Salty just doesn't cut it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wschamps04-07. Show wschamps04-07's posts

Salty just doesn't cut it

When will the sox learn that Saltalamacchia is just not that good a catcher.  Ross just handles the pitching staff so much better, and it seems recently there is more of a chance of a blowout when Salty catches.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Salty just doesn't cut it

In response to wschamps04-07's comment:

When will the sox learn that Saltalamacchia is just not that good a catcher.  Ross just handles the pitching staff so much better, and it seems recently there is more of a chance of a blowout when Salty catches.

B I N G O !!!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

time to call up lavarnway, he is doing well in AAA and its time we give him a shot. he cant be any worse than salty and has the potential to be much better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ross hasnt played full time in years and at 36yrs old, I wouldnt push it much over 60-70 games with him. Most catchers dont have great offensive numbers, even some of the highly touted ones. Not everyone gets a Buster Posey or Y. Molina. Dont say lavarnway would be a better option because even after doing well in AAA, he hasnt done anything offensively during any of his stints on the big club. Not saying he couldnt, just that he hasnt when given the chance.

Catcher A : BA .222  OBP .295  SLG  .384  OPS  .678

Catcher B : BA .224  OBP  .306  SLG  .421  OPS .727

any guesses who is who?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Another Salty thread.

just wonderful.

And another comment by Conan adding nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Here's a key stat:

While Salty has caught, there have been 12 WP in 169 IP

With David Ross, there have been 3 WP in 105.

He's very, very expendable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Here's a key stat:

While Salty has caught, there have been 12 WP in 169 IP

With David Ross, there have been 3 WP in 105.

He's very, very expendable.

Salty had one of the best WP+PB/innings caught rate in MLB last year. He has struggled out of the gate this year, but the sample sizes are pretty small- concerning, but small.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Another Salty thread.

just wonderful.

And another comment by Conan adding nothing.

Conan the Moron needs a vacation

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ross hasnt played full time in years and at 36yrs old, I wouldnt push it much over 60-70 games with him. Most catchers dont have great offensive numbers, even some of the highly touted ones. Not everyone gets a Buster Posey or Y. Molina. Dont say lavarnway would be a better option because even after doing well in AAA, he hasnt done anything offensively during any of his stints on the big club. Not saying he couldnt, just that he hasnt when given the chance.

any guesses who is who?

All star Matt Wieters? What do I win? Let me add I understand your many points. Its early. Catchers don't produce big numbers on offense. Ross is old and has never caught a lot and has never been effective above 90 starts. And Lavarnway failed last year. True, true, true, true, true, true.

Here is my take. Even though its early, its not like Salty is in some slump we are hoping he improves on. He has never had more then a hollow .745 OPS in any of his 9 stops in the bigs. All in hitters parks. Catchers may be bad offensively, but Salty is a little worse then bad offensively. And he isn't going to get much better.

The Ross point I agree with. However, its not like people are asking for him to even catch 100 games this year. What I want is more games NOW from Ross. If Ross catches 60% of the next 50 games over the next 2 months, that will give him just 42 starts on the season. Salty would have started 39 games. The weather is cool. Its early in the season. Ross will only have to catch maybe 6-7 back to back games. Unless he has some underlying condition, its not going to kill him. By doing this we can see if Ross can handle it. If he starts to suck you stop the idea. This will get us into July. Then they can decide if Salty still sucks[likely]. If Ross can handle a heavier pay load[maybe]. If Lavarnway looks more ready[probably]. And if a good trade option is on the market[who knows]. At that time if they trade for a catcher or bring up Lavarnway or Salty goes on a hot streak, they can begin reducing the role of Ross and easily get him under 80 games started for the season.

Finally Lavarnway. Is he ready? Not sure. I personally have not gotten to the bring Lavarnway up stage. But he is doing very well in AAA. Better then last year. And I believe he will eventually be a better then Salty. Not sure he is yet. Kinda think he might not be yet.

The one thing I do believe now based on EVERYTHING is that Ross is better then Salty. We have a better chance to win now with Ross playing. Its time to push Ross's playing time. And its time to look at the trade market and Lavarnway real close over the next few weeks because Salty ain't the future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to wschamps04-07's comment:

Good POST..... Howevaa, I think that I should tell you that most of the T-BALLERS on this board would say that you sound "NEGATIVE"........ Not  "P C" to the T-BALLERS !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

same thing as short-stop, Sox refuse to take defense over offense... 

I didnt realize Drew was doing a bad defensive job...Probably because he isnt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

same thing as short-stop, Sox refuse to take defense over offense... 

I didnt realize Drew was doing a bad defensive job...Probably because he isnt.

Burrito is right on this one !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here is my take. Even though its early, its not like Salty is in some slump we are hoping he improves on. He has never had more then a hollow .745 OPS in any of his 9 stops in the bigs. All in hitters parks. Catchers may be bad offensively, but Salty is a little worse then bad offensively. And he isn't going to get much better.

I get the "hollow" point you are making about his OPS. His OBP is too low, and that is more important than Slg%. However, Slg% is not useless, and he has been very good in that area when compared to other catchers. Slaty was also our 3rd best Late & Close" hitter last season, so that was not all that "hollow" in that sense.

