Saltalamacchia Tracker...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia Tracker...

Question how is Salty doing behind the plate. Are runners stealing? He has a major league bat, but certainly is not a very upscale defensive guy.

boboinfla

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Question how is Salty doing behind the plate. Are runners stealing? He has a major league bat, but certainly is not a very upscale defensive guy.

boboinfla

[object HTMLDivElement]

17 SBs and 3 CS (Pretty bad)

1 PB and 10 WPs (Pretty bad)

He appears to be off to a ruff defensive start, but he should be afforded a learning curve with a new staff to catch.

If you go by WAR, which combined offense and defense...

2014 Leaders at Catcher (30 catchers with 60+ PAs):

1) Salty +1.4

2) Y Molina +1.3

3) Wieters  +1.1

18) AJ P  +0.5

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What happened to the updates on this thread?

Salty 242/337/412 749 OPS 6 HR 17 RBI

AJP 283/314/415 729 OPS 4 HR 26 RBI

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What happened to the updates on this thread?

Salty 242/337/412 749 OPS 6 HR 17 RBI

AJP 283/314/415 729 OPS 4 HR 26 RBI

[/QUOTE]

Poster felt like an idiot after AJ started doing better

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Ajp drives in runs more often when it counts.  Advantage ajp.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Salty's OPS has dropped from 1.011 on May 2 to .739 today.

He'll probably bring it back up some.

But people need to remember what a long season it is and the ups and downs players have. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Salty's OPS has dropped from 1.011 on May 2 to .739 today.

He'll probably bring it back up some.

But people need to remember what a long season it is and the ups and downs players have. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That'll flop around all season, but right now AJP is #6 in WAR and Salty #7.  Salty has allowed the most SBs (35/7), while AJP is at 18/9.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

As of June 1, 2014 Salty has a WAR (wins above replacement) of .1 and Pierzynski has a WAR of .9.  AJP is a better hitter and catcher behind the plate, but best of all he is on a one year contract because the Sox have at least two very good catching prospects waiting in the wings.  More than that, Saltalamacchia's days were numbered last postseason when he had to be benched because the Sox were better when Salty was not playing.  When the OP has forgotten is the Sox got Salty from Texas for a song because he was going nowhere, mostly because of his erratic arm.  The arm is much better, but opposing base stealers are still successful against Salty (and whoever is pitching for the Marlins) over 80% of the time.  

This thread is useful because it confirms that the FO is right more often than wrong.  Salty had to go, and almost any "rent-a-catcher" would do in his stead until Vazquez or whoever makes it to Boston.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I like Salty, but A.J. has done as well or better.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As of June 1, 2014 Salty has a WAR (wins above replacement) of .1 and Pierzynski has a WAR of .9.  AJP is a better hitter and catcher behind the plate, but best of all he is on a one year contract because the Sox have at least two very good catching prospects waiting in the wings.  More than that, Saltalamacchia's days were numbered last postseason when he had to be benched because the Sox were better when Salty was not playing.  When the OP has forgotten is the Sox got Salty from Texas for a song because he was going nowhere, mostly because of his erratic arm.  The arm is much better, but opposing base stealers are still successful against Salty (and whoever is pitching for the Marlins) over 80% of the time.  

This thread is useful because it confirms that the FO is right more often than wrong.  Salty had to go, and almost any "rent-a-catcher" would do in his stead until Vazquez or whoever makes it to Boston.  

[/QUOTE]

I never forgot why the Sox got Salty. Used up options, crushed his confidence, and needed the 40-man space. They've done it to more than 1 player, Chris Davis anyone?

Just a few weeks ago, there were "rumblings" that nobody liked AJ, pitchers didn't like pitching to him, and they were considering moving on from him already. Now, he's playing better, as are the Sox, so you don't hear it as much.

Beyond my liking of Salty, a LARGE part of my reasoning was Salty only got comfortable last year after taking over for VTek. Now the pitchers had to learn AJ. Next year they will have to learn ANOTHER new catcher. 4 different catchers in 5 years with Ross, the BACKUP, supposedly providing some continuity. To me, that's just a horrible, dumb, short-sighted plan.

At the contract he signed, Salty would have been tradable at any point. 7mil a season for a sub-30 decent hitting catcher who still has some upside? VERY tradable. What is these "can't miss" catching prospects um....miss? Then we're on to 5 backstops in 6 years, 6 in 7, and a VERY pizzed off staff who trusts nobody.

SOx top prospects coming into 2011:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html

There's some ancient saying having to do with chickens and eggs that's escaping me that would apply here...

It's foolish to say the Sox have a catching prospect who WILL take over at any point. Saying they have TWO is downright laughable. The Rangers had 2 can't miss catching prospects once upon a time too...Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden. Ruined them both, Texas did.

-end response to max-

And, geez, people love crowing when things are going their way. Everyone goes on streaks, good and bad. Shows the character of some who have to take juvenile shots because they feel I'm hiding. Take a look at my account history if you like, I haven't posted much in the past month, period. Oh, but hey, don't let a little factual evidence get in the way of your idiocy.

I fearlessly started this thread within a day of the season, I didn't wait for the Sox to get off to a horrible start, and I won't hide from it when Salty is "down" when the clowns come out of the woodwork.

If anyone cared to read what I actually wrote at the beginning...I expected Salty to start hitting well in the summer, after getting acclimated to his teammates and especially his new pitchers. He got off to a FAR better start than I anticipated, and came back to Earth. We'll see how it plays out over the season, I was careful to not pounce on AJs tough stretch...seems anti-Salty people can't control themselves.

We'll see how it plays out at the end of SEPTEMBER, not May. Will the 37 year old who players across MLB notoriously hate, or the 28 year old physical specimen who is just coming into his own have the better SEASON (and not just cherry-picked stretch)? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I genuinely like this player, and did for a few years before he got to Boston. I smile when WEEI starts to talk about him. Especially with the AJ disaster, it looks that much worse.

You called it 'the AJ disaster' on May 4.  Now you're trying to say you didn't 'pounce' on his 'tough stretch'?

Calling him a 'disaster' on May 4 isn't 'pouncing' enough?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

What I did not like about Saltalamacchia. 
    1. Not a good catcher. 
    2. Not capable of hitting good pitching. Yes everyone has trouble with good pitching. He was hopeless. 
    3. Played his worst ball at the most inopportune times. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never forgot why the Sox got Salty. Used up options, crushed his confidence, and needed the 40-man space. They've done it to more than 1 player, Chris Davis anyone?

Just a few weeks ago, there were "rumblings" that nobody liked AJ, pitchers didn't like pitching to him, and they were considering moving on from him already. Now, he's playing better, as are the Sox, so you don't hear it as much.

Beyond my liking of Salty, a LARGE part of my reasoning was Salty only got comfortable last year after taking over for VTek. Now the pitchers had to learn AJ. Next year they will have to learn ANOTHER new catcher. 4 different catchers in 5 years with Ross, the BACKUP, supposedly providing some continuity. To me, that's just a horrible, dumb, short-sighted plan.

At the contract he signed, Salty would have been tradable at any point. 7mil a season for a sub-30 decent hitting catcher who still has some upside? VERY tradable. What is these "can't miss" catching prospects um....miss? Then we're on to 5 backstops in 6 years, 6 in 7, and a VERY pizzed off staff who trusts nobody.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html

There's some ancient saying having to do with chickens and eggs that's escaping me that would apply here...

It's foolish to say the Sox have a catching prospect who WILL take over at any point. Saying they have TWO is downright laughable. The Rangers had 2 can't miss catching prospects once upon a time too...Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden. Ruined them both, Texas did.

-end response to max-

And, geez, people love crowing when things are going their way. Everyone goes on streaks, good and bad. Shows the character of some who have to take juvenile shots because they feel I'm hiding. Take a look at my account history if you like, I haven't posted much in the past month, period. Oh, but hey, don't let a little factual evidence get in the way of your idiocy.

I fearlessly started this thread within a day of the season, I didn't wait for the Sox to get off to a horrible start, and I won't hide from it when Salty is "down" when the clowns come out of the woodwork.

If anyone cared to read what I actually wrote at the beginning...I expected Salty to start hitting well in the summer, after getting acclimated to his teammates and especially his new pitchers. He got off to a FAR better start than I anticipated, and came back to Earth. We'll see how it plays out over the season, I was careful to not pounce on AJs tough stretch...seems anti-Salty people can't control themselves.

We'll see how it plays out at the end of SEPTEMBER, not May. Will the 37 year old who players across MLB notoriously hate, or the 28 year old physical specimen who is just coming into his own have the better SEASON (and not just cherry-picked stretch)? 

