Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

Sometimes it just seems some players just need to play to get confidence and RS do good job of waiting thru growing pains [Pedroia great example] but have to trust what scouts are telling you. Seems RS really believed in Salty did try to get him a few times in past, they didn't panic when most fans were calling for his removal early this season and looks like their trust will be rewarded. Great Job by Red Sox, why they are one of the top organizations in baseball and players want to come here, big change from Duquette years!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

I submit myself for punishment!!!

Thank you sir, may I have another!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day:
    In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : And it's always fun to watch him shove it back in the face of all those who were quitting on him back in April with those "Salty is a bust/failure" posts.
    Posted by royf19

Im definitely enjoying watching him grow this year right in front of us..This is what the FO saw all along...I think he can only get better, and he will..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Salty had 310 AB last year in triple A and his numbers wer not good at all.

.244 AVERAGE in 270 Rangers affiliate AB ( in a hitters league no less )
    .278 AVERAGE in 40 Pawtucket AB.

He does have some pop and I am liking his swing a lot more now, especially from the RH side ( which historically has been a problem for him ). He can do some damage when he does hit it. I, like most of you, am hoping for the best. I just had to be honest about my projections. It wasn't looking good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

RED ....You are hilarious! Love the Dewey thing!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I have to say, V-Tek calls a great game too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I admit I was worried about Salty and I thought that Varitek would have to shoulder more than he can/should.  I am pleasantly surprised.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

always liked salty and think tek is an ideal back up...never understood all the handwringing considering all catchers in mlb pretty much cant hit or throw out most runners

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I'm with you there georom. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 5/12/2011
    Last: 6/13/2011

Many of the forum regulars are grumpy old men who are happier complaining than doing anything else. When you notice that they are experts on 1940s and 50s old movies and spend their lives at youtube then you can picture that they are the GERITOL Gang. Did I say that they are also conservative Republicans who still think that Dewey beat Truman?

If you aren't one of the grumpy old men, then it is a sad thing to see so much stereotyping in the youth of the day.  As a guy growing up in the '60s and '70s, we worked hard and long to erase such base stereotyping.  You make at least four such mentally weak statements that prove the work of getting over lumping individuals together in unfavorable ways never ends.
          Too bad.  We grumpy old men have learned out lessons.  Sounds like some of the the new kids are worse off in mind and outlook than we are.  Time for some mental/social/interpersonal homework.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You nailed it, S.Y.

"Lumping individuals together" is Pike's favorite past-time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day:
    In case anyone is interested, Salty and Tek are now hitting a combined .245 with 8 HRs and 32 RBIs in 64 games. That's a 20 HR, 80 RBI pace for the season, which definitely would rank among the best catching combos in baseball. There's still a lot of baseball to be played, so we'll see if they reach those marks. Injuries, of course, still could be a factor. But with the way Tito is using Tek, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tek stay strong all year. If you want to have fun, go find the idiotic threads from the second week of the season calling Salty and Tek a bust. Those posters deserved to be mocked, not because it's looking like they're wrong, but because of how quick they were to judge.
    Posted by royf19

Jason is basically doing what he has done the last few seasons and is a decent back up for now.  If he hits above 220 and chips in with a few big hits, it's a plus.  Our offense collectively will do the rest. 

If we can get 250/265 out of Salty it will be a successful season, especially if he also continues to grow defensively.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

There is a big difference between a bash Salty thread and a bash Crawford thread.  One is a proven star, the other has never been able to hang on to a starting job and was in the minors last year because he was having a hard time throwing the ball back to the pitcher. He is playing great but to say people deserve to be mocked because they werent sure Salty could do it is kind of ridiculous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

snakeoilsalesman, is that you in that ugly looking avatar picture?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I submit myself for punishment!!! Thank you sir, may I have another!!!
    Posted by Sveltics

Ha!  Hilarious!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Red,

Are you okay my friend?  You seem to have fallen on some hard times and are lashing out at anyone and everyone.  Hope things get better for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

You can put whipped cream on a dog turd but it's still a dog turd. The offense at the C position is mediocre at best, and the defense is just flat out horrid. More PB's and WP's allowed in recent years.

