Salty just doesn't cut it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Salty just doesn't cut it

I'll be in the corner daydreaming about Christian Vazquez or Blake Swihart.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm not a big Salty fan, but think he is doing a better job than Middlebrooks is (at 3B).  Plus right now I don't see a lot of good alternatives inside the Sox system. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I'm not a big Salty fan, but think he is doing a better job than Middlebrooks is (at 3B).  Plus right now I don't see a lot of good alternatives inside the Sox system. 

Ryan Lavarnway.
    David Ross.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I'll be in the corner daydreaming about Christian Vazquez or Blake Swihart.

Hey flapjack, good job landing the Chevy account

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

pumpsie-green, we saw Lavarnway last fall and he couldn't cut it.  Nor this spring. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think Lavarnway can strike-out 35% of time. Sorry close to 40%
    77AB's  31K's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

nice twist southpaw but I was talking about elite defense ..... Drew isn't elite. 

hes not hurting the team, is he? Hes above avaerage. Who cares if hes elite?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Here's why I am reluctant to dump Saltalmacchia.  The same FO that found Ross, who has so far worked out well, is the FO that found Salty and decided to develop him.  They also brought Lavarnway along and have a pretty good catcher at I think Portland--the short guy with the killer arm/release for nailing baserunners.  If they can be patient with Salty, so can we. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

UZR is only supposed to be used in 2-3 year sample sizes, but it's interesting to note this...

SSs with 170 innings played in 2013:

1) Drew  32.7

2) Simmons 30.9

3) Andrus  30.1

4) Pennington 21.9

If you widen the group to any SS with over 40 innings, there are 47 of them:

1) Aviles  44.6

2) Iggy  35.4

3) Drew  32.7

47) Ciriaco -164.7

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Here's why I am reluctant to dump Saltalmacchia.  The same FO that found Ross, who has so far worked out well, is the FO that found Salty and decided to develop him.  They also brought Lavarnway along and have a pretty good catcher at I think Portland--the short guy with the killer arm/release for nailing baserunners.  If they can be patient with Salty, so can we. 

I think if you change up the chemistry between the catcher and pitchers right now, your asking for some trouble.

There are maybe 5 elite catchers in todays game. the rest are just pretty good at both O and D,  stronger with one than the other or just bad altogether. Salty is average at both, meaning hes not going to really hurt you either way. His only without a doubt weak spot is cs%. after he hit a double some here were screaming for him to be replaced by Carp, who went 0-4 the next night.

They should stick with him this year unless they are obviously out of it come the trade deadline.