Saltalamacchia Tracker...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Saltalamacchia Tracker...

Because I care...

.276 avg, .344 OBP, .827 OPS.

8 hits, 13 STRIKEOUTS!!!!

Recently hit his first HR of the year...I'm expecting him to continue to grow, I'm on record as stating the Sox will miss letting him walk.

Jose Fernandez was an elite talent before Salty got there, and his 0.71 ERA through 2 starts suggests Salty is no detriment while calling his games.

I haven't been this interested in a former Sox since Arroyo was sent to Cincy for Wily Mo! I miss Bronson's white-boy braids, and guitar-playing Boston loving attitude. If memory serves, he was the conduit between the Dropkick Murphys and the Sox connection? I may be wrong there.

At any rate...GO SALTY!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia Tracker...

i also am on record that letting salty walk (and subsequently killing our team P/PA by signing AJP) is by far the worst move of the offseason. he is a top 10 catcher with no injury issues that is entering his prime. oh yeah and he signed a team friendly deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

letting him go to sign a 3yr worth 7 mil a year is ben's worst move this season....the fact that he offered drew 2/3 of that sum for one year is revolting....more revolting still Drew declined...the mind boggles..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Let me guess...None of you have ever seen Vasquez play?  Salty is a terrific guy and he was a big part of last season, but too many people in the organization didn't think he was the "catcher of the future."  

This Front Office has been exceptional at knowing when to let players walk over the last 12 years, and I'm willing to bet that they will be right about Salty.  I wish him well, but I don't think people will be talking about the Front Office "making a mistake" by letting him go by the end of the season. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Vasquez' status shouldn't play a role in saltys situation. He signed a team friendly deal and is a good enough talent that they could have EASILY moved him if vasquez turned into the second coming of Bench.

Vasquez probably wont be ready until 2015 (if ever). letting a prospect dictate how you run your MLB roster isn't smart. it'd be one thing if it was a similar situation to Jacoby and JBJ where the incumbent is slated to make big bucks and you go "hey we have a pretty decent replacement who is MLB ready and the current guy is going to make much mroe than we're willing to pay. let's let him walk and go the cheap youth route." but it's nothing like that. Salty is a quality talent who signed a cheap deal. it was the best and most logical move to make in regards to the short term (while superstar vasquez refines his game in the minors and not having to rely on two 37 year old catchers, one of them being a terrible fit on the team) as well as the long term (if vasquez doesn't cut it). and like it was mentioned before, if vasquez did end up overtaking the position from Salty either 1 could have been traded for a big return. so i really don't see a single downside to retaining salty. on the other hand, i see many many downsides to letting him walk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Vasquez' status shouldn't play a role in saltys situation. He signed a team friendly deal and is a good enough talent that they could have EASILY moved him if vasquez turned into the second coming of Bench.

Vasquez probably wont be ready until 2015 (if ever). letting a prospect dictate how you run your MLB roster isn't smart. it'd be one thing if it was a similar situation to Jacoby and JBJ where the incumbent is slated to make big bucks and you go "hey we have a pretty decent replacement who is MLB ready and the current guy is going to make much mroe than we're willing to pay. let's let him walk and go the cheap youth route." but it's nothing like that. Salty is a quality talent who signed a cheap deal. it was the best and most logical move to make in regards to the short term (while superstar vasquez refines his game in the minors and not having to rely on two 37 year old catchers, one of them being a terrible fit on the team) as well as the long term (if vasquez doesn't cut it). and like it was mentioned before, if vasquez did end up overtaking the position from Salty either 1 could have been traded for a big return. so i really don't see a single downside to retaining salty. on the other hand, i see many many downsides to letting him walk.

First of all, Christian Vasquez would start for a lot of teams in baseball right now, but fortunately for fans like you, the Sox have the luxury of not having to rush their prospects, because they have the resources to be able to sign veterans to hold their place until they are "sure" they are ready.  if you polled a handful of Major league scouts at any given time right now on who they think the 2nd best defensive catcher in all of baseball is, again, "right now," the answer would more often than not be Luis Vasquez.  

