Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day

In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : Again -- wild pitches are on a pace for fewer wild pitches than last year, so your case defensively lies just on passed balls 14 last year, a pace for 20 this year. But Tek rarely has allowed passed balls, so I can see him going the rest of the year w/o one, plus, I don't know how many of the passed balls in either year came when Wake was pitching. Plus, Martinez made eight errors last year and the Sox catchers made nine total. This year, Salty has one error so far and Tek has zero, a pace for just two or three errors for the season. So your defensive argument is weak to non-existent. You're right. The small sample for Martinez this year isn't fair. But you're just guessing at what he'd do as a fulltime catcher. And if he was so great as a catcher, how come there was no interest by anyone in him in the offseason as a fulltime catcher. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, Don't take this wrong because I like Jason and realize why he is here to mentor Salty this season.  Jason had some very good years and still calls a pretty good game. 

Victor made 6 errors as a catcher last season and caught Wake all the time with only 4 PB, thats not bad considering the offense Victor gave us without the need to carry a catcher for Wake who couldn't hit.  There were three primary reasons we traded for Victor.

#1 His career FLG. percentage was just as good as Jason
    #2 He could catch Wake, be used in multiple positions and hit
    #3 Jason was still here to help Victor learn the staff

In Theo's mind it was a win/win and the correct move for our team at the time so a few errors were insignificant overall.  We let Victor and Beltre go because of age and length of contract.  This allowed us to sign two younger stars to build around.  Jason is still here primarily to mentor Salty for a year in hopes he becomes a better defender and a bit more comfortable with our staff.

Next season will probably be time for another youngster in RF and back up catcher if they earn the spot.  Moving into next season we still have plenty of available cash to fill any voids we may have.  Wake, Jason, Cam, Scutaro, J.D and possibly even Pap off the books?  This is why Theo deserves a lot of credit along with all the guys that have mentored youngsters who are now a huge part of our success.

We are only as strong as our weakest link 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : I didn't say he was a great catcher, just better than Salty or Tek. And his ability to play 1B was a plus. You have to admit offensively there is no comparison. was he great at throwing out runners, no. Did he block balls in the dirt well, IMO yes. Vmart had 6 errors at C and 2 at 1B. He did only have 4 PB's; Cash had 6, Brown 2, Tek 1, and Molina 1. Tek and Salty have 4 each thus far. True, neither is used to catching Wake, so they get the benefit, but Vmart did a great job catching him; that is indisputable. He also caught most of Lester's and Buch's starts, and they had CY caliber seasons.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

That's the point -- he's not better than Salty and Tek and you haven't proved it. He makes more errors, and Salty is better this year throwing out runners than Martinez was last year so in both cases, defense is an upgrade. Tek traditionally is better than both at blocking the plate -- that always was a strength of his. As for passed balls, I need to see the breakdown with Wake before a comment can be made.

Yes, overall Martinez is a better hitter, but there simply was no need for him this year. You're not going to play him at DH over Ortiz. You're not going to play him 1B over Gonzalez. Unless he could catch 130-plus games, he wasn't worth what he wanted. And with the rest of the lineup they have, it was in the Sox's interest to try to develop a younger catcher and a Salty-Tek combo is better than Martinez-Salty combo.

I'm not sure how much of the CERA argument I believe -- I think there is something to it. But let's forget about that for a moment. When Sox pitchers like Schilling and others over the years talk about the value Tek behind the plate and when Martinez himself praises Tek for how much Tek helped him in handling pitchers, having Tek to mentor Salty is better than having Martinez mentor Salty.

I like Martinez, but he wasn't the catcher of the future. That being the case, it was the right decision not to re-sign him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty-Tek Bashers Looking More Foolish by the Day : Alibi, I think most of us would have loved to keep VMart, but "you can't always get what you want!"  RS (Rolling Stones / Red Sox)  Given the cost of new acquisitions, there were limited $ to spend elsewhere! I was a huge basher of Salty when EVERYTHING was going wrong.  It seemed to me at the time, that HE was the root of the problem???  Of course, we were all pretty shell shocked, & were all looking for answers...  Given the situation, I was screaming for Tek. to call 1/2 of the games & give this kid more time to learn.  I was also in favor of cutting our losses ASAP, but it seemed clear there wasn't much out there at the C spot.  Thank God the Sox went with giving Tek a bigger role!  At his age, I think catching 2 out of 5 is about the max?  It definitely has helped to have Tek pick up some of the load, & slow the game down for Salty :)  Anyway, given the situation, I'm pretty damn happy to be WRONG about the kid. All in all, the kid has REALLY STEPPED UP!   I give him huge credit for fighting through a very rough start!  It shows a lot of character!  I never stopped rooting for him, & I'm actually starting to really like the kid!  Tek deserves a lot of credit for this turn around!   :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Yup!!!

After the 2-10 start, Tito went with Tek over Salty. And, "coincidently", the pitching staff soon followed with their best run of the season.
    Voo doo at it's finest!

And once Tito matched Salty with Buch/Lester - and Tek with Becket/Dice (Aceves), everything began to stabilize.

Imagine that!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Varitek is hitting .234 OBP OBP .327 SLG .372, in part time duty. He is stiff and has dulled senses and is terrible blocking and catching. He wants another contract. Don't give it to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You have no scope in the pitcher/catcher equation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Do not give Varitik another contract. Lavarnway, Wally, anything but Varitik.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Do not give Varitik another contract. Lavarnway, Wally, anything but Varitik.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Jason is fine as our back up this season and will hopefully give us some occasional help at the plate.  I certainy wouldn't sign him to another contract, if anything it would be for a year if Lavarnway isn't quite ready.  Lavarnway could give us another DH or back up C option which would be nice.  The kid also has a good eye and strong arm, the last I heard Ryan had thrown out over 40% of the baserunners trying to steal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Red Sox are now 19-9 in Varitek's starts.  They were 18-9 last year.  That's 37-18 combined, which is a .673 winning pct. that translates to a 109-53 season record.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

And to extend that into non-sample-size territory, the RedSox play .600 ball when Tek starts - appx .500 when he doesn't. This covers every year since he first became a FT catcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox are now 19-9 in Varitek's starts.  They were 18-9 last year.  That's 37-18 combined, which is a .673 winning pct. that translates to a 109-53 season record.   

Where's the guy the clown agreed with who kept posting the Sox win-loss record in games Wake pitched in?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I truly thought Salty's bat would ultimately come around and his power could bee significant for the Sox through the coming years but I did fear he would be between marginal and ordinary dfensively.He has surprised me with his technical improvement especially in his handling of pitchers and his mechanics throwing to the bases on steal attempts.He always had a strong arm but it just took him too long to get in the proper position for a quick release.It is obvious that his reputation of being a young guy who would work hard to become better was well earned.Even with just inclemental improvement he could be starting behind the platefor a good while.