Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB

In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : Just curious. What are his stats with 2 out and RISP?
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

2 outs with RISP is not really clucth, but here aresome of the Sox numbers for 2012:

Aviles  1.063
    AGon      .959
    Midds     .955
    Papi        .905

Salty       .245 is last

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not dismissing CERA altogether, but I'm trying to also make a point that there is no Varitek sitting waiting to play. It's Shoppach, a veteran who has basically proven he's not really an everyday catcher, and Larvarnway, who the Sox feel still isn't MLB caliber. To me, trying to push Salty out the door at this stage is not only short-sighted, it's crazy.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Right, Shoppach has only caught over 89 games once in his career, and that was 4 years ago.

Look at VTek's age progression. Now, how should we expect a 24 year old player to step in and even match Salty's defense and CERA related numbers, especially since May 1st?

Lavarnway wasn't even a catcher all of his college day.
    He has 27 MLB innings caught.
    He's played 268 minor league games as a catcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If Salty is improving as you suggest moon, we should get a good look at it over  the rest of the season.  The way our schedule shapes up, we should expect our runs allowed per game to go up instead of down.  12 of our remaining 63 games are against the Yankees.  33 of our remaining games are against the Yankees, Rangers, Tigers, Jays and Orioles, all who have averaged more than 5 runs per game against us.  And 6 more are against the Angels.  Here is the breakdown of average runs against us by team, and how many games we have left against them.

GamesRunsAvgRemain
    NY6498.212
    TEX5397.83
    DET7446.33
    TOR12655.46
    BAL9485.39
    LA6
    KC3155.04
    OAK6274.53
    MIN3134.34
    N. L.18713.90
    CLE4153.84
    TB12393.36
    CHW8202.50
    SEA661.03
    Total994514.663

