Saltalamacchia Tracker...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia Tracker...

You say "most free agents ook good for a month"

I say "Carl Crawford".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Whatever your feelings about Salty, it is quite a leap of faith to assume that Vasquez will be ready next year. How can you be so sure of that?

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i love the fact that the rationale for trading salty is that vasquez will make him expendable....a guy who is noiwhere near ready to play mlb this year and wont be until salty's contract is close to ending....if he's ready at all ever

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Somebody posted this on one of the other threads-

case in point the Roberts signing....more lateral moves by Ben trying to squeeze anything out of marginal players rather than give youngsters a shot...do you even watch the game at all? jb is a gold glove caliber outfielder right now with his range, instincts, and arm....let him play everyday in CF where he belongs.

That's as close a description of Vazquez as possible.  There really isn't much of a reason to think that JBJ and Cecchini will progress, but not Vazquez.

[/QUOTE]

i would love to see Vazquez come up and play...but getting rid of salty before he even plays one pitch behind the plate is a bit presumptuous....case in point Lavarnway - he was going to be a stud and it was quite apparent early on he was overhyped and overmatched on both sides of the plate....we didnt re-sign salty for back up money...thats amazing imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

i would love to see Vazquez come up and play...but getting rid of salty before he even plays one pitch behind the plate is a bit presumptuous....case in point Lavarnway - he was going to be a stud and it was quite apparent early on he was overhyped and overmatched on both sides of the plate....we didnt re-sign salty for back up money...thats amazing imo

$22 million is backup money? LMAO way to keep it real, as usual, buddy.

Sorry geo, David Ross is a backup and his contract is $6.2 million - David Ross, you know, the guy we were so happy to see replace Salty in the World Series last year? 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is gone because he is a BAD catcher, not going to pay a bad catcher big $$$$$....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well, hes not holding back the 3 individual pitchers sporting ERAs under 2.67.

Marlins and Sox have remarkably similar team pitching stats...Sox have, by FAR, the better staff 1-13. So I guess Salty is doing something right. Or, at least NOT doing something wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His OBP has continued to improve over the years.

His staff handling improved greatly.

His only clear weakness was throwing.

The sample sizes are too small to judge so far, but Jeff Mathis has a long history of great CERA-related skills, but so far...

Salty (133.2 Innings) 3.30 CERA/ .685 OPS against

Mathis (24.0 Innings) 6.00 CERA / .947 OPS against

He's off to a solid start and even has a 25% CS rate (2 of 8) vs Mathis 0% (0 of 5).

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whatever your feelings about Salty, it is quite a leap of faith to assume that Vasquez will be ready next year. How can you be so sure of that?

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You can't be sure about anyone-Pedey, Ellsbury, Lester, Buch, Paps, some elite players.  Not to mention the S&P, Russell 2000, etc.  You have no choice sometimes but to make educated guesses.

Or you can hire some FAs, and they are just as likely to fail.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is gone because he is a BAD catcher, not going to pay a bad catcher big $$$$$....

[/QUOTE]

So wait.....Salty is a bad catcher, and Lava is the next Carlton Fisk????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You can't be sure about anyone-Pedey, Ellsbury, Lester, Buch, Paps, some elite players.  Not to mention the S&P, Russell 2000, etc.  You have no choice sometimes but to make educated guesses.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].    Joe, I don't like your thinking here. You can't compare established star players with untested prospects when it comes to predictability. You will lose your shirt more often than not. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].    Joe, I don't like your thinking here. You can't compare established star players with untested prospects when it comes to predictability. You will lose your shirt more often than not. 

[/QUOTE]

What the Red Sox have been trying to do is keep a balance between established players and youth.  It's a good approach IMO.

You have to give those untested prospects their chance at the MLB level when the time comes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because I care...

.276 avg, .344 OBP, .827 OPS.

8 hits, 13 STRIKEOUTS!!!!

Recently hit his first HR of the year...I'm expecting him to continue to grow, I'm on record as stating the Sox will miss letting him walk.

Jose Fernandez was an elite talent before Salty got there, and his 0.71 ERA through 2 starts suggests Salty is no detriment while calling his games.