[/QUOTE]

Hey Captain Awkward......this 'horrible, dumb, short-sighted plan' has them tied for 5th in Runs Against in the AL (1 run out of 4th).  Pitchers are doing fine....catchers are doing fine.....you're not doing fine.  HOWEVER...Your lack of knowledge of the sport is doing fine as is your awkward long comebacks.  So hey.....I guess you have THAT to hang your hat on...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think everyone understands that prospects are not guaranteed.  But if you want to beat teams that spend as much or more than you can, you have to develop prospects.  Like everything else, you have to take reasonable risks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AJ P has now passed Salty in WAR at 1.1 to 1.0. His lead in defense of +2.0 to -1.0 is the biggest factor of the take-over.

AJ places 11th out of 30 catchers and Salty 12th.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I genuinely like this player, and did for a few years before he got to Boston. I smile when WEEI starts to talk about him. Especially with the AJ disaster, it looks that much worse.

[/QUOTE]

You called it 'the AJ disaster' on May 4.  Now you're trying to say you didn't 'pounce' on his 'tough stretch'?

Calling him a 'disaster' on May 4 isn't 'pouncing' enough?

[/QUOTE]

On May 4th, was AJ not an almost total disaster? That was an opinion based off of fact. I didn't come in here saying "Oh hahaha, where's all the Salty bashers? Haw haw haw, all hiding I guess". You really went and checked, and found ONE QUOTE to try an twist...you really ought to be working as a professional sports writer.

Even within that one quote, I was saying that while I liked Salty better from the beginning, I knew the separation only LOOKED so much worse because of Salty's hot start. People really see what they want. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think everyone understands that prospects are not guaranteed.  But if you want to beat teams that spend as much or more than you can, you have to develop prospects.  Like everything else, you have to take reasonable risks.

[/QUOTE]

You mean, like developing a catcher from 25-28 years old to then let him walk to platoon 2x 37 year olds?

8mil AJ, 10 Drew = 18. All for one season, and that number is awfully close to the Salty contract for 3 years. And the Sox were WILLING to spend 22 on that pair, and would have had Borass accepted the QO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/12/27/1898326/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2011

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610882.html

-end response to max-

[/QUOTE]

Hey Captain Awkward......this 'horrible, dumb, short-sighted plan' has them tied for 5th in Runs Against in the AL (1 run out of 4th).  Pitchers are doing fine....catchers are doing fine.....you're not doing fine.  HOWEVER...Your lack of knowledge of the sport is doing fine as is your awkward long comebacks.  So hey.....I guess you have THAT to hang your hat on...

[/QUOTE]

Hey, it's good to see your maturity hasn't improved while churning out 40 useless posts per day.

Everyone's just fine...at 2 games under .500, and almost 60 games into the season. Just awesome!

Pitching is great! Silly me! 12th in MLB in ERA and 26th in BAA is just peachy!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/sort/opponentAvg/order/false" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/sort/opponentAvg/order/false

40 posts a day and too lazy to look at the entire picture, or too arrogant to think I wouldn't also have some statistically relevant facts too.

Keep coming and taking your personal shots at me, they make you look SO good!

You've made your aversion to reading perfectly clear on multiple occasions, I'm sorry that I will not dumb it down to the level you would feel most comfortable. I know, I know, how ELSE can you pump out that many posts! If you actually had a coherent thought beyond "you're uhhh, awkwardly awkward and awkward" you could probably fit it all onto the back of a postcard...while writing in creepy large block letters that would make your own mother's skin crawl.

And finally, to debunk your worthless stat in one last way...Sox have allowed the 15th most runs in BASEBALL. In case you haven't noticed, there's interleague play every week now, the leagues aren't as divided as they used to be. Manipulate the stats all you want. Whatever makes you feel better as you pull on your red sox feet jammies, and crawl into your red sox sheeted bed as your red sox nightlight provides a warm, inviting glow reassuring you that the white=gloved ARod monster isn't crawling out from your closet tonight.

Oh, I know, you stopped reading at "(insert large word here)", and can't be bothered to read it all. How many times have you said that before then going on and arguing the entirety of my post?

I wonder, has anyone ever had anything nice to say to you on this board? Seriously, I truly question that. I know you're a troll, what is this...your 12th name? My goodness...it's sad, and bordering on neurotic.