Salty/Russell Martin Debate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Salty/Russell Martin Debate

For all of April and May, I read how foolish the Sox were to have signed Salty and not Martin.  Martin started out on fire which only rhachetted up the rhetoric.  Now that Salty is playing well and Martin has come back to earth, I wonder where all the Salty doubters have gone.  To me it was a typical Red Sox Nation over reaction in the early part of the season.  What do you all think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Salty/Russell Martin Debate

I still think Salty was a risk....however, with risk comes reward....it appears to have started to pay dividends. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Matt Kemp being better than Bellsbury should be the only thing spoken about right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

A lot of people said Saltamachia would probably end up with better numbers than Martin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I had some confidence in Salty, although I wasn't sure. I figured enough people saw something in his ability, so I was hopeful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would still take russell martin over salty. He still has too many mental lapses on defense and has not produced much with the stick. I would not be surprise if ryan lavarnway takes over for him next year if he continues to rake and refines his defensive skills. If he can stick at catcher then i think we will have found our catcher of the future. I am not overly impressed with salty but he has been ok.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxWacko. Show RedSoxWacko's posts

I think Russell Martins best days are way behind him, Joe Torre practically killed him in Dodger land. He caught too many games without enough rest.

Salty on the other hand is 26 and his best days are in front of him, he is getting better and working with Tek for another year will only help his development.

No question I would take Salty and his upside in a heartbeat over Martin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

salty may still have "upside" but so far thats all hes had in his career. Martin has been an allstar multiple times. That being said, i dont think salty or russell martin would have been the sox catcher of the future. That title I believe will go to ryan lavarnway. He cant be any worse defensively than salty and chances are he will be a much better hitter. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

The beauties of Martin are his experienced, calm game-calling ability, really superb defense (you'd have to watch the games to see what we all appreciate nin NY), a very good bat, and he can steal a base. Great having a veteran who contributes in a lot of ways who the pitchers and the team respect. I don't see enough of Salty to compare, but that's a lot to compare to.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Salty/Russell Martin Debate:
    [QUOTE]i would still take russell martin over salty. He still has too many mental lapses on defense and has not produced much with the stick. I would not be surprise if ryan lavarnway takes over for him next year if he continues to rake and refines his defensive skills. If he can stick at catcher then i think we will have found our catcher of the future. I am not overly impressed with salty but he has been ok.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

All Star or not you realize Martin is hitting .222?  Salty is a better player than Martin IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Salty has improved, no doubt. I would still take Martin. He is a better all-around catcher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Kemp being better than Bellsbury should be the only thing spoken about right now.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE]

Start your own thread and talk to your alter ego BillyBoy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

[QUOTE]The beauties of Martin are his experienced, calm game-calling ability, really superb defense (you'd have to watch the games to see what we all appreciate nin NY), a very good bat, and he can steal a base. Great having a veteran who contributes in a lot of ways who the pitchers and the team respect. I don't see enough of Salty to compare, but that's a lot to compare to.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]
    It's arguable but I don't know if you can say a player has a "very good bat" when he's hitting .220 or whatever he's hitting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Salty has improved, no doubt. I would still take Martin. He is a better all-around catcher.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

That is a reasonable position to take.  Its the Martin is great and Salty is terrible crowd that was yelling from the rooftops.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Kemp being better than Bellsbury should be the only thing spoken about right now.

How is that even remotely related? It's not like there's a parallel to draw between Ellsbury/Kemp and Salty/Martin. Your obsession with Ellsbury is nothing short of pathetic. Find someone else to bash. Better yet, find a different team to follow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]The beauties of Martin are his experienced, calm game-calling ability, really superb defense (you'd have to watch the games to see what we all appreciate nin NY), a very good bat, and he can steal a base. Great having a veteran who contributes in a lot of ways who the pitchers and the team respect. I don't see enough of Salty to compare, but that's a lot to compare to.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]
    Don't kid yourself. Martin is at best an average catcher. Over the last few seasons his bat has gone steadily south. Lots of catchers have "calm game-calling ability."
    ( How does you know this for certain? ) Do you think that the Dodgers would have let him go if he is all that you say he is?  For Rod Barajas?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

do not feed the trolls.

I'm happy with Salty's season...and with Lavarnways progression the catcher situation is looking less bleak. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Man, the person you describe sounds great.  Russell Martin is hitting .220.  It can't be the same guy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

jimdavis want do you want to see in 2012? Tek has to go at some point, is Salty going to be the full-time CA in 2012? 

I think 2012 will be potentially more problematic than some suggest 2011 has been.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I was not willing to trade Clay for Salty back when many called for that.  I think that Salty would be fine in 2012.  I'm not one who needs an all star at every position.  I am willing to be patient with Salty and let him have the job full time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Softy,

Nobodies listening or cares about your comments. We all know you hate Ellsbury for some reason despite the great season he's having, so get off the pot. We don't care to hear your witless comments any longer. And please do not tell the readers what to comment on, as you don't run this forum.

Hetchinspete.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty/Russell Martin Debate : Softy, Nobodies listening or cares about your comments. We all know you hate Ellsbury for some reason despite the great season he's having, so get off the pot. We don't care to hear your witless comments any longer. And please do not tell the readers what to comment on, as you don't run this forum. Hetchinspete.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

That's not Softy.  It's somebody mocking him, probably Pike.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty/Russell Martin Debate : How is that even remotely related? It's not like there's a parallel to draw between Ellsbury/Kemp and Salty/Martin. Your obsession with Ellsbury is nothing short of pathetic. Find someone else to bash. Better yet, find a different team to follow.
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]

Ron,

Thank you. I second, third and fourth the motion !!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

maybe if the MLB  players saw this post

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty/Russell Martin Debate : Don't kid yourself. Martin is at best an average catcher. Over the last few seasons his bat has gone steadily south. Lots of catchers have "calm game-calling ability." ( How does you know this for certain? ) Do you think that the Dodgers would have let him go if he is all that you say he is?  For Rod Barajas?  
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

they wouldn't have voted for martin to be on the AS team

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]maybe if the MLB  players saw this post In Response to Re: Salty/Russell Martin Debate : they wouldn't have voted for martin to be on the AS team
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

That's not an argument that Martin is good - just over-rated.

Sections
Shortcuts