I haven't been this interested in a former Sox since Arroyo was sent to Cincy for Wily Mo! I miss Bronson's white-boy braids, and guitar-playing Boston loving attitude. If memory serves, he was the conduit between the Dropkick Murphys and the Sox connection? I may be wrong there.

At any rate...GO SALTY!

[/QUOTE]

Nice post MaDragon. I have always been a big Salty fan so I am happy to have a place to read about how he's doing. Personally..I don't think the Sox are better off without him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If the Sox had re-signed Salty for 3 years there would be plenty of complaining about his strikeouts, his defensive issues, and about how he was blocking Vazquez and Swihart.  It's comical really.

Anybody who wasn't relieved to see Salty get benched for the last 3 games of the World Series put up your hand. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My hand is up.

Salty did a very good job for us all last season.

The throw to 3rd should (or at least could) have been caught, and nobody would care. 

No one player loses a game, and if you believe that, then what about his walk-off hit vs Detroit?

Benching Salty was a risky move. We'll never know if we would have won with Salty playing those last 3 games, but that benching sealed his fate. He was never coming back here after that.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let me guess...None of you have ever seen Vasquez play?  Salty is a terrific guy and he was a big part of last season, but too many people in the organization didn't think he was the "catcher of the future."  

This Front Office has been exceptional at knowing when to let players walk over the last 12 years, and I'm willing to bet that they will be right about Salty.  I wish him well, but I don't think people will be talking about the Front Office "making a mistake" by letting him go by the end of the season. 

[/QUOTE]

OK ... Vasquez ... Catcher of future ? Well the future is NOW!!! ...Let the kid play, he won't hit any worst then those two old farts we got now.  Dump Ross and AJ Pierstinky... Let the future shine on fenway now  .Dam ! it can't hurt......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let me guess...None of you have ever seen Vasquez play?  Salty is a terrific guy and he was a big part of last season, but too many people in the organization didn't think he was the "catcher of the future."  

This Front Office has been exceptional at knowing when to let players walk over the last 12 years, and I'm willing to bet that they will be right about Salty.  I wish him well, but I don't think people will be talking about the Front Office "making a mistake" by letting him go by the end of the season. 

[/QUOTE]

OK ... Vasquez ... Catcher of future ? Well the future is NOW!!! ...Let the kid play, he won't hit any worst then those two old farts we got now.  Dump Ross and AJ Pierstinky... Let the future shine on fenway now  .Dam ! it can't hurt......

[/QUOTE]

Well it could hurt....he could come up and be completely over-matched and bat .150 like JBJ did when he was first called up.  And his elite defense could be somewhat offset by his passed ball syndrome.

He just reached AAA, and has been there for a few weeks, rushing him would not be wise....he could very well be an option by mid year.  But not now, it is too soon.  He's cooled down after a decent start so I'm not confident he could equal what AJP/Ross can do offensively at all. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

My hand is up.

The throw to 3rd should (or at least could) have been caught, and nobody would care. 

No one player loses a game, and if you believe that, then what about his walk-off hit vs Detroit?

Benching Salty was a risky move. We'll never know if we would have won with Salty playing those last 3 games, but that benching sealed his fate. He was never coming back here after that.

Sox4ever

a) You're leaving out the error he had in Game 2 which contributed to the Cardinals winning rally.

b) How was benching him a 'risky move'?  At the plate he was 0 for his last 10 with 7 K's, and he had defensive misplays in back-to-back games - the one in Game 3 was arguably not his fault I guess.

But in what way was David Ross a risk?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

don, you're a threat to overtake Bill-806.  You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.  Relax and let Ben and John run the team.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My hand is up.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

a) You're leaving out the error he had in Game 2 which contributed to the Cardinals winning rally.

b) How was benching him a 'risky move'?  At the plate he was 0 for his last 10 with 7 K's, and he had defensive misplays in back-to-back games - the one in Game 3 was arguably not his fault I guess.

But in what way was David Ross a risk?  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I didn't forget the error.

The risk of playing a rusty Ross was the lost offense that Salty gave us all year.

It worked out. I have no complaints, but I was not "relieved" when Salty was benched.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]  

The risk of playing a rusty Ross was the lost offense that Salty gave us all year.

It worked out. I have no complaints, but I was not "relieved" when Salty was benched.

[/QUOTE]

Ross wasn't 'rusty'.  He had 9 starts the last month of the season and 4 postseason starts prior to Game 4 of the WS.

Granted he was an offensive downgrade from Salty, but what about defence?  Where are you factoring that in?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]  

[/QUOTE]

Ross wasn't 'rusty'.  He had 9 starts the last month of the season and 4 postseason starts prior to Game 4 of the WS.

Granted he was an offensive downgrade from Salty, but what about defence?  Where are you factoring that in?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Salty looked lost and overwhelmed.  He had struck out 19 times in 35 PAs in the playoffs.  He might've been worn down by that time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's my point.  All the guys I mentioned were unproven prospects at one point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Of course, I factored in Ross with better D, but if Ross was clearly the better choice, he'd have played more before that fateful throw by Salty.

Nobody was calling for Ross to be the FT starter before that one play.

Yes, I felt better about any further throws needed by our catcher after Salty was benched, but I did not feel anywhere near "relieved" by the fact that Ross was starting over Salty.

Our offense was struggling mightily in the playoffs last year. Benching one of the best offensive catchers in MLB last year during a mighty slump was risky. I'm not arguing that it was the wrong move, but it clearly had some risks involved.

Throws by catcher rarely effect the outcomes of games. It is not usually a significant factor in winning and losing. The difference between and average throwing catcher and Salty is not as significant as many want to think it is. And besides all that, Salty's throw should have been caught or at least knocked down.

Listen, I like Ross. I was in favor of the signing. He's not that bad on offense either. He's better at throwing, but maybe worse at framing pitches and who knows who was better or worse at blocking bad pitches in the dirt. The CERA numbers pitcher by pitcher favored Ross slightly, but Salty had greatly improved his skil lset in this area over the 2 years prior to his benching. We won a ring. Nobody can argue benching Salty hurt us. I get that. I know why he was benched. I understand the reason.

I really don't think the benching was a big deal, so that is why I took issue with the word "relieved". I actually was more surprised by the Nava benching than the Salty benching, but that is another can of worms.

I'm glad Salty's off to a good start. He seemed like a hard-working guy who did everything he could to improve his weaknesses. He improved on every one, but throwing, and I'm not sure if that is something you can practice and practice to overcome a short-coming. After 17 games, he leads the majors in WAR by a catcher (+0.7). Good for him.

I'm not crying about losing him. He would not have signed with us, even if we offered more than the Marlins. The benching made sure of that. Before 2013 began, I had a feeling he was not in our long term plan and suggested that we extend him or trade him before we got nothing in return. Had we traded him last winter, could we have still won a ring? Hard to know for sure, so again, I have no complaints, but in hindsight, I wish we had traded him or let him play the rest of the WS and extended him at $25M/3. If a prospect ended up taking away his FT job, then great. We could easily trade 1-2 years left on his deal for a very useful piece. That's just my opinion, and I am in no way bashing Ben or John for the choices they made.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

I watched the Marlins and Atlanta last night, there was Salty, twice turning his head on balls in the dirt, one skipped by him, the pitcher was charged with a WP. The announcer was saying how Salty wishes he had played it differently by dropping down to the ground and simply blocking it. Good point made and it was made more evident soon afterward, another ball bounced in, Salty turned his head away, but managed to find the ball in his glove. I miss Salty, like I miss jock itch. (credit; Chuck Barris)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

letting him go to sign a 3yr worth 7 mil a year is ben's worst move this season....the fact that he offered drew 2/3 of that sum for one year is revolting....more revolting still Drew declined...the mind boggles..

[/QUOTE]

Ben had a great last year, a midas touch...this year he has been lost in the wilderness, can you imagine sox with beltran and cruz...what is happening today was foreseeable since last winter... Only a couple of good trades can save us from a worst to first reverse....  

Sections
Shortcuts