Salty is absolutely killing our WS chances!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Salty is absolutely killing our WS chances!

In response to tvfrank's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

You guys are armchairing this to death.

1) There was a play at 3B. Throwing the ball there was not a poor decision.

2) The bad throw can be criticized, but not the choice to throw it.

3) The throw was not bad enough for Middy not to be able to catch it.

4) It looked like Middy was trying to hard to keep his position to make the tag than to make sure he caught it. Translation: it should have been caught.

5) Had the ump got the call right, Salty's choice to throw the ball should have indirectly led to the final out of the inning.

6) Salty made a great play to catch the throw and make the tag that ended up not mattering due to the poor call.

Blaming Salty or giving him the lion's share of the balme is just plain blindness.

It is not blindness to most. Salty is one of your favorites. Nothing wrong with that. You always point out his strengths and downplay his weaknesses. Obviously, you have a higher opinion of him than many other observers do. The fact is that he is playing very poorly in the post season. There is no way to deny that if you really want to be objective. I would not put the lion's share of the blame on his shoulders by any means. But he is not playing well at all, like it or not. That is simply the truth. 

The alternative is Ross. That's the simple truth.

I never downplay Salty's bad arm. Unfortunately, it has come into play twice at the wrong time of the game (actually one was him losing a grip before even getting to throw).

He's gotten on base in 9 of 34 PAs this post season. No, that is not great, but it is better than many other starters on this team.

Salty is struggling, but Ross will likely not do any better, and I'd still bet on Salty doing better over the next 2-4 games than Ross.

You and Farrell appear to think the same way. That is not a compliment.

You don't think at all.  That's what it is.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

4) It looked like Middy was trying to hard to keep his position to make the tag than to make sure he caught it. Translation: it should have been caught.

5) Had the ump got the call right, Salty's choice to throw the ball should have indirectly led to the final out of the inning.

6) Salty made a great play to catch the throw and make the tag that ended up not mattering due to the poor call.

Blaming Salty or giving him the lion's share of the balme is just plain blindness.

It is not blindness to most. Salty is one of your favorites. Nothing wrong with that. You always point out his strengths and downplay his weaknesses. Obviously, you have a higher opinion of him than many other observers do. The fact is that he is playing very poorly in the post season. There is no way to deny that if you really want to be objective. I would not put the lion's share of the blame on his shoulders by any means. But he is not playing well at all, like it or not. That is simply the truth. 

I never downplay Salty's bad arm. Unfortunately, it has come into play twice at the wrong time of the game (actually one was him losing a grip before even getting to throw).

He's gotten on base in 9 of 34 PAs this post season. No, that is not great, but it is better than many other starters on this team.

Salty is struggling, but Ross will likely not do any better, and I'd still bet on Salty doing better over the next 2-4 games than Ross.

Not really.

I wanted Nava starting aginst almost every RH'd starting pitcher.

I thought Napoli should have PH for Workman.

I'd have started Salty with Lester too.

I'd have left Drew in the game for late inning defense.

Thanks for the noncompliment.

I hope John does not bench a top 10 MLB catcher for a career back-up based on one throw that should have been caught anyways, but I'm not sure how he will react.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

You don't think at all.  That's what it is.  

Farrell is going to 'manage' the SOX into losing this WS. I will be very aggrieved when this happens. But knowing that it will ruin your day will make my aggrievement more bearable.  You are an annoyance, sheriff rojas; much like your fellow slug, joe briedy.

Comparing me to Joe Briedy is a compliment.  Thank you.  It's also my pleasure to annoy you too.  Anytime.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox are going to win this series.

The guys everyone has been bashing will come through when it counts.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

And, you will ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

It's "how" we lost the game, not "why."  

The "why" comes down to series of events that unfolded from the 1st pitch.  Peavy put them in an 2-0 hole to start the game.  And then had to be yanked after 4.  Tazawa coughed up 1 colossally costly hit after the suddenly Breslow looks shaky as heck. The Cards were 4 for 15 with RISPs and 12 hits.

Put it this way: Salty is NOT going to make that throw again. So, benching him for something he's NOT going to do makes no sense unless he's in his head about 2 games in a row of bumbling and then starts flailing away uselessly in his ABs

Nope, Game 4 is an elimination game.  The offense MUST put up crooked numbers early. 

