SALT:"i'm glad to have finally joined guys like MAYS+BROCK in the speed department!" thoughts? has he outpriced us?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: SALT:

1-Offer Salty a QO and see what happens.

2-If the NYY let Martin walk over $17M/2, I don't think they'll pursue Salty for ~$30M/3.

3-Grandy not a fit for us.

4-Ells not a fit for them.

5-The NYY s/h already extended Gardner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

Salty is nothing special. Give him a low QO and nab a pick for him.  Give Lavarnway a chance to start and you still have Ross as the back up.  The real Sox catcher of the future is Blake Swihart.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

2-If the NYY let Martin walk over $17M/2, I don't think they'll pursue Salty for ~$30M/3.

Let's not forget Martin had a lot of injuries, it's hard to find durable Cacthers and Salty has shown the ability and durability to stay behind the dish, that should help increase his value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to sox4life2280's comment:

Salty is nothing special. Give him a low QO and nab a pick for him.  Give Lavarnway a chance to start and you still have Ross as the back up.  The real Sox catcher of the future is Blake Swihart.

A low QO? There is only one QO to give.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree. As an example that would be as stupid, let's say, as the SOX signing Crawford when they already had Ellsbury. Only a moronic GM would do that.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that makes no sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I'D offer him 3 years at 30 mil. Like Andrew miller, salty was really given a chance by the redsox, I think because of that he might take a little less to play here a few more years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was ridiculed for suggesting we extend Salty last winter before his stock went up.

(It was one of the few things I got right.)

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I was ridiculed for suggesting we extend Salty last winter before his stock went up.

Sox4ever

I dont think he would have taken a low offer anyway with FA being 1yr away at the time. He knew what was possible with a solid season. Just him and McCann were the top catchers. His agent certainly would have been against it.

I dont think the Sox thought his stock would go through the roof if he did improve even more this year anyway. Salty made 4.5M this year. Id have no issue doubling that then x4. 3 years, then it would be around 10M per. Thats a good deal for what Salty brings to this team IMHO. I think hes just going to get better over the duration of 4 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

I dont think he would have taken a low offer anyway with FA being 1yr away at the time. He knew what was possible with a solid season. Just him and McCann were the top catchers. His agent certainly would have been against it.

I dont think the Sox thought his stock would go through the roof if he did improve even more this year anyway. Salty made 4.5M this year. Id have no issue doubling that then x4. 3 years, then it would be around 10M per. Thats a good deal for what Salty brings to this team IMHO. I think hes just going to get better over the duration of 4 years.

[/QUOTE]

I think I suggested $25M/3 with incentives.

I think he would have taken it.

I think he might get $32M/3 or $40M/4 this winter: somewhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I think I suggested $25M/3 with incentives.

I think he would have taken it.

I think he might get $32M/3 or $40M/4 this winter: somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

Im not saying he 100% wouldnt have taken it Moon, but knowing that he was a much improved catcher, just entering his prime and probably the 2nd best option on the market makes me lean towards him not accepting only 3 years. I honestly think we could see a 4yr deal and maybe even a 5th for Salty. 33 is not old for a catcher, so a 5th option is very realistic. Especially for a guy like salty, who compared to a lot of MLB catchers, doesnt have a ton of mileage for his age due to being improperly handled by Texas for a couple years.

Either way, If we dont lock Salty up for 3-4 years, I would be disappointed. Guys like Buchholz, Doubront and maybe Lester if they extend him, could all still be here by the time that deals up.

Ive heard ruiz' or McCann's name bounced around, and some just look at the numbers and dont take into consideration how they would work with the pitchers. Salty and our staff work very well together and they praise Salty all the time. Not just normal praise. They make it a point to mention how valuable he is to this team/pitching staff and how hes improved greatly as an all around everyday MLB catcher.