In 65 games, the catching already has 8 PB's; Vmart had just 4 in 110 games (with catching Wake for over 130 innings).
    In 2010, in 1449 IP's, RS pitching had 58 WP's; so far in just 582 IP's, already 30 WP's. The combined CS is 22% thus far; Vmart was 27% in 2010.
    So for all you posters who think the catching is better than last year, think again!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

You can put whipped cream on a dog turd but it's still a dog turd. The offense at the C position is mediocre at best, and the defense is just flat out horrid. More PB's and WP's allowed in recent years. In 65 games, the catching already has 8 PB's; Vmart had just 4 in 110 games (with catching Wake for over 130 innings). In 2010, in 1449 IP's, RS pitching had 58 WP's; so far in just 582 IP's, already 30 WP's. The combined CS is 22% thus far; Vmart was 27% in 2010. So for all you posters who think the catching is better than last year, think again!
    Posted by Alibiike

First, who said anything about the catching being better than last year. That was last year. The point is, how good is it this year.

But since you brought it up, I suppose your point would be true, except for one thing, a little thing called -- FACTS.

1. The Sox pitchers have thrown 21 wild pitches this year, not 30, although I'm at a loss to know how the catcher has anything to do with wild pitches. Still, it's a pace for 52 or 53 for the year, which is LESS than the 58 the Sox threw last year.

2. Martinez did not throw out 27 percent of baserunners last year. He threw out 21 percent of baserunners last year (giving up 99 SB and throwing out 27). Tek threw out 21 percent. So as a team (including Salty, Cash and Molina) the Sox threw out 20 percent of baserunners last year. 

This year, Salty has thrown out 24 percent and Tek is still at 21 percent so  combined, they have thrown out 23 percent. Throwing out 23 percent is better than 20 percent. It's an IMPROVEMENT.

Martinez wouldn't be an upgrade over Salty behind the plate this year. He has thrown out 22 percent in just 15 games. As for offense, he might not even be an upgrade there. While is overall numbers look great, he's batting just .200 wth a .531 OPS when he catches. (Ever wonder why he's only caught 15 games).

Even if the offense from the catching spot is mediocre, for catching, mediocre is good. When I posted the rankings a couple of weeks ago, the Sox were about seventh in the A.L. That was before the recent improving, so I wouldn't be surprised if they moved up  couple of spots since then.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Ali:

Salty struggled early but has been much better as he has gotten comfortable.  For you to quote stats about passed balls doesn't make your argument, it makes the OP's.  He has looked good behind the plate and at bat.  Tek has stepped it up, too.  I'd like you to name all the better catcher's stats for us and then get back to me about Tek/Salty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

You can put whipped cream on a dog turd but it's still a dog turd. The offense at the C position is mediocre at best, and the defense is just flat out horrid. More PB's and WP's allowed in recent years. In 65 games, the catching already has 8 PB's; Vmart had just 4 in 110 games (with catching Wake for over 130 innings). In 2010, in 1449 IP's, RS pitching had 58 WP's; so far in just 582 IP's, already 30 WP's. The combined CS is 22% thus far; Vmart was 27% in 2010. So for all you posters who think the catching is better than last year, think again!
    Posted by Alibiike

Alibi,

I think most of us would have loved to keep VMart, but "you can't always get what you want!"  RS (Rolling Stones / Red Sox)  Given the cost of new acquisitions, there were limited $ to spend elsewhere!

I was a huge basher of Salty when EVERYTHING was going wrong.  It seemed to me at the time, that HE was the root of the problem???  Of course, we were all pretty shell shocked, & were all looking for answers...  Given the situation, I was screaming for Tek. to call 1/2 of the games & give this kid more time to learn.  I was also in favor of cutting our losses ASAP, but it seemed clear there wasn't much out there at the C spot.  Thank God the Sox went with giving Tek a bigger role!  At his age, I think catching 2 out of 5 is about the max?  It definitely has helped to have Tek pick up some of the load, & slow the game down for Salty :) 

Anyway, given the situation, I'm pretty damn happy to be WRONG about the kid.
    All in all, the kid has REALLY STEPPED UP!   I give him huge credit for fighting through a very rough start!  It shows a lot of character! 

I never stopped rooting for him, & I'm actually starting to really like the kid!  Tek deserves a lot of credit for this turn around!   :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"So for all you posters who think the catching is better than last year, think again!"
    But the team is a lot better as a whole, right? That's got to be some kind of consolation to you? Or does the whiff of the turd you smell from the catcher position make it impossible for you to enjoy a winning season?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I did botch a couple of stats. They do have 21 WP's and Vmart was at 21%. However, WPs have everything to do with the catcher's ability to block ball in the dirt, something Vmart was very good at but Salty is not. Hopefully he will get better.
    As far as Vmart's stats this year, seeing as he is not a FT catcher, it's really not fair to compare on such a small sample size. IMO, if he had stayed with Boston as FT catcher his stats would be just as good for CS if not better, and the WP's and PB's would be lower, not to mention the offensive improvement.
    It would have been difficult to keep Vmart with the Acqusitions of Crawford and Gonzo, but if Theo really wanted him, he would have found a way to do it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : Alibi, I think most of us would have loved to keep VMart, but "you can't always get what you want!"  RS (Rolling Stones / Red Sox)  Given the cost of new acquisitions, there were limited $ to spend elsewhere! I was a huge basher of Salty when EVERYTHING was going wrong.  It seemed to me at the time, that HE was the root of the problem???  Of course, we were all pretty shell shocked, & were all looking for answers...  Given the situation, I was screaming for Tek. to call 1/2 of the games & give this kid more time to learn.  I was also in favor of cutting our losses ASAP, but it seemed clear there wasn't much out there at the C spot.  Thank God the Sox went with giving Tek a bigger role!  At his age, I think catching 2 out of 5 is about the max?  It definitely has helped to have Tek pick up some of the load, & slow the game down for Salty :)  Anyway, given the situation, I'm pretty damn happy to be WRONG about the kid. All in all, the kid has REALLY STEPPED UP!   I give him huge credit for fighting through a very rough start!  It shows a lot of character!  I never stopped rooting for him, & I'm actually starting to really like the kid!  Tek deserves a lot of credit for this turn around!   :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

So far this season we have two catchers.  One who is learning from a veteran that has been hitting around 220 for the past two or three years but has a history of calling a good game.  This year is much like last season for the veteran and "as a back up" he has done pretty well mentoring Salty so this year should measure two things.

#1 Can "as a whole" Tek have a decent year at the plate, or will it be approximately the same situation as the last few and his time to leave depends on how much Salty progresses?

#2 Will Salty learn enough from this veteran to go into next season confident enough in his own ability not to need this veterans help?  If so a kid like Lavarnway "if he plays well" deserves his shot as his back up.

I understand and support the fans who love Tek.  He has been here for a long time "like wake" and had his good years buuuut .............

We are only as good as our weakest link.  If any position can be improved with the same or better results it should be a "no brainer" to our management.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I did botch a couple of stats. They do have 21 WP's and Vmart was at 21%. However, WPs have everything to do with the catcher's ability to block ball in the dirt, something Vmart was very good at but Salty is not. Hopefully he will get better. As far as Vmart's stats this year, seeing as he is not a FT catcher, it's really not fair to compare on such a small sample size. IMO, if he had stayed with Boston as FT catcher his stats would be just as good for CS if not better, and the WP's and PB's would be lower, not to mention the offensive improvement. It would have been difficult to keep Vmart with the Acqusitions of Crawford and Gonzo, but if Theo really wanted him, he would have found a way to do it.
    Posted by Alibiike

Again -- wild pitches are on a pace for fewer wild pitches than last year, so your case defensively lies just on passed balls 14 last year, a pace for 20 this year. But Tek rarely has allowed passed balls, so I can see him going the rest of the year w/o one, plus, I don't know how many of the passed balls in either year came when Wake was pitching.

Plus, Martinez made eight errors last year and the Sox catchers made nine total. This year, Salty has one error so far and Tek has zero, a pace for just two or three errors for the season.

So your defensive argument is weak to non-existent.

You're right. The small sample for Martinez this year isn't fair. But you're just guessing at what he'd do as a fulltime catcher. And if he was so great as a catcher, how come there was no interest by anyone in him in the offseason as a fulltime catcher. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : Again -- wild pitches are on a pace for fewer wild pitches than last year, so your case defensively lies just on passed balls 14 last year, a pace for 20 this year. But Tek rarely has allowed passed balls, so I can see him going the rest of the year w/o one, plus, I don't know how many of the passed balls in either year came when Wake was pitching. Plus, Martinez made eight errors last year and the Sox catchers made nine total. This year, Salty has one error so far and Tek has zero, a pace for just two or three errors for the season. So your defensive argument is weak to non-existent. You're right. The small sample for Martinez this year isn't fair. But you're just guessing at what he'd do as a fulltime catcher. And if he was so great as a catcher, how come there was no interest by anyone in him in the offseason as a fulltime catcher. 
    Posted by royf19

I didn't say he was a great catcher, just better than Salty or Tek. And his ability to play 1B was a plus. You have to admit offensively there is no comparison. was he great at throwing out runners, no. Did he block balls in the dirt well, IMO yes.
    Vmart had 6 errors at C and 2 at 1B. He did only have 4 PB's; Cash had 6, Brown 2, Tek 1, and Molina 1. Tek and Salty have 4 each thus far. True, neither is used to catching Wake, so they get the benefit, but Vmart did a great job catching him; that is indisputable. He also caught most of Lester's and Buch's starts, and they had CY caliber seasons.

Sections
Shortcuts