The pitching situation is a big unknown tomorrow and Buchholz must be on a short leash.'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

If you watch hockey, you'll notice that the coach plays the best offensive players when the situations calls for it (ie: power play) and the best defensive players when situations call for it (ie: killing power play). Ross is the best defensive catcher, so he's got to be there when the game's on the line. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY A THROW IS MADE TO THIRD WHEN IT WOULD BE SO CLOSE AT BEST. YOU ALREADY HAVE THE GUY OUT AT HOME. NO RUNS SCORED.

B I N G O , THAT !!!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to soups' comment:

Bottom line is, if Salty doesn't make that throw there is no alleged obstruction. 

And that is the truth right there. Terrible baseball instincts by Salty in both games 2 or 3. He needed to eat that ball. Take the out at home and let Koji deal with the next batter. Salty is the one who put Middlebrooks in that position with a late, offline throw. Does anyone here think Molina would have thrown that ball? I don't. The entire play was a monster of Salty's making. Dumb, dumb play.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

After resisting to post right after the game, rather choosing to let the emotions simmer down, This is how I see things...Basically, there is plenty of "blame" to go around here. To blame a game or series on one player is ridiculous.

Pulling Drew that early was a mistake IMHO. Maybe in the 9th inning. His defense was obviously missed with 3 plays on the left side that should have been made. So the Xander at SS and Middy at 3b failed last night when it was needed most. That experiment should be OVER.

I figured Doubront would hit and give us another inning. He was doing great and it was early enough in the game.

Workman should have NEVER batted there. It was an auto-out in the 9th inning. Youn  never give away an out in that situation unless hes bunting to move someone over. Bad move IMO.

Tazawa should never come in with runners on. Sorry, hes just not good at holding inherrited runners. I know Farrell has who he has out there, but if he can avoid that situation he should.

I have no issue with Salty throwing that ball. I have an issue with the accuracy of the throw, which has been an issue with him. Middy could have, and should have had that ball. It tipped off his glove then Craig. Those that complained about Salty not catching last nights ball should be just as mad with a ball that was much more easy to get to that Middy failed to get to. I also have no issue with Ross splitting games with Salty the rest of the way, starting with Ross in there tonight.

Nava should remain the starting LF'er.

I think Farrell was playing for tomorrow night with pitchers, which I understand to a point. To me, there were some questionable moves and defensive plays that contributed to the loss.

The obstruction call was a joke. Joyce seems to have a knack for deciding a game himself rather than letting the players do it. Im sorry, but Middy tried to get out of the way and when Craig started to run home, his first steps were towards the pitchers mound, not the open base path. His first step after pushing Middy back to the ground was on the grass on the inside of the base path. The rules are very vague and can be inturpreted differently. It should be more cut and dry on a play like that. The base path was open and the runner chose to take the path he did. I know the letter of the law says its obstruction, but the letter is not defined clearly and favors the runner 100%.

tough pill to swallow losing like that. This will be the biggest test for these guys to see if they can put all this behind them and take game 4. We only have to win one to guarentee the series will end in Boston. Tonight is 100% a MUST WIN.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Moon,

I grant you most of this.  In fact, I was a huge Salty backer in the regular season.  His batting numbers were actually excellent for a catcher, with a very good OPS.  Plenty of RBI's & a decent avg. if memory serves me, cerca .265 (not bad at all)  Circa 12 - 15 HR's.  Wish I could remember, I'll check.

As for the post season?  You are absolutely correct that it's not just Salty suchking at the plate.  It's most of the team.  BUT!  In this particular game, there is absolutely no good reason not to sub him with Ross late in the game.  He looked horrible, & it was time to be strong up the middle.  I understand subbing Middy at 3rd, as we needed a spark.  I do not understand NOT SUBBING for Workman at the plate in the 8th!  We NEEDED a run!  My bad call subbing Middy cost us 2 huge runs.  I own that.  Middy is a stiff at 3rd way too often, & he's back to looking like a rookie at the plate. 

