Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Salty

When the season started it looked to me that Salty was completely over matched both at the bat and in the field.  I didn't think he could hit at all, he was just flailing away.  Now, he looks great at the plate.  Even his outs are well hit balls and he is showing good power from both sides.  I think I, like many fans, was wrong and the Sox knew what they were doing with him.  I think, now that he has the confidence, he can develop into one of the top hitting catchers in baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Salty

salty will be even better when he learns to handle the ball/strike counts that are in his favor.  he has potential that he has not even yet scratched the surface of at this point.  he could easily become out six hole hitter on this year's team and bat 5th next year if david ortiz does not return.

when he starts 'taking' (even if they are strikes) pitches that are not better "hitter's pitches" when he has the count in his favor ( like 0-0) he will see better balls to hit later in the at-bat.

right now he is getting himself out on too many balls that are not good balls to swing at when the count is in his favor.

he is particularly weak on teh 0-0 count.  he very often lunges at breaking balls or fastballs away which give the pitcher the immediate advantage if he doesn't hit these pitches into fair territory.  the pitcher then can come back with another ball that is not a strike which then means that salty almost has to swing again at a pitch that is not a good "batter's pitch".

many of his quality hits have come when he does not swing at the 0-0 pitch that is not a good enough ball to swing at.

more patience, young man!  learn a small segment of the strike zone where you want the ball when that count is in your favor.   get a good ball to hit when the count is in your favor every at-bat. 

take a look at ted williams' hitting book and particularly at the strike zone batting averages diagram that is in the front part of the book.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I would like to see Salty more and Varitek less.He needs more consistent playing time than he is getting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Great to see Salty swinging the bat well.  Don't look now, but he's 5th in the AL in OPS among catchers with 150 PAs.  Just above (you guessed it) Russell Martin :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

He has power and has been getting better as the season has progressed. It started with his defense. If your defense is decent other parts of your game can get better. And of course if the offense is good the defense follows. It is a talent and confidence issue.
    Also, Varitek has helped mentor this kid. Sox management put pressure on Salty by naming him their starting catcher. Looks like a good move. He has a large upside. The second half of the season will answer any lingering questions concerning his abilities as a starter. Wear and tear are culprits, but the Captain can help as he has in 2011 as he lightens the load for Salty. Go get them kid...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2011    Martin  vs  Salty

HR          9            5
    XBH       15          18
    OBP     .336        .322
    SLG     .398        .440

Were the Theo bashers too quick to pounce in April?  funny that

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Salty:
    [QUOTE]2011    Martin  vs  Salty HR          9            5 XBH       15          18 OBP     .336        .322 SLG     .398        .440 Were the Theo bashers too quick to pounce in April ?  funny that
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

and salty is trending upwards and martin is spiraling down after early season power spurt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]salty will be even better when he learns to handle the ball/strike counts that are in his favor.  he has potential that he has not even yet scratched the surface of at this point.  he could easily become out six hole hitter on this year's team and bat 5th next year if david ortiz does not return. when he starts 'taking' (even if they are strikes) pitches that are not better "hitter's pitches" when he has the count in his favor ( like 0-0) he will see better balls to hit later in the at-bat. right now he is getting himself out on too many balls that are not good balls to swing at when the count is in his favor. he is particularly weak on teh 0-0 count.  he very often lunges at breaking balls or fastballs away which give the pitcher the immediate advantage if he doesn't hit these pitches into fair territory.  the pitcher then can come back with another ball that is not a strike which then means that salty almost has to swing again at a pitch that is not a good "batter's pitch". many of his quality hits have come when he does not swing at the 0-0 pitch that is not a good enough ball to swing at. more patience, young man!  learn a small segment of the strike zone where you want the ball when that count is in your favor.   get a good ball to hit when the count is in your favor every at-bat.  take a look at ted williams' hitting book and particularly at the strike zone batting averages diagram that is in the front part of the book.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

Charlie,

Great post.

I appreciate the OP as well.  I am the "blind optimist" that starts out trusting the FOs plans and defends them until they truly don't work out.  It is gratifying to see Salty do so well.  He's even begun to win over some of the Boston press. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]2011    Martin  vs  Salty HR          9            5 XBH       15          18 OBP     .336        .322 SLG     .398        .440 Were the Theo bashers too quick to pounce in April ?  funny that
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Naaaaahhhhh.

Pounce, nuh-uh.  Crucify ....

Still funny, though ....  We get to enjoy it.

And as your following poster says, they are going in opposite directions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm startung to like this kid more and more.

Perhaps catching guru Gary Tuck deserves some credit for Salt's developement. But Theo obviously was aware the kid had potential.

I admit, I had some serious doubts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]I'm startung to like this kid more and more. Perhaps catching guru Gary Tuck deserves some credit for Salt's developement. But Theo obviously was aware the kid had potential. I admit, I had some serious doubts.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Any credit for Salty's progress has to be given to Varitek, after all he is the greatest game caller in the history of the universe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I was ahead of the curve loving Salty...as always

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]salty will be even better when he learns to handle the ball/strike counts that are in his favor.  he has potential that he has not even yet scratched the surface of at this point.  he could easily become out six hole hitter on this year's team and bat 5th next year if david ortiz does not return. when he starts 'taking' (even if they are strikes) pitches that are not better "hitter's pitches" when he has the count in his favor ( like 0-0) he will see better balls to hit later in the at-bat. right now he is getting himself out on too many balls that are not good balls to swing at when the count is in his favor. he is particularly weak on teh 0-0 count.  he very often lunges at breaking balls or fastballs away which give the pitcher the immediate advantage if he doesn't hit these pitches into fair territory.  the pitcher then can come back with another ball that is not a strike which then means that salty almost has to swing again at a pitch that is not a good "batter's pitch". many of his quality hits have come when he does not swing at the 0-0 pitch that is not a good enough ball to swing at. more patience, young man!  learn a small segment of the strike zone where you want the ball when that count is in your favor.   get a good ball to hit when the count is in your favor every at-bat.  take a look at ted williams' hitting book and particularly at the strike zone batting averages diagram that is in the front part of the book.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

Great post charlie..Salty is making the FO look smart..They do have an eye for young talent IMO..Like Yaz, I like to give it a chance before jumping all over one of the FO signings..Take an optimistic approach. I have to say, I did like this signing from the start as was stated in many of my prior posts..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I was ahead of the curve loving Salty...as always
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

What the world needs is more prognosticators.

Please tell us Nostrodamus and the Mayans were wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I was ahead of the curve loving Salty...as always
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I'll happily give you a pat on the back for that!

... anytime you're ahead of the curve loving sumthin'!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 5/30/2008
    Last: 6/27/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a26470b85-989a-4e42-a721-79927ac9b320&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:26470b85-989a-4e42-a721-79927ac9b320Post:d1f59b1a-0cc7-406e-9fdb-f31a316f27cb">Re: Salty:
    I was ahead of the curve loving Salty...as always
    Posted by georom4

What the world needs is more prognosticators.

Please tell us Nostrodamus and the Mayans were wrong.

The Maya (I have been informed that is the new proper way {since 1998 at least} to refer to this ancient culture...) never mentioned the work of Nostrodamus and vice versa.

Unless of course, they did  ... but the few Maya "books" left unburnt by the Spanish make no reference of the sage.

Leads me to think they are likely at least out of step. 

I am always interested in the fact that the Maya did not see their end coming....

Sections
Shortcuts