Salty pullin a Pedey???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

Re: Salty pullin a Pedey???

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey???:
    In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Or maybe there is a reason why he has never played in more than 84 games and been on 3 different teams in his short career.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

the dodgers and the expos both let pedro go for cheap, with hindsight they of course never would have....guys get better sometimes...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Or maybe there is a reason why he has never played in more than 84 games and been on 3 different teams in his short career.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

Or maybe he is getting some much needed confidence and finally a team is giving him a real chance to play on a regular basis and get that confidence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : the dodgers and the expos both let pedro go for cheap, with hindsight they of course never would have....guys get better sometimes...

Posted by elvis-surfs

Ummm...pedro had at least performed well when he was traded. Completely different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Or maybe he is getting some much needed confidence and finally a team is giving him a real chance to play on a regular basis and get that confidence.

Posted by jrh1194

Agreed, and he is showing us what he is, a below average defensive catcher who will hit in the .240 range with occasional pop.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Salty has had lots of problems, for one he couldn't throw the baseball back to the pitcher, we haven't seen that, yet. Hopefully we won't.  He has an eminence amount of talent, big , strong, young, good arm, lots of power. Can't miss prospect? Well we will see.
    Posted by aussiewill

You haven't actually been watching the games he catches, have you?  This issue has cropped up more than once while he's been catching for Boston.  It hasn't cost the Sox any games yet though and seems to have settled down since he's become more comfortable (as reflected by his offense).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Agreed, and he is showing us what he is, a below average defensive catcher who will hit in the .240 range with occasional pop.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

Since it is still May, I don't think that anyone can make a fair assessment of him yet. Let's see what he can do with a full season with the Sox. That would give a a clear picture of what he can do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Ummm...pedro had at least performed well when he was traded. Completely different.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

I agree that it is completely different and that that was a poor example to use.

In ATL, Salty was blocked by McCann, an all-star catcher, so yeah the kid wasn't getting playing time any time soon, so he was dealt (with others) for Teix.  While in Texas, he was one of 3 highly touted catching prospects, all of whom were ready to reach the majors at the same time (Teagaredn and Max Ramirez being the other catchers).  To date, none have lived up the the hype, with Salty being given away, same with Max.  All 3 were thought to be potential above-average FULL TIME catchers.  None were given the chance to catch full time with Texas, there was always a time share.  Are you saying that the lack of consistent playing time, based on the presence of other high-end catching prospects in no way effected his performance while in Texas?

I think it certainly didn't help, and by year end we should have some idea of what Salty can do.  If he hits .240 so be it, but if he's able to contribute in a meaningful way offensively, then this is a huge win for Boston.  Look at the state of catching around MLB.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Since it is still May, I don't think that anyone can make a fair assessment of him yet. Let's see what he can do with a full season with the Sox. That would give a a clear picture of what he can do.

Posted by jrh1194

He's closing in on almost 2 seasons' worth of games played. Not saying he can't blossom, but there's a good chance that he is what he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Catchers dont usually "blossom" til 25+..Salty was never given a fair shot IMO..Once he started doing poor, they(texas)gave up on him or he was blocked in Atl...The Sox are willing to go through the tough times to get to the good ones, Like they did with Pedey. He just turned 26 on May 2nd. Now that hes got the proper training and a great mentor, unlike in Texas, I think we will see his full potential in Boston.. If it does turn out to be a 250-60 hitter, so be it. But I d like to see more consistant playing time before I call Salty a bust.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

Catchers dont usually "blossom" til 25+..Salty was never given a fair shot IMO..Once he started doing poor, they(texas)gave up on him or he was blocked in Atl...The Sox are willing to go through the tough times to get to the good ones, Like they did with Pedey. He just turned 26 on May 2nd. Now that hes got the proper training and a great mentor, unlike in Texas, I think we will see his full potential in Boston.. If it does turn out to be a 250-60 hitter, so be it. But I d like to see more consistant playing time before I call Salty a bust.

Posted by southpaw777

And I'd like to see him PERFORM more consistently before I label him as having "turned the corner" after a nice little hot streak.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I certainly was one who "dogged" him! Now, he has earned all of our patience!! Go "Salty!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : And I'd like to see him PERFORM more consistently before I label him as having "turned the corner" after a nice little hot streak.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

Agreed Babe.  However, we as Sox fans, are psyched that he is, lets just say, showing signs, if he has not yet "turned the corner".  I think you can see it in your Yankee heart to forgive a Sox fan if he/she gets a little over-hyped about it.  It looked like he was going to be a dud.  Now, maybe he's not going to be a dud.  Which is exciting.  Save your obtusity for something more critical than Sox fans getting excited over Salty showing signs of offensive niceness.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : I think this is a reasonable comment, but it also applies to Russell Martin.  His labrum injury occurred after a year and a half of miserable offense, so you can't attribute his success to return to health.  Salty has performed slightly better offensively throughout his career than Russell Martin has over the past two years, in roughly the same number of PAs.

Posted by slomag

I wouldn't say that salty outperformed him at all.