Back to Salty.  He absolutely should have been pulled for Ross all the way back to the 6th or 7th when it became clear that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  Again!  I was good with him in the regular season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

And Carrot Top laughs at his hair.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 10h

Based on this screen shot, #RedSox did have a play at third base and Salty made an accurate throw

Embedded image permalink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moon - Whether Ross does better or not is irrelevant. Farrell isn't blind. Ross will be in there tonight and he surely will catch Lester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Sox are going to win this series.

The guys everyone has been bashing will come through when it counts.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

And, you will ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"

Moon Byrne

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 10h

Based on this screen shot, #RedSox did have a play at third base and Salty made an accurate throw

Embedded image permalink

This is a good point that I wanted to make.  I don't think the throw was all that bad.  Middy SHOULD HAVE made the catch.  2 HUGE, should have been errors if he even got near the ball which he should have, that absolutely cost us the game.  The shot under his glove was simply a god aweful attempt.  I said it early on & all through the year......   The kid is a marginal 3rd baseman AT BEST! 

Knowing this, Salty never should have made that throw, as he didn't have much of a chance, & given the risks it was not even close to being worth it.  Very similar to Breslow's throw.  Way too risky given the situation.  Trying to do too much.  This should be the theme of this WS for the Sox.  Everybody is trying to do too much at the plate, given the guys they are facing.  St. Louis pitching has been undersold, & guys MUST shorten up & get on base.  Remember they are a team, & trust the guys behind you.

Moon & others are absolutely right in that it's not ONE GUY (i.e. Salty) who is generally killing us in this WS.  It's the whole damn batting order, save Papi & Pedey.  Given Middy's lack of poise, we're going to have to save him for a desperation at bat late in a game.  Drew needs to stay at short, & Boggy stays at 3rd.  Salty is killing us up the middle though.  He simply can't throw to save his life, & pitchers are not doing enough to limit the lead / jump.  I like Salty as the late innings desperation at bat  PH  also.  Right now, I simply have more confidence in Ross.  Love all Salty has done for us this year, & I'm not taking that away, but it's time for a switch!

Moon is also correct in his prediction that many of these guys are going to step up & get it done in the end.  We do need to be patient, but there were too many questionable moves at the end.  Not DH'ing Workman in the 8th was simply inexplicable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.   Unless the Sox are planning to make him into a 1st baseman, it that's even possible given his poor fielding, they may well want to think about dealing him.  I would send him down for a year & have him play 1st to see if he can be salvaged.  Lot of up side with that prospect, but 3rd is not a good option with this kid.  Unless he puts in a Wade Boggs type effort, he will never be the type of 3rd baseman we need.  I'm not convinced the kid has the fire to do this????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Could Middlebrooks be our next Daniel Bard?

Not sure. Its a toss up right now between him and breslow.

Breslow wasn't that bad tonight.  A check swing IF hit and a ball that grazes Beltran's armor. 

Plus Breslow wouldn't be the next Bard because Breslow is a veteran.

And veterans never let mistakes get in their heads?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Saltalamacchia has lapsed back into trying to hit 460 foot 5 run homers again.  This is, unfortunately for him and the Sox, a bad habit that he has at the plate.

With this being a big part of his failure as a hitter, I am disappointed that he and his hitting coach allow this to get as deep as it does before making some adjustments.

All they have to do is watch video from the center field camera to see that he is pulling his head off pitch after pitch after pitch.

What happened to their plan of "hitting it up the middle" because this helps the head/eyes still?  Keeping the eyes still gives better contact and cuts down greatly on strikeouts even if it does take something away from being able to hit as many home runs.

Actually, not sure why hitting the ball "up the middle" is not stress for all of the Sox hitters.  Ortiz, Pedroia and Nava are about the only three guys that seem to be able to do this with much consistency.  What a shock that these three guys are the team's best hitters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Salty has turned Sour.

Just like in the business world sometimes the people that get you to a certain point of success are not the same people you need when the competition gets tougher.

He contributed to the Game 2 loss too.   Do they double-steal against Ross with Beltran on the back end?   Ross certainly would have caught the throw from Gomes, so the throwaway by Breslow would not have happened.

Then there is the swinging for the fences from your shoes on every pitch against flamethrowers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm fine with making defensive substitutions late in the game, but with a catcher it is risky. If Ross gets hurt, we are stuck.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts