Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

In case anyone is interested, Salty and Tek are now hitting a combined .245 with 8 HRs and 32 RBIs in 64 games. That's a 20 HR, 80 RBI pace for the season, which definitely would rank among the best catching combos in baseball.

There's still a lot of baseball to be played, so we'll see if they reach those marks. Injuries, of course, still could be a factor. But with the way Tito is using Tek, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tek stay strong all year.

If you want to have fun, go find the idiotic threads from the second week of the season calling Salty and Tek a bust. Those posters deserved to be mocked, not because it's looking like they're wrong, but because of how quick they were to judge.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

For the record, I was always behind this catching combo..It made the most sense with the situation they were in..Tek is the perfect backup for salty..he and Gary Tuck have taught that kid a ton already..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day:
    For the record, I was always behind this catching combo..It made the most sense with the situation they were in..Tek is the perfect backup for salty..he and Gary Tuck have taught that kid a ton already..
    Posted by southpaw777

I never wanted Salty for Buch when it was brought up a couple of years ago. But when the Sox got him for nothing, I was fine with it. The front office, coaches and scouts must have seen something in Salty to give him the chance, and we're startng to see it.

And isn't this what Tek bashers have wanted for a couple of years -- to pair Tek with a young catcher to mentor and to keep Tek from wearing down by the end of June?

I don't know if this production will last the entire season or if Salty is even a long-term solution as the No. 1 catcher. But I know you can't make judgements for good or bad in just 18 games, which was what a few of the more moronic posters were doing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I was about to start a thread on Salty over .250 in BA.  I'll happily submit to your thread instead, Roy!

I am always happy to give reclamation projects a chance.  Salty having the "yips" in Texas seemed like a mental issue and it looks asd though he's had enough help by Tek and the trust Theo and Tito put in him ...

I realize that few of the reclamation projects Theo has attempted have worked out for us.  That isn't really the issue, as far as I'm concerned. 

Salty's doing better and better at the plate.  Confidence and talent working togther are a strong mix.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Many of the forum regulars are grumpy old men who are happier complaining than doing anything else. When you notice that they are experts on 1940s and 50s old movies and spend their lives at youtube then you can picture that they are the GERITOL Gang. Did I say that they are also conservative Republicans who still think that Dewey beat Truman?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

haha i was gonna post the same thread

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Many of the forum regulars are grumpy old men who are happier complaining than doing anything else. When you notice that they are experts on 1940s and 50s old movies and spend their lives at youtube then you can picture that they are the GERITOL Gang. Did I say that they are also conservative Republicans who still think that Dewey beat Truman?
    Posted by Your-Echo
    If you're lucky, you may live as long as people you're insulting on a sports board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Posted by Your-Echo

Well, this movie is from 1969, so it may not qualify.

But since I'm spending my life on youtube anyway, might as well...

http://youtu.be/Ul0rsbGjQ4U

But I ain't no Republican and I don't take no Geritol!

And Dewey did beat Truman, ya idiot.  Here's proof:

But I still can't figure out for the life of me why Harry was smiling about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Although I waited until they had a collective 120 AB or so between them before starting to "bash" Salty, I was a basher. No question about it. I don't care much what Tek gives us offensively because he is the back up and a solid defensive catcher but I was and still am nervous about Salty as our starting level catcher. Fortunately I'm a heck of a lot less nervous about him right now.

Salty's RH swing looks a lot better than it did a month ago and his LH swing is at least making more contact. He does have some pop. He had such an acute upper cut swing that I wasn't seeing a lot of contact at all from the LH side.

Salty's numbers have been pretty bad for several years now. He was in AAA ball most of last year and hit .250 ( and only .167 in 24 mlb AB ). He hit .233 with the Rangers the year before. Sometimes slugger types can take longer to develop as hitters and hopefully that is what is happening. it may also be that he has already peaked for this team. The numbers are not his friend. Hopefully they will be going forward.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Boom,

If I recall correctly, Salty was hurt at the beginning of last year. It's also a stretch to say his numbers were pretty bad for a several years.

Last year certainly was a step back. But although he batted just .233 in 2009, he did have 9 HRs in just 283 at-bats. Also, from 2007-2009, he batted .251 with 23 HRs, 93 RBIs in 789 AB. That's decent production for a catcher.

His career minor league numbers also were very strong.

Catchers are often late bloomers, so hopefully, things are starting to come together. He's still just 26 years old.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Red Sox continue to be without a solid defensive catcher. Salty is improving, but isn't ever going to be more than marginal defensive catcher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Some good stuff here.
    Nothing wrong with a catching tandem. It has it's advantages. A FT receiver is likely to be on fumes come October. The tandem keep em both fresh.

