1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikezep61. Show mikezep61's posts

Salty vs. "good" teams

Salty's batting avg. stats vs. AL teams with 85+ wins this season:

.071 Tampa Bay
    .100 Detroit
    .133 LA Angels
    .195 NY Yankees
    .233 Texas

.152 vs. top 5 teams in AL (21 hits /138 at bats)

Strikeout % vs. top 5 teams in AL:  .283 (39Ks/138 at bats)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Re: Salty vs. "good" teams

But that is his first full year playing as a catcher.  Give him some time, and he ll get better.

Do not forget Boston have alot of pitching problem where they have worn him out!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

He has virtually no plate discipline---he takes pitches right down the middle for strikes, then swings at pitches a mile out of the zone---and I'm not sure that can be taught. I'd like to see him cut down his super-long swing when he's got 2 strikes on him but I doubt that's gonna happen either. He was a sub elsewhere for a reason, and maybe that's all he should ever be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He is progressing very well defensively.

It would help this kid a lot if they would get rid of Wakefield so he wouldn't spend most of his summer chasing wild pitches around behind him.This guy has to be worn out after a "session" behing the plate with Wakelfield.

His offense will be fine, he will develope and be around for many years.

Red Sox fans tend to be impatient ( is that an understatement or what?), I'd hate to think we gave up on him and then he goes somewhere and becomes a Jeff Bagwell...a guy we wished we hadn't thrown out so quick.

I really have grown to like him alot in one season. I really never got to see much of him when he was with Texas or Atlanta. He looks like a good kid who is willing to give the extra effort to improve himself. I feel he has come a long way as a defensive catcher in one season, considering the problems he had before.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In Response to Re: Salty vs. "good" teams:
    He is progressing very well defensively. It would help this kid a lot if they would get rid of Wakefield so he wouldn't spend most of his summer chasing wild pitches around behind him.This guy has to be worn out after a "session" behing the plate with Wakelfield. His offense will be fine, he will develope and be around for many years. Red Sox fans tend to be impatient ( is that an understatement or what?), I'd hate to think we gave up on him and then he goes somewhere and becomes a Jeff Bagwell...a guy we wished we hadn't thrown out so quick. I really have grown to like him alot in one season. I really never got to see much of him when he was with Texas or Atlanta. He looks like a good kid who is willing to give the extra effort to improve himself. I feel he has come a long way as a defensive catcher in one season, considering the problems he had before.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I like him as well and I agree with your comment about getting rid of Wakefield. I still don't see him as an adequate defensive catcher but it's his terrible september at the plate against good teams that is most worrisome to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

I'd still like to know what was going through Theo's head when he let Victor Martinez go and picked up this guy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I'd still like to know what was going through Theo's head when he let Victor Martinez go and picked up this guy."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The guy has a hole in his swing. Theo not only makes bad free agency signings but bad trades like this one. Putting the catching in this guy's future hands is going to turn out like this fateful September again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Salty vs. "good" teams :  I like him as well and I agree with your comment about getting rid of Wakefield. I still don't see him as an adequate defensive catcher but it's his terrible september at the plate against good teams that is most worrisome to me.
    Posted by trouts

I tend to agree on the discipline thing.  He started off shaky, got a whole lot better in the middle of the year, and disappeared in September.  I think it's to early to tell one way or another, but this is his career high in starts.  He definitely needs to cut back on his swing.

I'd also add that he's been more than adequate overall, and only pulls down $750k.  He's still an excellent value.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Alex Avila, Carlos Santana & Matt Wieters.  That is a complete list of AL catchers with as many PAs as Salty (as a catcher) who have a better OPS.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd still like to know what was going through Theo's head when he let Victor Martinez go and picked up this guy. 
    Posted by joerock22

I'm not sure what that has to do with Salty.  Isn't VMart the DH for Detroit?  Don't we already have a really good DH?

Sections
Shortcuts