I'm fine with giving more games to Ross and see how it pans out. If he starts to tire, then rest him a bit more.

I would not give Lava a chance, unless we fall out of the race or someone gets injured. Our staff needs all the helpt they can get with the more experienced veteran catchers we have.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

any guesses who is who?

All star Matt Wieters? What do I win? Let me add I understand your many points. Its early. Catchers don't produce big numbers on offense. Ross is old and has never caught a lot and has never been effective above 90 starts. And Lavarnway failed last year. True, true, true, true, true, true.

The Ross point I agree with. However, its not like people are asking for him to even catch 100 games this year. What I want is more games NOW from Ross. If Ross catches 60% of the next 50 games over the next 2 months, that will give him just 42 starts on the season. Salty would have started 39 games. The weather is cool. Its early in the season. Ross will only have to catch maybe 6-7 back to back games. Unless he has some underlying condition, its not going to kill him. By doing this we can see if Ross can handle it. If he starts to suck you stop the idea. This will get us into July. Then they can decide if Salty still sucks[likely]. If Ross can handle a heavier pay load[maybe]. If Lavarnway looks more ready[probably]. And if a good trade option is on the market[who knows]. At that time if they trade for a catcher or bring up Lavarnway or Salty goes on a hot streak, they can begin reducing the role of Ross and easily get him under 80 games started for the season.

Finally Lavarnway. Is he ready? Not sure. I personally have not gotten to the bring Lavarnway up stage. But he is doing very well in AAA. Better then last year. And I believe he will eventually be a better then Salty. Not sure he is yet. Kinda think he might not be yet.

The one thing I do believe now based on EVERYTHING is that Ross is better then Salty. We have a better chance to win now with Ross playing. Its time to push Ross's playing time. And its time to look at the trade market and Lavarnway real close over the next few weeks because Salty ain't the future.

you win an attaboy for guessing Weiters ;)  good job.

I hear what your saying, but heres the other side. The games played thing with Ross has already been done. He is who he is at age 36. Thats why he was labeled the "best backup catcher". anything over 70ish games and your starting to risk lower offensive production and getting tired behind the dish, which leads to poor play. So realistically, they already know what they have. They can play him a couple games in a row, maybe 3, but your gonna have to rest him a few days after that.

So the only thing to do is try and keep a good balance of resting Salty and Ross. Salty didnt start the motor until the end of April last year. If he goes 1-4, thats .250. Thats who he is. So hes going to have a couple bad games, then a really good game, then a 1-4 game, etc..I agree, his defense seems to be sloppy out of the gates this year, but he really did improve last year. Its a shame some just refuse to give him any credit, even though guys like tek have praised him for his improvement. But I guess some here are more knowledgeable than tek.

Listen, if they are going to trade him, just remember Lavarnway is new back there and isnt really familiar with these guys. Even with a trade for another catcher. Theres going to be a learning curve with the pitchers. Im not so sure thats a great Idea right now when Salty really isnt killing this team. There has been plenty of guys that grounded out, K'd, DP, or whatever in an important situation, not just him. I just dont like to change catchers in the middle of the year and mess with that chemistry with the pitchers. Not that it cant be done. As long as it makes the team better. I just dont think it needs to be done right now. Wait until July and see where their at.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

any guesses who is who?

I hear what your saying, but heres the other side. The games played thing with Ross has already been done. He is who he is at age 36. Thats why he was labeled the "best backup catcher". anything over 70ish games and your starting to risk lower offensive production and getting tired behind the dish, which leads to poor play. So realistically, they already know what they have. They can play him a couple games in a row, maybe 3, but your gonna have to rest him a few days after that.

So the only thing to do is try and keep a good balance of resting Salty and Ross. Salty didnt start the motor until the end of April last year. If he goes 1-4, thats .250. Thats who he is. So hes going to have a couple bad games, then a really good game, then a 1-4 game, etc..I agree, his defense seems to be sloppy out of the gates this year, but he really did improve last year. Its a shame some just refuse to give him any credit, even though guys like tek have praised him for his improvement. But I guess some here are more knowledgeable than tek.

Listen, if they are going to trade him, just remember Lavarnway is new back there and isnt really familiar with these guys. Even with a trade for another catcher. Theres going to be a learning curve with the pitchers. Im not so sure thats a great Idea right now when Salty really isnt killing this team. There has been plenty of guys that grounded out, K'd, DP, or whatever in an important situation, not just him. I just dont like to change catchers in the middle of the year and mess with that chemistry with the pitchers. Not that it cant be done. As long as it makes the team better. I just dont think it needs to be done right now. Wait until July and see where their at.

Salty's best career month is May, so I'm not sure this is the time to bench him. Play Ross a little more, but giving up on Salty could be a big mistake.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

any guesses who is who?

Salty's best career month is May, so I'm not sure this is the time to bench him. Play Ross a little more, but giving up on Salty could be a big mistake.

Thats what Im saying. Wait until July and see where we are at.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts