they asked the Arkansas coach about Reed's shot, he said that Reed was supposed to get it up court for a 3 to his two shooting guards on a designed play. Then he said, "It's why I love players who are straight C students like Reed. C students don't think, they react and he didn't hesitate to fire that shot off. An A student would think too much and still try to make a pass as the buzzer expired." Now, I'm not saying you don't want a cerebral guy behind the plate--McCarver was actually a very cerebral catcher in his career before becoming a bombastic announcer, although he was very good at the start of his broadcasting career. But I am saying that there is some truth to the C student relying more on skills and spending less time thinking about what to do or how to do it. Salty seems like a guy who reacts but is now learning the craft of catching as well.
    Posted by dannycater
    One of the "smartest baseball players" I've ever played with was in Colorado. He was a hick ( his own description ) from somewhere in the deep South. ( He wore coveralls into town. ) He could barely read. But he had that dry Cracker wit. He had physical talent, lots of it. What was most impressive, however, was that he never made a mistake. Coach Dedeaux at USC drilled us over and over ( and over ) in fundamentals, and he kept a fine pad in the dugout to record mistakes. ( I'm making this up, as Boom suspects. ) So I had a virtual catalogue of mistakes in my head, many of them quite subtle, all of them serious in Rod's mind. ( He was an amiable perfectionist. ) Our hick made none of them. OTOH, he seemed constitutionally unable to make anything other than the right play, no matter the circumstances. It was eye-opening, to say the least.
    He hadn't played beyond high school, and had, according to him, learned very little from a high school coach. But, as he said, "My dad knew more than a molehill about this game." I'll bet. In the end, though, it all boiled down to what that kid did in the moment on the diamond.
    OTOH, I've known a few players with book smarts and at least enough talent who never fully got the hang of this game.
    And so it goes. In the real world. On real diamonds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

trade salty 1  lava has an eye 2 salty value since 2010 3 lava has loads of years under team control 4 salty FA after 2013 5 duplication, one should go 6 last place, shake it up
    Posted by tom-uk
    Could happen, Tom. At this point, nothing would surprise me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

@TrotterNixon- while I do wish the Sox had acquired a new veteran catcher after V-Tek retired to continue guiding Salty(or even offered him a position as a coach), Salty's homeruns will make up for a Carlos Pena-type average. As for his defense, sure, he could use improvement, but Lavarnway is no gold glover, either. However, Salty IS in a big slump, and needs to turn it around. Until July, though, Salty was a near all-star.
    Posted by WE5NUTS

Ignore Softy, he's not a serious poster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How come we continue to play losing ball when Salty catches and winning ball when somebody else catches?  We're now 28-37 in Salty starts, 20-12 in Shoppach starts.  Last year it was 47-49 in Salty starts, 42-22 in Varitek starts.

Even uglier, we're now 29-48 in Salty's last 77 starts.  He finished last year on a 1-11 run.

There's some randomness involved obviously, but it's kind of hard to ignore the overall trend here. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : They call for Lav to come up because he has a better OBP...But has no exp. with this staff, which they undermind...Salty is not the BEST MLB catcher, but since given the reigns this year, has greatly improved...He can and will get even better IMO...Its a shame that some folks here dont have the patients, especially in the catcher position, to give Salty some time to develop more...Ive said it before that no team actually took any time to show him what its all about on the MLB level to really be a catcher...That is until Gary Tuck and Jason Varitek took him under their wing 2 years ago...This kid, still only 27, is a hard worker, good clubhouse guy, someone who the pitchers now like working with, and someone who has progressivly been getting better and has learned how to be an MLB catcher...
    Posted by southpaw777

He's been a major league catcher for 5 years with three different teams. How much time does he need to improve?
    I suppose as long as he can hit a HR in between all those K's, he'll be lauded as the best thing since sliced bread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Anybody who dismisses Salty's CERA and W/L record vs. Varitek and Shoppach is whistling past the graveyard. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : He's been a major league catcher for 5 years with three different teams. How much time does he need to improve? I suppose as long as he can hit a HR in between all those K's, he'll be lauded as the best thing since sliced bread.
    Posted by harv53

Please re-read sentence 6 again...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why do our Pitchers give up so many HRS when Salty catches?
    Posted by bobbysu

They have issues locating the ball...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no, southie, it's because Salty tells the hitter before the pitch that this is a fastball down the middle of the plate, so hit it 400 feet. It's obviously all the catcher's fault that the pitchers suck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

no, southie, it's because Salty tells the hitter before the pitch that this is a fastball down the middle of the plate, so hit it 400 feet. It's obviously all the catcher's fault that the pitchers suck.
    Posted by dannycater

Ohhh...thats right...Sealedmy bad

Sections
Shortcuts