Salty Update!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Salty Update!

Well, AJP went about exactly as I expected.

David Ross...looks to be every bit the 37 years his birth certificate would indicate.

Vazquez looks fine...for now. JBJ looked fine. Xander looked fine. Middlebrooks looked fine. Then they weren't, so I'm not juping in with both feet on Vazquez.

Hitting .224, down from his .240 career.

HR/RBI just about in line with his past, doubles slightly down but that's no surprise since he's not in Fenway any more (he had 40 doubles last year...terribly underrated).

Ks are at the inflated rate he's always had.

One stat jumped out at me though....walks. He currently has 41 walks in 255 at bats. His career high was in 2013, when he had 43 walks in 425 at bats. He's hitting .224, but his OBP is .330. For guys who have actually caught 70+ games this year, that's about 11th in the league out of roughly 27 guys.

On a new team, learning a new league, new pitchers, new teammates, new opponents, he's done fairly well. The concussion may have tempered this all a little, maybe not. He's doing well. He's not GREAT, but it was a mistake to let him go, and he is STILL getting better, as the stats prove out. If he learns a little plate discipline, as it seems he just about has, he will become a very dangerous hitting C.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Salty Update!

Salty was and always will be a decent hitting catcher with power. He's an average at best defensive catcher...wish him success but not a guy I see as worth spending a bunch of time wondering what if...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Salty's DWAR (defensive wins above replacement) right now is -.5, which ranks him as the 90th best defensive catcher in MLB.  He has 12 errors.  Last year he was better, but Farrell still benched him in order to win the WS against St Louis.  

Salty was a project, certainly a catcher who the Rangers had no interest in hanging onto.  In that context his current success and salary are an unalloyed triumph.  The Sox gave him a real shot, and he got better.  Last year he earned his WS ring.

But he was the wrong guy for the Sox in 2014 because of the talented catchers in the farm system.  He wanted and no doubt deserved a long term contract, and the Sox needed a one year guy.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Since May 4, Salty is hitting 182/282/300.  Looks like he's coming around a bit though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

SALTY ?  You say SALTY ????    Nothing to see here, move on !!!!   I would rather have SOFTY back !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'd have been happy with the AJ that the Cards got.

The bastid...

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

SALTY ?  You say SALTY ????    Nothing to see here, move on !!!!   I would rather have SOFTY back !!

[/QUOTE]

I have a big craving for pretzels all of a sudden.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, AJP went about exactly as I expected.

David Ross...looks to be every bit the 37 years his birth certificate would indicate.

Vazquez looks fine...for now. JBJ looked fine. Xander looked fine. Middlebrooks looked fine. Then they weren't, so I'm not juping in with both feet on Vazquez.

Hitting .224, down from his .240 career.

HR/RBI just about in line with his past, doubles slightly down but that's no surprise since he's not in Fenway any more (he had 40 doubles last year...terribly underrated).

Ks are at the inflated rate he's always had.

One stat jumped out at me though....walks. He currently has 41 walks in 255 at bats. His career high was in 2013, when he had 43 walks in 425 at bats. He's hitting .224, but his OBP is .330. For guys who have actually caught 70+ games this year, that's about 11th in the league out of roughly 27 guys.

On a new team, learning a new league, new pitchers, new teammates, new opponents, he's done fairly well. The concussion may have tempered this all a little, maybe not. He's doing well. He's not GREAT, but it was a mistake to let him go, and he is STILL getting better, as the stats prove out. If he learns a little plate discipline, as it seems he just about has, he will become a very dangerous hitting C.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Only a mistake if Vasquez or Swihart are not the real deal.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's fair enough, I just would have greatly preferred to have some catching consistency. Even more-so now considering they have 0 veteran starters left. Rookie pitchers AND catchers is tough. That part is hindsight, but some consistency at the catching position would be a good thing. Extended metrics aside, he's not really a detriment to the team with his defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Salty's offense was never a concern for me.  His offense was fine for a catcher.  I was never that high on him defensively, although I do think that he was continuing to improve and develop in that area.  As someone else mentioned, I don't think that his defense was bad enough to be a detriment to the team.  I also appreciated his work ethic.

I would not have been upset if Salty had been re-signed for 3 or fewer years.  Personally, I thought he was our best option due to his familiarity with our staff.

Having said that, I understand the FO's rationale behind not wanting to commit to someone for 3 years.  Also, I think there was more to the FO not wanting Salty back than just the # of years.  I just don't think they were that high on him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's fair enough, I just would have greatly preferred to have some catching consistency. Even more-so now considering they have 0 veteran starters left. Rookie pitchers AND catchers is tough. That part is hindsight, but some consistency at the catching position would be a good thing. Extended metrics aside, he's not really a detriment to the team with his defense.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

YEs, no doubt, the AJ-fill-in was terrible (and worse than expected).  I don't think anyone would argue that the Sox would not have been better off this year with Salty behind the plate.  But can we really compare without taking Salty's contract negotiations into account?  I don't like the inconsistency anymore than you do, but, thus far, Vazquez looks pretty darn ready for prime time.  His bat (of course subject to league adjustments in dsicovering his weaknesses) has been much better than advertised.  I love his swing.  And his D is just as advertised.  And Swihart has been ripping up the minors and, by many reposrts, will be pushing Vasquez for the job as early as next year.  So, I can't talk about Salty without this context.  

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts