Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

Salty tells the hitter prior to the pitch that he will set up for a corner fastball, but that the pitch will go right down the middle, make sure you don't miss it, and hit it 400 feet. Obviously he is sabotaging the pitchers. It's not that the pitchers suck at location, it's that Salty manipulates his glove to zone the pitch down the middle of the plate--like Lester. Jon is throwing as well as he's had the past couple of years (his words to BV), so obviously Salty is the problem, not Lester.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The more Shoppach catches those pitchers, the more their stats will resemble the ones that are Salty's who has played more games, caught more innings. But let's just say for a moment, that you, bobbysu, are on to something. Let me ask you, don't you think the Sox, one of the most progressive organizations at using statistical analysis (Bill James), adopting Billy Beane philosophy (taking pitches, not stealing bases), have the same data you have? Don't you think they would have made the decision to play Shoppach more? Shoppach is 3-3 in his starts this month. It's .500

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Why would the Sox play Salty over Shoppach if they thought that they would win more with Shoppach, and less with Salty. Explain that? Why would Lavarnway not be in a Sox uniform this season if he was as good as many people believe him to be? Why didn't he come up to DH for Ortiz? Explain that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Why would Lavarnway not be in a Sox uniform this season if he was as good as many people believe him to be? Why didn't he come up to DH for Ortiz? Explain that.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Lava did not catch loads last year because the Sox wanted him to DH and work hard on technique during drills.    This year he has started more consistently to get experience.

Gomez has been the best hitter (30dbl 20 HR) in the Int League this year by a lot.  While Lava keeps getting his starts at C.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Gomez didn't exactly murder MLB pitching in his stint here. He did hit .300 but no HRs in 31 plate appearances. If the idea behind an organization is to win MLB games, you don't bring up your "star" "prospect" "most intellingent player in baseball" catcher from Pawtucket? To DH, something he did last year and did a pretty good job in a short spell--Lavarnway? If he is as good as you all say, he would have been called up when Ortiz went DL. End of Story.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Gomez didn't come up either, and he's a guy who is a butcher on defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB:
    Gomez didn't come up either, and he's a guy who is a butcher on defense.
    Posted by dannycater

July 18, 2012Placed DH David Ortiz on the 15-day DL, retroactive to July 17.
     Recalled INF Mauro Gomez from Pawtucket (IL).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Surprisingly balanced commentary on the OP.  Bobby V knows him better than any of us and keeps playing him ahead of Shoppach, just maybe because fangraphs might be right, that overall Salty is an above average catcher.

Salty definitely strikes out too much.  For shame.  Of course 33+ other MLB hitters right now have struck out as much or more than Salty, including Carlos Pena, firstbasemen for the Rays who has 126 K's so far and an OPS 100 points lower than Salty's.   

Down the road it sure looks as though Lavarnway is the catcher of the future, but he definitely needs more seasoning.  He is a converted catcher with very little professional experience.  And, if he really is a very good hitter, maybe the Sox have other plans for him besides catching. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Surprisingly balanced commentary on the OP.  Bobby V knows him better than any of us and keeps playing him ahead of Shoppach, just maybe because fangraphs might be right, that overall Salty is an above average catcher. Salty definitely strikes out too much.  For shame.  Of course 33+ other MLB hitters right now have struck out as much or more than Salty, including Carlos Pena, firstbasemen for the Rays who has 126 K's so far and an OPS 100 points lower than Salty's.    Down the road it sure looks as though Lavarnway is the catcher of the future, but he definitely needs more seasoning.  He is a converted catcher with very little professional experience.  And, if he really is a very good hitter, maybe the Sox have other plans for him besides catching. 
    Posted by maxbialystock
    Max, if Lavarnway is to be the catcher of the future, his tenure will probably have to begin the in near future. I think he's 25, not that much younger than Salty. 
    Maybe Salty will traded before the deadline or in the offseason. OTOH, maybe Lavarnway will be traded before the deadline or in the offseason. I seriously doubt that the Sox are planning to let the two fight it out for the job in ST. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

So I want to ask all the Shoppach is 20-12 people what happens about games like tonight? Shoppach drove in the Sox first run, caught Buchholz and did another nice job behind the plate...BUT Salty was the guy who drew the big 2-out 2nd walk of the inning that resulted in Aviles then knocking in the GW RBI. Then Salty catches Aceves for a 1-2-3 9th inning save...So brainy-acts, Salty doesn't credit for tonight does he? Only Shoppach? This is exactly why I love this tandem, and exactly why I don't care for the CERA and W-L stats of catchers. This to me was a game where both catchers greatly contributed to a victory, but who gets the credit stat-wise? Shoppach. He was the "catcher" of record when Salty pinch hit in the 9th. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And I have to agree with the thread starter on DH-Lavarnway thread. If this guy is so good, why the hell haven't the Sox brought him up when Ortiz went on the DL? The Sox are using Ciriaco, Nava, Ross and getting nothing out of that spot. I also suggested using Salty as a DH, but of course the Sox would cry, but no what if Shoppach gets hurt? And then I say, well then Salty comes in and the Sox play the rest of the game NL style, no DH.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB":
    In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : Very true. And if the guys who are paid to get on base had been better at getting on base, those 19 homers would have produced a lot more runs. Posted by expitch
    That is idiotic. You can't assume he would have hit those HRs under different circumstances. Hitters are pitched to differently with runners on than with bases empty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Surprisingly balanced commentary on the OP.  Bobby V knows him better than any of us and keeps playing him ahead of Shoppach, just maybe because fangraphs might be right, that overall Salty is an above average catcher. Salty definitely strikes out too much.  For shame.  Of course 33+ other MLB hitters right now have struck out as much or more than Salty, including Carlos Pena, firstbasemen for the Rays who has 126 K's so far and an OPS 100 points lower than Salty's.    Down the road it sure looks as though Lavarnway is the catcher of the future, but he definitely needs more seasoning.  He is a converted catcher with very little professional experience.  And, if he really is a very good hitter, maybe the Sox have other plans for him besides catching.  Posted by maxbialystock
    This is true. But Pena can play defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Great point, ex. Imagine if the offense was half as good as it would have been without injuires, and that could have improved Salty's RBI numbers by 15 alone. Posted by dannycater
    You seem like a sensible person DC. You have to know there is no way of knowing that, especially given Salty's numbers w/RISP.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : Very true. And if the guys who are paid to get on base had been better at getting on base, those 19 homers would have produced a lot more runs. Posted by expitch
    Unlikely. He hits .214 w/RISP. With 2 out, it's .107

