Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?

In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : I have  no idea if a spilt finger in the dirt is harder to catch than a knuckler but I know i'm taking the official scorers opinion over others here when ever it supports my point ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

A split finger in the dirt is not a ball that you try to catch, rather block...The knuckleball is the single hardest ball "to catch" becasue the catcher, like the hitter has no way of knowing when it'll dart left or right and has to allow the ball to come to him vs reaching out to catch it in the web like any other traditional pitch...

To quote a former big league catcher on the best way to catch a knuckleball "the infamous Bob Uecker" tongue in check say "is to wait until it stops rolling then go pick it up!"...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Any objective observer has got to be impressed with Salty's development this year. He way definitely overhyped as a younger player, but we all should keep in mind that Tek was 27 when he had his first decent year in the majors, and the similarities between these two guys are there. I remember Theo saying this when they got Salty....and he seems to have been right on, and it is due to 3 things....Salty has alot of Raw talent(especially offensively) and that is why he was overhyped, b) he has by all accounts worked his butt off in all aspects of his game and c) Tek has been the perfect compliment...a veteran who plays the game right, is willing to share his knowledge and someone who Salty can see himself in. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Theo, of course, should get some credit for hound-dogging (eh, Jamesy?) Gonzalez these past couple/few years and making that deal happen this past winter.  But, that was all made possible by Boston's fascist big-market power.  The true ace move that he pulled off this past year will turn out to be Jarrod.  I mean, after all the lusting for this guy, he was all but on the scrap heap.  But he, under the wing of the Cap'n and the fantastic player development folks in the Sox org, is blossoming into a dangerous power-hitter and a bona-fide catcher.  I love it.  Catcher was the weak chink in the armour going into the year.  turning out to be a strength at this point.  And that is without the panicked moves for questionable faded FA catchers, or even worse, trades for questionable faded catchers that folks were clamouring for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league?

No.

Is the Salty "experiment" working out as well as anyone could have hoped?
    Yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : So his defensive numbers are hugely effected by that in terms of passed balls I understand many in the nation agree with you but I'm not buying it if it's the pitchers fault they call it a wild pitch not  a passed ball as far as the thread goes why not say ' one of  the best' or  ' the hottest ' but it's only been a couple of months
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

The reason i didnt ask if hes "one" of the best young catchers is because thats a pretty obvious one to answer isnt it? Whats the point in even asking that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

[QUOTE]Taking his age and contract into account is there a catcher out there you'd rather have right now?  JOE MAUER. Born 1983 to J.S's 1983...
    Posted by kirbyrob[/QUOTE]

And Joes contract is? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

good stuff

DCSoxFan13, slomag and as always BT

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty, is he the best young catcher in the league? : The reason i didnt ask if hes "one" of the best young catchers is because thats a pretty obvious one to answer isnt it? Whats the point in even asking that. 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

Whats the point in even asking that

personally I  think it gives the thread and poster a little more credibility

so what's the point of asking

if someone is the best at something

after only being in the conversation for a couple of months

Buster Posey is 2 yrs younger