Salty, a value pick-up!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Re: Salty, a value pick-up!

In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up!:
    [QUOTE]Blah, blah, blah. All the people claiming that patience has paid off and earlier in the season claimed it was to early to tell should heed their own advice. Just as you claim the small sample size to start the season was no reason to get down on the guy should now realize that this small sample size of him producing is nothing to get overly excited about. He's far from out of the woods yet.
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Actually, troll or not, he has a point. We should be careful not to assume that our catching is now set to go.

HOWEVER, as of just a couple of weeks ago, it looked like Boston's catching situation might be a black hole, and people were actually gunning for (in my opinion) a useless Bengie Molina to "fill it in". What we've seen recently shows that there is solid potential that Salty will be a solid starting catcher, so now we can sit back and see if it works out that way.

It's worth noting that throughout Salty's major league career, he's either been jerked around (and not given a chance to figure things out at the major league level) or, whenever a team was ready to give him such a chance, he'd get hurt. Perhaps all he's ever needed was a little health luck and a team that believes in him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Great post, as it makes it perfectly clear that Salty is just as good as Mauer. The sample size differences are meaningless, and a catcher doesn't have any defensive requirements, at all. Lowrie, who is tired today, is an elite MLB SS and Salty is in the same league with Mauer.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]
    You're arrogance making it so, in your own words, "you lack basic reading comprehension, there isn't much you can get straight." The first post was clearly to show why Salty was considered such a highly touted prospect, and why he will even if he doesn't put it together, get a plethora of chances with teams to have his tools come together into a more than servicable catcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up! : Man is playing bad. Kick him while he's down. Man is playing good. Discredit achievements. Oh internet trolls!

Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with being a troll you nimwit.

Are we supposed to forget all about his career numbers because he's been on a 5 or 10 game hot streak?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Yes, it is about being a troll.

This topic is about the value of getting Salty, not whether or not he's yet proven himself as a great major league catcher. He has yet to put up the consistency to say he's great. But this year, the sox gave up little for him, his numbers have been average for a major league catcher this year, he's been a highly touted prospect, right now the pickup was a good value. Period.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up! : Has nothing to do with being a troll you nimwit. Are we supposed to forget all about his career numbers because he's been on a 5 or 10 game hot streak?
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]

I think if Andrew Brackman (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t531&t=p_pbp&pid=457581) is the #78 prospect in all of baseball, and is getting annihilated at AAA, it's not too late to hope Salty, who is 7 months older, will improve on his slightly below average (for his position) MLB stats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

When you read Babemoron’s posts, you’d think Salty is some 31yo who’s had multiple full years of experience. What the moron doesn’t realize is that Salty has just turned 26 and his career numbers are made of only 240 games prior to joining the Sox, not even 2 full years worth of games.

and love the Brackman link. Dude's a BUST.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings lightningbrain

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up! : Hillarious picture!  Unfortunately, it's appropriate.  Minor league numbers are looked at until a player has major league numbers to go on.  Anyway, any numbers that favorably compare Salty's offensive production with that of the best producers in the league must be faulty (you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows. - Bob Dillon)  Still, I support the idea.  The Sox catching is performing adequately.  For catchers the most important stat should be wins.  The Red Sox are winning with these catchers, so keep them.  If we need more production on offense add Adrian Gonzolez and Carl Crawford - check.  Hey, did you know Andrew Jones is on your squad?  I thought he was retired.
    Posted by lightningbrain[/QUOTE]

nice post, all is good in RSN

BTW yesterday was dylan's 70th Bday

and jones went yard twice to celebrate it ;-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wadeandrson. Show wadeandrson's posts

Great post. Anyone who has played competitive sports knows that nerves and self pressure can take over sometimes when givin a great opportunity. It sometimes takes a player a little while to settle down and begin to show his true ability. The minor league stats show the potential of an above average catcher at the major leagues and now that Salty is settled we are seeing that potential come to fruition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, a value pick-up! : Has nothing to do with being a troll you nimwit. Are we supposed to forget all about his career numbers because he's been on a 5 or 10 game hot streak?
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]You have point but that is what fans do in forums like this. Somebody was arguing yesterday that Colon as a number two starter matched favorably to Beckett and except at the Coney island Hot Dog eating contest that just isn't likely.

But Babe you also point to his career stats as though they are awful. He hasn't lived up to his career expectations yet Salty's career OPS lands him right in the middle of the pack for catchers, which is where he is this year (18 out of 40 in MLB). If the NYY can live with the second lowest OPS in the Al out of all DHs, the RS will live with a middle of the pack OPS at C.

The premise here I believe is that the kid is proving to be able to hold the position at an acceptable level right now and he still has a higher ceiling. Whether that is obtained or not at $0.75M he is a decent value.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't limit value to $$$. I measure it in total skill-set to team value. Whether Salty is an asset or a liability is to be determined. What holds true is the patience required for the demands of the catching position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I don't limit value to $$$. I measure it in total skill-set to team value. Whether Salty is an asset or a liability is to be determined. What holds true is the patience required for the demands of the catching position.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]Well Harness that is pretty hard to argue with. But money does matter when you are a hick-up from paying CBT. Some of the positions on the team need to be held down by young guys under team control where the cost is reduced.

As long as the kid is neutral in his impact he is a good value IMHO. It is a whole different argument if more should have been invested in C and less elsewhere the way I look at it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I didn't say $$$ didn't matter, Katz. I said I don't limit value to $$$.
    If  Salty is neutral as an asset/liability, then he's more than validated his cost.

OTOH, if he goes down to injury, and the team is forced to attain another Kevin Cash, the cost again would be minimal, but the cost for his anemic bat can be telling.

At the same time, if this Cash clone gets out of the pitching staff what Cash did, then he's an asset regardless.

Got to remember, Salty is catching Buch/Lester. His numbers with the others are not at all good. The Pen especially. Lackey was pitching hurt, so that has to be considered. If Salty is to be designated the true FT catcher, he has to show he can get enough of Josh and Dice and Aceves and...as Tek has been shown to do.

I'm not saying the numbers need to equal out, but they need to improve. And to stave off a CERA argument, I'm also considering poor pitching form for guys like Jenks, Wheeler and any possible lack of early-season form by the others.
    I'm not making any determinations at this point as there are still too many variables to consider. And I know how you feel about a catcher's relevance.

But when you mentioned Salty as neutral, that encompasses more than his OPS;  much, much more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

saltalamachia will continue to impress with the more ABs he gets.

he is young, has power and is going to keep getting better.

pretty soon he is going to catch all the games except for when beckett throws and varitek will be the full fledged back up catcher so that he can still be effective as e gets more rest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't say $$$ didn't matter, Katz . I said I don't limit value to $$$. If   Salty is neutral as an asset/liability, then he's more than validated his cost. OTOH, if he goes down to injury, and the team is forced to attain another Kevin Cash, the cost again would be minimal, but the cost for his anemic bat can be telling. At the same time, if this Cash clone gets out of the pitching staff what Cash did, then he's an asset regardless. Got to remember, Salty is catching Buch/Lester. His numbers with the others are not at all good. The Pen especially. Lackey was pitching hurt, so that has to be considered. If Salty is to be designated the true FT catcher, he has to show he can get enough of Josh and Dice and Aceves and...as Tek has been shown to do. I'm not saying the numbers need to equal out, but they need to improve. And to stave off a CERA argument, I'm also considering poor pitching form for guys like Jenks, Wheeler and any possible lack of early-season form by the others. I'm not making any determinations at this point as there are still too many variables to consider. And I know how you feel about a catcher's relevance. But when you mentioned Salty as neutral , that encompasses more than his OPS;  much, much more.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

It's still my opinion that pitchers make the pitches.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pitchmen also make pitches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

It is my opinion that Felix would throw better with VMart than with Varitick. Buch would agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

What do you expect from a guy from the UK....this ain't cricket! -- Baby
    -------------------------------------------

It's amazing to me that you can just constantly insult fans here, and posters still talk to you. And this wasn't even the only abusive post you made in this thread. You must just laugh yourself sick the 24 hours a day you spend here trolling the board.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

In Response to Salty, a value pick-up!:
    [QUOTE]The MLB catcher position has an OPS of .702 (.672 A.L.) while slow starting Salty is up to .716.  He is costing $750k (+$350k in trade) while FA John Buck .675 (career .720) is costing $5m.  The players traded for Salty in McGuiness and Mendez are doing pretty well but they both have a long way to go to make it.   M i LB:             Games      OPS            Salty                    469     .823         Joe Mauer            290     .833         Brian McCann      308     .799             Alex Avila             151    .796         Russell Martin      392     .810         edit: I have posted the minor league numbers to show why Salty was so highly regarded. Baseball-ref is a good place to go for MiLB #s. He is still young and if you figure in the cost, if he is a league average catcher he is bargain.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

He is comig around, the sox were high on him for awile way back when he was in his first few seasons in texas.. rumors he was gonna be in boston then, glad we have him

Sections
Shortcuts