Saltalamachia interfered with by the ump last night?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Saltalamachia interfered with by the ump last night?

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest of the article.

From ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/26881/sox-claim-umps-interference-after-the-fact

As written, the Official Rules of Baseball can occasionally be difficult to decipher, the language convoluted and the logic difficult to follow. 

This was not one of those times. The rule is 5.09. The relevant subsection is (b). It states: 

"The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out when (b) the plate umpire interferes with the catcher's throw attempting to prevent a stolen base or retire a runner on a pick-off play; runners may not advance." 

What does all that have to do with Boston's 9-7 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays here Tuesday night? Plenty, as it turns out. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Saltalamachia interfered with by the ump last night?

We all know, that he is not a good catcher.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was all over Salty for that throw last night until I read this morning that the umpire got in the way and it should have been called a dead ball and those 2 runs would not have, and should not have counted.

Sox might just have won that game last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I was all over Salty for that throw last night until I read this morning that the umpire got in the way and it should have been called a dead ball and those 2 runs would not have, and should not have counted.

Still im not sure i would want the call to be reversed after the fact. I dont want to win that way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Still im not sure i would want the call to be reversed after the fact. I dont want to win that way.

If it should have been called during the game then. the least they can do is have a makeup game or take away the 2 runs and act like its an extra innings game. I dont like losing like this more than i would like winning if they reversed it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

If it should have been called during the game then. the least they can do is have a makeup game or take away the 2 runs and act like its an extra innings game. I dont like losing like this more than i would like winning if they reversed it.

Agreed but i doubt they will try to fit such a thing into the schedual.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah, I dont think so either. It just burns my azz that the umpire allowed it in the 1st place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Yeah, I dont think so either. It just burns my azz that the umpire allowed it in the 1st place.

The biggest mistake was having a AAA ump starting behind the plate, instead of some other position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Are you speaking for all of us now Bill?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Thank God I have him on ignore. Unfortunately I can still see his posts when others respond to him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Thank God I have him on ignore. Unfortunately I can still see his posts when others respond to him.

I'll try to avoid quoting him in the future and just respond to him as a separate post. I have ConanCreep on ignore and I can see his posts the same way you see Bill's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

The biggest mistake was having a AAA ump starting behind the plate, instead of some other position.

I agree. All 1st year umpires should not be allowed to call balls ansd strikes. I think you should have more experience with that before you get behind the plate. Umpiring in the field is much easier than calling balls and strikes. He should have known the rule and called the play dead. Just goes to show he needs more time in the minors to learn the rules.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I agree. All 1st year umpires should not be allowed to call balls ansd strikes. I think you should have more experience with that before you get behind the plate. Umpiring in the field is much easier than calling balls and strikes.

How do you get experience calling balls and strikes unless you are allowed to practice doing it? He IS a ML umpire now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

wOULD NEVER DO THAT ..... jUST STATING THE facts  !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The "fact" Bill, is that while your post said "we all know", there is room for difference of opinion about what kind of catcher Salty is. It is not a fact that he is not a good catcher; its opinion. I know you understand the difference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree. All 1st year umpires should not be allowed to call balls ansd strikes. I think you should have more experience with that before you get behind the plate. Umpiring in the field is much easier than calling balls and strikes.

How do you get experience calling balls and strikes unless you are allowed to practice doing it? He IS a ML umpire now.

Thats what Im saying. He should have more experience in MiL before doing it in MLB. I think you can be ready to umpire in the field in MLB, but to call balls and strikes I believe you need a couple more years experience which should be done in the minors. He should know the rules too. Especially the incident that happened last night. Thats kind of an obvious interference rule.

These umpires should be evaluated on a game by game basis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree. All 1st year umpires should not be allowed to call balls ansd strikes. I think you should have more experience with that before you get behind the plate. Umpiring in the field is much easier than calling balls and strikes. He should have known the rule and called the play dead. Just goes to show he needs more time in the minors to learn the rules.

I'm wondering why the chief of the umpire crew didn't say something at the time.All umpires make mistakes,like with balls and strikes,but this was a rule violation that should have been caught by at least one of the senior members of the crew.

I'm not whining about it,just wondering.And I hope it's addressed if it happens again. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I'm wondering why the crew chief of the umpire crew didn't say something at the time.All umpires make mistakes,like with balls and strikes,but this was a rule violation that should have been caught by at least one of the senior members of the crew.

I'm not whining about it,just wondering.And I hope it's addressed if it happens again. 

same here. Im not whining about it. It is what it is, but someone should have known the rule.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Thats what Im saying. He should have more experience in MiL before doing it in MLB. I think you can be ready to umpire in the field in MLB, but to call balls and strikes I believe you need a couple more years experience which should be done in the minors. He should know the rules too. Especially the incident that happened last night. Thats kind of an obvious interference rule.

These umpires should be evaluated on a game by game basis.

What I missed is that he was a callup ump from AAA for just this series. I read that elsewhere. In that case I agree: he should not have been behind the plate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

wOULD NEVER DO THAT ..... jUST STATING THE facts  !!!

It's not a fact, BILL. Many of us think he is an average or decent catcher, so saying " we all know that he is not a good catcher" is not a fact.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Peter Abraham pointed out that Salty did know about the rule on umpire interference.  Had he known, he could have challenged the call immediately and asked that other umpires be consulted.  And maybe Farrell could have intervened. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'll try to avoid quoting him in the future and just respond to him as a separate post. I have ConanCreep on ignore and I can see his posts the same way you see Bill's.

You mean ConanCreep the "Halo" vet Pumpsie?????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Peter Abraham pointed out that Salty did know about the rule on umpire interference.  Had he known, he could have challenged the call immediately and asked that other umpires be consulted.  And maybe Farrell could have intervened. 

It seems like it should be almost instinctual for a professional catcher like Salty to turn and tell the umpire"Hey,you interfered with my throw!That caused the ball to be thrown  badly"and to find out a ruling for it,if there is any. He also should have let the Sox bench know he was interfered with at the time too,so they could question it.They wouldn't get penalized for asking questions.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

First time I have read this about Salty:

"front office executive who spoke on condition of anonymity said there are those around the league who feel Salty just doesn't work hard enough on his defense since he can hit -- this wouldn't be the most surprising thing to learn, given Boston had trouble unloading him this winter when they made him available to trade. "

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/5/1/4290514/red-sox-jarrod-saltalamacchia-trade-rumors

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

First time I have read this about Salty:

"front office executive who spoke on condition of anonymity said there are those around the league who feel Salty just doesn't work hard enough on his defense since he can hit -- this wouldn't be the most surprising thing to learn, given Boston had trouble unloading him this winter when they made him available to trade. "

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/5/1/4290514/red-sox-jarrod-saltalamacchia-trade-rumors

Funny, everything I've ever read was that he worked very hard with the pitchers and with Varitek to improve his skills behind the plate. Maybe he's had a drop-off in the last year or two.