Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?

The guy can hit, his defense is vastly improved. Starting to consistently throw out runners. Looks like a master stroke by Theo. We were all screaming for Martin when he got off to the hot start and look at him now. 

Taking his age and contract into account is there a catcher out there you'd rather have right now? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?

Do you get coupons for Jordan's furniture for starting threads?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

He's looking like a future all star

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : No i get sky miles on your mom for every cretins response by you 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

Your dog is cute and adorable. Sorry to insult you on your opening post about Saltalamachia being the best in the league. Might it be premature or an overstatement at this time? You might want to mix in some veggies with your dog's food.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

In Response to Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?:
    [QUOTE]The guy can hit, his defense is vastly improved. Starting to consistently throw out runners. Looks like a master stroke by Theo.  We were all screaming for Martin when he got off to the hot start and look at him now.    Taking his age and contract into account is there a catcher out there you'd rather have right now? 

Assuming you are only talking about the AL,  I'll take Wieters in Baltimore and despite the fact that his average is down this year, Santana in Cleveland.  Detroit fans would argue for Avila as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : Your dog is cute and adorable. Sorry to insult you on your opening post about Saltalamachia being the best in the league. Might it be premature or an overstatement at this time? You might want to mix in some veggies with your dog's food.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

sorry man, should have wrote that. But i said young catcher so i dont think thats over reacting. Hes only 26.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

9 game hitting streak going for Salty

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

Home  run for Salty!  Can I change my vote?Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

he really is on fire right now with the bat and throwing out runners. this year with Tek is going to really stand to him going forward. who thought we'd get this production from the catcher position between them both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Three younger catchers -- Alex Avila, Carlos Santana and Matt Wieters -- are ranked ahead of Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the 2011 WAR* rankings of American League catchers:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=n&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

Avila and Wieters were All Star selections this year.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Now that Salty is comfortable and his confidence is up, he is turning into a real nice surprise, fulfilling all the hope that was laid on him as a prospect in the minors.  I have no complaints, even if Weiters, Avila and Santana are ranked higher by WAR* rankings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

WAR is cumulative, so if Salty's averages stayed the same, and his PAs increased by 100 - 150, his WAR would probably surpass Avila.

With today's performance, he has a higher OPS than VMart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The biggest problem with comparing WAR of Salty to WAR of other catchers is that Salty has played 30 less games than some, and therefore has accrued less wins. However that does have one thing to say about Salty, he needs to prove that he can be an everyday player instead of platoon with a vet before we can consider him one of the best young catchers.

Translation: Ask this again next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Three younger catchers -- Alex Avila, Carlos Santana and Matt Wieters -- are ranked ahead of Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the 2011 WAR* rankings of American League catchers: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=n&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0 Avila and Wieters were All Star selections this year. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

A lot of those catchers have 150-200 more PA than Salty, because Varitek is less than a back up and more splitting time with Salty.  Salty's numbers including WAR I would think would be a little higher if he had played in 90%of the games as opposed to 60%

The only thing I see those guys doing that Salty isn't...is walking more.  

For what it's worth since the all star break Salty is hitting .326/.370/.674 with a 1.044 OPS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?:
    [QUOTE]The guy can hit, his defense is vastly improved. Starting to consistently throw out runners. Looks like a master stroke by Theo.  We were all screaming for Martin when he got off to the hot start and look at him now.    Taking his age and contract into account is there a catcher out there you'd rather have right now? 

Salty was one of the "hype" victims, as a result he was brought to the majors before he fully developed.  Salty also never had an organization, or catcher like Jason to take him under their wing.  After bouncing around the league never really knowing whether he was coming or going, he has finally arrived in Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

One thing to remember here is Salty is catching Tim Wakefields knuckle ball in probably 25%-35% of his outings. So his defensive numbers are hugely effected by that in terms of passed balls, throwing out runners. Remember when we had Tek catching wakefiled and that other guy Bard who was a total disaster and had 10 passed balls in 5 games! That resulted in Mirrabelli being helicoptered in to catch Wakefield!