Your "opinion" that AJ is a "terrible fit" on this team is just that.  The pitchers rave about throwing to him, but not so much with Salty.  That is a fact, not your "opinion."  By the way, you don't sign a player to a 3 year contract that you don't see as part of the future, just so you can trade him a year from now.  It's not how it works, and it's bad business.

To think that Vasquez's "situation" (As well as Swihart's) didn't play a role in the decision is kind of silly, especially when you clearly realize that JBJ's "situation" played a role in letting Ellsbury walk.  We'll see how it all plays out, but giving 20+ million on a multi-year deal to a player who was benched in favor of a journey man backup in the World Series when you have two of the most highly touted catching prospects in the game, clearly makes zero sense to the guys who get paid to make these decisions. Lastly, how much do you know about how comfortable  some of the Sox pitchers were throwing to Salty?  My guess is not enough to definitively call letting Salty go a mistake...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Didn't we have about a 2,000 post thread about how Salty had to go last year?

Wasn't there great rejoicing when Ross took over for Salty in the WS last year?

Did I sign into the wrong site?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Not offering Salty a Q.O. was a huge mistake.  It would have been a huge overpay, but I'd rather have him for one year than AJP, and perhaps a fair 2 year deal could have been worked out with the comp attached to him.

Either way very soon Vasquez and Swihart are going to show us what we've been waiting for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't we have about a 2,000 post thread about how Salty had to go last year?

Wasn't there great rejoicing when Ross took over for Salty in the WS last year?

Did I sign into the wrong site?

[/QUOTE]

It's right next to the "Letting Jon Papelbon go was an idiotic move," thread buried somewhere in the BDC junkyard. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Vazquez has the defense to be a top MLB catcher right now, the only question mark he has is how he will hit at the MLB level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not offering Salty a Q.O. was a huge mistake.  It would have been a huge overpay, but I'd rather have him for one year than AJP, and perhaps a fair 2 year deal could have been worked out with the comp attached to him.

Either way very soon Vasquez and Swihart are going to show us what we've been waiting for.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox organization had zero interest in paying a guy like Salty 14 million dollars this season.  Absolutely zero.  The organization, as a whole, didn't see him as the catcher of the future, yet they had tremendous respect for him as a person.  Plan A was Ruiz on a one year deal, but that blew up, so they did the homework on AJ and liked what they found out.  They think Vasquez can catch now, but they can afford the luxury of giving him more time.  The Sox Front Office didn't wake up one morning and flip a coin to decide whether or not to give Salty a qualifyjng offer.  Whether they were "wrong" or not, at best, remains to be seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They didn't need to offer a QO. 

We probably could have gotten him for $24M/3, if we wanted him-  that is assuming Salty could get over being benched in the WS.

Had Vazquez or Swihart eventually earned the FT job, Salty could have easily been traded, most likely for a handsome return.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We probably could have gotten him for $24M/3, if we wanted him-  that is assuming Salty could get over being benched in the WS.

Had Vazquez or Swihart eventually earned the FT job, Salty could have easily been traded, most likely for a handsome return.

As I mentioned earlier, you don't sign players that you don't see as part of the future to three year contracts, just so that you "might" be able to trade that player later on.  It's just not how it's done.  The Sox were clearly ready to move on from Salty, letting him find his own deal was the right move, and again, how much do the fans know about how Sox pitchers felt about throwing to him?  This was never a "tough" decision for this Front Office, that I do know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

LOL the Armchair GM'ing never ends.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First of all, Luis Vasquez would start for a lot of teams in baseball right now, but fortunately for fans like you, the Sox have the luxury of not having to rush their prospects, because they have the resources to be able to sign veterans to hold their place until they are "sure" they are ready.  if you polled a handful of Major league scouts at any given time right now on who they think the 2nd best defensive catcher in all of baseball is, again, "right now," the answer would more often than not be Luis Vasquez.  