And you are right, it wasn't all attributable to injuries, he said it was part mental also. He didn't have his head fully in the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Look...  I think most knowledgeable Sox fans had serious reservations about Salty being 'named' THE catcher by management...  That question, kind of fell off the radar after the signings of A-Gon & Crawford...  Most of us were blinded by what we intuitively thought to be an incredible lineup, not withstanding all the pre-season hype!!  I think most of us thought that the kid would be insulated by one of the best pre-season lineups in recent memory....  Well...... then came the first several weeks!  YIKES!!!  We were ALL shell shocked!!!!  Yes!  Even the most patient of RS fans were grasping for answers???  Even amongst the chaos of the entire TEAM's enemic start, Salty looked absolutely pathetic, both offensively and defensively.....  Many, if not most, seriously wondered if the kid was sinking a much vaunted pitching staff.  Combined with his glaring defensive mishaps & consistently pathetic plate appearances, MOST RS fans were beyond concern over the key catcher position!!!  Intellectually speaking, as baseball fans we all know that we need to be patient!  Unfortunately, MANY / MOST RS fans, including myself, are hard wired (perhaps even genetically predisposed:) for impatience over 'bad baseball' played by our beloved Red Sox...  Not to mention that most of us know baseball pretty darned well, & we're not too shabby at judging real talent, or lack there of, with most of our players...........  AND.........  OK....... We can be pretty brutal about it!  Often times, we are not beyond 'eating our own.....'

SO......  We all know the histrionics of THE FIRE to which Salty was thrown......

Given that 'TRIAL BY FIRE,' here in BOSTON............. 
    A 'baptism' by Fenway, so to speak..... :) 

I could not be more impressed, or proud of this kid for persevering!

This is not to say that the kid is 'out of the woods' with respect to 'breaking out' or 'turning THE corner.'  He may well still not be 'THE answer' to the catcher question?????  HE IS however, showing great signs of life!!!!!!!

No matter how strongly any true Red Sox fan feels about the question of "Salty being the answer to 'THE catcher' question...........................  WE ALL owe the kid a great deal of respect for FIGHTING HIS WAY THROUGH THIS!  The kid IS SHOWING TRUE GRIT!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Russell Martin combined 2009 - 2010: .249 / .350 / .330 / .680 in 969 PAs Jarrod Saltalamacchia career: .247 / .312 / .387 / .700 in 999 PAs

Posted by slomag

Martin had more than 2x's as many rbi's in 30 less at bats. You could call it a wash at best.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Facts are facts.  Salty was a big gamble by the Sox.  I'm sure a lot of guys in the FO and the farm system weighed in and told Theo he was worth the risk, but last year he looked like a loser.  Funny thing, you could see him getting better in April, and I think the way Francona used him helped.  If Salty continues to click, this would be a real coup by the GM. 

Now, if somone could just show Lester how to throw a changeup . . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Salty pullin a Pedey???:
    :) I have to say....  I was really doggin on this kid the first month+.....  just as I did with Pedey his 1st year.... I have to admit.....  The kid is definitely showing signs of life!!!  :) I'm actually not sorry to see him in the game anymore :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

I also confess, I have never liked this kid, I never kicked him, but sure thought about it, I hope every day now, I live to regreat those thoughts i had about "How bad can this kid be".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

My better half is telling me to keep quite, it's far to early to Judge Salty. So he's hit good for 2 weeks, so what? he looked horrible before then.  So he's talented and was once the centerpiece for Mark Teixeira, so what? prospects don't always pan out.  

A couple weeks isn't enough to say that Salty has finally come into his own.

.......But you can bet I'm getting my hopes up. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This post shows the ability of the RS to actually wait and not pull the plug too soon on players. We have had Pedroia, Clay, Ortiz, Lowrie and Salty have long dry spells.
    Yes there have been mistakes Lugo, Rentaria, Penny, Smoltz.....
    But the team did give these guys and all others enough time to prove themselves or to fail.

IMHO it is a very good aspect of the RS management not to have a knee jerk response every time aplayer goes into a funk.

I will say if most of the folks here were GM/Mgr there would have been many knee jerk reponses and no Pedroia, Clay, Lowrie, Ortiz or Salty on the team right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I am with you ctredsoxfanhugh, this guy has been hyped up his entire short career and was also for a long time coveted by Theo. So he is going to stick around for at least a few years. Salty is still young especially for a catcher and I hope he gets comfortable with the staff, because his offense could be very good once his head is cleared. Honestly, if he could hit .270 15-25Hrs 60-90RBIs consistently for the next few years I would be very happy. That, too me, would be a fantastic amount of production out of the catching position. What he has going on is very nice and he shows some great signs of raw power and ability to hit good pitches as long as he is patient and can work the count. I didn't get down on him much at all earlier in the year and now I am not going to play up his play the last few weeks.

I think we need to wait until at least the all-star break to make a more clear assessment of the direction Salty's play could be heading.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im not anointing Salty to the catchers throne so to speak, as Ive stated in prior posts. I am however optomistic for his recent performance. has he "turned the corner"? No, not yet. Could this be the beginning of that? We'll see....But Ill stay optomistic about it. I think thats all I was trying to say..

Sections
Shortcuts