SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF.......

"LET ME BE CLEAR",  SOME OF YOU POSTERS WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT T-BALL THAN BASEBALL MUST ADMIT THAT THEO IS THE MAN, AND HE DESERVES ALL THE CREDIT FOR THE SOX SINCE 2004 ON !!!!  WHAT SAY YOU, YOU ICE CREAM PEOPLE ??????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF.......

WELL !!!  WHERE ARE YOU, T-BALLERS !!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i am not sure that i want to get involved with any discussion about theo, but i do like saltalamacchia.

salty will hit even better once he narrows down his choices on the first pitch he sees in every at bat.  he swings big at almost any and every first pitch if it is even near the strike zone.  as a result, i think that he is helping the pitcher in almost every at bat.

he needs to better pre determine where he wants the ball and what kind of pitch he wants to hit on that first pitch.  if he wants a fast ball and gets it where he likes it, then rip away.  if it is not the ball he wants or the place he wants it then let it go. 

he is getting behind in the count too often and has gotten himself out on too many first pitch pitches that are not good balls to swing at.

i am not saying that a slow footed guy like salty should be up there looking for walks, but he will hit more consistantly if he were to be more selective.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Come on now...

People around here are QUICK to point out where others are wrong. You'll see a unicorn humping a dragon before those same people ever admit being wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Salty was a great acquisition, but Lackey and Matsuzaka were not.  So far Crawford hasn't been, but he just might be turning things around.  Gonzalez was a humoungously good acquisition.  Wheeler and Jenks just might be OK (but haven't been to date).  Moving Youk to third, which I thought was dumb, now looks pretty smart. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I haven't posted this but I have thought it.  While his free agent signings have been hit or miss, Theo has been very good with young talent:

Buch
    Lester
    Papelbon
    Bard
    Pedroia
    Lowrie
    Ellsbury

I believe he drafted all these guys.  (I could be wrong, but I am sure he at least nurtured them into the major leaguers). 

He also aquired Salty pretty cheap. (as in, nothing in trade). 

So when you talk about management and "value", you should probably include draft picks and player development as well as free agents when you evaluate Theo's performance. 

-Daf. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF.......:
    [QUOTE]Come on now... People around here are QUICK to point out where others are wrong. You'll see a unicorn humping a dragon before those same people ever admit being wrong.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

How about a unicorn humping Raul Ibanez? ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I been sayin' since ST that Salty was going to do much better than people thought. If he stays healthy I project him at .255-.265, 15-18, 65-75. Tack on what you get from Tek, and the Sox could possibly end up with +/- 25 HR from their catchers this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I been sayin' since ST that Salty was going to do much better than people thought. If he stays healthy I project him at .255-.265, 15-18, 65-75. Tack on what you get from Tek, and the Sox could possibly end up with +/- 25 HR from their catchers this year.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]GOOD POST !!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

i'd say you are THEO posting as bill; or you have an unhealthy obsession with this clearly overrated GM.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]i'd say you are THEO posting as bill; or you have an unhealthy obsession with this clearly overrated GM.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]  YAZRUSKI.... SON, YOU NEED TO GO EASY HERE.... 1ST OF ALL, THEO KNOWS HIS BASEBALL....2ND OF ALL, JUST BECAUSE I AM ONE OF HIS CONSULTANTS DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO BERATE THE HEALTH OF THE RELATIONSHIP....... 3RD,  YOUR ICE CREAM IS MELTING, YOUUUU  T-BALLER !!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey bill, i wish you would post in larger, darker letters. i can barely hear you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

To whoever posted we should trade for Z (which is crazy talk):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110605&sportCat=mlb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]To whoever posted we should trade for Z (which is crazy talk): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110605&sportCat=mlb
    Posted by CTJake14[/QUOTE]
    Big Z is a terrible teammate, no on the field contributions can make up for being that much of a clubhouse cancer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]I haven't posted this but I have thought it.  While his free agent signings have been hit or miss, Theo has been very good with young talent: Buch Lester Papelbon Bard Pedroia Lowrie Ellsbury I believe he drafted all these guys.  (I could be wrong, but I am sure he at least nurtured them into the major leaguers).  He also aquired Salty pretty cheap. (as in, nothing in trade).  So when you talk about management and "value", you should probably include draft picks and player development as well as free agents when you evaluate Theo's performance.  -Daf. 

Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

theo didn't draft lester. And how exactly does a GM "nurture" players into the major leagues?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : theo didn't draft lester. And how exactly does a GM "nurture" players into the major leagues?
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]
    2 Ways.

A. Not trading them. Pretty important. I'm looking at you once known as Expos, trading Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips for Bartolo Colon.

B. Organizational player policies, and staff - not that I know of what they do in the Sox farm. Whoever helped Timmy Hottovy develop that sidearm might look very good in the near future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

the SOX don't need crazy ZAMBRANO; they already have crazy LACKEY.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : 2 Ways. A. Not trading them. Pretty important. I'm looking at you once known as Expos, trading Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips for Bartolo Colon. B. Organizational player policies, and staff - not that I know of what they do in the Sox farm. Whoever helped Timmy Hottovy develop that sidearm might look very good in the near future.

Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

LOL...I understand. But not trading them is hardly "nuturing". "nurturing" them makes it sound like they suckle at theo's teat.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... :    YES THAT IS A VERY LIBERAL CONCERN (BOLD LETTERS)..... I WILL CUT YOU SOME SLACK HERE AS YOU ARE A FAIRLY NEWCOMER TO THE BOARD, YA SEE, I HAVE AN EYE CONDITION THAT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO WRITE AS YOU LIBERALS THINK IT SHOULD BE..... TRUST ME, YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR MY VOICE......
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

You might want to try the lower case with a larger font size, this has worked for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : By the way Babe, Russell Martin posted a .680 OPS in May, and his batting average is now 4 points lower than Salty's.  Is he losing focus, or crashing to earth?  It might be time to re-open the which team has the edge at catcher debate.

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I never claimed that Martin was the second coming of Yogi. But because salty has gotten on a hot streak doesn't make him johnny bench either.

I know you red flops' fans like to think April didn't count, but guess what, it does.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : LOL...I understand. But not trading them is hardly "nuturing". "nurturing" them makes it sound like they suckle at theo's teat.
    GM's are typically involved in hiring, scouts, player development, etc. throughout the organization. They play roles as decision makers for the guys actually involved in the nuturing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : April did count, but so did May.  And so did the past two years.  Spring Training didn't count, but it was more like May than April for both Martin and Salty.  So thus far, April looks like the aberration.  And we're back to where we were at the start of the season, wondering which (if either) of the two would meet or exceed our expectations. You may not have compared Martin to Yogi, but you did your share of gloating when Martin was hot and Salty was struggling.  Don't begrudge 'flops' fans for returning the favor :)

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I will take where Martin has been in his career over where salty has been in his career, number wise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : I think Salty's a good example of how a player's development can be screwed up.  He was called up too soon with too much expected of him.  He was shuffled back and forth between the majors and the minors.  When he got a chance to play in Texas, he was tossed in with 3 other prospects and caught maybe one game a week, and when confidence issues arose they kicked him to the curb.  At one point, Texas had four of the best catching prospects in the game, and now they have Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba.  I don't think it's a co-incidence.  Theo's done a great job of not inserting young players into a situation where they are likely to fail.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]  GREAT POST !!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SALTY SAYS, HEY, THAT THEO KNOWS HIS STUFF....... : I will take where Martin has been in his career over where salty has been in his career, number wise.
    Today, as would I, I'd take Salty over Martin for the next 3 years if I was a betting man though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"theo's done a great job of not inserting young players into a situation where they are likely to fail."

that is correct; theo inserts old players into a situation where they are likely to fail.