Saltalamacchia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

Saltalamacchia

A few years back, I was watching Napoli destroy Red Sox pitching and was saying to myself ''Gee, he'd be a perfect fit in Boston.'' Then he became available, but nope. Good enough for Texas, but not good enough for Boston. (Hello, anybody home ????)
    Then last spring, I thought Russel Martin might end up here. Nope. Saltalamacchia instead. No Napoli, no Martin, any Molina would have been fine.
    What do they see in him anyway?  Am I the only one?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dublin_Sox. Show Dublin_Sox's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia

He's cheap. And his upside is way overrated a la a Bard, Buch etc. He's perfect for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

This roster is almost as over rated as the Dallas Cowboys roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Saltalamacchia:
    [QUOTE]A few years back, I was watching Napoli destroy Red Sox pitching and was saying to myself ''Gee, he'd be a perfect fit in Boston.'' Then he became available, but nope. Good enough for Texas, but not good enough for Boston. (Hello, anybody home ????) Then last spring, I thought Russel Martin might end up here. Nope. Saltalamacchia instead. No Napoli, no Martin, any Molina would have been fine. What do they see in him anyway?  Am I the only one?
    Posted by den666[/QUOTE]
    I don't know, SPC was really high on Salty last year and he's usually correct.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Season just started......Relax......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Theo loved Saltamachis for somereason. Atlanta did not and sold high on him. Think they knew something ?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]A few years back, I was watching Napoli destroy Red Sox pitching and was saying to myself ''Gee, he'd be a perfect fit in Boston.'' Then he became available, but nope. Good enough for Texas, but not good enough for Boston. (Hello, anybody home ????) Then last spring, I thought Russel Martin might end up here. Nope. Saltalamacchia instead. No Napoli, no Martin, any Molina would have been fine. What do they see in him anyway?  Am I the only one?
    Posted by den666[/QUOTE]

Although I am a big follower of CERA and CERA-related issues, I argued long and hard with harness over wanting Napoli on our team. (I had thought he could have DH'd after Papi walked and/or played 1B some as well.) I don't remember my proposed trade, but I think it involved getting Juan Rivera as well.

I was surprised Totonto got him for dumping V. Wells and his salary. I wish we could have traded CC for him.

I was also surprised that Texas got him for just Frank Francisco.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

If you all remember we tried and won the waiver claim in 2010 befor laa pulled him back

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia:
    [QUOTE]If you all remember we tried and won the waiver claim in 2010 befor laa pulled him back
    Posted by mattb5fon[/QUOTE]

I don't remember any specific offers that we made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Send the guy down to triple A and bring up Lava.  Please.  Do this right away.  When Lava is batting I'm optimistic, when Salty is up there or when I see his name in the line-up I'm thinking dead spot in the line-up . . .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Season just started......Relax......
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

What have you been watching? The team is awful. Even Ortiz sees it.
    Overated fat cats with 10 guys who should be in AAA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by den666[/QUOTE]

He did a reasonable job last year.  8 starts does not a season make.

Still, I don't know how we missed on Martin and Molina.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Saltalamacchia : He did a reasonable job last year.  8 starts does not a season make. Still, I don't know how we missed on Martin and Molina.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    I am sure you know this but the last month and half of last season Saltalmacchia was as woeful a hitter as you have ever seen.  He played on occassion before that but to think he is the catcher of the future is very hard to see.  He is not good enough in the field or behind the plate.  The curse of Theo lives in him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saltalamacchia : I am sure you know this but the last month and half of last season Saltalmacchia was as woeful a hitter as you have ever seen.  He played on occassion before that but to think he is the catcher of the future is very hard to see.  He is not good enough in the field or behind the plate.  The curse of Theo lives in him.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I commented on that in another thread.  He finished the year on a 45/2 K/W streak, which is historically bad.  I figured maybe he was worn out because he hadn't had that long a season before.  And if he were Molina type, I'd be apt to gamble on him hitting again, but he is bringing nothing with him right now.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Posted by den666[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by den666[/QUOTE]

You are seeing everything after the fact. If Sox added Napoli  and was off to slow start and Salty was with another team ripping the cover off the baseball you would cry we had a chance to get him. ? You could  say  would have could have should have with every position on team.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

TO DEN666----YOU HAVE IT SIZED UP PERFECTLY. SALTALAMACCHIA
    IS A POPUP, STRIKEOUT, OR INNING ENDING GROUNDER WAITING
    TO HAPPEN. WHAT IS HE BATTING ?? .070...WOW !!!! DO YOU
    THINK HE COULD BE PLAYING AT A YANKEE TRIPLE A TEAM. I
    DOUBT IT. I WISH WE COULD GET OUR HANDS ON CERVELLI, BUT
    OF COURSE THE YANKS DONT DEAL WITH BOSTON. ADD TO THIS
    MOTLEY CREW...SHOPPACH, FEET OF LEAD AVILES, MC DONALD,
    SPEARS, PUNTO, ROSS, AND YOU HAVE A CLUB THAT WILL BE
    LUCKY TO WIN 75 GAMES. WE HAVE NO BATS AND MEDIOCRE
    ARMS UP FRONT. EPSTEIN RUINED THIS TEAM. THE ONLY REASON
    WE WILL NOT SEE CHANGE IS THAT FENWAY PARK IS SOLD OUT
    TO SEASON TICKETHOLDERS FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE, AND
    JOHN HENRY COULDN'T CARE LESS, DESPITE HOW HE IS DEPICTED
    IN THE MOVIE, "MONEYBALL" AS AN OWNER WHO DESPERATELY
    WANTS TO WIN.. THE PEOPLE SHOULD VOTE WITH THEIR FEET.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by den666[/QUOTE]

I brought up the fact we could have had Napoli over the years but it's obvious Theo "who wanted Salty for some time" thought he was our next Tek.  Our SS and C positions have also been weak spots on the team for years and still are.  Buchholz was another one of Theo's coveted youngsters who I thought finally turned the corner and now hes struggling. 

Add a new manager guys don't respect, FA signings bogging us down, injuries and you have our present team which is a mess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Salty = Garbage

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Theo loved Saltamachis for somereason. Atlanta did not and sold high on him. Think they knew something ?
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]Al34, Theo missed big time on Salty..... Heck, the guy is 6'4 and still could not stop that high fast one yesterday that went back to the screen.......  Lavarnway is ready, let's get the next Carlton Fisk up here NOW !!!   It would have been great if he was here yesterday when Fisk was in the park !!!

Sections
Shortcuts