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In response to "Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB": Unlikely. He hits .214 w/RISP. With 2 out, it's .107
    Posted by Alibiike

Salty drew a walk tonight!!!!!

Wow!

Maybe he's the 9th best catcher in mlb now huh?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Isn't it amazing that Buchholz throws a great game to Shoppach for 7 innings and Shoppach drives in a run but Salty comes in and draws an easy walk and catches the 9th and he is supposed to get equal credit for that win?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ciriaco has done well but I'd have to go with Gomez as Ortiz replacement. The guy has shown to be a much better hitter for a long time now. 20 Dingers in the IL after doing extremely well last year also.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I terms of # of strikouts let's put it in perspective. Salty is a catcher who has a lot fewer AB than a lot of the guys above him on that list ( maybe everyone above him on that list ). Salty's strikout percentage has been consistently above a 30% rate for years now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Isn't it amazing that Buchholz throws a great game to Shoppach for 7 innings and Shoppach drives in a run but Salty comes in and draws an easy walk and catches the 9th and he is supposed to get equal credit for that win?
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I believe this is your response to what I was alluding to earlier regarding who gets credit in the catcher credit stats. First of all, Salty did have just as much to do with the win as anyone. What he drew was not easy, but a difficult walk in a difficult spot, 2 outs in the 8th. The walk not only kept the inning going, but more importantly moved Nava into scoring position. And yes in a 1-run game, he caught Aceves a 1-2-3 inning for a save. Both catchers did their jobs and let's face it--YOU ARE TOTALLY DISMISSING SALTY'S LATE-INNING CONTRIBUTION LAST NIGHT. JUST LIKE YOU DISMISS HIS HOME RUNS. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In response to "Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB": That is idiotic. You can't assume he would have hit those HRs under different circumstances. Hitters are pitched to differently with runners on than with bases empty.
    Posted by Alibiike
    You're right.
    With men on base, pitchers try hard not to walk people, especially if they get behind in the count. Salty might get more good pitches to hit. Pitchers have to think about the runners as well as the batter. A little distraction there. With runners on, the batter is likely to see more FB's if a steal if suspected. Salty has had a weakness chasing curves in the dirt. That pitch is thrown less often with runners on, especially with a runner on third. 
    See, you were right in general, but dead wrong on the particulars.
    Joe E. Brown loved baseball and knew a lot about the game. He probably knew what apparently has escaped your notice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Yeah Expitch, Nathan was scared stiff about Nava stealing that base on him. BTW, Nava walked also, just before Salty came up. Nathan was struggling to get his curve over. You and I could have drawn that walk with the pitches he threw. You guys are comparing a walk from a pitcher who was aobviously struggling to get the ball over the plate ( Did I miss that part of baseball 101 expitch?).

There is no comparison to Shoppach's performance and Salty's. There is no equivalency there. Sorry. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Yeah Expitch, Nathan was scared stiff about Nava stealing that base on him. BTW, Nava walked also, just before Salty came up. Nathan was struggling to get his curve over. You and I could have drawn that walk with the pitches he threw. You guys are comparing a walk from a pitcher who was aobviously struggling to get the ball over the plate ( Did I miss that part of baseball 101 expitch?). There is no comparison to Shoppach's performance and Salty's. There is no equivalency there. Sorry. 
    I didn't equate their performances. Check with Danny. I didn't say that in that situation Nathan was concerned about Nava stealing. Trouble with his control or not, Nathan was being careful with Salty. He had seen the game the night before. A pitcher having control troubles doesn't serve up goodies to a batter who had hit the ball a ton the night before and has 19 homers.  The walk to Salty was the result of control troubles AND extra care.
    More Baseball 101 for you.
    Once again, your penchant for attributing to me what I didn't say. Southpaw called you on that too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Yeah Expitch, Nathan was scared stiff about Nava stealing that base on him. BTW, Nava walked also, just before Salty came up. Nathan was struggling to get his curve over. You and I could have drawn that walk with the pitches he threw. You guys are comparing a walk from a pitcher who was aobviously struggling to get the ball over the plate ( Did I miss that part of baseball 101 expitch?). There is no comparison to Shoppach's performance and Salty's. There is no equivalency there. Sorry. 

I give Padilla credit for the win. After committing a two-base error to put the go-ahead run at 3rd with less than two out. He knuckled down and worked out of the jamb.

Sections
Shortcuts