Your "opinion" that AJ is a "terrible fit" on this team is just that.  The pitchers rave about throwing to him, but not so much with Salty.  That is a fact, not your "opinion."  By the way, you don't sign a player to a 3 year contract that you don't see as part of the future, just so you can trade him a year from now.  It's not how it works, and it's bad business.

To think that Vasquez's "situation" (As well as Swihart's) didn't play a role in the decision is kind of silly, especially when you clearly realize that JBJ's "situation" played a role in letting Ellsbury walk.  We'll see how it all plays out, but giving 20+ million on a multi-year deal to a player who was benched in favor of a journey man backup in the World Series when you have two of the most highly touted catching prospects in the game, clearly makes zero sense to the guys who get paid to make these decisions. Lastly, how much do you know about how comfortable  some of the Sox pitchers were throwing to Salty?  My guess is not enough to definitively call letting Salty go a mistake...

[/QUOTE]

It's Christian Vasquez. Not Luis. Unless that is his nickname.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First of all, Luis Vasquez would start for a lot of teams in baseball right now, but fortunately for fans like you, the Sox have the luxury of not having to rush their prospects, because they have the resources to be able to sign veterans to hold their place until they are "sure" they are ready.  if you polled a handful of Major league scouts at any given time right now on who they think the 2nd best defensive catcher in all of baseball is, again, "right now," the answer would more often than not be Luis Vasquez.  

[/QUOTE]

It's Christian Vasquez. Not Luis. Unless that is his nickname.

[/QUOTE]

Let's go with "nickname."  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Gotta be kidding me. Its crunch time, the world series, and Salty is ridding the pine. Right then and there told us all we need to know about what the organizations baseball people really thougth about Salty. Great guy, but when it matters most his employers choose someone esle. That had to hurt. Move on Salty and he did. 

We have a fomer pitching coach as manager. At some level he spoke for the staff when he choose not to play Salty. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Nice guy, but thank God he's gone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

As I mentioned earlier, you don't sign players that you don't see as part of the future to three year contracts, just so that you "might" be able to trade that player later on.  It's just not how it's done.  The Sox were clearly ready to move on from Salty, letting him find his own deal was the right move, and again, how much do the fans know about how Sox pitchers felt about throwing to him?  This was never a "tough" decision for this Front Office, that I do know.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Salty was never part of the longterm plan, but the idea of signing Salty for 3 years was not so we could trade him. That only would happen if and when a young catcher proved worthy of the FT job. That could be 2-4 years from now. It was a secondary reason, but valid if you took away the fact that neither party wanted each other after the WS stiff.

The writing was on the wall, when we went with Ross when it counted. There was no way Salty was coming back, which brings me to my earlier point from last spring and winter:

Extend Salty in the winter of 2012-2013 or trade him for something good rather than lose him for nothing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I can't believe there's going to be a thread dedicated to a former player throughout the season. What a waste of time and space. And it's totally disrespectful to the team we have out there playing now.

He's gone. It's one thing to voice your opinion about a player leaving, but keeping track of him all season just to try to prove the GM wrong is just ridiculous. If you're this obsessed with a former player, maybe you should just give him a call and see if he's free this weekend.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I can't believe there's going to be a thread dedicated to a former player throughout the season."

The thread will only continue if there is a great deal of interest in it. Otherwise it will fade away. 

"What a waste of time and space."

Space is not scarce in the Internet, there is still plenty of room for other threads. As for time, it's up to individuals here to decide which threads are a waste of time. For example I think complaining about the Yankees and Yankee fans is a waste of my time, and you do it quite frequently, in fact you'll do it all season. It's not a waste of your time as you see it, and that's fine.

"And it's totally disrespectful to the team we have out there playing now."

It's totally not. It would be if we were in the clubhouse, I'll give you that. But the team isn't reading this forum, has no interest in reading this forum, so there is no disrespect here. 

That said I don't plan to post on this thread myself after this once, it's not really my cup of tea. 

From where I sit today I wish we had re-signed Salty. I see it as a mistake but one of the few Cherry has made. And given that we had other plans in play in future years, it's not likely to hurt us much.

Sections
Shortcuts