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS ALMIGHTY AND TIM THOMAS....
    HERE IS WHAT IS WRONG THE RED SOX
    1. Changing managers but doing so in such a dramatic manner
    that it went from modern-day manager to fossil. Nice in-game, 
    pretty much terrible at everything else, sort of the opposite of Tito.
    2. Pedroia underachieving
    3. Lester, Beckett way underachieving
    4. Gonzalez no power 1st half
    5. The injuries to Ellsbury, to Ortiz, to Pedroia, to Youkilis, to Bailey, 
    to CC, to Podsednik, to Sweeney, etc
    6. The offense's overall lack of OBP
    7. The SP inconsistency, especially no one really stepping up other than a guy who wasn't in the rotation (Cook) and another who was barely a lefty in the pen (Morales). Doubront has fallen off a bit too.
    8. The lack of Ben to react to trying to get players to replace the injured, instead sticking with perhaps one of the worst benches in the big leagues save for Shoppach.
    9. Overusing Daniel Nava and Nick Punto (see 8 above).
    ......Saltalamacchia is one of the few team brightspots. I hate this f-ing thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]They'd be wondering if he would set a new Sox catcher's mark for homers in a season. It's the cyberstats and metrics of trying to grade defense (something that was supposedly a negative to Ellsbury, which made no sense since he was fabulous defensively last year) that drives the force. And the team's poor record. I still think and I still believe that the onus falls on the pitchers to pitch well, and it's like an old repeating recording to still say a Beckett or a Lester have trouble throwing to Salty, whose now been on the staff for 1-1/2 years. Time to stop the blame game on the catchers.
    Correct.
    There are good reasons to distrust defensive metrics, chief amongst them the difficulty of controlling for all the variables, and for things that cannot be quantified. Thus it cuts no ice to say that all or most of the defensive stats for a player point in one direction if none of them is reliable. What's more, the procedural trail that ends with a stat and the assumptions behind the procedure are liable to scrutiny -- as in all forms and applications of statistics. ( I worked on test-making and test-evaluation for Educational Testing Service, and I guarantee that on these matters the committee's feet were put to the fire. ) I asked for and did not receive clarification of procedures that produce defensive stats for catchers. Moon asked Boom in one case how minus 7 was arrived at. 
    The Boston Red Sox and prospective trading partners are making overall evaluations of Salty. If the Sox or another team that acquires him in a trade slot him as FT catcher ( with allowance for rest and some platooning ), one thing will be certain: he will not have been judged the worst or anywhere close to the worst defensive catcher in the game or in his league. If that judgment were made, as it has been on this board, his homers would not save him. Count on that. Not given the importance of his position. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]They'd be wondering if he would set a new Sox catcher's mark for homers in a season. It's the cyberstats and metrics of trying to grade defense (something that was supposedly a negative to Ellsbury, which made no sense since he was fabulous defensively last year) that drives the force. And the team's poor record. I still think and I still believe that the onus falls on the pitchers to pitch well, and it's like an old repeating recording to still say a Beckett or a Lester have trouble throwing to Salty, whose now been on the staff for 1-1/2 years. Time to stop the blame game on the catchers.
    Correct.
    There are good reasons to distrust defensive metrics, chief amongst them the difficulty of controlling for all the variables, and for things that cannot be quantified. Thus it cuts no ice to say that all or most of the defensive stats for a player point in one direction if none of them is reliable. What's more, the procedural trail that ends with a stat and the assumptions behind the procedure are liable to scrutiny -- as in all forms and applications of statistics. ( I worked on test-making and test-evaluation for Educational Testing Service, and I guarantee that on these matters the committee's feet were put to the fire. ) I asked for and did not receive clarification of procedures that produce defensive stats for catchers. Moon asked Boom in one case how minus 7 was arrived at. 
    The Boston Red Sox and prospective trading partners are making overall evaluations of Salty. If the Sox or another team that acquires him in a trade slot him as FT catcher ( with allowance for rest and some platooning ), one thing will be certain: he will not have been judged the worst or anywhere close to the worst defensive catcher in the game or in his league. If that judgment were made, as it has been on this board, his homers would not save him. Count on that. Not given the importance of his position. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Correct.
    Best we let the professional evaluators handle this one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Correct.
    There are good reasons to distrust defensive metrics, chief amongst them the difficulty of controlling for all the variables, and for things that cannot be quantified. Thus it cuts no ice to say that all or most of the defensive stats for a player point in one direction if none of them is reliable, or most of them. What's more, the procedural trail that ends with a stat and the assumptions behind the procedure are liable to scrutiny -- as in all forms and applications of statistics. ( I worked on test-making and test-evaluation for Educational Testing Service, and I guarantee that on these matters the committee's feet were put to the fire. ) I asked for and did not receive clarification of procedures that produce defensive stats for catchers. Moon asked Boom in one case how minus 7 was arrived at. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Correct.
    There are good reasons to distrust defensive metrics, chief amongst them the difficulty of controlling for all the variables, and for things that cannot be quantified. Thus it cuts no ice to say that all or most of the defensive stats for a player point in one direction if none of them is reliable, or most of them. What's more, the procedural trail that ends with a stat and the assumptions behind the procedure are liable to scrutiny -- as in all forms and applications of statistics. ( I worked on test-making and test-evaluation for Educational Testing Service, and I guarantee that on these matters the committee's feet were put to the fire. ) I asked for and did not receive clarification of procedures that produce defensive stats for catchers. Moon asked Boom in one case how minus 7 was arrived at. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS ALMIGHTY AND TIM THOMAS.... HERE IS WHAT IS WRONG THE RED SOX 1. Changing managers but doing so in such a dramatic manner that it went from modern-day manager to fossil. Nice in-game,  pretty much terrible at everything else, sort of the opposite of Tito. 2. Pedroia underachieving 3. Lester, Beckett way underachieving 4. Gonzalez no power 1st half 5. The injuries to Ellsbury, to Ortiz, to Pedroia, to Youkilis, to Bailey,  to CC, to Podsednik, to Sweeney, etc 6. The offense's overall lack of OBP 7. The SP inconsistency, especially no one really stepping up other than a guy who wasn't in the rotation (Cook) and another who was barely a lefty in the pen (Morales). Doubront has fallen off a bit too. 8. The lack of Ben to react to trying to get players to replace the injured, instead sticking with perhaps one of the worst benches in the big leagues save for Shoppach. 9. Overusing Daniel Nava and Nick Punto (see 8 above). ......Saltalamacchia is one of the few team brightspots. I hate this f-ing thread.

You know that no one in the Red Sox FO is worrying about Salty right now. If he gets moved it is only because someone else wants to overpay for him.

He isn't an issue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : Correct. There are good reasons to distrust defensive metrics, chief amongst them the difficulty of controlling for all the variables, and for things that cannot be quantified. Thus it cuts no ice to say that all or most of the defensive stats for a player point in one direction if none of them is reliable, or most of them. What's more, the procedural trail that ends with a stat and the assumptions behind the procedure are liable to scrutiny -- as in all forms and applications of statistics. ( I worked on test-making and test-evaluation for Educational Testing Service, and I guarantee that on these matters the committee's feet were put to the fire. ) I asked for and did not receive clarification of procedures that produce defensive stats for catchers. Moon asked Boom in one case how minus 7 was arrived at.  The Boston Red Sox and prospective trading partners are making overall evaluations of Salty. If the Sox or another team that acquires him in a trade slot him as FT catcher ( with allowance for rest and some platooning ), one thing will be certain: he will not have been judged the worst or anywhere close to the worst defensive catcher in the game or in his league. If that judgment were made, as it has been on this board, his homers would not save him. Count on that. Not given the importance of his position.  Best we let the professional evaluators handle this one.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

You just need to hit publish once.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

heres a scary thought, how many times did the Sox start a player who was later DFA'd....Byrd, Lillibridge. DMac...

and this team is supposedly a contender...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Correct.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even time tested stats like BA, OBP and HRs are not as reliable indicators of offensive skills as some believe. There are countless variables at work in every AB. Park, pitcher, opposing defense, wind, sun, and on and on...

