Salty experiment--how long?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from haste. Show haste's posts

Salty experiment--how long?

Atlanta and Texas gave up on Salty--Did Theo see something that they overlooked?  He's scary behind the plate--maybe a switch hitting DH or a high priced bullpen job would fit him better!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Salty experiment--how long?

We've endured the Obama experiment for over two years, I suppose we can wait a bit longer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why do you have to bring politics into it?  If you want to talk politics go to the Political threads.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

What's the alternative?

Tek can't catch every day and even if he did, there would be a multitude of threads about how bad he is.

I was looking at ESPNs website that had stats by position.  The number of catchers that have decent batting average is unbelievably low.  Salty is in the middle of the pack.

A good htiting catcher won't stay a catcher.  There's no incentive.  A first basemen hitting 25 dingers makes a lot more than a catcher hitting 18 dingers and if a guy can hit 18 dingers as a catcher, then he's got a good shot at hitting 25 if he doesn't have to catch.

It is what it is.  The Sox don't need Salty to hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Yea, let's give up on him after 1 month into the season. Sounds like a smart plan.

Not saying he will become all that and a bag of chips, but it's not like there are 100 catchers out there who'd be 10x better. Matter of fact, Salty is probably our best bet this season and until one of Lavarnway/Federowicz start knocking on the door.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Keep Salty, keep VTek, look like crazy for VTeks replacment next year.  Salty becomes the backup.  Nothing out there now ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from haste. Show haste's posts

In Response to Re: Salty experiment--how long?:
    What's the alternative? Tek can't catch every day and even if he did, there would be a multitude of threads about how bad he is. I was looking at ESPNs website that had stats by position.  The number of catchers that have decent batting average is unbelievably low.  Salty is in the middle of the pack. A good htiting catcher won't stay a catcher.  There's no incentive.  A first basemen hitting 25 dingers makes a lot more than a catcher hitting 18 dingers and if a guy can hit 18 dingers as a catcher, then he's got a good shot at hitting 25 if he doesn't have to catch. It is what it is.  The Sox don't need Salty to hit.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from haste. Show haste's posts

Dirty--  I didn't mention his bat--I said he looks bad behind the plate--stopping balls and throwing out runners!!  The catcher is the heart of the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

A good htiting catcher won't stay a catcher. There's no incentive. A first basemen hitting 25 dingers makes a lot more than a catcher hitting 18 dingers and if a guy can hit 18 dingers as a catcher, then he's got a good shot at hitting 25 if he doesn't have to catch. It is what it is. The Sox don't need Salty to hit.

that makes sense

the question is

do you want one of your better hitters to catch

looking at mauer while thinking about montero

at best they need more days off

their bodies take a beating daily

Tek can't catch every day

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

We stay with him until his cERA is lower than Varitek's, so we can finally put to rest the notion that the staff is going to stink if we ever lose our 39-year old captain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Why do you have to bring politics into it?  If you want to talk politics go to the Political threads.

Levity is good for the forum once in a while......lighten up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to Re: Salty experiment--how long? : Levity is good for the forum once in a while......lighten up.
    Posted by Alibiike

I agree, so long as I can say, "Thank God the 8 year disaster that was Alfred E. Newman's long lost brother is over."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Salty experiment--how long? : Levity is good for the forum once in a while......lighten up.
    Posted by Alibiike

Maybe the problem is your sense of humor or lack there of ..... smarten up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Salty experiment--how long? : Maybe the problem is your sense of humor or lack there of ..... smarten up.

Thereof is one word.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Mid-May, maybe later.

Relax.

We can always trade for Ryan Doumit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

agreed summer. with tek pitching more than expected, they'll try to ease salty in rather than baptism by fire. the front office will never admit it, but i'm sure they're shopping around for an alternative behind the plate

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The Salty experiment will continue until one of Salty/Tek lands on the DL and a replacement has a chance to take the job.  Right now, I'm thinking McKenry (strong defensive catcher with a good arm) should get the first shot if the Sox stay in house.  I can't see a deal for Doumit, as he's even worse defensively than Salty.  Exposito is also a likely internal candidate given his presence on the 40 man roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

The Saltalamacchia experiment will continue until the 39 year old Varitek is exhausted from overwork, or Theo gets lucky and finds another catcher  .......... whichever comes first.
    Not so sure AAA can provide a serviceable catcher until May or June.

Sections
Shortcuts