Salty, a value pick-up!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Salty, a value pick-up!

The MLB catcher position has an OPS of .702 (.672 A.L.) while slow starting Salty is up to .716.  He is costing $750k (+$350k in trade) while FA John Buck .675 (career .720) is costing $5m.  The players traded for Salty in McGuiness and Mendez are doing pretty well but they both have a long way to go to make it.

MiLB:             Games      OPS          
    Salty                    469     .823        
    Joe Mauer            290     .833        
    Brian McCann      308     .799            
    Alex Avila             151    .796        
    Russell Martin      392     .810        

edit:

I have posted the minor league numbers to show why Salty was so highly regarded. Baseball-ref is a good place to go for MiLB #s. He is still young and if you figure in the cost, if he is a league average catcher he is bargain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Re: Salty, a value signing!

You are probably going to get get bashed here.  But, I have always liked the signing of Salty.  I am not convinced yet that he is the long term answer.  But, given his work ethic, the fact that he has been coveted for so long by the Sox, his tools, that the Sox didn't give much to obtain him, etc. it was worth the gamble.

Now we will see if it pays off.  I hope/think that it will.  He may never be great or live up to his potential.  But, I think he should be decent enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Salty, a value pick-up!

I thought getting Saltalamacchia was a huge gamble, but knew the Sox FO had been angling for him for years.  Right now, the FO is looking pretty darn smart.  Heck, keeping Varitek looks pretty good right now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

The MLB catcher position has a an OPS of .702 (.672 A.L.) while slow starting Salty is up to .716. He is costing $750k (+$350k in trade) while FA John Buck .675 (career .720) is costing $5m. The players traded for Salty in McGuiness and Mendez are doing pretty well but they both have a long way to go to make it.

MiLB: Games OPS
    Salty 469 .823
    Joe Mauer 290 .833
    Brian McCann 308 .799
    Alex Avila 151 .796
    Russell Martin 392 .810

nice numbers where did you get them

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/saltaja01.shtml

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like he was comparing Minor league numbers..MiLB..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Acquiring Salty was not a gamble.  Anointing him as the starter was though.  I 2nd guessed that move because of his uncertainty and the importance of the C position but I've been pretty happy watching his progression this yr.  I also think he and Varitek make a good tandem.  My only fear is injury since they've both had a recent track record of them.  Not sure I want to see Mike McKenry pressed in to action.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If this C tandem keeps going in this direction, I would have the same next year.. Actually I was all for a Salty/Tek combo..It just seemed to make the most sense if they were going with salty. Who better than Tek to mentor him..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Salty has a .716 OPS at the moment, which would put him 4th in the AL if he had enough AB's to qualify. That's pretty good when you consider his miniscule salary and that he's still so young and has a ton of room to get better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Peopl ant to just look at how Salty/VTek can replace VMart's offensive numbers. There's much more to it thatn that, but look at the tam's offensive numbers by cachers the last 2 years:

2010: .793 OPS
    2009: .750 OPS

If we can get .740+ from Salty and VTek, the overall differential is minimized and the financial cost and redirection of funds could prove beneficial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up!:
    [QUOTE]Looks like he was comparing Minor league numbers..MiLB..

Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

What do you expect from a guy from the UK....this ain't cricket!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

And let's not forget that after a bad to the season people wanted to pin the woes of the pitching staff on Salty.  He was a scapegoat for his lack of hitting, his defense and his supposed inability to call a game.  Well Buch and Lester don't seem to be noticing Salty's inexperience and bad game calling these days.

I was skeptical about him as the every day catcher.  He's starting to prove a lot of us wrong.  Let's hope the upswing in his numbers continue.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

[QUOTE]And let's not forget that after a bad to the season people wanted to pin the woes of the pitching staff on Salty.  He was a scapegoat for his lack of hitting, his defense and his supposed inability to call a game.  Well Buch and Lester don't seem to be noticing Salty's inexperience and bad game calling these days. I was skeptical about him as the every day catcher.  He's starting to prove a lot of us wrong.  Let's hope the upswing in his numbers continue.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

As much as i hate to admit it because i think it's stupid, i believe the pitcher will have more confidence with one catcher they've worked with for years vs. another that just arrived. Don't know how to quantify that, though, and i think Salty was getting a very raw deal in that department.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I have posted the minor league numbers

my bad for missing that

to show why Salty was so highly regarded. Baseball-ref is a good place to go for MiLB #s. He is still young and if you figure in the cost if he is league average he is bargain.

ahhh, a bargain

were talking bargains

cool if that's what you look for in a player

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

apparently yankee fans do too since we keep hearing about the "bargain" that Gardner is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The optimist believes a rose can grow out of a pile of dung. 
    I suppose it's possible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think this shows Francona's strength as a manager. He might have played Salty too much the first week or so, but then look how he adjusted and handled the situation. Tito never quit on Salty and remained patient. He eased up Salty's playing tie and played Tek a bit more to let Salty regroup. He then eased Salty back in and got both players on a rotation that has kept them both strong.

Now here we are in the middle of May, and catching has been a solid from a defensive standpoint and has become a spot in the order that pitchers can't overlook.

