Re: Saltalamacchia--10th best catcher in MLB
posted at 7/28/2012 10:01 AM EDT
Even if we win the next 2 games we probably should be sellers. I doubt that we will be big sellers though. We are the Redsox.
I think we should be judicious sellers. We certainly have a shot next year. Guys like Cody Ross should be gone. As great as he has been his contract is done in a couple months. He is worth something. What a great $3 mil sign ( kudos for Moon for pushing that one all winter ). Let's make the most of that value.
I´d actually first try to extend Ross, but if he declines then sit him down and tell him we´d really like to re-sign him this winter, but are looking to trade him now, effectively giving up on this year. However, to me Ross returning here next year makes the most sense if one of two things happen:
1) We let Papi walk or he declines arb and walks by his own choice.
2) We trade CC, so Ross can and his defense can be "hidden" in LF and not exploited by the opps in RF.
Salty is certainly worth something, as is Shoppach. One of them should be gone. Shoppach is another 1 year deal. He almost definitely should be gone.
If we don't trade Salty or Lava now, I could see trading Shoppach, but if brining up Lava one month early losses a year of control on the back end, is it worth it to bring him up during a "lost year"? We could trade Shoppach and bring up someone else for August.
Salty has hit a lot of his HR to left field. He is probably worth more to us than he is to just about any club. Maybe he would also be great in Houston. His HR pop does seem to be trending up. He is the right age for a catcher coming into his prime. He turned out to be worth a heck of a lot more than what we gave up for him. Still, I would trade him in a heartbeat for the right deal. He is of value and we do have a guy in the minors who can probably step in well.
Lowest team WAR at the catcher position:
30) TB (I'd love to package Lava or Salty for Shields)
29) Oak (I´d give Salty or Lava for McCarthy, but only if we extend him.)
28) Mia (Lot's of players to chose from here-esp salry dumps we dont want.)
27) Cubs (Garza?)
26) Mets (Some young promising pitchers here)
25) Colo (No starting pitchers under 5.00. C. Gonzalez is a lefty/D. Fowler switchy)
22) Hou (???)
9) CWS (Pierzynski is a FA after this year)
We have some relievers who should be gone. These deals should allow us to still compete but we should judiciously improve our position for next year while we can.
I have said the same several times. We can be cautios sellers and still leave the window open for this year, but set ourselves up nicely for next year by:
1) Getting under the luxury limit this year, so we can go over next year or 2014.
2) Stockpile prospects for a possible large winter deal-avoid big FA pitcher signings.
2012 window left open-sell:
Cook (I´d look to extend first)
Padilla (I´d look to extend first)
Sweeney (FA after 2013)
Punto (FA after 2013)
R Hill (after 2013)
Albers (after 2014)
Atchison (FA after 2016, but too probably old to make it that long)
Salty (FA after 2013)
Close window for 2012:
Ellsbury (FA after 2013)
Lester (Club option for 2014)
Try hard to dump salary ASAP:
Beckett? (I doubt we get return worth what he is worth to us, so this is unlikely.)