Id take Salty over anyone out there. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]One thing to remember here is Salty is catching Tim Wakefields knuckle ball in probably 25%-35% of his outings. So his defensive numbers are hugely effected by that in terms of passed balls, throwing out runners. Remember when we had Tek catching wakefiled and that other guy Bard who was a total disaster and had 10 passed balls in 5 games! That resulted in Mirrabelli being helicoptered in to catch Wakefield! Id take Salty over anyone out there. 

So his defensive numbers are hugely effected by that in terms of passed balls

I understand many in the nation agree with you

but I'm not buying it

if it's the pitchers fault they call it a wild pitch

not  a passed ball

as far as the thread goes

why not say ' one of  the best'

or  ' the hottest '

but it's only been a couple of months

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : So his defensive numbers are hugely effected by that in terms of passed balls I understand many in the nation agree with you but I'm not buying it if it's the pitchers fault they call it a wild pitch not  a passed ball as far as the thread goes why not say ' one of  the best' or  ' the hottest ' but it's only been a couple of months
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]
    True, but some pitches are more difficult to catch making a pass ball more likely, or are you going to say that a curveball is just as likely to have a pass ball as a fastball? The nature of the knuckler makes it difficult to catch and a catcher catching all knucklers will probably have more pass balls than a catcher catching all fastballs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

JP Arencibia(sp?) is going to be a great young catcher as well. The Salty Dog had improved a lot over the course of the season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I am very pleased with how Salty has progressed this season.  Kudos to Theo for snatching him up for virtually nothing, and kudos to Salty for the very professional approach and great work ethic he has had since being here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : True, but some pitches are more difficult to catch making a pass ball more likely, or are you going to say that a curveball is just as likely to have a pass ball as a fastball? The nature of the knuckler makes it difficult to catch and a catcher catching all knucklers will probably have more pass balls than a catcher catching all fastballs.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I have  no idea if a spilt finger in the dirt is harder to catch than a knuckler

but I know i'm taking the official scorers opinion over others here

when ever it supports my point ;-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

Taking his age and contract into account is there a catcher out there you'd rather have right now? 

JOE MAUER. Born 1983 to J.S's 1983...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

** sorry, 1985 to 1983

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : I have  no idea if a spilt finger in the dirt is harder to catch than a knuckler but I know i'm taking the official scorers opinion over others here when ever it supports my point ;-)

I realize that the official scorer's opinion often supports your point, but hitorically, guys that catch knuckleballers over the years have an abnormally high rate of passed balls.  For example, a quick look at the guys who caught Phil Neikro and Wilbur Wood shows that they lead the league in passed balls regularly.  In fact, despite being a platoon player, Ed Herman who caught Wilbur Wood led the league in passed balls for 4 of 5 years from '69-'73 (there are similar examples with other knuckleball pitchers).  I don't think it is to far of a leap to state that Salty's stats are hurt by catching Wakefield both from a PB standpoint and throwing out runners.

I caught a little high school (emergency catcher only), some in men's fastpitch softball, and I still catch my daughter who pitches in high school and travel softball and I've never caught a knuckleball, but I would assume a split finger in the dirt is harder to catch than a knuckleball, but that split finger in the dirt will likely be scored as a wild pitch (at least that was always my hope as a catcher Smile).  Every good knuckleball appears to be an adventure.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : I have  no idea if a spilt finger in the dirt is harder to catch than a knuckler but I know i'm taking the official scorers opinion over others here when ever it supports my point ;-)

The difference is you know where the split finger is going.  With a knuckle-ball, nobody knows where it's going to break. It's like being crossed up on every pitch - any time there is a cross-up, it goes down as a PB, because it's a catchable ball.  It's not fair, but what's the alternative if you're an official scorer?  Are you going to call a ball thrown right down the middle of the plate a wild pitch?