As for the 'OVER THE HILL GANG' the fact Papi/Wake/Tek are strutting their stuff
    justifies why they are the final three - and why they were worth bringing back every year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Posted by Your-Echo

The two things I learned in my life that helped me the most:
    1) I don't know everything.
    2) Older people are worth listening to.

And your comment says a lot about your upbringing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Young catchers are a rare comodity. Looks like Salty may be one. Sox got him for nothing. "Tek is the perfect catcher for him to learn from. Beck's sure does love him some 'Tek too.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's with Vtek's "reborn" arm?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Must be his fiancée.

Tongue out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not sayin it is going to happen, but I did project the 2011 Sox catchers could come close to last year's .793 team catcher OPS. At the rate they are improving now, the may end up with offensive numbers that approach those of the DH, VMart.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No chance of that, Moonslo. Define "approach"...................

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Saltys d is vastly improving and hes hitting the laces off the ball..another 3 hits yesterday..I think salty has EARNED the respect of most of the fans for his hard work and determination to prove why he was such a highly regarded catching prospect..Roy is exactly right..GREAT catchers are very very hard to come by and most of them dont even sniff the bigs til around 25..salty wasnt handled correctly by the rangers IMO..I ,for one, believe in this kid and will keep backing him like I have all along..Some "fans" need to learn what the word patience means..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Saltys d is vastly improving and hes hitting the laces off the ball..another 3 hits yesterday..I think salty has EARNED the respect of most of the fans for his hard work and determination to prove why he was such a highly regarded catching prospect..Roy is exactly right..GREAT catchers are very very hard to come by and most of them dont even sniff the bigs til around 25..salty wasnt handled correctly by the rangers IMO..I ,for one, believe in this kid and will keep backing him like I have all along..Some "fans" need to learn what the word patience means..
    Posted by southpaw777

It's funny. I wasn't exactly thrilled when the Sox first got him because of all the hype that preceded his arrival -- when there were all those posters who wanted to trade Buch for him.

I was confident that Buch was the real deal and when I started paying attention to what Salty was doing, he seemed to be going backward. So I looked at him as someone else's overhyped prospect.

Therefore, when he came to the Red Sox, I rooted for him simply because he wore the jersey, but I was very skeptical. When it was apparent that Salty-Tek was the tandom, I was holding my breath.

The slow start didn't really concern me because I know it was too soon to judge, but I still had the same skepticism. However, over time, watching his approach, his apparent desire to learn (from Tuck and Tek) and how he seems to be a good kid, I've become a fan.

Now I want him to do well, not simply because of the jersey, but because he seems to be the type of player you want to root for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : It's funny. I wasn't exactly thrilled when the Sox first got him because of all the hype that preceded his arrival -- when there were all those posters who wanted to trade Buch for him. I was confident that Buch was the real deal and when I started paying attention to what Salty was doing, he seemed to be going backward. So I looked at him as someone else's overhyped prospect. Therefore, when he came to the Red Sox, I rooted for him simply because he wore the jersey, but I was very skeptical. When it was apparent that Salty-Tek was the tandom, I was holding my breath. The slow start didn't really concern me because I know it was too soon to judge, but I still had the same skepticism. However, over time, watching his approach, his apparent desire to learn (from Tuck and Tek) and how he seems to be a good kid, I've become a fan. Now I want him to do well, not simply because of the jersey, but because he seems to be the type of player you want to root for.
    Posted by royf19

I was screaming not to trade Buch for an unproven catcher with a lot of hype also..When they got him for nothing really, I also questioned it, But i realize that that is why they have the FO jobs and I dont. Ive really grown to like the kid too because of his great work ethic and willingness to learn more, like you said..Thats the kind of player I would like on the team I root for..3 more hits last night didnt hurt either for the kid..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : I was screaming not to trade Buch for an unproven catcher with a lot of hype also..When they got him for nothing really, I also questioned it, But i realize that that is why they have the FO jobs and I dont. Ive really grown to like the kid too because of his great work ethic and willingness to learn more, like you said..Thats the kind of player I would like on the team I root for..3 more hits last night didnt hurt either for the kid..
    Posted by southpaw777

And it's always fun to watch him shove it back in the face of all those who were quitting on him back in April with those "Salty is a bust/failure" posts.

Tongue out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

The Red Sox created the perfect classroom for this kid...and he knows it. Salty may be Varitek's lasting legacy with the Red Sox...and he knows it. Good stuff....let it happen....

Sections
Shortcuts