I'm sure there will ups and downs moving forward, but there's a lot to be positive about in the catching situation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

[QUOTE]I think this shows Francona's strength as a manager. He might have played Salty too much the first week or so, but then look how he adjusted and handled the situation. Tito never quit on Salty and remained patient. He eased up Salty's playing tie and played Tek a bit more to let Salty regroup. He then eased Salty back in and got both players on a rotation that has kept them both strong. Now here we are in the middle of May, and catching has been a solid from a defensive standpoint and has become a spot in the order that pitchers can't overlook. I'm sure there will ups and downs moving forward, but there's a lot to be positive about in the catching situation.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

And this may very well show the strength of the front office and scouting staff who have consistently sung his praises, kept after him, and finally got him fairly cheaply.

It may also indicate that despite what we think we know about this stuff, it pales in comparison to them.  That's why we do what we do in life but they are paid to make these decisions!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]I think this shows Francona's strength as a manager. He might have played Salty too much the first week or so, but then look how he adjusted and handled the situation. Tito never quit on Salty and remained patient. He eased up Salty's playing tie and played Tek a bit more to let Salty regroup. He then eased Salty back in and got both players on a rotation that has kept them both strong. Now here we are in the middle of May, and catching has been a solid from a defensive standpoint and has become a spot in the order that pitchers can't overlook. I'm sure there will ups and downs moving forward, but there's a lot to be positive about in the catching situation.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Agreed that Francona knows when to keep plowing ahead and when to ease up with his players.  The results at first weren't pretty with Salty, but it's hard to ignore that he seems to have settled down a lot, in part due to Francona's confidence in playing the guy.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

Blah, blah, blah.

All the people claiming that patience has paid off and earlier in the season claimed it was to early to tell should heed their own advice.

Just as you claim the small sample size to start the season was no reason to get down on the guy should now realize that this small sample size of him producing is nothing to get overly excited about.

He's far from out of the woods yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Blah, blah, blah. All the people claiming that patience has paid off and earlier in the season claimed it was to early to tell should heed their own advice. Just as you claim the small sample size to start the season was no reason to get down on the guy should now realize that this small sample size of him producing is nothing to get overly excited about. He's far from out of the woods yet.
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Man is playing bad.
    Kick him while he's down.

Man is playing good.
    Discredit achievements.

Oh internet trolls!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Salty's always had the tools...the pressure to perform too expectation, sometimes can be tougher on some, than others. Suffice to say that his play of late, more so his bat, than his work behind the plate, has for now taken the postion of the critical list. Tek is what he is a solid veteren B/U, who will every now an then run into a pitch and put it in play. His knowledge of the hitters in the league and his work with the pitching staff not to mention his mentoring of Salty's is where his true value lies.

The aquistion of Salty was well worth the price we paid, given his upside and the lack of a ready for prime time catching prospect in our system and for that matter league wide. Time will tell if the kids turned the corner...My guess is that the Sox will continue to monitor the available options if they have to make a move come July...For Salty he couldn't be in a better situation, playing for a team with a solid veteren pitching staff, with an icon for a mentor and there's little pressure for him to have to be the next Joe Mauer...Basically, it's his job to lose and to prove once and for all that he's a big league catcher...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

[QUOTE]I have posted the minor league numbers   my bad for missing that to show why Salty was so highly regarded. Baseball-ref is a good place to go for MiLB #s. He is still young and if you figure in the cost if he is league average he is bargain. ahhh, a bargain were talking bargains cool if that's what you look for in a player
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Hillarious picture!  Unfortunately, it's appropriate.  Minor league numbers are looked at until a player has major league numbers to go on.  Anyway, any numbers that favorably compare Salty's offensive production with that of the best producers in the league must be faulty (you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows. - Bob Dillon)  Still, I support the idea.  The Sox catching is performing adequately.  For catchers the most important stat should be wins.  The Red Sox are winning with these catchers, so keep them.  If we need more production on offense add Adrian Gonzolez and Carl Crawford - check.  Hey, did you know Andrew Jones is on your squad?  I thought he was retired.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up! : Man is playing bad. Kick him while he's down. Man is playing good. Discredit achievements. Oh internet trolls!
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Salty seems to have gained some confidence by playing, and Francona didn't pull the plug too early.  Gee, let's not give the guy any credit for learning on the job when the full time catching duties were basically thrown in his lap.

It's a long season made even longer by trolls who basically don't have to make any sense with their posts to be effective.  As you say, easy to kick him while he's down and play the other side of the coin -- sample size -- when he's doing better.     

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Great post, as it makes it perfectly clear that Salty is just as good as Mauer. The sample size differences are meaningless, and a catcher doesn't have any defensive requirements, at all.

Lowrie, who is tired today, is an elite MLB SS and Salty is in the same league with Mauer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No way do I think Salty is as good as Mauer, but so far, so good.

The Babe has a point, but I'm guessing it's mostly sour grapes.  He's now just hoping that Salty goes bad.  Right now, it's hard to see that happening, but it is just May. 

Sections
Shortcuts