Long sample sizes tend to weed out the variables, but home park and unbalanced schedules always remain and strongly effect the numbers.

The one thing catcher numbers have over batting is that a catcher catches a far great amount of pitches over a full season than any hitter ever faces. The sample sizes are far greater, and this helps compensate for the added variables.

We've all seen questionable error calls by the scorekeeper. WPs called PBs and vice versa. SBs made totally because of the pitcher. Pitchers missin the catchers target for an HR or for a K. 

Salty's CERA numbers have not been good. His overall CERA numbers this year as compared to Shoppach are not favorable, however, I still maintain that since about May 1st, Salty has shown an incredible improvement in this area. I cn understand posters not wanting to believe a small sample size over a larger one, but with catcher defense, I think the MLB norm is for catchers to not become good or great defensive catchers or game-callers/pitcher-handlers until their late 20's or early 30's. I'm thinking it makes sense t ride it out a while longer. Yes, there has been a dip recently as ourstaff has struggled the last week or so, but unless we trade Salty next week, we need to find out what he is made of over a full season. Last year, he apparently hit a wall in early August. His stamina and durablity are a concern. Not letting him finish this season as the #1 starter will not allow us to learn what needs to be learned, and we'll be in the same boat next year (not that ending the season poorly means Salty should be 100% written off).

I really like Lava a lot. I am fairly confident he will become a fine ML hitter soon. I have serious doubts about his current readiness to handly a ML staff in a playoff drive at age 24. I was all for trading Salty this past winter and going with Lava under the assumption that he couldn't be worse than Salty was in 2011. I felt the same way up to mid May. Then, I noticed (with the help of expitch refocusing me) that Salty was doing a much better job. I have watched closely and seen major improvements in more than just pitcher-handling areas of a catcher's duties. While I am not saying Salty is one of the best, his recent play (last 12-23 weeks) has impressed me enough to feel he deserves a chance to prove this streak is no a fluke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : You just need to hit publish once.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    I tried to, but the note said "try again later." I tried later and later and later. I kept assuming that the post had not been published, since I was repeatedly told to keep trying.
    Sorry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

the forum browser is very very slow. repeating posts because you can't tell if it refreshed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : I tried to, but the note said "try again later." I tried later and later and later. I kept assuming that the post had not been published, since I was repeatedly told to keep trying. Sorry.

No apology needed.  I was being an idiot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : No apology needed.  I was being an idiot.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    LOL. Everyone has been an idiot at one time or other.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hey, speak for yourself...:-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Typical Salty game tonight.  A homer, 3 K's, 10 runs allowed and a loss. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Typical Salty game tonight.  A homer, 3 K's, 10 runs allowed and a loss. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

yes it was totally Salty's fault that Cook's sinker was chest high...even after Salty set up low and inside...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : yes it was totally Salty's fault that Cook's sinker was chest high...even after Salty set up low and inside...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Funny, that stuff always seems to happen when Salty's catching.  Ah, it's just that bad luck of his again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The good trend Salty was on with the staff seems to be reversing a bit recently. It´s now or never time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Salty did fine with most of the pen, but the guy I have said all year is a complete joke and should not be pitching anymore in MLB reared his ugly head--Melancon. He is batting practice and it's time the Sox figure that out. As for Cook, ditto what geo said. Bad game for Cook.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB : Correct. There are good reasons to distrust defensive metrics, chief amongst them the difficulty of controlling for all the variables, and for things that cannot be quantified. Thus it cuts no ice to say that all or most of the defensive stats for a player point in one direction if none of them is reliable. What's more, the procedural trail that ends with a stat and the assumptions behind the procedure are liable to scrutiny -- as in all forms and applications of statistics. ( I worked on test-making and test-evaluation for Educational Testing Service, and I guarantee that on these matters the committee's feet were put to the fire. ) I asked for and did not receive clarification of procedures that produce defensive stats for catchers. Moon asked Boom in one case how minus 7 was arrived at.  The Boston Red Sox and prospective trading partners are making overall evaluations of Salty. If the Sox or another team that acquires him in a trade slot him as FT catcher ( with allowance for rest and some platooning ), one thing will be certain: he will not have been judged the worst or anywhere close to the worst defensive catcher in the game or in his league. If that judgment were made, as it has been on this board, his homers would not save him. Count on that. Not given the importance of his position. 

I gave Moon the -7 DRS link. Actually 2 of them. Here they are again. Specifically how DRS is calculated:

I will readily state that defensive catcher metrics are probably the hardest to quantify of any position. The most suspect. All that said though, the numbers are not good and have consistently been not good for Salty his entire career. Only one positive DRS in his career so far and this year is actually his worst year yet defensively.